1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Where is the aegisalt rifle?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Axl4325, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Axl4325

Axl4325 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I liked it, it was pretty much balanced, but they replaced it with a bow that is not that good in comparisonwith other weapons that you can easily find in volcanic planets, and the aegisalt pistol is bad. This makes the craft system (in my opinion) not that good for humans. I havent tested other races btw

2. caden2112

caden2112 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

There's no more racial weaponry, so everyone gets stuck with the laser bow and pistols. THAT SAID, the Laser Bow's alt-fire is pretty useful (The shot splits the first time it hits something. Including if you shoot an enemy with it. Though a missile launcher or sniper rifle is still more effective for 'giant chunks of enemy health disappearing at long range' needs.

3. aerionop

aerionop Big Damn Hero

The current table of crafted weapons/armor is a complete joke. They really Really REALLY want you to search/find/use the rng stuff. If you're unlucky, you might never find a weapon you're comfortable playing with...

4. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

I miss 2-Handed Axes so bad... :cry:

5. Snebbers

Snebbers Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Completely agree with the 2 craftable weapons per manipulator/accelerator/seperator table being an absolutely joke. Talk about hollow gameplay with barely any variety.

CorraidhĂ­n and Axe Garian like this.
  6. Kilowolf

Kilowolf Big Damn Hero

Agreed, I am dissapointed with the craft able weapons in the 1.0 build. No idea why they would take out racial styles for weapons and take just about all weapons out of the crafting menu =/

Axe Garian likes this.
  7. Xanirus

Xanirus Ketchup Robot

I'm probably least affected by this as I'm finding guns up the wazoo anyway. Armor is one thing, since they're mostly static, but I feel like if they put back craftable weapons everyone will just be using the same weapons. Again. The hunt for weapon loot or shopping at vendors would be meaningless then.

julamad likes this.
  8. Snebbers

Snebbers Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So then they should come up with a balance. Some legendary weapons that you can craft perhaps with some rarer materials but have really nice effects/abilities or dps that competes with loot found on planets in trash bags/crates/chests etc. It seems to be too much on one side so the other is obsolete over the course of the development period. Considering most weapons aren't static anymore either, and require a bit of RNG to get the better side of stats (okay it's only minor) means that craftable weapons are just meh. If I made an aegisalt pistol 20 times I'd always get the same stats.

Surely looking at it in this way means that if you crafted aegisalt weapons but they had RNG stats then they should at least be on par with weapons found of the same rarity on planets? Alright I understand making the same weapon 10 times to get the perfect roll of stats / ability doesn't sound appealing, but neither does hoping you find the perfect weapon in a storage item either, not to me anyway. At least that way you can guarentee the weapon type.

Regardless, there needs to be more craftable weapons to even start tackling the issue.

Xanirus likes this.
  9. Xanirus

Xanirus Ketchup Robot

I wouldn't mind RNG stats in crafted weapons actually.

10. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

Are you sure? What if you got a weapon which is exactly the same (Or worse) as a randomly-generated weapon you already had?

11. Xanirus

Xanirus Ketchup Robot

And? That's the risk you take, hence RNG.

It kind of goes back to what I was originally saying in this thread. In order to justify crafting a weapon, the stats would have to be at least halfway decent to warrant spending precious resources on it, otherwise it would seem just like a waste of time. But If you have pretty much decent craftable weapons anyway, why would you ever use the hundreds of other ones you find in your travels? When the Aegisalt rifle was still in the game, I had the same problem, I never used anything else.

Like the other guy said, the system lies too heavily on the hunt side. Can you imagine how fun the hunt for weapons would be in Borderlands if you could just craft your own guns? (Or in contrast, weapons in Diablo?) Probably not that much. I'm only personally voting for the hunt for longetivity reasons: it's something fun to do in the game that never ends, and a fun way to make money. Be a gun salesman, etc.

This is why I kind of liked the idea that the craftable weapons list was truncated. If anything else it actually "helps" with using a variety of weapons, not taking it away.

But for those who would rather craft a weapon for instant gratification, having them craft at random stats would be nice instead of the end all be all solution for weapon needs.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  12. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

The problem is that crafting random weapons would feel strange. It would be better to instead craft weapons with unique behaviors (Think of the following: If you had to choose between a random rocket launcher, and one which uses up all energy but damages all onscreen enemies for less damage than the random Rocket Launcher, the result would depend on the situation), since it IS possible for Merchant tenants to sell random weapons, so making a house, summoning a Merchant, checking it's inventory and removing and placing the Colony Deed again until a Merchant with a good weapon spawns can be used for the same effect.

Axe Garian, [curly] servo and Xanirus like this.
  13. julamad

julamad Void-Bound Voyager

Give this man a cookie.

Also, the aegisalt bow is far overpowered, the r click is stronger, the arrow is not afected by gravity,pierces AND splits in multiple arrows that bounce at walls at high speed like 5 times, if you have the last tier aegisalt armor you have 5 susecive shots, 1 shot kills everything and at the same time weakens enemies arround, once you craft it you don't need any other ranged weapon, not even a one handed, I forgot to tell it also emits light... you shouldn't miss the aegisalt A.R.

14. Xanirus

Xanirus Ketchup Robot

That's actually a much better idea. Or probably the ability to craft more weapons like those fists, or more unique things like the boomerang which I've found two of already. (Speaking of such weapons like the boomerang, does anyone know if the difficulty of the planet you find them in affect the power/stats?)

Axe Garian and STCW262 like this.
  15. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

And even adding weapons with statlines that can't appear in random weapons would be possible, such as adding a craftable Novakid shotgun (The Tungsten shotgun could be used for this) that packs a punch and has an insanely high fire rate, but acts semi-automatically and only gets 2 shots off with a full energy bar at the tier it's found, making it act as a double-barreled shotgun.

Snebbers and Axe Garian like this.
  16. PennySTI

PennySTI Seal Broken

I really want the aegisalt rifle back, it was the weapon I used almost everytime. I get that they want us to search and explore but maybe they could let us modify in a way weapons that we find. Like if I found an assault rifle but dont like its appearance it would be nice if i could change it, right? I hope they plan on putting it back, it went so well with my human in Seeker's set armor. Looked like Master Chief :D For now im using a sniper rifle I found exploring the vast and magical world of starbound... Gonna try the bow see what it feels like but I mainly like assault rifles. Theyyyyyrrrrrree Grrrreeeeat!!!

17. Ralij

Ralij Big Damn Hero

I never understood why guns weren't on the crafting table to begin with. You know how hard it is to keep a steady set of gear that you like every time you tier up? I guess it forces me to try new things, but eh. There's always mods I guess. Lyira's gunshop mod has some decently balanced guns and the sounds are a zillion times better than the default. I'd admin command them in though, the prices are crazy expensive.