1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Where do you stake a claim?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Kirumaru, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Kirumaru

Kirumaru Pangalactic Porcupine

I've been wondering: How do other players choose where they are going to settle down?

It's so hard for me to break away from the starter planet. Quiet. Peaceful. Low population. Earth-like.

Don't get me wrong, I've built ocean planet and asteroid bases to varying degrees, but I almost always end up with a home b ase on the starter planet on almost every character I play. Before teleportation was such a convenient thing, like most everyone I was nomadic hoarder aboard my ship. But now, unless I make a conscious effort NOT to do it, I almost always end up beefing up the starter world with full amenities and using every other planet I encounter for resources.

What about you guys? How do you decide?

Alkanthe likes this.
  2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

There is an initial attachment to the starting world since you basically spend the most time on it, statistically.

Alkanthe likes this.
  3. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

I build colonies on barren planets. I am also making a giant space castle in an asteroid field, making it entirely out of ferozium, impervium and printed blocks (mostly steel blocks). I still have my starter planet marked, and I go back there occasionally to remember where it all began.

Kirumaru likes this.
  4. jakecool19

jakecool19 Pangalactic Porcupine

At first I used to make tenements on the starter planet, but now my home, storage area, and colony are on a x 3000 Forest planet with a Spring mini biome and a re-purposed Apex Test lab. I woul like to do it on a Tropical planet, but realistically speaking, I don't think anyone wants to live on a planet bombarded by radiation. I don't want a mushroom mini biome because I don't want to have to evict the nice Agaransss. Finally I like to the Apex Lab because turn it into a market. You know in the spirit of Floran reverse engineering and because I lack creativity.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
    Alkanthe and Kirumaru like this.
  5. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

How do other players choose where they are going to settle down?

One word..... Trees.

I want to find a planet that has sexy trees. Once I do, I settle there as my primary. The starter is good, but the pines get boring. I try to find birch trees.

Kirumaru likes this.
  6. Kirumaru

Of course! Why didn't I think of that! Haha.

I like the idea of the Forest + Spring Biome. The idea of trying to hunt down an ideal mini-biome hadn't occurred to me.
    Back in Koala, I spent hours and hours trying to track down "New Earth" which had to have:
    Brown Dirt
    Green Grass
    Earth-like trees
    Regular water
    No environmental hazards (acid rain, meteors).

Sometimes I'd find the perfect planet and after an hour of building, meteors would destroy everything.
    I really like and appreciate the weather monitor on our ship that gives us a heads up, I do miss the old days full of surprises. Haha.

Anyway, now they basically give me the "New Earth" every character I create. It took the wind out of my sails for a while back in the day we switched over to Giraffe.

Alkanthe and roman.stanash like this.
  7. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

After harvesting a couple of worlds including the starter planet (leaving them ruined beyond repair) i tend to search for the worst hellhole i can find (often a extreme lava planet) and build a base there (but i do make sure to avoid worlds with astroids).

Kirumaru likes this.
  8. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Hmm.... Beyond the search for a peaceful Koala race... hmm...

I guess the environment, terrain, hostile, docile, specific features, the sentient, and overall atmosphere.

• I generally look for planets in which appeal to myself.
    • Forest like or with lots of plants.
    • Interesting terrain; which could be a mix of how the place rolls or sharpens around the place.
    • structures that are prominent on the surface and underground; the former more than latter with the exception of ocean worlds in which I check the floor of the ocean as well.
    • If I don't like the hostiles that are there... Might second guess it. As well what said below, the variety of them is lacking since well you know the unique ones are taking too much space, but do run into one here or there.
    • docile as in those that are neutral or farm animals per say. Not many in the current version. Hope that is more spread out.
    • Civilization that is already on the planet. This will be a heavy decision on whether I want to mess with them or not.
    • What resources are available on the planet. This can be for ores, trees, and various items that you can get; now we need some way the vines regrow, that would be nice. Or the vine trees to drop saplings again.
    • Overall look, which I am not terribly too picky, but do have a preference, since volcanic worlds don't have many plant-life, however a snowy world is interesting enough to come up with a few ideas because of the plant life. I don't know but I am sure I can come up with ideas for all of them, except barren planets. Those are just too flat, and have no life.

That is all I can think of off the top of my head.:nuruhappy:

9. Lintton

Lintton Guest

I think I'd try making a colony on a forest planet with white trees if I found it again. In the meantime I have a large asteroid colony and a small experimental colony on a barren planet. Hopefully the asteroid one lasts, it's got 60+ tenants...

It's hard to tear away from that starter planet, and I usually make a big place before I'm done, but in the end I know there's better out there.

My asteroid home is far more difficult though, 16000 blocks seems like a much bigger undertaking, I wonder if there is smaller...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2016
    Kirumaru and jakecool19 like this.
  10. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

Basically what i want to do is. Starter planet as my home and a farm, Forest, Desert, Ocean, An Ice/Snow world, and maybe a barren for full scale construction.

11. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Hmm... The thing about colonies is that their rewards are based upon a planet's threat level. So making a colony on a peacefull and nice world isen't realy to your benefit.

12. Thalant

Thalant Zero Gravity Genie

Well, since you anyway come to a point of the game when you essentially have far more money than you'll ever probably need, I think it's better to build it where you like it more. Unless you are looking for merchants that sell high tier armors, in which case I think you've gotta build their houses in a high threat planet, but that can be done separately.

Alkanthe likes this.
  13. Kirumaru

I get this, but defending on a high tier world is so tedious.
    I'm kind of a noob when it comes to colonies, though.

14. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Yyyyyeah. I make plenty just by planet-skimming and selling off the weapons, shields and seeds I find. Money is only a concern if I go nuts 3D printing a ton of stuff for a specific build.

Any rate, for me it's matching a theme for the character I've made that dictates my homeworld.

I recently went on a long planet-hunt for my new homeworld, to re-rebuild my big complex as the current one is on a first-Giraffe-build world, so it's got the sparse backdrops and lack of current microdungeons... and also because parts of it are now inaccessible thanks to the removal of the Toxictop trees (no really I get force-warped back to the ship), and there's all that crafting station revamping that's coming that's gonna take some room re-figuring, so I'm gonna be basically starting my main character over ANYWAY (so she can do all the said new crafting), but then getting her to the old homestead to tear it down and rebuild on the newly-chosen world.

I knew I wanted a Forest world, what with the Floran. I wanted green leaves and reddish-brown trunks, as I also build giant trees out of the available tiles, and I wanted them to blend in visually. I didn't want any Glitch castles or Apex labs or villages, as part of the backstory is she ended up on a planet with a USCM penal colony on it and well let's just say it's now part of her big complex, so I needed a planet pretty unpopulated to really work that in, as I gotta build one of those myself since those prisons don't generate on a world that low-tier.

I've found one, and really I'm jsut kinda waiting at this point for the next Stable update. Though I might start laying SOME foundations if I end up with some spare time.

Tamorr likes this.
  15. Ralij

Ralij Big Damn Hero

Due to a lack of automated sprinklers at the present in the regular build I have a preference for worlds with heavy rains so usually either the starter world or forest worlds. I really don't like building on ocean worlds due to the density of the monster population on those islands.Though I guess I should really try to build floating cities and ships... though I guess they'd just spawn there too.

16. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Well, in theory, once you place a background block, that grid-bit is supposed to become a place where monsters cannot spawn. Permanently. Even if you then remove the background block.

In theory.

17. Lintton

Lintton Guest

I think I'll try that for my next colony. How's a extreme meteor shower home sound like to you? :)

18. MrVauxs

MrVauxs Giant Laser Beams

I normally build colonies underwater and on the volcanos
    cus they look such badass :nurucool:

19. Ralij

Ralij Big Damn Hero

Doesn't seem to work very well... on the other hand it might just be because all of the colonists leave their door wide open at all times of the day and night. Will have to try it with an inescapable pit on either side and see if it works. Five dollars say all the villagers get stuck in there >.>

20. Thalant

Thalant Zero Gravity Genie

You can also use light sensors if you want the doors to be opened during day and closed during night. Or a switch for whenever you want to lock them inside/let them free.