1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Where are the USMC bunkers?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by twixelstix, Jul 27, 2016.

1. SamuelXproductions

SamuelXproductions Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That makes perfect sense! I've noticed in the missions that those two NPC types never appear at the same time because they would kill each other! I hope they fix that bug and get the USCM Bunkers back in the game.

2. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

The bunkers were probably removed for lore reasons rather than a bug.

M_Sipher likes this.
  3. Gon009

Gon009 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I think you are right. Florian dungeons have the same problem and they are still in game. It's sad that devs removed fine content because they "didn't like it" as they said lately.

Darkspinesupersonic8 likes this.
  4. Darkspinesupersonic8

Darkspinesupersonic8 Pangalactic Porcupine

Indeed, I agree... it is quite sad. :/

5. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Yeah, really disappointing how they try and present their narrative in a internally consistent fashion, where things that don't make sense within the context of the story they're trying to tell are altered or removed. Who does that?

(Aside from any editor/storyteller worth a quarter of a damn)

6. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Okay, lemme back up that snark.

The new core-story for humanity, with the Star-Trek-y Federation-y Protectorate, is not incompatible with the existence of a USMC paramilitary-ish organization that keeps offworld penal colonies for dangerous criminals. It DOES, however, have issues with such an organization that has a shoot-to-kill-first-ask-questions-never SOP, plus given the fate of Earth and the position of humanity as a newly-endangered, newly-homeless species, the idea of encouraging players to slaughter their way through an Earth-government installation by default is... unpleasant, let's go with.

On top of that... those were not good dungeons anyway. They were the weakest of the Koala-era hostile dungeons. Small, confined, and badly laid-out. The Bunkers are incredibly first-draft in feel. Their contemporaries outshone them in look and design. Even the old Sci-Fi Dungeons, while really primitive by current standards, at least had some good layouts going and a sense of progression. And the dungeons added since leave them in the dust in every regard.

When a stone castle or wood-and-thatch primitive cavern outdo a supposedly high-tech facility as a game environment? Time to re-evaluate the facility.

Thus... better to go ahead and remove them for now, focus on building up other stuff, and work out how to better work in the assets of the old Bunkers in some form that both blends better into the current story AND provides a better play experience AND looks better. Maybe we'll see non-hostile USMC bases. Maybe they'll be a major part of the space station deal that's coming up. Maybe they'll end up becoming lore rather than a force we actually ever directly interact with.

But "it used to exist" does not mean it needs to exist now in the final, as it did back when the game was effectively in alpha.

Corleone likes this.
  7. SamuelXproductions

I agree. I hope they rework the USCM bunkers dungeons into something new and good. And not just that but also other removed dungeons too. It would be nice to have more structures and it is lacking in someplaces.

8. Sharp(JQ)

Sharp(JQ) Ketchup Robot

By the way, I absolutely do not like the new humans in the release. Cheerful idiots who for 500 years have not built a single colony? I wonder why the florans did not destroy them?

SamuelXproductions and Pingeh like this.
  9. SamuelXproductions

Exactly. The new human lore just makes no logical sense.