1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What's YOUR playstyle? Share with us!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Seria-Myouna, Jun 16, 2013.

1. macodelo

macodelo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Perhaps you we can make peace? I am an Apex after all. Read my posts on my profile. I made a journal entry and have befriended the local Floran tribes. Although I admit some of my kind are a bit tyrannical, I don't associate with them. I too am afraid to play multiplayer.

I am a bit happy for you that you found a rocket launcher. I have yet to find any other weapons besides the usually cheap stabby-wabby stuff (^_^). So far a bow has worked well with me. But guerrilla warfare is my best weapon on the fight for survival.

SirKaldar, Seria-Myouna and Lemuria like this.
  2. Lemuria

Lemuria Subatomic Cosmonaut

Apess safe. Floran found new planet where Floran rescued other Floran from mushrooms and then found ancient Floran statue. Iss a sign. Also shooty birds, but Floran wass told it iss impolite to not return fire.

SirKaldar, Seria-Myouna and macodelo like this.
  3. macodelo

I agree. Shoot birds first. But I like to whack them with flaming demon ax. In that regards, I too love to return with fire. LOL. They burn upon contact.

I wish to learn more of the Floran culture. Never have I seen any ancient artifacts of yours or mines. I have yet to see a temple, although I have a hunch that the arid moon back in my Alpha sector may have an Avian temple. Luckily there is an Avian monk that lives alone there where I beam down. She wasn't very helpful and has this constant urge to give me a haircut. Otherwise, she provides shelter which is nice, but not much information unfortunately.

SirKaldar and Seria-Myouna like this.
  4. Seria-Myouna

Seria-Myouna The Last Moderator IRC Operator

Given the continued popularity of this thread and the outdated phrasing of the questions I updated the OP to be more current.

Thank you all for sharing! :love:

5. macodelo

Thanks for the like. I bet you enjoyed the humor of my comment. Now a relative question, what does it mean by updating OP on the content? It looks the same to me the original forum questions.

Seria-Myouna likes this.
  6. Seria-Myouna

It's the same questions for the most part, but I removed the future tense from them and made a few slight edits, given that the thread was made before the game was actually released.

7. Julster

Julster Space Spelunker

1. What race(s) do you play predominantly, and why? Do any of the races just not appeal to you at all?

I used to have a main Human character, but ever since the final world-erasing update I've become enarmored with Avians. My current character is Captain Cloudbreaker, an interstellar freight-runner, farmer and architect.

2. What did you do with your first character (Or at least your most memorable one)? Rush through to the highest danger levels? Be a peaceful farmer?

My very first character, Paulmon, got up to Violium armor before update day- I played him as more of a hack n' slash than an actual character.

3. What do you like to do in the game? Is mining something that never gets boring to you? Are you a treasure hunter?

Currently as Captain Cloudbreaker, I fly from planet to planet searching for villages, but most importantly I build all sorts of things. On public servers I frequent, it's not uncommon to find random buildings with caches of food and supplies ready for you to make a home for yourself.

4. Do you play with other people online? If so, with friends or on a big/small public server?

I infrequently join various public servers just to get new resources and indulge my need to build

5. How many hours have you played so far? Are you waiting for a particular feature to come out to play some more?

I love the game so far (137 hours and counting) but I can't wait for all the new changes announced.

6. What combat style do you prefer? Melee, Ranged, etc. Do you fight everything you come across in hopes of great loot?

I've kind of given up hoping to find great items, but I do go on killing sprees to get pixels easily for building. I prefer to use a pistol and a shield for protection and ranged distance, utilizing morphball, glide, and dash techs to stay mobile

7. Do you have one "Main" base, multiple smaller bases or just wander around building impromptu shelters as needed? What biome do you enjoy the most and why? Do you have a favorite weather effect?

I love glowing rain, especially in snow/tundra biomes- it's just so pretty. Like I said earlier, there's always random bases scattered around when I'm near :L

Seria-Myouna likes this.
  8. macodelo

Interesting. Good that the game didn't release before having an actual forum community, because developing a community first in my opinion is what will set any franchise in stone due to its following.

Although I have to say, I didn't answer anything about the Nova people being that I didn't know they will be released as a playable race. If my Apex Beardleon dies, which I hope not, they'll be the next new race for me to play. Afterwards, the resurrection cycle continues by me going back to playing a Hylotl. LOL.

Seria-Myouna likes this.
  9. malykot

malykot Void-Bound Voyager

1. What race(s) do you play predominantly, and why? Do any of the races just not appeal to you at all?
    I generally play Florans, because they look the best imo. Novakids are a close second. The Hyolotls just... do not appeal to me AT ALL. Which is sad, b/c I love aquatic alien designs, but alas.

2. What did you do with your first character (Or at least your most memorable one)? Rush through to the highest danger levels? Be a peaceful farmer?
    I ran around, collected pretty things, and made a big building to store everything in. Then I died. A lot.

3. What do you like to do in the game? Is mining something that never gets boring to you? Are you a treasure hunter?
    'SPLORIN! Exploring is my absolute favorite part of the game; I love finding new dungeons and creatures.

4. Do you play with other people online? If so, with friends or on a big/small public server?
    I would like to, but I never have! Not many of my friends have the game, and those who do either don't like multiplayer, or are in different time-zones.

5. How many hours have you played so far? Are you waiting for a particular feature to come out to play some more?
    56 hours, according to Steam. I was waiting for the Novakids to be implemented, but then I gave up and downloaded the Novakid+ mod.

6. What combat style do you prefer? Melee, Ranged, etc. Do you fight everything you come across? What is your favorite tech item?
    Ranged, definitely. I haven't used many tech items, so I can't say!

7. Do you have one "Main" base, multiple smaller bases or just wander around building impromptu shelters as needed? What biome do you enjoy the most and why? Do you have a favorite weather effect?
    Mainly I wander until I find a nice planet to make my home; my ship is generally my "main base". It can grow food, store items, and restore your health... seems like the perfect base to me! I like forested biomes the most, and the rain effects the best... seconded by that odd "fog" effect.

Seria-Myouna likes this.
  10. zeroshin500

zeroshin500 Void-Bound Voyager

Hylotl, I find their lore interesting, and their theme really appeals to me.
    I remember encountering a small base with a robot guarding it, once the robot was taken care of, I made that base my home and everything began from there.
    I usually arrive on a planet, travel around the world at least once in a single direction and collect enough fuel(and any loot) to proceed to another planet/star system.
    Yes, I play with a small group of friends, usually we play on a server created by one of us, but we're considering playing on a larger public server now.
    Last I checked on Steam, 72.1 hours :p Just waiting on ship upgrades, then I'll be set.
    6. What combat style do you prefer? Melee, Ranged, etc. Do you fight everything you come across? What is your favorite tech item?
    Melee, unless the enemy I'm facing is more high levelled than me. Usually I tech boost past most mobs, but I kill everything I can when exploring the planet for the first time. Dash boost for sure.
    My ship is my base :p My personal favourite is the Asteroids, since I enjoy the harsh environment. My favourite weather effect is the rainbow rain(not sure about its official name).

Seria-Myouna likes this.
  11. Ian R.McElroy

Ian R.McElroy Void-Bound Voyager

As for races, my first was a Hylotl, but i tend to play as character from the Avali race mod. My first character was spent exploring game mechanics and understanding how things worked really. He wasn't much in the way of progress. I enjoying finding new planets and seeing if there's any dungeons on them. If there are i try to clear them as efficiently as possible. I tend to play in a small group with 1-3 friends if I'm playing online. I don't really enjoy large severs. So far I've put a pretty decent 186 hours into the game. Nothing compared to my Terraria experience but that's a different game. As far as combat go's i tend to use a mix. Its primarily consists of Melee but i like using a gun sometimes. I do tend to have one "main" base that i return to often and customize when I'm a little bit bored. I still customize as though i was Hylotl even though i play Avali more. But anyway, i think I've talked you ears off enough now. Message me if you ever want to play together! I'd be more than happy to start or join any servers with people.

macodelo and Seria-Myouna like this.
  12. GeneralMittens

GeneralMittens Subatomic Cosmonaut

1. I always play as novakid. I love their colours and the fact they aren't humanoid.
    2. I was a treasure hunter! All of everyone's base was belong to me!
    3. As said above.. I am a pirate! (And a pirate is free)
    4. I play with friends on a smaller server.
    5. I have 97 hours logged in steam alone!
    6. I use dual pistols! Usually dual revolvers killing what's in my path! I am also in love with the bubble boost.
    7. I always have my ship as a main base. I love snow biomes because they look great! Blizzards are my favorite weather effect. (it makes lighting look awesome.)

Seria-Myouna likes this.
  13. Gir554

Gir554 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

1. I play a lot of races, but my favorites are probably Hylotl and Floran. Floran are just fun, everything about them is fun. Especially the accent, the accent is a wonderful touch and it's my favorite thing about them. The Hylotl has to do with their culture and appearance. Humans don't appeal to me as much simply because I can be a human in almost any game I play and I AM a human myself (Last I checked anyway, I haven't been growing any flowers from my head lately) so it just doesn't hold the same charm as being a murderous plant person or samurai fish.
    2. I was a Floran, and I brutally slaughtered things. I was a very Floran Floran, what can I say?
    3. Much like my beginnings I enjoy brutally slaughtering things. Though building and decorating my house to suit my character is rather fun as well.
    4. With friends, on public servers when we play vanilla or private ones when we play modded.
    5. A lot, I haven't checked my time on steam but..... a lot. Sometimes I quit for a while and wait for updates, but I'm not waiting for anything in particular.
    6. Mostly melee, but I do like to keep a ranged weapon on me. Sometimes I fight everything, other times I don't really feel like it and just rush past, to find dungeons or villages. A lot of those villages are a lot emptier when I leave them though..... My favorite tech is the butterfly boost.
    7. A main base when I have one at all, sometimes I just don't even bother building one and just use my ship. The tentacle biome, admittedly just because the music is amazing. Rather than a favorite, I think I'll go with meteors as my most hated "weather".

Seria-Myouna likes this.
  14. Blue Floran

Blue Floran Void-Bound Voyager

Floran issss best. Floran isss ssstrongest. Floran will learn all languagessss and become smartesssst. Fish and monkiessss best not bother floran...

Floran wantsss to find other floransss that ssssek knowledge. Then, we Ssstab enemies together.

Floran likesss Sssstabbing, but building is floransss intrest too. floran dislikesss dark cavesss.

Floran will find friendsss... Then we will fly to sssmall universsse.

Floran hasss sssurvived in universsse many, many daysss. Floran will survive more.

Floran smasssh and Ssstab. But floran like disssitergrating and cooking. Floran wantsss good weapon.

Floran wantsss good planet. Floran will look through ssspace numbersss and learn basssic math, then find planet. Sssso far, ssship is home. Floran wantsss galaxy with nice planetsss...

SirKaldar, Seria-Myouna and macodelo like this.
  15. macodelo

I am an Apex Floran! But a peaceful one. I have met many of your kin and played bongos drums together. We too share an interest in building. I have helped them build a protective wall around their village to keep monsters away from their children. I am lone Apex. Call me Beardleon. I am willing to help you build ideal future. Plus I like your stew, that is if it is not Apex for supper.

SirKaldar likes this.
  16. Blue Floran

Floran confused by beard monkey. Mossst mokeysss hate floran. Floran welcomessss beard monkeysss friendship...

SirKaldar and macodelo like this.
  17. crybringer

crybringer Void-Bound Voyager

Human -- I went with the least interesting (to me) to see how I'd like the game at it's worst; LOVE IT as a result. The Glitch and the Avians are what I tend to run into the most, so I've grown to like them a lot too.
    I even like the Agarans (hoping they're the start of more NPC races!) Weird thing -- I've only ever seen a Hylotl nomad ***ONCE*** across 96 planets so far... I've seen Frog Merchants at least TWICE.

Still playing my first Human PC, and am still taking my time with each sector. I explore to find as many different biomes or NPC's as possible.

Mining somehow never gets old -- between loads of pixels, ores and fighting strong non-boss mobs in treacherous caves, I think that keeps me going between dungeons or new biomes.
    Letting monsters rampage in Glitch Castles is hilarious -- scored two Crowns from a monster killing the King!

Not done any multiplayer yet. Waiting for next phase of beta, and/or something closer to the full release.
    280 hours and counting. Most excited to see how the redone tier structure, outposts and ship upgrades work!
    Ranged, heavy damage combat -- whatever a rifle type can't solve, a broadsword or hammer does for me. Likewise, anything flying or belching fire/lightning is what I fear most.
    It took so long to get any other techs that I'm married to Pulse Jump -- it's the old school platformer in me.

I tried to rely on the ship to store valuables, but now there's so much that I have to rely on a home planet. From planet-to-planet, just a bed, farming plot and two doors are needed at a spawn point.
    The planets themselves, I'll like if they're made just-so. A snow/geometric planet with a passive sparkle shower and a lethal blizzard is gorgeous to play around in -- especially if there's something bizarre
    like flesh or heck underneath, but same could be said for an arid planet with ugly trees, scrub-brushes and junk storms.

Brightish_Light and Seria-Myouna like this.
  18. macodelo

I Beardleon understand your confusion with our beards. Some Monkeys bad, kinda like some Florans like to stab more than others. Big Ape is the worst monkey. Big Ape kills innocents, and destroys freedom. Big Ape even tortures others for sake of experiments. I escaped from Big Ape. Unfortunately, I am only one of my group that survived.

I am glad you accept friendship. If I ever find Big Ape, I will invite you for a hunt.

SirKaldar likes this.
  19. Blue Floran

Floran sssstab bad monkey!

SirKaldar likes this.
  20. Seria-Myouna

Alright @Blue Floran @macodelo, I really do hate to rain on your parade but this isn't a conversation thread. You guys can do this in PMs if you want or in some chat thread.

macodelo likes this.