Whats your favourite Boss of all time? / most difficult boss?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Corraidhín, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

It's... got a unique charm to it. It's somewhat a turn-based RPG, but yet it isn't exactly turn-based as it can be random at times. It's got hard bosses, it's got your classic J-RPG system, and some of the soundtrack is good. The transition from walking around to battle was uniquely done, and the dungeons are mazy, hopefully you got a good memory lol.

It's just... a gem that many people overlook. Some people are turned off by the graphics, others the challenge. Me, I don't mind either, lol. But then I played this game a lot when I was a kid, so...

If you do give it a whirl lemme know. Should be easy enough to find for emulator.

Corraidhín likes this.
  2. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Sure! after I am done replaying Terranigma and a couple other games, Ill get it.

Yeah I think the Megaman world was pretty big, lots of space to work with, but perhaps nobody wanted to take on that massive beast.

3. KingTomato

KingTomato Jackpot!

Favourite: Spectre from Ape Escape. Cant remember which game exactly, long time ago. (miss that game series.)

Hardest: Tekken 3 Yoshimitsu's story arch. Goddamn Raven kept kicking my ass. Also a long time ago. (isnt tekken 7 like coming out soon)

4. Charlatan

Charlatan Parsec Taste Tester

NOTE: They are VERY minor, but contains spoilers about Dark Souls 1

Great Grey Wolf SIF, from Dark Souls 1, only IF you finished the "Artorias of the Abyss" DLC before.

Not because of the fight, not because of difficulty to win. No.
    It was difficult for different reasons.
    The only time I ran away from a fight, trying, searching, for any way to settle things peacefully. Even considering to give up.
    For added unjustified sadness: It goes too fast here, because the guy is obviously cheating or brutally powergaming, but on lower health, SIF actually starts to fail, limbing slowly and painfully, and attacking much slower and weaker..

And it's incredible how much can be said, without any words.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
    Arra, Arnust and LOL BALL like this.
  5. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Personally, Id put the spoilers right before you start talking about the boss, but thats fine! Sif is the reason I never finished NG+... cant do that twice.

Charlatan likes this.
  6. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

@Xylia I don't know if I have played that one myself, but I have play one of them; which I think was Lufia 2. It was so long ago that I don't really remember it. The Ys series of games I would love to have played, and will eventually once I have enough money to buy off steam; as that is the only way I am able to get any of that series at the moment. Of old RPG games I didn't really have much a challenge, but maybe Chrono cross or chrono trigger I had a bit of challenge; however I barely remember the bosses for the same reason. That I have not played them in like so long.

Played a lot of them when I was younger so long ago, but not played them all; as I had to pick and choose which series or individual games to get at the time when they were coming out. I miss the action RPG of Threads of Fate, since for me that was challenging with either character at some point; mainly the male character. :nuruhappy:

Charlatan likes this.
  7. Charlatan

Kinda unsure where to put the spoiler warning while keeping up my post. After all, the bossfight itself isn't a spoiler, only whom, and only if the DLC was done before. Which is very unlikely.

8. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Highly recommend you try the first Lufia.

If you like challenge and thought Chrono Trigger had challenge... you ain't seen nuthin'.

Tamorr likes this.
  9. Charlatan

Can confirm.... to say the least >.>

Tamorr likes this.
  10. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

This is one of the more infamous fights in Lufia:

Note that the guy playing this is a little higher level than what you would normally be in, note how the boss gets REAL nasty near the end. Normally, you wouldn't have Boost on both Lufia and Jerin here, grinding it up makes the fight a little easier, but if you're not prepared for the AoE spam, it starts to hurt bad, quick.

And Status Effects... this game loves Status Effects. Items that heal status effects are something you should ALWAYS have plenty of on hand, your casters being confused, silenced, or put to sleep at the wrong time can send you into a downward spiral where you need to devote all your time to healing to try to recover while the boss pounds on you repeatedly.

Some of the bosses in this game punish mistakes bigtime, especially some of those later in game.

Grinding up softens this a little, but some bosses are STILL mildly difficult even while over-leveled.

Tamorr likes this.
  11. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Ooooh right! this is the first time I heard about Lufia! thats another challenge I have lined up actually.

Charlatan likes this.
  12. Charlatan

I did now put the spoilers clearly visible on the top instead, Mr. Dreamer :p

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
    Corraidhín likes this.
  13. Davoraptor

Davoraptor Tentacle Wrangler

Three words:

Undyne the Undying.

Arra, Charlatan and Corraidhín like this.
  14. Unikram

Unikram Industrial Terraformer

Favourite boss?
    Does France in EU4 count?
    I never beat it.
    But I still love it
    BBB is love,
    BBB is life.

15. Senpai Deviljo

Senpai Deviljo Cosmic Narwhal

My favorite bosses well 2 is
    1. Saint gremlin on castlevania curse of darkness
    2. Albel nox from star ocean till end of time.

Corraidhín likes this.
  16. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Lucky you! I didnt get to play that castlevania...!

Also I really love your avatar lol, Deviljho is pretty fun to fight!

Senpai Deviljo likes this.
  17. Davoraptor

Davoraptor Tentacle Wrangler

Also, Duke Fishron in Terraria is really cool. He's ALWAYS hard to defeat, no matter how good equipment do you have

18. Killerhurtz

Killerhurtz Poptop Tamer

OKAY SO.

Started playing The Talos Principle.

It's not a boss, it's just a regular level even.

But fucking god, "The Labyrinth" in level C3. It's basically three annoying levels crammed into one - one of them you have to narrowly avoid bombs that will fuck you up for keys. After that, you have to walk around behind more bombs only to wait until the two bombs in the middle of the fields are opposite so that you may go into a corner and grab your second jammer (that is used to jam stuff in general). And then they end the level with a place that, unless I saw wrong, needs THREE jammers - so either I missed a jammer, I missed a possible solution, or they seriously expect the players to juggle jammers to do the job of 3 with 2. FUCK that level.

The best part is, the bombs and turrets DO legitimately kill you, which throws you back at the beginning of the level all over. Pointlessly long and pointlessly difficult.

19. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Hmm... so its the most difficult level? interesting... I remember my friend was quite excited about that game, but she has not said a word about it ever since it came out, nor mentioned having any difficulty with the levels. Quite fascinating.

20. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

When I was a kid I always had such a hard time fighting Wendy Koopa at the end of world 3 in SMB3. I would die many times before finally succeeding. In fact, she might be the hardest boss I fought in my childhood.

Corraidhín likes this.