1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

whats your favorite thing about starbound?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by The Half Sane Magician, Mar 11, 2015.

1. The Half Sane Magician

The Half Sane Magician Scruffy Nerf-Herder

may it be from the community or the game itself share your favorite thing about any aspect of this epic game :D

I must say though, the subtle penguin worshiping is my favorite. I used to joke about penguins taking over and in this game its true in some ways.

HELIXANER00 likes this.
  2. TrueEdge

TrueEdge Phantasmal Quasar

I enjoy modding. If I hit something I don't like in the vanilla, chances are I can grab a mod and have fun with that.
    Of course, I have no idea how to mod, but I'd love to learn how one of these days.

3. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

I'm in a situation where I enjoy the community around the game more than the game itself. There are many fun threads around and even some helpful ones, such as the therapy thread. Everyone is very nice to each other, save the occasional rogue elements of course.

Not to say that the game is bad, I like it very much. But it still isn't in a state that would blow me away.

Jonesy and Nibolas O Anelbozas like this.
  4. Nibolas O Anelbozas

Nibolas O Anelbozas Spaceman Spiff

This game is like star wars, the main feature isn't that marvelous, but the surroundings are the most amazing thing! but now the expanded universe was rebooted so whatever...but yeah, i like the lore and the community as said @BloodyFingers

HELIXANER00 likes this.
  5. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

I would say building, but that is redundant since that is more of my playstyle in this genre of games.

So maybe how simple it is to mod it as well all the little collectibles you can get (Aesthetics, weapons, instruments, and trophies). Trophies meaning things I get that signify defeating something or collecting an item from something in remembrance. Overall the creativity I can have with the many things provided; whether it be in game or a mod.:)

6. Scourger

Scourger Scruffy Nerf-Herder

My favorite thing about Starbound is the possibilities it has. I'm always excited when they release something new!

7. 1nfinitezer0

1nfinitezer0 Cosmic Narwhal

I think those of us who have played the many versions are getting the most out of exploration and wonder ;)

8. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

The randomly-generated weapons and enemies, specially the rarer ones, since those ones are also the strangest.

9. Argthrond

Argthrond Oxygen Tank

I think I would say melee weapons. I really like the look of them!

10. Akre

Akre Pangalactic Porcupine

Total randomness, numerous building options, fighting system and an active modding community.

1nfinitezer0 likes this.
  11. SoopaDerpcat

SoopaDerpcat Pangalactic Porcupine

What I really like the most about this game, at least that the competition doesn't have, is just the overall feel. In Terraria, while there
    are a few NPCs, they'll all end up living in your house, and with a single, finite, non-looping world with no other people in it, you just
    sort of feel like the entire Terraria universe is a 4-mile-wide box that revolves completely around a little house roughly in the middle
    which is apparently the last bastion of civilization as we know it since everything outside of it is either a monster, a demon, or a rabbit.
    And Minecraft...well, yeah, it's infinite, but it's so incredibly repetitive that you probably won't wander very far from the spawn after
    you've seen each biome once since they all look exactly the same every time. And the NPCs...just walk around, grunt, and stare at
    you with a terrifyingly unemotive expression. They may as well just be lizards

While all of the different races are more or less the same aside from their sprites, sounds and ship layouts, none of them actually
    feel unnecessary, and none of them particularly feel like the star of the show with all the others being "side" races, since they all
    have distinct backstories and cultures. And the size of the in-game universe is overwhelming. I've already put 40 hours into the game
    and can't say I've ever found myself thinking I was on "just another forest planet." If you ever find yourself thinking that, just wait
    and you'll probably find a huge castle or a labyrinthine underground tomb or a bandit camp or an Avian village or an Apex lab or...well, you
    just never really know! That's the beauty of it!

Landwatch, calyton1372, Akre and 2 others like this.
  12. Artay001

Artay001 Pangalactic Porcupine

I think what I like most is the infinite universe. Unlimited room to explore and build without being overly repetitive. I also like that it's still growing into itself and trying new things, bringing the community on-board for the ride.

13. ZallCaTor

ZallCaTor Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The community.

14. Nibolas O Anelbozas

Nibolas O Anelbozas Spaceman Spiff

15. calyton1372

calyton1372 Void-Bound Voyager

My overall favorite thing, would be the music in the game, there are times where I will go months without starbound, but if I ever hear the music, I immediately want to start playing it again. I will spend minutes on the title screen, just listening to the music, and thinking of my past adventures.

16. FaerieHawk

FaerieHawk Subatomic Cosmonaut

I love exploring and building! It's fun to dive into caves and stumble across random areas with chests and things inside them. I'm even more excited for the future where these random places will be more fleshed out and have more variance since they're admittedly unexciting at times. Especially when I go through 3 or 4 planets and find so many Arcade booths, lol.

There is so much building potential. So many different types of furniture and decorations! I love it! ^^

Tamorr likes this.
  17. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

The sheer and ever-expanding number of options for building and decorating. From primitive to high-tech, there's a lot you can make in this game.

Tamorr likes this.
  18. Kinotsu

Kinotsu Void-Bound Voyager

I just started playing so pretty much everything so far, love the artwork and animations and atmosphere! Definitely worth my 15$ and I haven't even got done repairing my ship and exploring the first planet!

19. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

Killing the Florans

Best part. They invite me over to try to stab me, pour poison all over me, and trick me with puzzles. What did I ever do them? Nothing!

Glad they saw the error of their ways afterwards though.

20. Biirdy Daysleeper

Biirdy Daysleeper Weight of the Sky

I'm a human transformed into a robot with a TV Head who's study new species like centaur-lizard or new weird and unlikely environment like a planet with brain trees inhabited by communist apes. This this the top of the awesomeness for me ! (just need habitable jovian planet one day maybe :3). Ha and the community who's the greatest I see. ^^