1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback What's the point of Teleporters when I can use flags?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Shadow Wolf TJC, Jun 2, 2016.

?

Is this a ridiculous feature that should be removed?

1. Yes

18.4%
  2. No

81.6%
  1. TeamSprocket

TeamSprocket Void-Bound Voyager

Regarding this, I never knew about flags being teleport beacons until I read this thread. :facepalm:

In that sense, what I would like to see is in vanilla is a consumable "Return to Ship" beacon that takes some kind of fuel to activate, or is one use only, or something like that. Make them not stackable in inventory so that you can only carry a few with you at a time, and need to plan your excursions accordingly.

Or even a local planet-only teleport pad that won't let you cross interstellar distances, but is useful for crossing across a single planet.

2. Masiakasaurus

Masiakasaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Teleporters are invaluable if you have more than one colony/base. Being able to warp directly from A to B without using your ship as a relay is a huge time saver, even if you have to walk to the teleporter.

Flags are for places you only need to visit occasionally. Teleporters are for places you travel to frequently. I don't see the issue.

3. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Main objection seems to be the loading screen between teleporters.

Fun fact, there is a 3 second forced minimum delay on the loading screens. If you remove that, with a decent enough computer, you can teleport ~instantly.

4. Masiakasaurus

Masiakasaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah, but at that point you're using a mod. You could just as easily say that flags are useless if you mod them to no longer function as teleporter bookmarks.

I mean the forced minimum delay is dumb but it still exists in vanilla.

5. Monario

Monario Subatomic Cosmonaut

If anything I would just suggest to make it so teleporters don't break when trying to pick them up? (although not even sure if they do anymore, never even use them lol), that just makes it so some people don't even think about the possibility of grabbing one. Make it so you can actually move them and maybe more people would use them :p but "nerf" the flags... no way; Is it realistic that flags work like that when your ship is on the other side of the universe? Nope! Is it convenient? Yep! Would I like to give it up? ... is that really a question? :p

6. Proginoskes

Proginoskes Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It's just slightly more convenient.