1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback What's the point of Teleporters when I can use flags?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Shadow Wolf TJC, Jun 2, 2016.

?

Is this a ridiculous feature that should be removed?

1. Yes

18.4%
  2. No

81.6%
  1. Arti78

Arti78 Space Kumquat

As I said before, you can always NOT use them. They are there for utility. Nothing is OP in a sandbox game.

2. Dander.1981

Dander.1981 Subatomic Cosmonaut

As mentioned, I did like the flag as a purely decorative item to mark the landing site on each visited planet. But where in my or those of similar thought, did you see that we wanted this upgrade completely removed as you seem to insinuate? We think it is simply poorly implemented.

Shadow Wolf TJC likes this.
  3. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Um, maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but to PUT a flag on the planet, you kinda-sorta have to actually visit said planet, right? I don't know how you'd put a flag down if you haven't visited the planet, lol.

4. Dander.1981

Don't worry. You seem to got that right. :)

Shadow Wolf TJC likes this.
  5. ZeeHero

ZeeHero Pangalactic Porcupine

I think flags as they are in 1.0 right now are fine.

Sh4dowWalker96 and Xylia like this.
  6. Hawklaser

Hawklaser Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The big difference between flags and teleporters is that flags are one way, while teleporters are two way.

I am not upset that flags let you beam to them from anywhere, just like teleporters allow. Since Teleporters also allow you to teleport from them to other locations. Consider the use of flags for fast navigating around a massive base one has built compared to if one used teleporters. With a Flag, would have to find a teleporter or a spot that is safe to beam up from as not all modes allow beam up from everywhere before beaming to the next flag, while if one was using multiple teleporters instead they just have to return to the teleporter they just came from.

Sh4dowWalker96 likes this.
  7. ambrose

ambrose Astral Cartographer

teleports allow you to teleport directly to the outpost or a flag/teleporter instead of waisting time using your ship as a relay.

8. Mythril-Jelly

Mythril-Jelly Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If your difficulty is above casual, you won't be able to beam up from great depths directly. With a teleporter you could make a base near the world's core and get in and out quickly. Say an investment for a huge mine underneath the Lava oceans. Then again since the high end material furniture isn't craftable anymore there's not a huge point to that.

Otherwise, it'll just look better with a few base themes. I'm really hoping we get a black/purple one or paint options eventually since none of them really match my cultist city.

9. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

I don't know if you know, but that Executive Teleporter will clean and press your suit DURING TELEPORT.

Will a flag clean and press your suit? I don't think so.

10. LordBaconator

LordBaconator Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Teleporters don't seem worth it until you can afford a lot of them.

Once you start using them they make it super convenient and fun to build stuff like colonies on multiple worlds at once. I also use them to teleport in to and out of my mining planets; their bidirectional nature saves me a ton of time when I need more durasteel for building.

You can place a flag super deep in the ground but once you do you're stuck there until you dig back out. Flags as they're implemented now are invaluable and perfectly balanced since the teleporters are just so much better.

11. ambrose

Definitely not worth it until you are filthy rich, that is unless you are planing on making a permanent residency and using that more than your ship.

12. Dander.1981

This is false. You forget to factor in the time to walk to the teleport, there as clicking the "beam me up, Scotty" button sends you right on top of a functional bidirectional teleport at the low expense of an extra short loading screen.

The poorly implementation of the flag bookmarking system simply reversed the roles of the two object groups. Flags (formerly mostly* cosmetic) is now primarily used as a inter-star-system teleportation device (together with the "beam me up" button). There as the actual inter-star-system teleports is now commonly** invested into for purely cosmetic reasons.

* Had (have?) an effect on the spawned tenant's race.
    ** Someone mentioned using them while deep underground when mining. Which is kind of the behavior the devs wanted to prevent by having the teleport break into pieces when picked up. Funny how consistent the devs are bout their teleportation devices.

13. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Nobody said the Devs wanted to outright prevent beaming up from deep underground, but they wanted to make it take a lot of work and effort to do so.

1 copper bar and 20 fabric is not "a lot of work".

1 Teleporter Core and 3000 pixels, along with the "can only place once", however, is quite a bit more work/effort.

You can set up a teleporter underground in a particularly good mining area, sure. The Devs never said "THOU SHALT NOT MAKE AN UNDERGROUND MINE!" but they didn't want players entirely circumventing the no-underground-teleport rule with easy-to-make flags.

They want there to be SOME method of teleporting from underground, but they want it to be expensive and something you only do once in awhile when you find really good conditions for doing so.

14. ambrose

When I'm on my home planet I usually don't leave my house, I posted that comment with that assumption and you can still use the "Beam me up scottie" even if you use teleporters.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  15. ambrose

I do think that teleporters are flashy, but don't think eather should be removed, teleports are good for servers (Admins don't have to worry about the money) and maps (how few of them there are).

16. WesleySpaceCadet

WesleySpaceCadet Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Because if I'm making a huge base, I'd like some cool looking teleporters to plant. If you don't like teleporters, don't use them. Why punish those that actually like and use them because some prefer flags. That's just silly. Plus, They are kind of a staple in Sci fi.

17. Ludovic

Ludovic Giant Laser Beams

My only comment on flag vs teleporter is ironically not even one about the "balance" of either but just wishing "flags" were cosmetically replaced by an actual "teleport beacon" for both immersion reason(and which would cost around the same to make than a flag, possibly with more immersive logic for it's function) and thus have flags being a purely cosmetic item again so I could fully decorate my builds with tons of flags everywhere without worrying about accidentally "activating" them as beacons due to a bad keypress.

Aesthetically, I feel that would be much better.

Balance wise, it could be as simple as replacing the 20 clothes and one copper bar with 5 iron bars and one copper bar. Since getting those 5(could easily be tweaked) bars of iron should be a similar effort than sewing all those 20 clothes fabric.

The actual teleporter beacon could easily be made by renaming/recoding the currently purely cosmetic "distress beacons" found in-game sometimes.

ambrose likes this.
  18. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

One thing I really really REALLY wish we could change about Flags, is the 20 Fabric Requirement.

Couldn't we just change that to 60 Plant Fibre or something? I hate having to make 20 cloth with the new crafting wait time mechanic. It makes flags annoying for non-Avali (they use 20 graphene instead, which you make in batches of 10).

ambrose likes this.
  19. Dander.1981

At the point when you have enough teleport cores to be willing to throw them away on temporary mining sites. The 3000 pixels is not much more of an effort than crafting a flag. Especially as each mining expedition yields enough ores to keep you settled for a lengthy time. Work/Effort would be if you had to link several teleport routers/repeaters from the surface down to your mining site teleport.
    This is derailing from topic.

What is the purpose with the Flag Bookmark?
    • Dungeon Checkpoint? In every good game the player only have ONE active checkpoint. Imagine playing Diablo and each time you used the town scroll, you create a new portal instead of replacing the old one.
    • Inter-system Teleport? Starbound already have one with decent cost involving a mystery black box (known as Teleporter Core)!
    • Cheap Teleport Extension? NOPE! Completely rivals with existing asset.
    CF could have implemented this much better in so many ways as game developers. Instead they gave vanilla a mod cheat.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    ambrose likes this.
  20. LazerRay

LazerRay Cosmic Narwhal

ambrose and Dander.1981 like this.