What's the best way to build a spiral staircase?

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Jbeetle, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

2. Kattanos

Kattanos Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm guessing the example is the brown "stairs" on the left? I like how it uses background and foreground elements to give the psuedo-3D appearance.. Also, I might just steal that idea too... >.>

3. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

Yea, that. I was just kinda wondering if there's a more practical way, because from what I can tell, the spiral staircase in that picture isn't very functional.

4. Kattanos

You mean stairs you can simply walk up instead of it being a series of platforms disguised as a staircase? Not sure.. I generally just use the normal stairs diagonally upward one way, then diagonally upward the other way back and forth.. I also have about 2-4 blocks long platform at each turning point.. If you want stairs you cannot jump through, there are solid blocks (of your choice) in a stair-shaped manner.. You just need to a repeating L shape with only 1 block height difference between steps..

--EDIT--
    Now that I tried using solid blocks to make a spiral staircase... It doesn't exactly work.. In fact, I have no idea why I thought it would to begin with.. Regardless, here is a pic I just made of using normal stairs for it..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  5. Cathriana

Cathriana Phantasmal Quasar

Aye, as Kattanos said.

A spiral in 2D is basically just ZigZagging up and down with a pole in the middle in the background to say "This is what it is linked to" to the brain, automatically and most likely making people see it as a spiral. Perhaps not even letting it touch the walls and doing other Horizontal lines from the platforms to the middle "POLE" so that it can be seen as connected to it and even more spiral

Jbeetle likes this.
  6. Kattanos

Also, this is better than what I said.. (and took a pic of) I just slapped together some stairs on top of my base.. >.>

--EDIT--

I quickly slapped together something vaguely like what Cathriana said..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
    M4ck and Jbeetle like this.
  7. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

That makes sense, but how can I both connect the "steps" and be able to jump through them, without them auto turning into stairs.

8. Cathriana

A different background alike where you make it seem like something is connected to the middle. Just like the pole.

9. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

So the background would just appear shaded while the steps would be platforms, I guess?

10. Cathriana

Mhmm, imagination does the rest.

Everything that is "3D" is supposed to be background mostly to emulate what it could look like.

For those who are really pro there are ways to make your character go behind certain things making it seem like you walk behind and infront of the pole.

Jbeetle likes this.
  11. Kattanos

I was just in the screenshot section of the forums and came across a possible solution.. It appears they used 2 different platform types (they are slightly different colored) and make it look like it goes around a pole! Take a look!

I want to know how they zoom out so far.. =/

12. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

That's perfect. They zoom out by editing starbound.config to put in values lower than x2. Can't do it in-game.

Kattanos likes this.
  13. Kattanos

Ah, I see.. I was thinking a mod or keybinding I overlooked..

14. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

Jbeetle and Kattanos like this.
  15. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

Here's what I came up with, guys. I'm happy with the results for such a simple building, but the one Kat linked still looks superior.
    [​IMG]

snowshadow2867 likes this.
  16. Cathriana

Looks Amazing, Jbeetle. Just like how I imagined itX3

How do you get up the stairs at the middle part? Have you made it to a platform that you can walk on?

17. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

gotta jump. You can't just walk up it (but you can until you hit the middle part :p)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  18. Cathriana

What about a black platform there at the middle part to hide itself with the background? Giving the illusion it is behind =o? I also wish you could have "Curtains" of some kind. Would make it a lot easier to make these.

19. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

I think at best the black platform would just make it look like the pillar in the middle is see-through...which would work if it was a glass pillar.