Modding Help What's proper way of adding Techs?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Marrond, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Marrond

Marrond Space Hobo

Could anyone explain me how to add existing Techs to crafting properly? Let's say I want to craft item ITEM1 that gives me ability to learn/use morphballTech. I was playing arround but can't get it to working. Sometimes tech appears in Techmenu without any description and isn't working, another time (trying different solution) I get description and everything but it doesn't allow me to use morphball regardless. I was also trying to add other techs to crafting table and they doesn't even show up (morphball using same technique is appearing for some reason).

I was trying to use CreativeMode mod as refference but it turned out I get techs without description this way that aren't working either.

2. FoolsPower

FoolsPower Subatomic Cosmonaut

I believe the way you want to add them is, for example "doublejumpTech-chip" This -chip extension seems to be the only way to make the tech spawn properly, where you can actually right click it and learn the tech.

3. Marrond

Marrond Space Hobo

I was trying to add it how you described but recipe doesn't show up at all. Could you perhaps paste here how recipe for chip should look properly to be craftable with craftingtable?

Code:
    {
      "input" : [
      { "item" : "money", "count" : 1 }
      ],
      "output" : {
      "item" : "morphballTech-chip",
      "count" : 1
      },
      "groups" : [ "craftingtable", "object", "other", "all" ]
    }

Doesn't work.

4. FoolsPower

This is how I'd structure it. I don't know entirely if it works though as I'm just heading off to bed so I don't have time to check it. I'v spawned techs through default.treasurepools with that item name though, so I don't see why it wouldn't work

Code:
    {
        { "item" : "darkwoodmaterial", "count" : 1 }
      ],
        "item" : "doublejumpTech-chip",
      },
      "groups" : [ "craftingtable", "other", "all" ]
    }

5. Marrond

Marrond Space Hobo

It doesn't showing up in crafting table.

edit:
    I was trying to add it to default.treasurepool - ended up in game crashing after picking character.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  6. FoolsPower

If you're adding it to the crafting table, you need to add the item to player.config in tier 1.

7. Marrond

Marrond Space Hobo

I was adding it to regular crafting table, not new one (just for testing purposes as I want to try out making my own tech). I don't know why it didn't want to work with -chip but when I've created furnace recipe for object-item that allowed to learn morphballTech-chip recipe on pickup it started working. Still, weird.

8. JediLord

JediLord Starship Captain

ok guys im having problems to but im spawning item not tech see i found if u spawn the tech as an item thats unequipable u can go to techthing same as 3dprinter an still equip it then just delete item u have after all tho atm i cant get them to respawn
    anyone know what im doing wrong cuz my coding was taken from torch and just added doublejumptech witch is what u get from the blueprint its base name for it

9. FoolsPower

you need to add a comma on line 12 in doublejumptech.recipe

10. JediLord

Code:
    {
        { "item" : "money", "count" : 150 }
      ],
      "output" : [
        "item" : "doublejumpTech",
      },
      "groups" : [ "crafting table", "objects", "tools", "all" ]
    }

only 10 lines of code tho hows that work

11. JediLord

man this is giving me problems up the whazuh i even looked up the add your own custom tech tutoral and followed how he put his in there still didnt work for me like what the hell

edit : so finaly got my starbound debug load list thingy to give me no errors with the codes for the tech yet it still does not show up on my crafting table anyone got some ideas i can try

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  12. FoolsPower

Are you doing this on the same character every time ? if so, try it with a new character. Sometimes it won't load new items in the crafting menu of an old character.

13. Doctor Ragnarok

Doctor Ragnarok Former Staff

This is how I resolved the issue.

In the folder where your tech is stored, you will need one recipe. This is the default. It will look something like this:

Code:
    {
      "input" : [],
        "item" : "miningMechTech",
      },
      "groups" : [ "tech" ]
    }
    Then you create a second recipe and place it in your recipes folder somewhere. Make that one look like this:

Code:
    {
        { "item" : "robotlegs", "count" : 1 },
          { "item" : "robotchest", "count" : 1 },
        { "item" : "steelbar", "count" : 20 }
      ],
        "item" : "miningMechTech-chip",
      },
      "groups" : [ "techbench", "tech", "all" ]
    }
    Then just add a line similar to the following in your player.config:

Code:
    { "item" : "miningMechTech-chip" }
    make sure that the filename is the same as the "item" within that file. Should work like a charm.

14. JediLord

but for the first part do i need 3 files with that in it if im doing 3 diffrent kind of tech or do i just recode it for 3 outputs