1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What would you do if you turned into your current starbound character?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by NoahGoldFox, Sep 5, 2016.

1. WallyBW93

WallyBW93 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Well since I'd be a Floran, stab things and eat them afterwards... not really my style so I'll punch things, blow things up, and burn things then eat them or make s'mores on the firey destruction and eat those instead.

2. Unclever title

Unclever title Cosmic Narwhal

Thought I'd post again in here since I recently did a run with different character. Human this time.

First off would be coming to terms with being the same species but now being a different sex. That'd be super weird in a lot of ways... but at least I'd have fabulous hair.

Next would be dealing with that one crew member I've been ignoring forever who decided she was in love with me. Her attention would probably seem a lot less benign if I'm experiencing her constant hyper excited smiles and constant standing about 1 foot away from me, and periodically emoting of a giant holographic pixel heart in 1st person 3D instead of 3rd person 2D.

I'd probably have to fire her. Or who knows, maybe after actually being able to hear her in person we'd hit it off nicely and start an actual relationship? Probably not...?

After that I'd have a kickass time throwing around Magnorbs and using my time freezing sword on monsters and stuff. (Had neither of those for my last character)

Snow and Ice wolf likes this.
  3. Jake9039

Jake9039 Pangalactic Porcupine

I would become a flaming female star person that essentially is the same age (mentaly) as me, and would fight my way to feeedom.

4. Aj the Avian

Aj the Avian Space Hobo

Id Probably wake up and yell IM A FREKIN BIRD!?

5. Dragon_Knight02

Dragon_Knight02 Space Spelunker

I'd wake up in my Glitch ship and shout "Panic. How the fuck am I a Glitch!!??" while my crew are confuse as hell.

6. Jake9039

Jake9039 Pangalactic Porcupine

I would essentially just either be a human, in wich I would just be meh, or I would be my admin novakid, and I would just run around in my overpowered protecterate mech and kill people.

7. NiamhNyx

NiamhNyx Phantasmal Quasar

Two words.

Space Pirate.

8. Nefer007

Nefer007 Phantasmal Quasar

Ergh. That's a tough one.

Not only do I change gender, but I also technically change race, entity type, become an anime, but my fanfic would be thrown off the rails and I'd be stuck wondering "who is this Nefer guy anyway?"

In addition I'll have to put up with a sudden desire to solely eat meat buns, jump into snow piles to catch rabbits, and other fox things of varying degrees of maturity because technically my race is now an Ezo red fox. (I'd also probably have to withdraw from society as well, because there are very likely at least ten thousand people that would suddenly have to fight over a single physical waifu.)

Of course, if something like that was to happen, then I know an Incident has started. And if it's an Incident...

1. Sandstar.
    2. Someone's shady new drug.
    3. Yukari is fooling around again.
    4. It's a religious conspiracy.
    (Templates like that are forbidden.)
    SHUT UP ME just let me have my fun
    (no.)

Of course, if I suddenly turned into my old pre-Ruin Novakid with a "borrowed" modded übergun, a pair of all-destroying Gutterknives, and the great almighty HEAT CLEAVER... whole 'nother story right there.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  9. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

Heh heh :3

10. piklup

piklup Void-Bound Voyager

I would probably go on an epic quest to find everything i could put in a museum, then fill my ship with plushies. Like the Super Sea Snail plushie from that inkling mod that i cant remember the name of right now. Also i would record a video of me shooting moon monsters in low-gravity with dubstep in the background. and do backflips during it

Dragon_Knight02 likes this.
  11. Rocket6488

Rocket6488 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

well, I'd be a star... do I wanna go and chase down someone with a mighty fine glow? or should I just keep doing what I'm doing and planet hop with my trusty crew, looting and continuing my 3.04 mil phat stack...

any opinions?

12. Heartstrings

Heartstrings Giant Laser Beams

This question could be interpreted a number of ways. Turned into, how? Bodily? Mentally? Do I end up in a clone of my universe? A similar universe that makes more sense than the game does? Do I stay where I am?

If I am mentally transformed, I am dead. I cannot make any assumptions about how my character would act, I suppose.

If I am physically transformed but remain on Earth, I'm a highly augmented human with access to absurdly powerful devices that could revolutionize the world. I'm also short a spaceship and I have a gun so weak that a sword is viable in comparison. If I keep my ship, I have a fully functional example of a SSTO starship that could launch humanity into a new golden age if used properly, as well as a few dozen kinds of crops that don't exist anywhere on Earth but apparently make good eating. If I play my cards right, I could easily become a billionaire off of a business built around the technology.

If I am physically transformed and transferred into a nearly identical clone of my universe, I probably die a lonely, sad death after disabling my cloning bays, because Starbound's given universe is hollow and sad and not a place anyone would actually want to live in, because games can't simulate actual humans and Starbound does a particularly poor job of simulating civilization.

If I am physically transformed and transferred into a universe that is similar to Starbound's, but altered enough to make sense and extrapolated from the lore and assumed to be fully functional similar to our own, I almost certainly die either trying to destroy the ruin or attempting to flee from it. In either case, it's pretty obvious that I would be in absurdly over my head as far as pretty much every part of the quest goes -- I have not received even a fraction of the knowledge that most people come the age Starbound takes place in likely have, and I certainly didn't attend a Protectorate college; I can't operate modern-day firearms, how could I use futuristic ones? I don't know what kind of education methods any of the factions use, but I think I can safely say that the Apex are out (propaganda, brainwashing, inadequate access for most civilians anyways), as are the Hylotl (letting a human in? lol), the Florans (education? what's that?), the Novakid (ADD : the species), the Glitch (on second thought, maybe they can teach me to use the archaic absurdly outdated weaponry everyone in Starbound uses), Humanity (remember, they all got eaten, and the USCM is crumbling), and the Avians (the Grounded might be my best shot, but I don't know anything about them or their culture).

If the Ruin is still actively attempting to destroy the universe, I likely don't have a very large timeframe to complete the main quest, and during that timeframe I need to acquire a nearly total education on just about everything important in the Starbound universe, including how not to blow the ship up while flying it. I also need to learn how to use multiple types of weapons, advanced ancient tools whose only active users just died, how to fly a spaceship at all, re-introduce myself to Esther and hope she doesn't break down after her sole hero just more or less died, deal with enormous emotional issues due to having lost virtually everything I've cared about up until this point, suffer through having to deal with an entirely new body, and many, many, many other issues.

I think it's safe to say that any option bar simply spontaneously turning into my character and remaining on Earth right now would eventually end in my (almost certainly violent and horrible) death, and if the Starbound universe is involved, the violent and horrible death of every single sapient soul residing in it as well.

But hey, I'd have natural purple hair!

Edit: I suppose if you want to take a loose interpretation of the question, I'd be turning into Neptune, from Hyperdimension Neptunia. This would have radically different changes, except for the "being stuck in a nearly perfect clone of Starbound's current universe" scenario, which would still probably end in a depression-induced suicide.

13. dullreverie

dullreverie Void-Bound Voyager

The same thing we do every night pinky, try and take over the galaxy! All land and resources are property of the Spiral Order!

14. Mewrocks

Mewrocks Tentacle Wrangler

Well, my "Job" would be basically a bounty hunter. I'd seek out and stab fishmen- I mean menaces such as the feared Dreadwing, or the vile Occasus Cult. I'd also probably would build lots of houses using my Matter Manipulator so many some people could have affordable housing, and just do cool stuff you can do in starbound...

But, if I was still in this dimension, and not Starbounds...
    Well, erm, since no one else is a Floran (so there is no hope of this species surviving) I'd probably be taken by a research station and be cut open X_X

15. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

I would get meats!

16. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

Question reality.

Unclever title and soldierfast90 like this.
  17. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

Probably melt. It's summer here and ammonia-based creatures can't stand "temperate" climates.

18. Tlactl

Tlactl Cosmic Narwhal

Ammonia based creatures would burn to death even at Earth temperatures

19. turntech

turntech Master Chief

settle down in some novakid coolboy zone and live to a ripe old natural supernova.

duh.

20. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

To be fair, I seriously doubt the original poster took even a moment to think about any of such implications. Judging by the tags, their profile pic and the contents of the first post, it looks like they simply have a fetish for anthro animals made of latex.

How is that supposed to work? How does that relate to Starbound? Don't ask me, I wouldn't know.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2017