1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What size party do you usually play in?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tiy, Apr 23, 2015.

?

What size party do you usually play in?

1. I only play alone

471 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. Two Players

552 vote(s)
    25.1%
  3. Three Players

439 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Four Players

355 vote(s)
    16.2%
  5. Five Players

155 vote(s)
    7.1%
  6. Six Players

101 vote(s)
    4.6%
  7. 7 Players +

123 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. Tiy

Tiy Lead Developer Chucklefish

Hi guys,

We're gathering some feedback that will help us better design the party hud. If everyone could take a minute to vote on this I'd really appreciate it.

2. The party HUD is actually good, i see people usually on parties 3-4 members, the energy/life display, the little pointer for party member location makes it very useful.
    It only has some bugs, specially if you leave the party and try to join another sometimes the party "+" disapears and you can't get to actually enter any new parties without go back to menu and rejoin.

With the actual implementation of "teleport to player" on the game, does the party "Beam to Ship" need to stay there? Would make sense as it's also based on teleportation be now integrated on ship teleporter.

On suggestions that might not directly the party design but adds more to the function, is actually able to teleport our ship to a party member ship coordinate, or at least get to bookmark the planet the party member ship is orbiting, being right now only possible if the party member gives the exact coordinates.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  3. Lucaine

Lucaine Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't have a problem with the current party HUD personally, the only thing that I would change is putting "teleport to party member" in the options list when clicking a party member, and/or moving "teleport to ship" to the teleporter.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    spenceman111 and notoriouswriter like this.
  4. LastDay

LastDay Heliosphere

Forever alone!

...at least my leafy orange-eating space-snake loves me.

5. Saklad5

Saklad5 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I only play alone right now, not by preference so much as difficulty of forming a party. Would it be feasible to allow mission-only parties from multiple single-player worlds (Two people connecting single-player games, perhaps over LAN)? While it is true that you could sequence-break this way, it isn't much different than sequence-breaking on a server. Since missions are not editable or randomly generated, there would be no conflicts like there would be on planets.

6. jpmrocks

jpmrocks Phantasmal Quasar

Normally, I play either alone or with my m8. Rarely tho, I can get into party with tons of guys in it on servers. Unless party means something else.

7. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Even though I put the first radial "alone play"...

I actually am mainly playing alone for the moment, at least until certain things are more finished and polished.

If I was to be in a party it could vary. I'd said between 2-4. Primarily 2. That is including myself of course. I may have others I could play with in the game, but don't feel the options in multiplayer are enough. Primarily concerning the server setup. example, server side characters being one of the options, as well server tools expanded upon.

Far as the party system itself goes; I like how it is for the most part, but the teleport to ship thing might be better off in the teleporter list. Maybe in a way, in a separate panel that will list the players in party. From there if allowed to teleport to their ship the option button will be shown; or it could be the name will be there but greyed out if teleport is restricted to their ship. Just thinking ahead in what could be possible, especially when/if the server commands get expanded further.

I do like the portraits along the side being shown, although could it be possible to have a shortcut or button somewhere(possibly the + like it is now) to open a box for party options. Add buttons to add, remove selected/leave party, and general setup. maybe even have a party name, like how bands get to name themselves; that could be optional. Come to think of it the teleport to ship stuff could be in that if something like this was done.

As mentioned the HUD itself, being the portraits seems fine; although wondering if it could be known when ailments are inflicted on party members to a degree. If that is already there, then that is good. As mentioned I have only played single player for the moment. The rest of the layout I like.

Just a few ideas that come to mind when I think of the party system, and HUD.

8. AntiStoned

AntiStoned Big Damn Hero

Partying with players is a thing, but it would also be a great idea to party with NPCs, is that ever going to get implemented?

StarLoverNaz, Caidoz and Tamorr like this.
  9. Vandrick

Vandrick Phantasmal Quasar

Primarily 4. But I like the option of at least 6 since that happens on occasion when all of us manage to get on at the same time.

10. Jimlad 42

Jimlad 42 Supernova

My main request is a way to teleport to my ship from my friends ship. A mean a way that's better then teleporting to the surface then teleporting back to my ship.

Godly Newt, Borlax, tiat11 and 5 others like this.
  11. GenoMech

GenoMech Cosmic Narwhal

Honestly, i usually play in groups 3-4 and that was only after recommendation of the game, i would love to play in groups even bigger than that, but since the game isn't complete yet, i don't really get a chance to play with large groups of people since i don't know many who play

12. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

Is ship griefing still a problem, or did the new stable update change how it works?

13. Raizion

Raizion Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I usually play alone, mostly cause the multiplayer experience is kind of lacking. I prefer my mods, but when I look for servers. All of them seem to be vanilla for convenience's sake.

14. MisterG

MisterG Void-Bound Voyager

I would say as a minimum 3.

The reason being, there is always someone to play with (eg 5 people can be a group of 2 and a group of 3, 4 people can be 2 groups of two BUT if the max size is two, then any odd number of players will have someone playing on their own)

I hope that makes sense.

I don't know about a max size, I guess that should be based on technical or asthetic reasons (as always the more the merrier)

15. You gotta do parties with who you trust really, there is no protection against building or opening containers on any ship.

TinnedEpic and Dunto like this.
  16. Excuritas

Excuritas Void-Bound Voyager

Playing on a server with friends can lead to partys that need to be big enough for 5 people or more, so it would be nice to see if it just supports infinite numbers of crew members unless you go into an instanced dungeon/mission where you could restrict the party size to 4 players. I think that would be neat!

DragonsForce likes this.
  17. Aeronaut

Aeronaut Pangalactic Porcupine

When I'm not soloing, I'm almost always in a party of just 2-3 people including myself.

While I believe most of my historic partying has been in a group of three (two of my brothers + myself), lately I've just been playing the game with another Steam friend.

NaturalHighPenguin likes this.
  18. bombe

bombe Orbital Explorer

I want to play more than 2, but there are not enought nightly servers without lags ..

Why don't you open Official servers for starbound ?

Hyrus likes this.
  19. Lagoz

Lagoz Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I play alone :X i bought like 10 copies of the game and gave it to friends.. yea they dont want to play with me anymore :(oh well :D

20. LunaCee

LunaCee Void-Bound Voyager

Typically its as a party of two to four, but at least once a week its a full group of seven... and that side bar gets awfully crowded at that point.

Milly Rainbowskittlez and Luna like this.