What people don't want to see in Starbound?

Discussion in 'Other' started by werty11109, Jul 22, 2012.

1. The Enlightened Grue

The Enlightened Grue Master Astronaut

but...
    I can't...
    and then...

The Basilisk and her crew bid you Good-Day, sir! and may we never cross paths with your lethal chunk of space-dust. *grumble grumble*

2. Auraknight

Auraknight Weight of the Sky

i don't wanna see a point in the storyline when haveing another player is manditory.

Lost in Nowhere likes this.
  3. survivorization

survivorization Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It's only lethal if you hack at it a few times with a sword.

4. The Enlightened Grue

I was making a reference to that one thing that says that a roosters crow is deadly to a basilisk >_>
    and who uses swords? I use tnt-batons!

5. Huntrex

Huntrex Big Damn Hero

Yeah I hate that too. SKyrim did it in a way that nearly made me cry. They put ROADS to invisible walls. No, it's not just a big circle of mountains that look pretty, it's a ROAD it's supposed to LEAD somewhere, and I can't go there... :cry:

BUT alas, they are necessary. In most cases. But this game should be without them really.

Auraknight likes this.
  6. Auraknight

i hated that.
    i was Rping a skyrim character,
    and i was hunting a deer, (an event that can take a few days in-game,)
    and it ran across one of these boundrys,
    and i killed it,
    and i couldn't get anything.

Huntrex likes this.
  7. survivorization

No idea what a basilisk is! I just continued the Zelda reference.

8. survivorization

That takes several ingame days.... HOW?!

9. Auraknight

well, first you run thru the woods,
    scare a deer,
    run after it for a while.
    then stalk it so you don't scare it.
    then.
    (depending on how hardcore you are)
    sneak up to it and knife it.
    or shoot it with a bow.
    if not 1hko,
    go back to running after it.

10. survivorization

See deer.
    Crouch down.
    Shoot deer.

11. Crazyon

Crazyon Master Astronaut

I just want the ability to walk AROUND a planet.
    Go one direction, and for a while...Then finally rerun where you started.

Huntrex likes this.
  12. The Enlightened Grue

I do believe that has been confirmed.

bounding star and Huntrex like this.
  13. survivorization

I second this in addition to being able to jump.

§hifter and Bombzero like this.
  14. Dwagon

Dwagon Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Problems related to water-duplication and removal.
    It was one of my biggest gripes with Terraria; creating liquids was easier than getting rid of it.

DeadlyLuvdisc likes this.
  15. amh7912

amh7912 Big Damn Hero

Lava like terrarias.

16. DeadlyLuvdisc

DeadlyLuvdisc Oxygen Tank

An aquatic race. People keep suggesting an aquatic race because they really want aquatic dungeons that utilize water to create unique difficulties, or to have entirely underwater homes. While I also want these same game play experiences, I think that fish people are not the best way to implement these ideas. Of course, there are worse things, but this is the one that is on my mind at the moment.

17. Bombzero

Bombzero Giant Laser Beams

Why does aquatic = fish? It doesn't have to.

18. DeadlyLuvdisc

DeadlyLuvdisc Oxygen Tank

Why does artificial = robot? It doesn't have to.

Eh... To elaborate, "fish" might be an insult to an aquatic race, since they are not mere fish. Also, the aquatic race might not even be fish, which would make it even more annoying. "Robot" would probably also be viewed as derogatory by a race of sentient artificial life. The term robot has historically been used by a lot of characters that would be an insulting comparison to an intelligent and sentient race. For example, "Robot" from Lost in Space talks with a sort of metallic voice that a self respecting race might find insulting, since they'd be able to speak any way they would want to. When people think of "robots", they often don't think the things would have emotion, or they may assume that they are some sort of collective, like the Borg from Startrek.
    Also, a metallic race might not need to be artificial. They could be heavy metal-based organisms.
    I've hear a lot of people say an aquatic race would be more interesting than a robotic race. I invite those people to watch Astro Boy, A.I., Ghost in the Shell, Chobits, and any number of other works of fiction that do not have robots who blow up at the first mention of a logical paradox or other such nonsense. Also, perhaps read this page from TvTropes: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RidiculouslyHumanRobots
    Also, generally speaking, an aquatic race is basically just putting an animal head on a human body, since it would have to be humanoid to prevent development problems like redesigning a lot of armor and equipment, and also it could not have permanent effects on gameplay such as being able to breathe water. There already are bird people and ape people, and Starbound is not secretly Starfox. What Sci-fi game would be complete without being able to play as an Android?

19. Bombzero

Bombzero Giant Laser Beams

Ah ok now I get what you mean.

I do think personally I would prefer a more "lizard-like" aquatic race simply because of my heavy bias towards having a lizard like race in Starbound.
    I just simply don't see robots as being "better than" an aquatic race.
    Both could be fucked up royally by the devs but I have confidence they can design races well enough on their own.

JackBread likes this.
  20. survivorization

I'm falling asleep at my desk so let's see how good I can get by following upon certain points.

An aquatic race can take the form of any variant of aquatic life. There's not just fish down there.

A metallic race could be based on the silicon atom (not silicone, big difference so no breast implant jokes. I stopped all of mine when I found that out) instead of the carbon atom. I believe the alien called the cyberdisc in XCOM is based on the silicon atom and is metallic and looks very robotic in nature. On the subject of XCOM there's another metal alien that may or may not be alive. Its complicated circuitry is built like a circulatory system only instead of blood it circulates plasma (the 4th state of matter plasma).

A collective artificial race reminds me of the geth in Mass Effect. A group of networked AIs that can download and copy themselves into physical platforms, that when said platform ceases to function then uploads itself back to the general consciousness. Each individual geth is not really alive but as more and more 'programs' interface with each other they gain consciousness. Later at the end of the 3rd game (dependent on actions) Each program gains full sentience in the way we think of AI, not just a hodge podge of different interlinked programs, that can still download themselves onto different platforms.

Tachikomas are awesome, also another example of software based AI that doesn't necessarily need a physical body.

The devs already have to redo armor for each race if I understand it correctly. I know for sure each race has their race's crafting recipes and therefore their unique armors but I don't know if other races' armors look different when worn by a member of a different race.

Also another form of artificial life, a race of clones like the Horatio in Endless Space. Arguably artificial since they reproduce artificially. Same goes for any organic or software construct that was created by another existing race.

I was like that initially. I play as the Gorn in Star Trek Online, Argonians in every Elder Scrolls game, and I'm modding in my own lizardman race in Dwarf Fortress. However, the avians have grown on me.