What people don't want to see in Starbound?

Discussion in 'Other' started by werty11109, Jul 22, 2012.

1. werty11109

werty11109 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The suggestions forum is large and great. People are really putting their mind into suggestions, but what I have yet to see is a thread on what people don't want in Starbound. It may sound ridiculous, but sometimes too much of something is a bad thing. So I wanted to know: What do people NOT want to see?

Keeper likes this.
  2. J-block

J-block Pay it Forward

Potion Cooldown...
    assuming there is potions

3. Manilian

Manilian Big Damn Hero

What I don't wanna see? Lag.

4. Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

What I don't want to see? Hm... Large scale Grifing I guess. I mean Planetary scale!

5. Epicousity

Epicousity Subatomic Cosmonaut

So you're against me dropping virus bombs on everything? I know which base I'm "visiting" first......

Squiddy, Olaykemo, Half-Mod35 and 9 others like this.
  6. Bombermansam

Bombermansam Void-Bound Voyager

I agree with ghost, although explosives are nice :devil:, I do not wish to see some of the planets which I have colonized be vaporized by a griefer's WMD if I decide to open up my universe to other people; either make it so a griefer would not be able to carry the death star around or not implement "planetcrackers" at all.
    (Griefing is going to happen even if they are not implemented (that much is certain); I only wish to stop a world from being obliterated in seconds as smaller craters are easier to clean up than Alderaan :yoda:. )

Thanks

Huntrex and TheAwesomeAvian like this.
  7. Madmarlon

Madmarlon Pangalactic Porcupine

Limitations. I mean limitations in any aspect, limitations in building height, limitations in planet depth, limitations in item and gear usage, limitations in spaceship usage, limitations in gameplay, etc.

I like to use every possibility in a game and do stuff that the game doesn't intend me to do normally. For example, I hate it when I run into an invisible wall when I leave a set path! :mad:

8. QuaziPance

QuaziPance Subatomic Cosmonaut

Oh, definitely a +1 for invisible walls being the devil. Just tell me where the boundaries are, and I'll deal with the fact that sometimes you do need boundaries in order for a game to work. But invisible walls are just laziness.

And if possible, also +1 to no boundaries at all. I was actually just thinking about how you could do that in a game like starbound/terraria, and I sort of came up with a solution (sorry if it is grammatically terrible, it is early and I have been awake for longer than a person should be):

Making the world wrap-around would work for left-right boundaries easily (like in pacman). For depth barriers you can either make the core of the planet either unpassable (due to some good reason, like because the core is just way too hot to survive digging through) but that is still not really no boundaries. For no boundaries you could still use wrap-around. In this case you would make the world a circle, then before flattening it out, make it so that every point on the circle has a sister point on the opposite end, for instance, if point A and B are sister points, digging straight down from point A gets you to point B. Since you have a finite number of blocks on your "circle" the programming would be rather straight forward For instance: take a world with 501 surface blocks that is 1000 blocks deep. Let block 1 and 501 be the same point. And digging down 1000 blocks from surface block 500 would get you back to surface block 250 (so 500 and 250 are sister points) With an extremely large amount of blocks, most people would never even know that these mechanics existed. The physics would be tricky, but nothing you couldn't figure out using high school physics and a little creativity. So that deals with barriers for the right, left and down.

Not sure how to get away from barriers while building up though. You can do like Minecraft and just make it so that you can't build above a certain point. You can even modify this to be less noticeable. Say you make point A be the highest point within the atmosphere, let the user build slightly above A, but don't let the user survive above A without a lot of work (it is outside of the atmosphere, so it should be difficult, but not impossible since it's the space-age). Then at some point A+X you can make it so that blocks simply can't stay stuck together, or can't be placed, maybe just make them float away or something. You could still let the user fly above this point though, to a point at A+X+n. Then if the user reaches point n, you can just make a section of repeating background, so that the user feels as though they are flying forever. There will be no blocks placed above this point, so if the background is just randomly generated stars, the user would never they had repeated (you could even count the number of repeats that have been made, so when the user falls back down, they would fall the same total number of blocks). Still not sure I like this solution though, as it still makes it so that there is a limit to how high you can build your structures. But again, if A+X is large enough, no normal user would ever know this limit exists.

Anyways, I got stuck at work babysitting a broken piece of machinery, so this is what I was thinking about while reading starbound forums on a Sunday morning.

Latrans, Huntrex, Bughunter and 6 others like this.
  9. Argthrond

Argthrond Oxygen Tank

Lol i agree i always hated the potion cooldown on Terraria.

10. Imnotdavis

Imnotdavis Big Damn Hero

I don't want to see a glitch so bad (there are games that do this just to troll) that you spawn in a world that was generated just to screw you over, meaning that you are in a world made up entirely of spikes, or millions of monsters.

11. QuaziPance

QuaziPance Subatomic Cosmonaut

I don't know about that. Potion cool-down was added to Terraria because it was too easy to just spam potions while fighting bosses/dungeon crawling. It basically made it so that the only thing you needed to do to beat a boss was farm gel and mushrooms, which wasn't really supposed to be the point of the game. Cool-downs make it so that potions are useful, and you are rewarded for farming ingredients, but you still have a risk of dying, even if you have a bunch of potions.

I for one vote potion cool-downs stay. Or at least add some other limiting factor to potions. For instance: a long "drinking" animation (like dark/demon souls), or limit the number of potions used per encounter/able to be carried.

Another possibility would be to do away with "all at once" healing potions, and just have hp/time potions that do not stack. This way people who want to farm potions will have the best HP regen, but won't necessarily be un-kill-able.

Basically, just make sure that fighting smart and well geared is rewarded over fighting with a 1000 potions in your inventory. Otherwise the game just turns into spam attack and potion button, while ignoring the search for cool armor because you have infinite health.

But for sure keep some form of alchemy in the game. I think one of the best parts about Terraria was making big farms/green houses to keep your alchemy going strong.

12. Argthrond

Argthrond Oxygen Tank

You are right about that. I have got nothing more to say. :D

Auraknight likes this.
  13. Invisible walls have got to go.:blank:

bounding star and Coffeeman like this.
  14. Manilian

Manilian Big Damn Hero

INVISIBLE WALL OF DEATH!

15. Vaeros

Vaeros Void-Bound Voyager

Limitations on Griefing.
    First off... if someone has the resource, dedication, and skill to fly the deathstar around and mine your planet for all its resources, more power to them... Pay Luke skywalker to go blow his crap up for destroying your stuff... I fully expect to get warred upon if i manage to build a death star and welcome it. Course droping zombie enducing bioweapons in the upper atmosphere then recording it is a much more satisfying victory. So long as you cant just spawn the greifing material and have to work for it... it should be fine.

Secondly if we have space tech in this game you better have an anti deathstar cannon on your planet... what if its not a player greifing you? What if Cthuhlu desides that you look tasty? I have been trolled harder by the game than i could ever possibly be trolled by a player. I can get away from a player... i cant get away from the game. All i have to say in that aspect is Creepers.

if you didnt scream like a little girl atleast once when you suddenly had a creeper you are a liar!

bounding star likes this.
  16. J-block

J-block Pay it Forward

You're going to have to reword that, cause the only size cannon that could destroy a deathstar would be the size of a deathstar.

The lol and Epicousity like this.
  17. Vaeros

A planet is bigger than the deathstar sir. Im not a starwars buff but i know that much atleast

Acctualy on the idea of the upper limit, why not take it a few steps higher than both Terraria and Minecraft. there is a point in Terraria where gravity starts to suck though i never tried to build in areas that high, and in minecraft there is definitly a spot where you cant build. How bout a spot where you just float away into space? Nothing teaches better than having to suffer though Re-entry damage because you jumped too high. On the bright side though if you can go from the left to the right side of the map seamlessly in that whole "pack man" style and have the orbit to sub-orbit zone in the height area then you got great space for satellites and orbital defense systems for that Trollsome deathstar rolling though the solar system. failing that it can make for hours of cheap laughs as you try to put chicken's into space with water pressure

Potion cool down does suck. Being invinceable due to potion chugging, even less fun, Now i turn the class's attention to Diablo 2 where 99% of the potions were not instant heals but heal over time. Over the span of a few seconds you would heal the value of the potion. The only exception was the rejuvenation potions which were rare, expensive, and either did a thrid of your hp and mp instantly or all of it to full. Blowing full rejuvenation potions was expensive and something you save for tough bosses and mobs. Modeling this type of potion design might solve all the things.

Huntrex, TheKobold666, Aer_ and 2 others like this.
  18. J-block

J-block Pay it Forward

So?

19. Vaeros

Sooo you can fit a death star cannon on a planet too and have room for plenty of other things... Or better yet planitary shielding. Magicly powered science Mirrors turning the death star beam back on it's self? yes please. less space requirement and a satisfying light show

TheKobold666 likes this.
  20. The Enlightened Grue

The Enlightened Grue Master Astronaut

Hylian Cuccos. Fool me once, my feathered enemies- but never twice!

Auraknight likes this.