1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What is your least favorite species?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Manman179, Jun 22, 2015.

?

What is your least favorite species?

1. Apex

19 vote(s)
    27.5%
  2. Human

10 vote(s)
    14.5%
  3. Florian

11 vote(s)
    15.9%
  4. Hylotl

10 vote(s)
    14.5%
  5. Glitch

4 vote(s)
    5.8%
  6. Avian

14 vote(s)
    20.3%
  7. Novakid

7 vote(s)
    10.1%
  8. Other

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. None

11 vote(s)
    15.9%
  10. All

4 vote(s)
    5.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Manman179

Manman179 Phantasmal Quasar

For me its the apex. when ever I find an apex village I get the feeling that they want to kill me. :eek:

Ixus likes this.
  2. kisspower12

kisspower12 Phantasmal Quasar

Least favorite? Hm.
    Humans.

Now don't get me wrong but ALL of the species, I adore!

But i guess humans are my least because well...were humans. Humans are in a lot of games, movies, stories, e.t.c. They have always been there and compared to the other races, they aren't exactly new to the playing field.
    But humans are still da bomb! I wish i could meet a real one! ;)

Xanderal, Seajun_, Kaiachi and 5 others like this.
  3. Kayuko

Kayuko Oxygen Tank

They're extinct I heard!
    And definetly hylotl.
    Because fish.

The MechE likes this.
  4. cooltv27

cooltv27 Heliosphere

I hate avians... because reasons (I do have actual reasons for it though)

5. Dartax

Dartax Title Not Found

I'm kinda not a fan of humans for similar reasons as above. Humans are... .well human. lol Ww know what we are. One of the beautiful things about fantasy and science fiction is we can be something NOT us for a change. Heck I just got the game and I've got 3 saves going with a Glitch, a Novakid, and a Floran going. Lovin it.

:badger:

6. zBound

zBound Starship Captain

Anything but the floran and human annoy the heck out of me

Alessondria likes this.
  7. Biirdy Daysleeper

Biirdy Daysleeper Weight of the Sky

Statement. I don't really like the Apex level appearance, but those who are free are nice.
    But I really hate humans in general, there are some really cool ones but most of them are no more than monsters with thirst of power.

8. Heartstrings

Heartstrings Giant Laser Beams

Humans are mostly harmless. :gooby:

I perhaps most dislike the Apex, if only because of the way their society functions.

I'm partial to both the floran and hylotl as my favorites though, with humans as third.
    I think I might have developed a thing for plants D:

Ixus likes this.
  9. Kattanos

Kattanos Pangalactic Porcupine

Originally, I would say humans.. That changed when they got cats (the master race) as travel companions.. My favorite was Glitch hands down, but got a mark against them when they got pigs.. I don't go too much into lore.. Especially after a big chunk was made null.. I'll wait for further developments before I dip into the lore again.. I hear it is bare bones right now anyways.. With that said, lore doesn't factor into me (dis)liking a race.. I guess I can't make much of an informed decision due to knowing little of the other races.. If I want to go based purely on character model and racial theme while ignoring pets, lore, and everything else, I could speculate what could be the least favorite..

Human - Generic Sci-Fi
    Glitch - Medieval robots
    Hylotl - Advanced tech, feudal Japanese theme
    Apex - Modern-esque, Big Brother is watching you!
    Avian - Egyptian Birds
    Floran - Savage Tirbal Plants
    Novakid - Wild Western Gas bags

Looks like Humans win (lose?) again! I guess being the "I'm Average Joe! Everything will be compared to me, thus making me a mundane choice!" race is just really unappealing to me.. Besides, my personal preference is/are monster races..

Shadencile and Ixus like this.
  10. VarekRaith

VarekRaith Phantasmal Quasar

Humans.
    Why?
    Because I RP a human most of the time.
    We sure are boring.
    :laugh:

Ixus and Kattanos like this.
  11. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

Hylotl. Those arrogant sons-of-fishes disrespect all of the other races and deserve to be eliminated from the universe.

Masich, The MechE and Ixus like this.
  12. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Well, "human" is always gonna be at a disadvantage simply by nature of being not an alien. But in this case, our only glimpses of them so far are military bases and military prisons.

Once Human outposts/villages and suchlike are plopped onto the worlds, that'd help give them a fuller existence in this game... it'd still likely make them less interesting than the others, but yannow.

(Sometimes my wife forgets that she is not a space alien. We are just like you, I assure you.)

Masich, Ixus and rhomboid like this.
  13. Kattanos

Kattanos Pangalactic Porcupine

I see what you did there.. But I admit there are some reasons for people to enjoy playing as humans.. Preference being a major one.. Some people like to try copying themselves into the game and get their immersion through having an avatar that mirrors their appearance.. By extension, the actions of their avatar is their own in more ways than one.. I know it sounds obvious with any race you pick, but some people get attached to their character due to its likeness of its owner and they feel like they are genuinely in the game.. A sort of "This isn't Fishy Joe the hylotl beaming down on a planet as alien as he is.. No! This is me! Bob the human investigating a world completely unlike the planet I grew up to know and love!" mentality..

Yes, I am fully aware that in my previous post that I said humans are boring to me, but that's just it.. They are boring to me.. Also sorry for the rant.. You can have the box of soap back now.. *steps down* I dunno why I felt it necessary to write all that, but I'm too lazy to hit delete.. Besides, my points still stand..

14. Nirbil

Nirbil Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Probably the Apex. They don't feel any different from the humans themselves. But their armor sets are pretty cool, specifically the Assassin's Set.

15. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

I like all in concept, lore, looks, general nature, etc...

So it is a difficult choice really. I have to say either apex or novakids.

Apex, even though it reminds me of planet of the apes; the society is in a way pretty creepy, at least the not so free explorer. I do enjoy the many items they offer in an alternate reality gone off in another direction. Their methods and amusement... is torturing to even look at or conceive, especially in the labs, and the maze.

Novakids. I may have a absent mind myself at times being a bit spacey, and I like their ship... I am just not overly fond of the western theme they have. I like trains, just not fond of the wild west. other than that their concept is fine, just not to my taste or preference.

So I guess ultimately Apex would be the least favorite by the above statistic. hmm... Well if you want to put logic to it. Otherwise both are equally my least favorite. And again I like all the species/races we can play and not play equally usually...:)

Ironbeak likes this.
  16. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Birds.

No, not the avians. The birds.

They are menacing, man. I've seen the koala...

17. Mau5GoneMad

Mau5GoneMad Subatomic Cosmonaut

H U M A N S . I don't understand why they are so flippin' popular! So many people play as them, not realising that they are the most boring race in the whole universe! I think that humans should be removed from the game and a different race should replace their ship, armour and weapons! DOWN WITH THE HUMANS. ok maybe they shouldn't be removed, but... THEY ARE BORING! Avians are the best!

jasonzoo123 likes this.
  18. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

I don't find that wierd. In fact, I have chosen this lifestyle as well.

19. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

...valuing knowledge over individual rights and independent will. Stay in line, shut your mouth, mind your business, do what you're told, or we're going to have to remove some of those nasty thoughts from your brain... oh, and part of your brain. And maybe any of your surviving family members. They might have to go too. Well, we might not kill them at first. Pretty sure we can use more test subjects. Some of them survive... sometimes even for a week.

The Apex society is EVIL. It's awful. It's inhumane, it's a society of extreme power imbalance and oppression held together by instilling fear in the populace. It's straight out of George Orwell's 1984. It's North Korea, and that place is one of the most horrifying regimes on Earth.

It makes for an interesting fictional setting, sure, but as something to aspire to? No, and I'd start asking some serious questions about your life choices if you think it is.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  20. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

I hate everyone equally.