Modding Discussion what is universe.chunks in universe folder?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by amirmiked12, Apr 11, 2017.

1. amirmiked12

amirmiked12 Parsec Taste Tester

what is universe.chunks in universe folder? and will deleting it cause any problem?

2. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

the universe.chunks stores data that is not generated planets. The outpost is one of them. deleting universe.chunks will completely reset any worlds in it, including the outpost, so I wouldn't suggest it unless you're starting from scratch

3. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

You are thinking of universe.Dat

Universe.chunks is the layout of the stars on the navigation. It generates them in chunks, much like minecraft generates world's in chunks.

4. amirmiked12

amirmiked12 Parsec Taste Tester

What will happen if i delete it?

5. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

You force it to regenerate which is more likely unnecessary because the chunks will be the same anyways iirc.

~ Iris ~

6. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

ok i hav a question about that: If the game were to update and change something about generation, will the chunks still be the same?

7. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

If an update changes generation only new generated chunks will be affected because the "old" ones will get loaded from said file. This system guarantees that already present planets will be the same panet even with changed universe generation. Planets get loaded by their coordinates + an internal id.
    Let's say you changed generation and you see an ocean planet. You beam down but stored is a scorched planet from the previous generation (at least that could be the expected behaviour regarding that load by id stuff).

Personally i wouldn't touch it unless you reaaaally have to e.g. cuz of removing a mod. But it would come with deleting the planets too to keep this planet-id assignment.

EDIT: ^this only counts if the generation changes. Otherwise deleting the file only causes unnecessary recreation and therefor higher loading times in the nav console x)

~ Iris ~