1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What if my world gets to large

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by ernest, Mar 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladplaya

Vladplaya Cosmic Narwhal

No, it won't load entire galaxy, that would be huge waste of resources. Actually if they will take their time coding the game, they can make it so when you are on a single planet, the game will load only chuck of the planet that is visible to the player, so no matter how big your planet is you should never lag. Also considering that this is sprite based 2D game, I don't see too many people having issues with loading anything, the sprites are pretty small in size so unless you have very very old computer, it shouldn't be a problem.

2. zebri

zebri Master Chief

I don't think that there will be lag since i think the only planet which tiles/blocks are visible is the one you currently are on
    but if your world file wastes your whole HDD space...
    [​IMG]

No really, i think you could discover billions of planets before the limit is reached.

3. Daitenshi

Daitenshi Giant Laser Beams

Like in MineCraft where it isn't legitimately possible to reach the end of the world.

4. merlin.violet

merlin.violet Void-Bound Voyager

That sounds like an excellent way to address the problem. And you can have neat finite worlds so you can explore it all.

5. Breather

Breather Oxygen Tank

The planets aren't infinite, they go in a loop, like a real planet.

6. HazardJake

HazardJake Void-Bound Voyager

I don't think it would be super big in terms of space saved on your HD. I could see that all the worlds would stay in it's code, when you go there it'll generate the world and you play around in it, leave and the world will compress untill you come back. As in you'd only need to save every world you go to, on the planets them selves I think it'd be best if they had the terrain ahead of you like say 1000 blocks in all directions prespawn or get ready for you while the rest go back into their "sleep" state.
    ~Jake

7. ChickenBandit

ChickenBandit Star Wrangler

30 MB is chump change. As comparison, until a patch that decreased save sizes, large worlds in Terraria were about 90 mb.

To answer the OP's question, the game isn't going to have every single world youve ever visited all open at the same time. The only thing you would ever have to worry about is harddrive space, and even then you would need to visit a few tens of thousands og worlds before that started mattering.

8. ChickenBandit

Actually the worlds can be set to be infinite instead of wrapping around. See the IRC Q&A for some details.

9. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

Huh? No one told me that.

10. Ponzai

Ponzai Aquatic Astronaut

As far as I understand, the differenet planets would be like different terraria worlds, but i would assume that it would load in chunks like MC.

11. Maunokki

Maunokki Phantasmal Quasar

Yes it might make the game laggy, since the game has to keep the info about the planets stored somewhere, so eventually it will start using more memory and processing capacity to keep up with all that, which will make the game laggier, depending on your hardware quality. The amount of how much you have to explore to make the game lag could greatly vary depending on your computer.

Nothing is for sure though! We will have to wait for the developers to answer this : )

12. ChickenBandit

That's simply incorrect. Harddrive space is the only thing that would ever become an issue with a game this simple. RAM isn't an issue, the game doesn't have the entire game loaded all at once.

13. OmnipotentEntity

Worlds are currently generated "on the fly" at run time. The only things that are saved are deltas between what the world actually looks like and what the world generates as. Hard drive space isn't really a problem either as a result. Also new worlds load almost instantly.

14. ChickenBandit

So save files only store the differences between what the seed generates and the changes that the player makes? That's some smart coding there.

Edit: on that whole infinite worlds thing, I was just going based off what Tiyuri said in one of the IRC Q&As. As one of the devs can you confirm or deny?

15. OmnipotentEntity

I can't deny, because there might be plans that I haven't been clued in on yet.

This is what you're talking about right? Currently we don't generate any infinite planets, and I don't think that there are plans to. But that could change.

16. FrEnZy210

FrEnZy210 Starship Captain

I don't like the idea of an unlimited world. It bothers me. Starbound has some sort of... realism, maybe? I feel that if you could see the planet on a star-map, it couldn't be limitless. The universe is rapidly expanding, though, and can be limitless.

17. OmnipotentEntity

Mostly my only objection to the idea is it's hard to make an infinite world interesting for a reason other than the novelty of running either left or right forever and never running into anything. We're focusing less on the "how neat it is that everything is procedurally generated" and more on the "this is a unique area that is compelling to explore and even though you know it's random it feels designed." It's nearly impossible to do the second part with an infinite world.

18. FrEnZy210

FrEnZy210 Starship Captain

That makes sense. But with the world generator you seem to have I think every area would be interesting, right? I understand what you mean though. The temptation to run left for an hour without stopping to *cliche alert* smell the roses would take something away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.