1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What if my world gets to large

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by ernest, Mar 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ernest

ernest Void-Bound Voyager

Hello, Ive been wondering if i explore too manny planets in starbound wont that make the game laggy?

WelshPixie i already got your answer so you dont need to reply :p

2. A.N.T.I.

A.N.T.I. Spaceman Spiff

That's a good question that I don't have a good answer to. Try asking the devs at some point if their on or go on the irc.

3. Dal

Dal Phantasmal Quasar

the whole world probably won't be loaded all the time?

Ponzai likes this.
  4. iblob

iblob Big Damn Hero

Yup not all the world would be loaded at once.
    But if it really is infinite im wondering if theres going to be something like the farlands in Minecraft.

5. ernest

Well i had a prob with mc my whole world got loaded at once and the world was around 30mb

6. Dal

Dal Phantasmal Quasar

you go from planet to planet here they are probably not infinite and when you go to a new one the old one won't be loaded. is my guess.

Gustaf Lindberg likes this.
  7. ernest

hope it will be like that
    it would reduce the lagg a lot. But then each world would take more time to load

*Posts merged

8. Ecchiholic

Ecchiholic Cosmic Narwhal

I guess it will be like Dal said, well at least that would be the best solution.

Yeah it would increase the load times I think, but still: I'd rather wait some time than lagging through my world.
    Maybe loading times could be bridged by conversations between you and your spacestation crew or some information about the planet you're flying to?

9. merlin.violet

merlin.violet Void-Bound Voyager

Or if you're current position if far enough away from a loaded area, it would unload the area. Just don't load the parts
    of space which aren't used at the moment.

10. Myonmallow

Myonmallow Void-Bound Voyager

From (/watch?v=iQ9-kePmUws), it kinda sounded more like worlds loop forever as if they were round or something.

Uh, unless you were talking about worlds that aren't joined to each other... (hm)

Ponzai likes this.
  11. KuraiRyuu

KuraiRyuu Space Kumquat

They might make some planets infinite too, but yeah, we are talking about how planets will be loaded and such while you are away from them.

12. Myonmallow

Myonmallow Void-Bound Voyager

Oh, uh, well in that case, I'd say they wouldn't be loaded while you're not there.
    It seems to me like planets are only travelled-between by spaceship, so unless that actually isn't the case... yeah, there'd be no point unless you're actually there.

But hmm, multiplayer...

13. Tamarama

Tamarama Guest

I kind of wonder how Starbound will handle procedural generation between updates. Presumably, anything you've explored will stay the same... no new content. For instance PlanetXYZ won't change from grassland, to biomeABC after an update if you've already built there.

But in one of the interviews they talk about planet seeds being the same no matter what computer you play from. Which is cool. It means you can share exploration data. But if planetXYZ has already been generated on a busy server, then it's not going to be the same as on the new server version. I picture a lot of people sharing their explorer data with a little versioning caveat, "SuperGunQRS is at these coordinates, but only if it's been generated after version 1.23 because it will only spawn on Luchador Planets"

14. TechnoRaven

TechnoRaven Aquatic Astronaut

Might use something like mine craft, compress and store the data of planets you aren't on.

15. ernest

Lol this has been a huge conversation i was just thinking about it while on mc

So manny teories on how the world will load

*Under your message is an edit function, please use this instead of double posting.
    Thank you

Bask
    ~Starbound forum Moderator

16. JohnDevince

JohnDevince Scruffy Nerf-Herder

They already said/showed that the world is round! So eventually you'll make it to where you began!
    ~ Thank You!
    John Devince

17. ernest

No thats what i dont mean you will be able to travel to other planets...idiot

18. JohnDevince

JohnDevince Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Don't need to be mean about it :'( I think there will eventually be a limit or it will be the " Minecraft + Big world = 4 GB of space "
    ~ Thank You!
    John Devince

ernest likes this.
  19. ernest

or mby it would take to much time to make it to big to make the game laggy

20. Daitenshi

Daitenshi Giant Laser Beams

Interesting Topic. I'm sure these have been already posted but hey it's what I think.
    • Limited World: The world is round/square/Triangle - Run far enough one way you'll get to the other.
    • Unlimited World: The only way these would work is if they're only loaded or accessed when the player is on the planet. And the tiles seen are only loaded within a certain distance of the player, and just stored on the Server for later use.
    Eventually, unless the planet is bookmarked or saved, I'm sure it will be deleted, never to be found again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.