1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What features do YOU want added?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Lavender Aces, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Gobi Slave

Gobi Slave Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Something that I find lacking from the game is automation. Which is funny because it's sci-fi.

I know that there's a mod for automatic mining machines, but I'd also like to see automated item storage, some automated crafting, automated farming, automated fluffalo harvesting, and maybe some limited automation in cooking.

Obviously, each bit of automation would be a late game deal, at the point in your playthrough when doing that task simply becomes tedious, and the machinery required to do it can be expensive (or maybe have tenants that do it).

Frankly, though, I'm just getting tired of searching through the 20 or so chests on my ship to find the stuff that I'm looking for.

Blevruz, Lavender Aces and DraikNova like this.
  2. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Yeah, automation is cool for stuff like that, but not only does it help with tedious tasks, entire goals can be built around it. There's a reason automation is close to the core of most popular minecraft mods, and I'd love it if we'd be able to do automation-based quests in starbound.

Blevruz and Gobi Slave like this.
  3. Gobi Slave

Ooh! Automation quests! Now that's a good idea. There should be NPC's that ask you to build an automated system for them, which they then "work" at once you make it for them, and what you get from the quest could be proportional to how effective the automated system is.

Blevruz and Lavender Aces like this.
  4. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

I was thinking that it just asks you to make an item that either requires an automatic crafting system to make or would be ridiculously tedious to make without one. That's the way minecraft mods do it.

Blevruz likes this.
  5. Arra

Arra The End of Time

I personally like a factions system, small wars/ gigantic wars spanning throughout the universe with procedurally generated, but long lived missions. Planet destroying weapons, or maybe negotiations and the ability to become a horrid villain/ warlord

6. Gobi Slave

That sounds like one of those gameplay overhaul mods that people used to make for Minecraft. I bet we'll be seeing some of those eventually.

Blevruz and Hatsya Souji like this.
  7. Gobi Slave

You know what else would be awesome? A postgame story. Something to do with the shadow people and maybe fishing out the rest of the Occasus cult, with cool new weapons and lore. And maybe a novakid boss fight, like what happened with the other races, except this time you're looking for something other than an artifact.

Blevruz and Lavender Aces like this.
  8. FaerieHawk

FaerieHawk Subatomic Cosmonaut

-A better way to travel underwater/better water worlds in general. Visited an Ocean Planet for the first time in forever since I last played and oh my goodness was it obnoxious to travel through. Had to travel in ball mode because for the most part that was the fastest way to go. I bought a vehicle from the guy at the outpost but the seafloor is too randomly bumpy for that to be worthwhile. And the fact someone working on the game thought it'd be a good idea to make the orshrooms destructible just by attacking around them.... why? Sure before it was obnoxious to wind up with a bunch in my inventory because they'd randomly be sitting as an item on the bottom of the ocean, but now I can't even pick them up to light the ground back up. It's too dark to see if there are chests on the ground in places as I'm rolling around or if there's a monster fish nearby... and the one dungeon in the ocean world is also obnoxious to navigate due to the slow water travelling and pitch blackness in places. Even an item you can hold that basically is just a machine you hold in your hands and move forward would be good enough to me. As of now, I've scanned all the hylotl items I need for the story and I hope I never have to step into an ocean again.

-Make the underground more interesting. It feels like there's less to find underground now somehow. Or at the very least it's spread out a lot more so 80% of the time I'm just wandering through pitch black caves for nothing. The biomes aren't interesting at all down there for the most part. There's nothing to look for down there but ore, so I feel like most of my time should be spent running around the surface and once I get back to the landing point I should just leave and find another planet to run around the surface of for a bit. Like give a change for me to find a hidden underground settlement of Agarans or a bunker full of paranoid humans. Or even just a miniature dungeon of some sort down there. Something more than the small structures that are down there now. Before the full release at some point I remember I'd find weird things like a livable shelter, abandoned small bunkers, and a room with random arcade machines. Unlike the new underground things, these ones were not hard to miss due to sound effects and being even partially lit up. I have to accidentally stumble onto things now because it's totally pitch black down there unless I find the glowing cell biomes, poison water, or one of those large pods that you activate for random effects.

-Maybe some better protection for the lone NPCs living in houses/huts/caves around the planets, too. I had a random bounty hunt event spawn right in one of their houses on a snow planet and both he and his neighbor died before I even got there to help them. Not to mention all the times I've had NPCs wander outside and invite a monster to chase them into said house where they get pinned in an upper room and die.:geek: Random non-settlement NPCs are dumb potatoes. At least settlement NPCs have a better survival rate in my experience xD

9. Snow and Ice wolf

Snow and Ice wolf Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I kind of want to see the creatures get some more focus.
    Maybe make some ride-able, and add in passive unique creatures to make it seem like not everything unique is trying to kill you, and give them more uses than just combat. Also the ability to name capture ones.
    I saw this somewhere else, but it would also be interesting to give randomly generated monsters random descriptions and names.
    I also want to see ship pets get some uses as well.

It would also be interesting to give some uses and lore to the other races out there, like the fenerox, shadow people, frogs, agaran, and alpaca, maybe even be able to add them to your crew.

10. Gobi Slave

*Rides into town on an adult poptop*
    Swag.

I like the idea of more lore, too. There's just so much left to be explained in this universe, and I hope that they've got something planned for those other races.

11. Lavender Aces

Lavender Aces Space Spelunker

they see me rollin'

on my poptop

12. ManaUser

ManaUser Cosmic Narwhal

A bit more variety in random NPC quests would be nice. I tend to do a fair amount of them, to get crew, a chance of nice items, or just because... but they do get old fairly quick.

Edit: Made a thread in the suggestions forum for random quest ideas. Why not share yours?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  13. Gobi Slave

Patrollin' they tryin to catch me ridin' starry
    try to catch me ridin' starry
    look at me I'm ridin' starry

Yes, please. As funny as some of the descriptions for quests can be (I was once asked to kill a bunch of divers because they were discussing theoretical physics), I would love more than "fetch me this" or "kill this". There is more variety once you add in colonization, since your tenants will ask for neighbors, but it still feels like there should be more.
    Maybe some quests that involve events, like the boss dungeons, where you go to a certain location with someone and have to solve puzzles and fight a miniboss.

14. Momopovich

Momopovich Pangalactic Porcupine

-Upgrade the game for better performances. Entities like fluffalo, sprinkler and a lot of stuff make a shit ton of lag when you use a lot of them. I don't know if the game can be changed that much, I'm a bit pessimistic.
    from this :
    -more view distances. I already use a clientside mod for this but it should be implemented and optimized so big screens don't lag like crazy.
    -Automation : game mechanics that allow players to design and build useful machines.

AND :
    -smooth diagonal building blocks/platforms
    -more convenience in building in general.

The limitations in creative aspects always make me leave starbound after a certain point, and i generally only come back for the latest updates which unfortunately only add ephemeral exploration and combat content. This is fun for a while but doesn't last very long.

Hatsya Souji and DraikNova like this.
  15. ManaUser

ManaUser Cosmic Narwhal

Yeah, I do miss the ability to slope blocks from Terraria, especially for roofing. I know the designated roofing tiles kinda slope, kinda, but it does feel limiting.

To completely change the subject, you know what else I'd like to see?

More recipes that use eggs but not milk.

Seriously. Not knowing any better, I bought any equal number of Mooshi and Chickens. But I always end up with leftover eggs because only a handful of recipes (mostly rather poor ones) use egg but not either milk or cheese. You can't even make a plain fried or hard-boiled egg! (Though you can eat them raw, for some reason.)

But the reverse is not true. A wide variety of recipes use milk but not eggs. Shakes, fancy coffees, many different ice creams, porridge, puddings and soups, and that's not even counting the cheese recipes.

Snow and Ice wolf likes this.
  16. Kilowolf

Kilowolf Big Damn Hero

I want all the good techs back in. The only techs in the game now are the ones I hated back in Beta.

Loto likes this.
  17. Loto

Loto Void-Bound Voyager

I'd like to see a lot that was in beta back. Like the biomes, items, and hotbar. Loved being attacked with folding chairs in the human prison. A quick way to trash multiple items would be nice. The specific race abilities that I read about in early beta.
    Like to have variation in the story depending on the race you pick. NPC's need to take fall damage. Plenty of other stuff that's been posted in this board too.

Snow and Ice wolf likes this.
  18. Hekete

Hekete Subatomic Cosmonaut

More races : D

19. Blevruz

Blevruz Phantasmal Quasar

Something of a "factions" system like previously described

Planets under the hold of one of said factions (ex: a Miniknog megapolis with miniknog ships orbiting and a massive city that occupies most of the planet) and that react more or less positively to your presence

More diverse dungeons, microdungeons, biomes, procedural creatures (body, limbs and abilities wise), procedural weapons (maybe race specific looks and abilities ?)

That's the main things

20. Campaigner

Campaigner Giant Laser Beams

On a realistic note; move all unique monsters to special randomly generated dungeons accessed via tenant/villager quests.

"Floran found great hunting ssspot! Lotsss of Ixoling in a cave! Go there and ssstab them all!"
    "I was minding my own business yesterday when I heard a growl from a nearby chasm. I looked down, and saw a huge colony of Anglure! Go down there and cull the herd before they become a threat, please!"
    "I found a small grotto yesterday full of fresh spring water, and there were a bunch ofpeaceful Adult Poptop! They didn't mind me being there! Could you go there and capture one for me? I was too scared to do it myself."

On an unrealistic note; more quadrupedal wild monsters for generation. Wolves, ungulates, and other more realistic critters. Not everything has to be dinosaurs, turtles, and phallic worms.