1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you want to see in Starbound ???

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Floran God, Jul 19, 2015.

1. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

2. So they should change all the other races to be in line with one race? Nah.
    3. Waste of time. They would have to add in the ability for more than one item name and to e able to switch between them, then go back and add in second names to EVERY item in the game.

2. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

2 No, as they wouldn't be the same. In fact, the idea is to make them different in gameplay terms without causing players to pick them up according to abilities.
    3 That is why I guess that it would, if it were to be made, be of low priority, similarily to mosr easter eggs would.

3. Joaoseinha

Joaoseinha Void-Bound Voyager

Planets being able to have more than one biome, like earth.
    New planet types, like:
    - Planets with races already set on them, instead of just small towns.
    - Home planets, like Earth and such being out there for players to find. Like spore, for example, which had the entire Sol system hidden in the galaxy.
    - Mountain planets, being very hilly with little to no vegetation outside of the valleys between each mountain.
    - Snowy Mountain planets, with taiga in between the mountains.
    - Snow Wasteland planets, sort of like the dead planet but with snow.
    - Ocean planets without any islands.
    - Equivalents of ocean planets with different liquids such as poison and lava. Maybe requiring a specific tech like a vehicle to explore.
    - Swamps.
    - Canyons.
    - Bigger forests. By that I mean forests covering the entire planet surface and plenty of bushes, large and small in the few spaces that aren't occupied by trees. Also, some of the bushes having collision to make the planet harder to move through.
    - A marsh planet, with little in terms of trees and lots of water.
    - Some sort of planet with giant trees.
    - A planet with tiny trees, because why not? Space is weird.
    - Coral reefs as a sub biome in oceans, since at the moment oceans feel quite repetitive.
    - Bringing back tentacle planets with the tentacles as actual mobs.
    - Tidal locked planets, which means they don't rotate on their own axis.
    - Stars having differences in size.

More creatures. Giant creatures that hardly fit inside the planet. I'd say tiny creatures but the devs seem to be on that already.

Also, tiny different races like the agarans. Maybe a race of tiny cat people who make little spaceships. I mean, the possibilities are endless with these races.

Implementing hylotl cities and maybe wild west towns for the novakids. Of course, I realize they're coming at some point, but it's just sad that Avians and such already have things like dungeons, towns, airships, laboratories and these 2 races still don't have a single structure in the game. It also limits RP since there are no real race objects for them.

Being able to craft guns and novakids being able to craft swords and such. Tiy said he didn't want any racial abilities because it would make people choose races based on gameplay differences, so why is this a thing? It makes novakids weaker compared to other races. Plus, it'd be nice to have, for example, an avian blaster without having to kill an avian and pray to RNGesus for good stats.

Black holes. Of course, you shouldn't be able to approach them, but just having them there would be nice. Would make the universe seem more real.

Being able to land your ship on a planet, maybe requiring some type of special block to be able to land there. Either that or smaller ships that can be docked into your main ship and can be landed and customizable. That would be pretty neat.

Better aesthetics on glitch armors. I don't mind the eyes, they have a good lore reason. However, I do mind them stacking as many eyes as they can on top of eachother in each high tier armor. It just makes them look bad. Why always add a pair of double eyes? Why not add a single eye in one place, triple eyes in another. It'd give them more variety and not make it look like you tried to stuff as many eyes in each armor piece as you could.

Planets making more sense. Planet temperature should depend on how close they are to their sun. Moons shouldn't be found orbiting a star.

Binary Systems, for those epic sunsets.

Bruised Spartan likes this.
  4. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

The poison planets are very similar to ocean planets with poison, and there are already magma planets that are the same, but with lava.

5. Lintton

Lintton Guest

More biomes, the sky and upper atmosphere is an practically untapped resource in the map.

A way to play abc music without it cutting out, or switch out the standard music that plays. (The composer is great, i just need different music)

Looking foward to the changes in combat.

Different enemy ai and tactics. Not just from npcs, but the random mobs too.

STCW262 likes this.
  6. UnsubRedun

UnsubRedun Plebeian

Any farming mechanic other than the one they introduced in the latest dev post.

7. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

I'd like to see the ability to replay missions at a higher difficulty level. I love the erchius mission but it's just too easy.
    Also added boss drops to craft special equipment. For example, using dreadwing's wreckage, and/or adding new drops to existing bosses to craft special armor/weapons/vehicles/furniture/etc.

I'll pop back in later when I have more time to type. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1437554113][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I would LOVE this, just make it like current asteroid belts if nothing else (current asteroid belts are boring but good for bases, just one large empty rock).

I would like to see the ability to construct animatronics/robots, give them an instrument, and group them together with wiring and a switch (to activate them all).. and turn them into a band, playing whatever music you assign when you interact with one of them. AFAIK this isn't possible with mods, but it might be?

I liked the old sector system a lot. I liked how advancement was based on sector, so you could go to whatever type of planet you wanted. That was really cool, and it allowed a much greater variety of biomes to be accessible at any point in the game. The new system is in place to get you to go to specific world types, and exploring outside of the very specific planet pattern is basically to find decoratives/vanity items/farmables.

So basically I want a bit more variety and variance of path. Which could also mean giving us the option to have a random starting world again, rather than the same garden. I don't mind the long wait to spawn a universe for me, honestly. I mean, I've played my fair share of Minecraft and Terraria. Waiting doesn't bother me.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
    Biirdy Daysleeper likes this.
  8. Joaoseinha

Neither of them are just oceans, they both have islands.

9. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

Ocean planets also have islands.

10. kionit

kionit Void-Bound Voyager

Maps at least the explore areas. Also like a planets essence core it will be the ultimste treasure to find.

11. Cathriana

Cathriana Phantasmal Quasar

The last race on the ark gate that was apparently removed or "banned" from the alliance.

Biirdy Daysleeper likes this.
  12. Joaoseinha

Which is why one of my suggestions was also "Ocean planets without any islands" .

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GJ_1214_b

I'd like to see starbound devs take ideas from actual discovered planets such as that one.

13. Cthulhu01

Cthulhu01 Void-Bound Voyager

A release date.

14. Zen Master

Zen Master Phantasmal Quasar

1.A More dynamic combat system.

I'd like to see it have a less "turn based" feel to it.

Weapons also need to be tweaked, sword and board is Jesus Christ in Starbound and the only gun that matters is the most

powerful rocket launcher you can find.

2.Make planets more unique.

Even though they are randomly generated, after you've explored a bit you realize that once you've seen a couple of

planets with similar biomes you've seen them all, granted there might be a background palate swap or two.

Randomizing the ratio of hostile and non-hostile creatures on a planet could help.

Right now there is a set formula to creatures, i believe it is something like one small docile creature, 1 small to

medium sized aggressive creature, and one large, tanky agressive creature.

I'd like to see this randomized to help make the planets seem less samey, so that you might find a planet of all docile

herbavores or a planet of all ferocious beasts or possibly something in between; but at least not as predictable and

formulaic as it is now.

3. More significant quests. All the quests so far are just "fetch me a ball of YAAARN" or something, on top of that I

usually have the item off hand or know where to get it.

I would like to see quests tailored more to the exploration side of Starbound like "my people have been displaced do to

some conflict! please explore the planet at these coordinates to see if it is safe and compatible with our needs."

Then you could collect samples of the soil and flora and fauna and see how hostile the indigenous life is and report

back.

Randomized missions that you could teleport into like liberating a town that has been taken over in some sort of

conflict would be nice as well.

OTHER THINGS THAT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE:

* Needs PVP, I want to fight other players and invade their bases!

*The ability to give built structures a modifiable durability score so that you can build a base and have it stay up
    under fire.

also with this it would be fun to have rocket launchers and other exploding weapons have the potential to blow up

blocks, then after an invasion you can really take in the destruction of large scale combat.

* Ship combat and the ability to buy more ships and build an armada.

* hiring npcs, or friends, to command and fill specific roles on said ships, and the ability to set how many ships are

in each fleet.

*The ability to salvage and explore ship wrecks after a large battle.

*The ability to purchase planetary defence systems to protect your resouces from people with ships.

*Jammers to keep unwanted guests from beaming down to your planets. I'd like to see these be a target for orbital

bombardments, once destroyed the land assault can begin!

*scanners to detect the location of landing parties on your planet and portable jammers that can temperarily hide an invaders signature.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
    The MechE likes this.
  15. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

Vanilla randomly generated gun variety needs to go way up.
    Even on nightly, there's still only the few main types of guns, and most of the physical bullets are the same, with a different sprite.
    More ammo variety, tiny arcing sawblades in assault rifles? yes please.
    More gun variety, Arm Cannons that can be charged for a power shot? (besides my mod) yes please.

Implement the unused (or incredibly rare??) random gun types. We have some extremely interesting randomly generated guns that you simply do not find in vanilla right now, atleast on stable: Orb Launchers, Shatterguns, Floran Launchers, and a few more.. It's weird that we don't see them.

STCW262 likes this.
  16. faevian

faevian Space Hobo

I actually haven't played this game in over a year, I stopped playing because it got boring quickly. I LOVED the idea of it, (So much so it is the only game I ever bought to help with development) but there was so little to do at the time that after building a base and visiting several planets I quickly lost interest.

That said I am sure there is more to do now, BUT what I hope to see more of when I pick up playing again is:

More bosses, quests, and the like.
    I want to feel like there is the option for direction if we want it, like many mini bosses and big bosses that you need to try to find on various planets (they may be specific to *types* of planets, but random if they are actually on that specific plant. Making the search for them harder and longer. If that makes sense) that all drop items needed to battle a final boss of the universe. This can all be optional so you can progress in the game as it is now, but if you wanted a direction you can go for it.

That is really what I want, something to work towards, something other than items to look for. I like exploration, but I don't like it to feel pointless.

Maybe this already exists, if it does please let me know, as I probably won't take up playing for a while longer in hopes to come back to a totally different game than it was probably a year and a half ago. Or maybe this is not at all what CF had in mind for this game and maybe it's just not for me.

17. Hakma

Hakma Tentacle Wrangler

More hats and clothes is all I want

18. Bruised Spartan

Bruised Spartan Subatomic Cosmonaut

Well, I would like to see somewhat of a motocross set, or even just a helmet would work for me.
    Scratch that.

I would like to see 2 vanity armor columns, the first column would cover your armor, while the second would cover up an amount of armor depending on the opaque pixels present, I will show you what I am trying to explain by a paint picture.
    My starbound idea.jpg
    As you should see here there is a long
    sleeved shirt under the tier 1 Floran
    chest and legs.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  19. Witness

Witness Giant Laser Beams

More quests that aren't about fetching stuff but going to specific locations to do specific things, with branching paths and different results. Adding new challenges, to balance out the changes that turned the game into far too much of casual, simple fare for taste of quite big part of the community (taking out survival elements, with planets simply requiring specific tier of tech rather than having different hazards that can be managed better or worse with different equipment and playstyle, no decent hunger system or other lasting needs of a character). Making survival and tech progression in the early game stand out - right now the only difference between fresh character with a wooden sword and a basic bow and late-game guy in a fancy armor is stats, looks and techs, not playstyle, difficulties, goals. Generally, adding complexity and overarching goals to the gameplay itself. Balancing the weaponry. Most guns, long-term, are underperformers when compared to melee weapons.

Really, the biggest disappointment right now - and a reason why the game gets so much hate outside of the community - is that it seems to concentrate on little amusing doodads and pretty things to gather and look at, instead of actual immersive adventure full of risk, difficult and tempting choices, making a difference in the galaxy.

As controversial as it may be, I don't care about dozens of new creature parts, items, equipment and furniture if it's the same as the dozens before just with different graphics - I still hope for an adventure in space, not 'find 50 types of a chair' collecting game as with things as they are, after the player has a character geared up and the base/ship done, there's nothing to keep them playing beside merely a few interesting main questline/tier-advancement missions and, in some cases, peer pressure (which shouldn't count nor be counted on anyway).

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
    STCW262 likes this.
  20. Curebores

Curebores Seal Broken

Integration of the wiring system into the skyrail system so that you can create a network with signalling/track switching, like a real railway. Fix the laying of track so that it connects to what you want it to connect to, rather than whatever track in range it just decides to connect to.

Expansion of the wiring system to include include a wireless transmitter/receiver, one of which being an item you hold (having it have more than one channel and a variable range would also be cool).

If you decide to re-include the survival mechanic, a temperature sensor.

Moving platforms, possibly integrated into the skyrail system, allowing you to make things such as an elevator. As part of this, skyrail that goes directly up would be nice.

A submarine.

A planetary shuttle.

The ability to hide your helmet (rather than only being able to replace it with another).

Shipboard sensor console (constructable) that allows you to detect certain things about a planet from orbit, such as other ships in orbit of that planet ((other players) you could also possibly expand this into random space encounters/battles, even boarding actions), if there is any settlements/ruins present on the planet, possible random encounter stuff (crashed ship's distress beacon and things like that), and a rough survey of the crust.

If ship consoles other than navigation are included, make it so that they can be crewed individually so you and your friends can nerd out playing at startrek.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015