1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you want to see in Starbound ???

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Floran God, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Floran God

Floran God Space Hobo

Tell here what do you want to see in future Starbound Upgrades

2. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Whatever they want to make.

Tamorr and Biirdy Daysleeper like this.
  3. Biirdy Daysleeper

Biirdy Daysleeper Weight of the Sky

I usually don't expect anything in particular, most of the additions are cool but there is one thing I definitely want to see : habitables Jovians planets. \o/

Leatherneck, justbeast and Oberic like this.
  4. Nacatcrazy

Nacatcrazy Aquatic Astronaut

More bosses. Like optional bosses with tech or weapons that is given for loot drop.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
    xan713 and The MechE like this.
  5. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Seriously, the big things I want out of the game are stuff they're already doing: more and more block types and decor items (my primary concern), more involved missions, more story to follow, a more lively universe.

Save some minor technical fixes here and there (which I'm certain we'll see once the game is closer to "1.0"), everything else I want is basically minor frippery.

6. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

I'd love more ways for the player to interact with npcs. Something like conversation trees, recruiting npc's to join you, npc's that can pick up and use dropped items, etc.
    I love what they have done with the npc's in nightlies thus far and I have a feeling that we are heading in this general direction already :)

7. balegrim

balegrim Big Damn Hero

A seriously colony system and procedurally generated threats. Like space pirates and tyrannous nations who attack your settlements.

Also, shield generators for player built structures and our ship, like the dungeons have. : p

Like, what if certain planets had procedurally generated species who were evil or ruled with an iron fist and attacked your things? Or attacked villages on other worlds? And likewise there were good societies that fought against them routinely? Just a thought. Maybe a primitive reputation system where you can get in good with one by killing the other, and earn their hatred back and forth for easy RP flexibility.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
    xan713, Heriol, Tamorr and 1 other person like this.
  8. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

» All other races get their own themed shield generators of different sizes. A 320x240 pixel shield generator should be enough to shield the entire planet from nearly any alteration.

» Non-underwater Hylotls, as in let me visit a beachside dojo for once!

» Friendly Penguins (besides the guys in the outpost).

» @Beatrice 's buildings as extra dungeons.

9. The MechE

The MechE Existential Complex

More frequent updates on stable

Hunger/temp back sooner than later

Matter manipulator nerfs and the return of repairable pickaxes. And the removal of pickaxes being able to cut down trees. Makes 0 sense

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  10. Hiztaar

Hiztaar Phantasmal Quasar

A purpose.

I mean, it's a great sandbox game if you really hate any challenging gameplay. There is nothing that threatens you really unless you try to go on planets too hard for you. Nothing comes after you. Playing an avian means the stargazers are never about to try killing you. In fact, you spend your time destroying their temples while visiting planets. And most of the time you find nothing interesting.

This game needs a serious focus about survival/user experience. Why do you play starbound ? To build your little base that will NEVER be useful or threatened and spend hours to find materials just to take a picture. And then what ? Why would it be interesting to build a home ? To protect your colonies ? Why do you need to build stronger walls and hidden bases if nobody will attack it ? Why do you want to fight bosses if nothing make you do it ?

I can compare it to terraria where you can quickly be threatened by armies (not enough in my taste) or being attacked by zombs at night. Where you have yo hurry and stop corruption before it's too late, taking risks in the making ? So Starbound, what is the challenge here ? I really hope this game to be a great challenging game, where you have something to worry about, all the time. When stargazers will land and rush after you, forcing you to hide or change position when detected. When your future 10 colonies will be threatened by massive fleets coming to cut your head off. Where visiting planets will be rewarding. In my thoughts it's what the game needs. A purpose...

Hunter_J, Wrynn and Hooven like this.
  11. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Because it's fun and people enjoy creative expression? Because not every game experience needs to be about Bigger Stat Numbers and Power Gaming and Buckets of Blood?

Bluntly, maybe this game isn't for you, because the gameplay experience you're describing is pretty obviously not the direction CF wants to take it in. They clearly want a more casual exploration and gathering game with some dungeon-crawling liberally spaced throughout, not a Zerg Rush Fight For Your Life Every Second.

Maybe someday someone will mod it up to be more like that.

12. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

There is about 20 Quintillion (20,000,000,000,000,000,000) stars in the vanilla game. Why do characters need their own universe when ~3/4 of the stars will go unvisited for the entirety of human existence? And I'm not joking on that either.

13. Hiztaar

The lore itself gives a real sense of danger. There were wars and characters of some races are supposed to be endangered. I do understand that farming on a little planet and building a pretty cool base that you will screen around the web can be fun. You can do it too on terraria. But, still, after having defeated all bosses and accessed all kind of material. You built your base and played a nice funny world. But it's lifespan will be very short. Exploring planets is great and if no plot was around I would agree your point of view. But there is a plot. CF told about a plot farming/cute playing oriented. But for others, the gameplay is not really up to the challenge.

I agree with lazarus. Maybe having one huge server where everybody can go, would push the fun to an other level. We could have peaceful communities and war waged to control some sectors. And everybody could still play an adventurous guy visiting planets to see the cool randomgen things.

14. lazarus78

Once you've done it once, it takes like what, 20 minutes? Plus, what you are describing is a desire for different starting planets, not different universes. But the starting planet thing is intended behavior for now. Time will tell if it will change back to new ones for new characters.

15. lazarus78

Delete the universe files (Not worlds) and the game will seek out a new starting system for new characters. Problem solved.

16. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

The same-starting-planet this is almost certainly a testing tool primarily for the developers' benefit that will get reversed once the game is closer to "1.0".

And once that's done, the odds of you accidentally hitting your other characters' past paths is virtually zero.

lazarus78 likes this.
  17. Hiztaar

I think, life friendly planets are too common and all star systems are all the same depending on the type of star. That's what gives the game a very repetitive feeling. Nothing new unless they make a more realistic universe generation with many dead (and dangerous) worlds. Oh and we should not be able to have the complete description of each planet from each solar system we zoom in. So we would need to travel or to buy/build things like probes. It's an idea :)

Wrynn likes this.
  18. lazarus78

I think so too. however, most of that info is actually logically identifiable from space, though i would say we should have to visit the planet first before getting that data.

19. lazarus78

I'm not defensive about anything. And I said nothing about swapping files.

20. lazarus78

Again, I said absolutely nothing about swapping any files of any kind. I work in IT, I know what swapping means.

Your suggestions has been parroted many times before. And I am not "eager" to put it down. In fact, I would love a simple check box that says "Start on new world", or equivalent, once things settle down in development.