1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think of the "Combat part 1: Shields" post?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Narutoman, Mar 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Narutoman

Narutoman Void-Bound Voyager

After reading this post i was amazed and i cant wait to see what the next couple of parts are going to be on.

What else do you think will be implemented with the shields?
    And what other content do you think will be released in the category of combat?
    Also, what was your general reaction to the "Combat part 1: Shields" post?
    Also, if you would like to post a pixel art of a shield, i would be glad so see them and also like to try making one.

[​IMG] My attempt at a shield, maybe not one in Starbound, but id like to see one with wings.
    [​IMG] A pixelated one by Space Core, job well done :notworthy:

2. transcendence

transcendence Orbital Explorer

Shields may not only be solid objects, but some kind of energy-shield that takes battery power and absorbs damage from all directions.
    I hope that fluid combat, and possibly combo attacks will be released.
    I might make a shield some time, my sprites usually end up rather horrific however.

3. -Red-

-Red- Big Damn Hero

I'm actually rather excited about the shield post, not because of the shields themselves though as I tend to never use them. But the fact that combat will be heavily expanded on and we'll be able to use two pieces of equipment at once offers many possibilities. Dual wielding swords. Dual wielding guns. Sword and shield. Gun and shield. Gun and sword. Hamburger and milkshake. And even two weaponry! Heck, possibly even dual wielding shields, possibly useless, but the fact that we have the option to do so anyway just reinforces the freedom we'll have. Not to mention that combat will require a new depth of strategy far beyond that of Terraria. Overall, the Shield Post has really upped my expectations of the game and I couldn't be more proud!

4. Narutoman

Yes! i am also hopeing for combo attacks, that would be beast. and dont worry, im not much of a spriter either

5. Narutoman

Very nicely put. Starbound will indeed take indie games to the next level and i cant wait to dual wield shields, if tht will be possible

6. StarMetal25

StarMetal25 Phantasmal Quasar

I probably wouldn't even use shields, just take two guns and shoot everything :p

Narutoman likes this.
  7. Lazer

Lazer Existential Complex

I'm really hoping some of the higher tier shields will have added effects on counter-attacks. Like instead of critical damage, a successful counterattack might restore some battery, or cause the shield to fire a little projectile attack in tandem, add elemental damage, boost knockback etc.

One idea I would love would be a shield for ranged weapon users where a successful counter-attack would dramatically boost your mobility for 1 or 2 seconds, so you could block the attack of a monster that's getting up in your face, then leap away, blasting him as you go.

8. Mikey

Mikey Subatomic Cosmonaut

I hope they make shields for a medic role so if you block an attack you heal everyone. idk

9. Lazer

Lazer Existential Complex

That would pretty much make attacks do negative damage though. I guess it could work if pulling off the block was difficult enough or came with some kind of cost. It'd probably be easier to have it recharge whatever healy-device a medic would be carrying, or accelerate cooldowns or however it would work.

10. Kewlan

Kewlan Star Wrangler

My reaction. :D

I have never seen such excellent combat system on a 2D sandbox game!
    It makes me excited to try it!

11. Oath

Oath Subatomic Cosmonaut

That's a possibility but it would probably have to heal for such a low amount so that it's not op or consume a lot of battery power. Might be interesting to see a character built around the aspect of having low health and needing shield healing to survive but I can see how that would be extremely lame. Especially if you're being swarmed from several angles.

I wonder, will we be able to attack with shields at all? Could I say have a boomerang shield that I throw for a small amount of range damage but could cost battery power? I don't know how all the systems work so I may be crazy but there seem to be a lot of options.

12. Mikey

Mikey Subatomic Cosmonaut

Maybe shields are a way to recharge your battery's by blocking attacks you absorb the energy from the attack, fill your battery's, and draining the monsters health.

13. Madmarlon

Madmarlon Pangalactic Porcupine

I love those shields, and also the fact that they are really putting some effort into combat! It was always a bit boring in MC/Terraria!

14. LemonRobot

LemonRobot Phantasmal Quasar

Hylian Shield all the way. That'd be a great easter egg shield.

Oath and Mikey like this.
  15. Jorden619

Jorden619 Big Damn Hero

Shields will be awsome, I'll probably won't use one, but if they add crouching....

16. XaeL

XaeL Void-Bound Voyager

Shields are a great first step to improving the complexity of combat but many games make them overpowered. I hope there are unblockable attacks in pve and pvp. Combining damage reduction with autocrit sounds really strong already. Maybe you could balance this by giving players weapons that autocrit against a blocking enemy. Or have a boomerang weapon that can be thrown over the head of an enemy and then hits them in the back on return so they would have to block in the backwards direction.

17. Ashen

Ashen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I really like the tidbit of information we got from combat part 1. Especially the fact that most monsters will have an attack animation. That must have been tough to implement with procedurally generated creatures. I am currently looking forward to combat part 2. I can only imagine how much more of my mind I can expect to find all over my lap.

18. Breather

Breather Oxygen Tank

You wanna know what I think of the shields? Really? Ya wanna know? Hmm, well I'll tell you. You sure? Ok, I'm gonna tell you. Your absolutely sure. Ok. This.

amazing. :notworthy:

*click click* *moves mouse* *click click*

19. Narutoman

shield.png I have found the time to make a shield, horrible job on the wings but i think storing all ur stuff on the inside is pretty sweet. You could also gain the ability of flight with this shield.

20. 777eza

777eza Existential Complex

At first I skim through it and thought wait turn base? then I said oh... wow way better then terraria

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.