1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What are your opinions on the Protectorate?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by soldierfast90, Apr 24, 2017.

?

Would you instate a Protectorate-based Government?

1. Yes - Galactic peace is a great idea.

2. No - I don't want the Protectorate controlling Earth.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

Cmon guys, cities, are cities, the planets are also not realscale 30.000km long, so a city a s you see it and come across scaled towards plabteary size is rather "big"

What i miss a lot more is some proper technology based environment. So avians have a psace ships yet they seem not to have any tech based cities unless you think these cities in a early 1960's tech style is really what thy live in.

What I miss are proper not ruined city planets. We only have those rotten ones. Then the SB universe would make a bit more sense.

2. Gon009

Gon009 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hmm, quite funny is the fact that Protectorate should know well about "The Ruin" because of Esther's researches. After some time she told Nox about it and Nox went away to "release" The Ruin or whatever(even it was basically impossible for her). So... why Protectorate didn't know about this? Even for Nox it should take quite big amount of time to release "The Ruin". It's like Esther kept silent and waited for the worst. Japan didn't know about future consequences of the bombing, Esther knew well about what can happen and she also knew that most mentally defective person in the universe also knew about it.

Also about the space travel, from "A History of Space Travel" codex it seems like discovery of warp travel was really important for humans.
    "Humanity's Redemption" codex says that Earth had no valuable resources anymore and people traveled to other worlds also to get resources and meet other species.
    I would say that there are many contradictions there and entire "Terrene Protectorate" story was just rushed and in fact, it doesn't make any sense.

3. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

If anyone told you that according to some ancient info, there once was a god-like being that created and fostered all life, but that an evil tentacled horror tried to kill all life, and that the god-like being stopped the tentacled horror by sealing it in a gate, would you take that at face value? If anything, it would be taken as a mythological tale.
    As for the comparison to Hiroshima, you lost the point: Back then, a single B-29 would likely be merely a recon aircraft, so it wouldn't be a big threat by itself. A better example would be how, in the Battle of the Bulge, German troops were practically unable to get any shelter because Allied artillery used proximity fuses: It was a weapon that they didn't have, and that they didn't know about (Or, more accurately, that they hadn't used in artillery), so they didn't know how to counter it. In fact, throughtout history, there's lots of examples of armies getting beaten up because their enemies had a weapon that was completely new, so they didn't know how to deal with it.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  4. FireFangs

FireFangs Cosmic Narwhal

I tend to view the protectorate as similar to the Federation from Star Trek. They are explorers first and foremost, seeking new planets to potentially colonize and new races to establish contact with. It would explain why all six main races can be part of it as they are allied. And as with Star Trek, they are bound to have weapons and be trained to use them. Not to attack and conquer but to defend themselves and others they encounter. It would be foolish to go on an unknown world unarmed. It's not even about the natives potentially being violent as much as the planet's fauna and flora being a danger.

In Starbound, the protectorate may not be the government of Earth as much as an outside organisation. So you'd have Earth's government and the Protectorate as separate entities that interact. We don't really have enough information about Earth to be certain.

On the subject of the USCM, considering the majority of them are hostile as far as I can tell (you can't enter a bunker without being shot at, and the prisons are abandoned), I'd say they could be a splinter human group that is apart from Earth or the protectorate, not even a branch of them. Rebels of a sort that disagreed with the idea of galactic peace. And at this point, they aren't one of the galactic power.

STCW262 likes this.
  5. Tsukistar

Tsukistar Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't really like it from a lore/storyline standpoint, I kinda feel as though it had no real purpose in the game, beyond giving them a reason to not give the individual races their own stories, y'know? At least from what I've seen of the story, you could replace the Protectorate backstory with anything else, and it'd technically still work.

EDIT: There's also the whole 'on 1 planet' deal and 'despite supposedly being heroic folk, being barely mentioned' and 'very few actually survived' - although everyone else sorta explained that pretty well.

(Honestly, the storyline as a whole I kind of dislike - although I'd be going off topic if I went on about it. Like - of all the ships that could be on the landing pad as you escaped, it's one that matched your race (and raises lots of questions if it's a floran ship, which tends to be made of stolen technology macgyver'd together ))

6. Gon009

Gon009 Subatomic Cosmonaut

In the Esther's Journal you can see that she saw "The Ruin" as a real threat so she had to have some serious evidence for it. If it was just merely a mythological tale then why would she be so terrified of her discovery? Also, she had to have a reason for starting her research and also she was a Grand Protector in that time.

7. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

maybe, maybe not, surely some political leaders see satan as a real threat. But that doesn't necessary reflect to all protectorate members and so the leadership or executives of it may not take that threat esther tells of for true. maybe they just started to saw a confused granny in esther.

STCW262 likes this.
  8. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

[​IMG]
    Add a few changes, and you get more or less how it was likely received.

Lintton and Strangemind like this.
  9. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

No neutral option? :(
    I don't support them but i don't oppose them either.

10. Pinkpony4

Pinkpony4 Guest

I’ll throw my two cents in a dead post. I saw the Protecteret as being just that; protectors. It seems from the player characters item descriptions when ya use the magnifying glass, that pods and the breakable casuals and the chests are dropped randomly on planets to help strangers or new recruits that just so happen have a damaged ship.
    Think of it like a cross between a charity and a sort of army thing. We’re told in the little guidelines book for new recruits to wear their uniforms constantly so they’re easily recognised, similar to how soldiers and police officers wear their uniforms when they’re in their field or area of work so people can go to them for help. The charity bit comes in with the donating and random dropping of chests and capsules.
    Personally, I’ve always liked the Protecteret, even if it seemed half assed. That could play a hand in the fact that I dropped into Starbound late, so I have a relatively new idea of it.

Although thinking of the population on other planets, Earth would be way over the 10 billions, wouldn’t it? (I’m talking as people living there collectively, not just humans but other races as well.)
    As an Australian, I can’t help but think in such a huge population not only would crime be rampant in the area coved by fog at the bottom of the cities, but prisons would be filled to the brim. Would we have a repeat of Australia where criminals are just dropped off on some random planet and told to survive that way? It’s shown they can live when there’s not many in terms of people, but I’m sure Earth as a whole wouldn’t leave them in the dust and would be checking every now and then to make sure they were actually alive.

But maybe, The Ruin destroyed other planets without our knowledge? Although if that were to happen, I’d expect locals to be commenting on said planets exploding out of exsistence.

11. Catherine Franz

Catherine Franz Spaceman Spiff

Would be funny if The Ruin was literally deep uhh underground on Earth..that's why no one knows how it happened = w=

12. Kordharin

Kordharin Big Damn Hero

In my eyes, I've always seen the Terrene Protectorate as a bunch of space-hippies. (No offense intended, but hippies have always left a bitter taste in my mouth.)

I would want to ditch them as soon as possible. "So long, and thanks for the Matter Manipulator!" and all that. The Terrene Protectorate is a bit too far in the "Let's all get along" point of view for me. Beautiful architecture, but not my thing.

Now if you can excuse me, I have a universe to terrorize.

13. Catherine Franz

But eyy they taught you all about the crafting stations / surviving different places and stuff I think...

14. Kordharin

Kordharin Big Damn Hero

I think you could learn all that from going to space school. The Protectorate feels more like a place of ideals.

15. Catherine Franz

But that's the school we are at...Protectorate School > w>

16. Kordharin

Kordharin Big Damn Hero

Okay… Time for me to head out, form the Dark Nova, and start terrorizing the galaxy, then!

17. Catherine Franz

Not everything can be solved alone...time to join the Occasus > w>

18. Kordharin

Kordharin Big Damn Hero

Unity was overrated anyway. X3

19. Catherine Franz

'twas only there to study how to make money money money via Colony building and uhh building boxes I call a house...

20. Kordharin

Kordharin Big Damn Hero

Speaking of Colony Deeds… I still haven't gotten those achievements. Gonna work on that before bringing ruin to the universe.