1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What are your favourite Sci-fi melee weapons?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tiy, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Tiy

Tiy Lead Developer Chucklefish

We're adding tons of melee weapon parts to the game at the moment. Show us what you like :)

2. Noc

Noc Guest

Add-ons:

Flamezer - Sets aflame to most melee weapons, possibly setting fire to enemies.
    Eleczer - Creates current of electricity throughout most weapons, like Flamezer.

Weapons:

Brass Knuckles: allows player to punch
    Electric Brass Knuckles: Shocks enemy on punch
    Laser glove: shoots laser out of hand, stunning enemy. Strength depends on distance from glove.
    Black Titanium claws: Normal claw weopon
    Electric claws: Claws with electricity coursing through them
    Light Saber: 'Nuff said
    Light Saber Knife: ^
    Force Helmet: Pushes all nearby enemies away from you, giving you a chance to strike.
    Boomerang: My favorite weapon from Terraria.
    Ivy rope: attaches to enemy when thrown, keeping them close to you.

3. Luci

Luci Subatomic Cosmonaut

Darth Maul's saber.

Darth Maul 01.png

4. Zetro

Zetro Subatomic Cosmonaut

Power Glove of course! It's so bad!

But in all seriousness Pneumatic Gloves
    [​IMG]

5. Nothing beats a Lightsaber. Nothing. :yoda:

6. Admiral CherryTurnover

Admiral CherryTurnover Cosmic Narwhal

glowing chemical blades and hilts that can aid in the dark. Question is... how to turn em off on stealth missions :laugh:

edit: ooh! gunblades from Final Fantasy 8!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. Stargazer

Stargazer Existential Complex

I liked the lightning striker in Spore.
    There are also zealot blades which are pretty much the same thing.

Commander_Dronox_Pic.png

onerb2, DeadlyLuvdisc, Mykin and 8 others like this.
  8. Epicface

Epicface Heliosphere

HAMMERS OF ENERGEE!!!!
    [​IMG]

9. olisr

olisr Scruffy Nerf-Herder

There doesn't seem to be a wide variety of sci-fi melee weapons. I guess the only thing that comes to mind is some kind of lightsaber, or a weapon with multiple forms. Maybe some kind of electric/plasma whip. Will probs edit this post with more ideas later.

10. Sirnak

Sirnak Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I have no idea how it's called in English, but I'd suggest the "défonseurs de poignet" (roughly translated "wrist smashers") of Megaman Zero/Megaman ZX. It's a weapon both used as a cannon and as a mean to punch with furious strength (Starbound could maybe use an inspired weapon design but made only to punch furiously much like brass knuckles instead?). The punching fonction works like a "poke" of some sort, much like a stabbing animation if I remember correctly. Here are the 2 examples we can find in the Megaman series:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Edit: can't find a damn exemple of the "wrist smasher" punching something, but at least I found this. Doesn't help you guys much, but it's cool to watch to for a couple of seconds:
    [​IMG]

11. GalacticRooster

GalacticRooster Big Damn Hero

Lazer boomerang maybe? Or some kind of fire-based weapon. Although, boomerangs might not be classified as melee.

12. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I know there's guns and sheilds here too, but I can't edit the pic right now.

So that's:
    Shortswords, longswords, hammers, flails, spears, axe-polearms, axes, halberds, katanas, daggers, hatchets, and chains, all in the futuristic sense.
    I also would like grappling items that thow your foes around, claw-like hand attachments, and wooden planks with nails in them.

xLyraHeartstringsx, Mykin and Lucario like this.
  13. Toady

Toady Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ummmm i dont agree with that at all, I would like to choose the lightning claws from warhammer 40:K

Space-Marine-Veteran-with-Lightning-Claws-16.00.jpg

14. Karamunin

Karamunin Big Damn Hero

I say we bring in some WH40K chainswords into the game! who's with me? :sparta:
    [​IMG]

krylo, Yzzey, Squiddy and 77 others like this.
  15. Aerliss

Aerliss Big Damn Hero

Two handed weapon, melee staff + alt fire shooty? I'm thinking this:
    [​IMG]

16. Karamunin

Karamunin Big Damn Hero

Pfft, oh well at least you didn't post the same weapon from the WH40K universe, hahah.

Toady likes this.
  17. Sokina

Sokina Heart of Gold

Thruster Hammers: Looks like a normal hammer, but has a small thruster that will increase force when swung.
    Typical Energy-sword thingies.
    Vortex Blades: Weapons that can tear the fabric of time and space itself: Capable of bypassing defenses, and dealing internal injuries without damaging the exterior.
    Retractable Claws: NOT like a cat. You can basically slash with them, or shoot out a claw attached to an energy tether, allowing you to pull yourself to objects,. and pull objects to you.
    Gravity Maces: Each attack can draw an enemy closer to you

Those are just some examples, so looking in a broad light.

Vortex weapons: Chance of bypassing armor
    Thruster Weapons: Increases force (Attack speed? Knockback)
    Retractable weapons: Capable of small ranged damage, can bring smaller enemies back to you
    Gravity weapons: Can draw enemies near
    Anti-gravity weapons: Can push enemies away
    Nova weapons: Chance of emitting a burst of energy for additional damage
    Phase weapons: Chance of burning

Etc, etc, so on, and so forth.

Personally, my favorite sci-fi weapon would have to be something like a Sonic Hammer. You strike the ground with it and emit sound waves that are capable of incapacitating an enemy. Also it's good for clubbing them.

18. Sokina's post made me think of a Banhammer. We definitely need. A banhammer.

19. Aeynia

Aeynia Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Psyblades, such as those used by the Protoss from Starcraft.
    wip_11.jpg

Avantir, Villhelm, onerb2 and 14 others like this.
  20. mrmcmo

mrmcmo Pangalactic Porcupine

A boomerang laser gun. probably OP :p If you shoot the gun, it shoots a boomerang that launches lazers in all directions. to make it less op, you can use it only 10 times every two minutes.