What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CanineFelicity, Apr 27, 2017.

1. CanineFelicity

CanineFelicity Intergalactic Tourist

I can't seem to put the hook on my fishing rod, or bait, either. How do I do it? Thanks!

• Jack Of Shades

Jack Of Shades Pangalactic Porcupine

As you upgrade your rods you will notice that slots open for bait and tackle. Lower level rods only have on slot or none, if I recall right. If you mean button-wise. Depends on the platform. On Ps4 it's square. Not sure about PC or Xbox.

• paintingtheroses

paintingtheroses Void-Bound Voyager

Make sure you're using the right fishing rod (the iridium rod is the only one that will let you use tackle, and a few of them will let you use bait, but the bamboo rod won't let you use either). In the inventory, click the bait/tackle, then right-click the fishing rod. On Xbox controller, use A to select the bait/tackle, then move over to the fishing rod and use X.

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

There are three fishing rods.

The bamboo rod, which is the first you get, can't use bait or tackle.

The fiberglass rod (which you'll get a note about when you hit fishing skill 2) can use bait.

The iridium rod (which you'll get a note about when you hits fishing skill 6) can use both tackle and bait.

To put tackle or bait on a rod, right click either, and left click the rod. Hope that helps.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
          • CanineFelicity

CanineFelicity Intergalactic Tourist

Got it. Thanks. I swear I tried that before and it didn't do anything . . .

• Reneeisxena

Reneeisxena Big Damn Hero

Ok, but I have the game on a PS4 so any ideas on how to use tackle? It seems I've tried every combination of buttons to equip it but nothing works.

• Verne

Verne Astral Cartographer

If the PS4 controller is set up anything like a controller on PC, the button on the left (Square? Circle? It's been years since I used a PlayStation controller, sorry) would be used to attach it to the rod. Pick it up, then move the cursor to the slot your iridium rod is in, and hit that button, and it should work. It'll be the same as attaching bait, provided you're using the correct rod.

No guarantees, though; that's just how it works on PC with a gamepad and I can't imagine it being too different on PS4...

Also this thread is kind of old. x:

• Jack Of Shades

Pick up the tackle and press square on the rod. If a slot is open on the rod, you will equip it.

Dougyhowzer, Reneeisxena and nevyn21 like this.
                  • Reneeisxena

I will try that. I will say even though I really love this game, the fishing aspect leaves a lot to be desired. I was absolutely ecstatic when I got the last fish for the aquarium in the community center since that was the final star. I am very glad I didn't wimp out and pay the 5000 gold to Joja. I loved the ending to the Morris story line. And now the community center looks awesome. Plus it opened up the path to the witch's hut where I could make Harvey forget our marriage and turn the kids into doves. LOL

Dougyhowzer likes this.
                    • Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

I have to admit that, as nice and heart-warming as the 'reasonable' end to the Community Center/Joja line is, there's something very satisfying about the 'punch him in the face' option. :avalilol:

• Dougyhowzer

Dougyhowzer Space Spelunker

The Fishing was the toughest one for me to master initially , but once you get the hang of the controls , and a better rod , it gets much easier.
                        I saved up big time and bought the iridium rod as soon as I could afford it . Being able to use both bait and tackle makes a big difference.
                        Linius also has a bait recipe but I hardly used it. Just so used to buying bait from Willy I guess.

• Charity322

Charity322 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't think I've ever bought bait from Willy. I always have an overabundance of bug meat after visiting the mines.

• Reneeisxena

The square button worked like a dream. I could swear I tried that once but now it works wonderfully, thanks. I was amazed that once I got the iridium rod the fishing became easier, not EASY but I could at least catch some decent fish. I even beat Willy at the ice fishing contest!!! Shocking!! Now I just need to beat Abigail at the egg hunt and I will have all the competitions in the bag. I think she cheats, she must hide eggs in her blue hair. LOL

Dougyhowzer likes this.
                            • Dougyhowzer

Dougyhowzer Space Spelunker

Glad to hear about the iridium Rod. Regarding Abigail and the Egg Hunt , That never occurred to me hehe.

• nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

Yeah the iridium rod makes a big difference. If you really want to make fishing easy mode combine a trap bobber with bait and then eat some Trout Soup or Dish O the Sea.

• Jack Of Shades

Buffs with tackle and bait plus the iridium rod is as easy as it gets. You are right. Any serious angler on stardew should do this when catching fish.

• chatwincakes

chatwincakes Starship Captain

The 'punch him in the face' option was fantastic. Especially now when I go into Pierre's to buy some things and he mentions he used to be a good boxer. Uhh...yes I know buddy. I witnessed the magic! Now get me some more dang grass starter! :poke:

Reneeisxena likes this.