1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What about wipes in the future...

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by naprettor, Aug 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. naprettor

naprettor Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hello guys.
    I'm going to create a system of colonies on many planets. It takes a lot of my time and resources. I am concerned, are not expected any more wipes the universe in the future? Or the universe and my colony is now forever remain unchanged after the release?

Another question. Is there a way to recover their colony from previous updates. If you already play in the release version of the universe?

thanks

2. Dander.1981

Dander.1981 Subatomic Cosmonaut

At the 1.0 release, they promised to not do any more wipes. BUT! With the new villages and stuff that is in the Unstable(Nightly), you'll probably end up wanting to reset your planets/world when that content is patched into the vanilla.

naprettor likes this.
  3. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Just to clarify; Unstable and Nightly are separate builds, though Nightly is accessed through Unstable.

On the Stable build, I imagine things would be fairly safe. The only exception would be a major update that causes significant changes to the game, and would require a new character to fully encounter it all. But we don't have indication of any updates of that magnitude coming up.

naprettor and FearnWAZZA like this.
  4. naprettor

naprettor Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thanks for the answer.
    Lose the character is not as critical, sometimes useful to start a new story.
    But to lose all that for so long and persistently built it would be catastrophic. It's a waste of time. I hope the developers will provide for an opportunity to save the worlds, even in the case of critical updates.
    Either leave to return to the old universe.

I would have flew on one of my old giraffe planets. But, unfortunately, replace .world files in a storage folder does not help (((

5. Akre

Akre Pangalactic Porcupine

Devs promised there will be no further wipes after the game has reached 1.0, so I hope they'll keep their word.

6. MrVauxs

MrVauxs Giant Laser Beams

they will unless they implement something big like 2.0 version of some sort

7. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Version 2.0 wouldn't mean a wipe. All wipes in the past weren't content related they happened because of massive changes in mechanics, generation and progression. Updates that now will be released are fixes and content updates. So a wipe is up to the player (or if a server then the server owner) when new content is released.

~ Iris ~

8. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

You don't need to wipe your planet data to see the new villages. You just need to visit planets you haven't visited before. That's the beauty of procedural generation.

The only planets that actually exist in your game right now are the ones you've visited. When CF do things like add villages or sub-biomes or dungeons are whatever via updates, those changes are added to the mix of planets not yet made (which happens when you visit them)... and that's a mix of several quintillion planets.

You'll be fine.

Iris Blanche likes this.
  9. Xanirus

Xanirus Ketchup Robot

Curious, what counts as generated? Or more specifically, at what point does the game "finalize" the generation of the planet?

I.e. There's the "processing" when you enter coordinates, entering the star, and them the actual physical landing/loading of the planet.

10. Iris Blanche

Processing in the nav means that the current universe chunk is getting generated (starsystem and planet distribution). The content of the planets themself aren't determined by this. The only thing planets are affected from is their main biome, weather, size, threat level, ore distribution and daylength.
    When first entering a planet it saves all information about it's generation parameters, biome distribution, dungeon distribution and monster distribution as well as which objects can spawn there. According to this saved information the planet get's generated when exploring it. That's why new content only affect new planets :nuruhappy: So every non-visited (better said non-generated) planet will have new stuff in it because the new content parameters will be stored.

~ Iris ~

11. Xanirus

Xanirus Ketchup Robot

And apparently music is stored somehow too, annoyingly, as I have learned from others in my music issues threads. (Having music addition mod issues, either they're not working or I'm just impatient waiting for the new songs to kick in.) Hence why I asked about generation.

12. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

As far as I know theres gonna be no more wipes..

13. Preday

Preday Starship Captain

I have worried about this!

So what you're saying is that there is no risk of, say, a Novakid Settlement replacing the colony or farm that I built on a planet of mine, once those get added to the game. The new content that is added to the game will only appear on planets that haven't been visited yet.

Right?

14. Iris Blanche

This is correct. Every visited planet (even a short beam down and then beam up) will have it's generation information stored in the worldfile. It is impossible that a new world generation config will apply after. :)

~ Iris ~

Preday likes this.
  15. MrVauxs

MrVauxs Giant Laser Beams

unless you delete the worldfile