Modding Discussion Weird projectile question

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Iaeyan Elyuex, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

You know those cool attacks the procedurally generated monsters used to have? Are those attacks still buried in the code somewhere? Furthermore, how easy would it be to code a weapon that uses the attacks, and can damage enemies? What coding level are we talking here? I just mastered adding recipes and I want to move up. I have a "weird science" weapon mod planned, and it needs this kind of stuff to work.

Also, I saw the files for the swooshes for the edged weapons and such. Do the swooshes themselves deal the damage, or is there an invisible "damage field" involved? Can the spears' swooshes be directed forward as projectiles? How do I vomit blood on Asra's ugly face? Please tell me. It's 0520 where I am and I'm losing my marbles.

2. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

You can do anything you want... probably you need to learn LUA.

Without looking at the old monster abilities, I'd say it probably wouldn't work directly. They wouldn't likely have the necessary attributes defined(you have to add them), and others wouldn't be utilized by weapons. It is all JSON. And you can see JSON as a form... probably you just have the wrong form. But the abilities might have utilized some LUA too.

But if you wanted to try, nothing stops you from a little copy/paste experimentation. Compare the structure of the abilities you're talking about with weapon abilities. Probably you're still going to need to learn some LUA and that does unlock the ability to do most anything you want.