1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Weekly Community Contest!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by TehLonelyDonut, May 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TehLonelyDonut

TehLonelyDonut Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Now before you start thinking hate thoughts, just listen for a minute. Please.

Now most of us here know about the famous Monster Monster Contest, in which people made up a monster, and presented it. That was a big, well-planned contest, but......

Why can't the community have a small weekly contest?

Now, this wouldn't be run by the Devs, but by the community. I would write the Thread, and take in any good advice from other members. but the Devs wouldn't manage it. After a few months of contests, I'll (hopefully) put all the winners submissions into a megathread.

I thought this out, and there are complications that could arise. But overall, I think that most of the participants will benefit. The Dev Contests will be few and far between, so why not do it more often?

Potential Benefits:
    1. New ideas will could spawn in the minds of the members
    2. New members will have a chance to show off their ideas
    3. The Devs could catch wind of this and...
    4. Some of the better ideas could find their way into the game (Hopefully. Possibly too hopefully, but you never know. )

For every "Why not?" there is a "why?" Examples:

1. Why can't members write and post their own threads?

Answer: Some members are afraid of posting something dumb. Like how to bake a mud pie. But on these kinds of community driven contests, there are no wrong answers. Except for mud pie baking.

Answer 2: They might have potential for writing, but not have a good creative mind. They might be able to write the best dang post on Space Adventures, but not have any idea how to start.

2. Are you going to change our ideas? make them "your own?"

Answer: I cannot stand plagrism, so no, I will only post your ideas. Your own original unique ideas. The only edits might be to summarize it. At the very most.

3. What about other people stealing our ideas?

Answer: Again, about the plagrism. I will monitor the postings very closely, and if I see a repost by a different person, I will delete the reponse. And they could be reported if they become repeat offenders.

There are thousands of possible Contest ideas, from a new kind of battle system, to a magical food.

How it would work:
    Let's say the contest idea was a new kind of special food.
    So you would go and think of an idea, and respond to the questions I asked. Like what you'd call it, what it would do, etc.
    I will chose 3 of the best, and create a poll in that Thread (Each contest will have it's own thread) that asks you to vote for your favorite.
    The next week, I'll create a new Thread for a new contest and show the winner at the beginning.
    The contests will be updated every Friday.

So what do you think? Would you like to see a Community-run contest? If you do, give this a like, and a response so we can keep this at the top of the General Disscussion Page. And give me some ideas for next Friday's Contest. It's community driven people!

(And I'm drawing up a blank here.)

P.S. Let me know if I forgot anything.

2. KuraiRyuu

KuraiRyuu Space Kumquat

I think community contests would be fun, but some people might not really care about it if they don't get much out of it other than maybe more people knowing about their idea.

3. Breather

Breather Oxygen Tank

Somebody hasn't seen the off-topic section. I mean, there are like 8 community contests going on in that section. Buuuuuuuuuuuuut anyway! I LOVE contests! It's a great way for the community to get involved! [​IMG]

4. TehLonelyDonut

TehLonelyDonut Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I thought this post belonged in the General Discussion. So there.

5. Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

Um... There are alot of user run contest in the off topic section.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.