Modding Discussion watering opptions

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Apex-prey, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Apex-prey

Apex-prey Astral Cartographer

so im not a modder my self, but i thought of something if any one wants to give it a go.
    and the thoughtis this. why only water wile growing crops some crops like the automato and the other glitch sounding crops should be oiled not watered i also came across pussplants i think they were called they could use poison

and a second thought is there a way to mod enrichis to be flameable some how so you could make a lake of fire lol i dont know why but i just want to use it to burn things down

any other thoughts on these please add if any one thinks they could do one or both that would be sweet

2. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

I was pondering this, and I have to say it seems possible given what I know about how farming operates. Only possible issue is that farmables (crops) only check if a material modifier counts as "tilled" so it will still be placeable in modded "tilled" soil even if it is the wrong material modifier and will not affected by a given liquid/projectile.

3. Apex-prey

wait what you lost me after the third sentance lol im sorry what you said went over my head i just started reading the ho to mod tutorial ive not got far im kinda computer stupid
    but would like to at least try to give it a go because to me at least watering glitch crops with oil is how robots would do it and why not any advice would be appeciated

4. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Wow, I must have really confused you since I only used two sentences!

What I mean to say is that is that... well, actually, now that I think about it, you cannot specify what crops take what "tilled" mat mod... hmm...

5. Spacedino

Spacedino Ketchup Robot

I was thinking about that as well, but i assume it is hardcoded, no? In that case crops can't be modded to grow on anything but watered tilled ground.
    UNLESS you create a bunch of objects that you have complete control over via script. Script checks for oil tilled soil, script changes animation frames to make them grow.
    They wouldn't be farmables in Starbounds logic, but that wouldn't matter if you could get them to act like crops in game. Of course in that case, incompatabillity with other mods ensues.
    Oh unless the scripted object, once its fully grown, would be replaced by an actual farmable just representing the final growth stage.
    Sorry for writing so much, I'm just getting ideas :p

I'll try to explain.
    Right now modders can't do everything. We have limits in our power to change the game as decided by the devs.
    Part of the reason is of course that the game is still in development.
    Modding will propably become more powerful in what it can achieve in the future.
    One restriction right now is that there is only one "kind" of crop in the game.
    Even crops added through mods will grow on watered soil no matter what, because the devs have decided it.
    But as modders study the logic by which the game works, we may be able to creatively work within our limitations,
    which results in the alternative approach i suggested above.

6. Apex-prey

wow that made total sense thank you for that explaination that is some thing to ponder. glad i got some peeps thinking it over any way do not say sorry for wrighting a bunch
    this is exactly the descution i wanted to start its a brain storming session

7. Spacedino

Spacedino Ketchup Robot

I'm glad my explanation helped :up: