1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Water flow not taking in account pockets of air

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Shizuma, Dec 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shizuma

Shizuma Space Hobo

When mining underwater every connected body of water seems to try to balance itselve by shifting until all water surfaces are level. When mining an airpocket the water desides to ignore any air and fills up the newly created space if it is below the highest surface.

Please let me know if this was unclear. English isn't my first language;)

regards

2. _PC

_PC Void-Bound Voyager

Shizuma, I believe that is the water pressure, because that sort of a thing would happen in real life, if you tried to make an air pocket.

3. Shizuma

Shizuma Space Hobo

Now that you mention it it does make sense .. guess i've just been terrariarized ;) .. seems like i have to find a new way for underwater mining

4. Skwee

Skwee Master Chief

While it does make sense for the water level to equalize, It doesnt really make sense for it to fill up an air pocket, because where would that air go to? If you put a bowl or cup upside down under water, the air doesnt just get pushed out or disappear, it stays there. Of course if the air pocket isnt a pocket, but goes all the way up to the surface or some such thing, then the water should equalize.

5. Shizuma

Shizuma Space Hobo

You are making the same mistake as me Skwee. _PC is right. Mining something out should effect the water level since you'r only taking material out but your not putting air in. So the correct question would be where should the air come from ;) in reality to create an air pocket air actually has to be pumped into that space to push the water out. Just removing material creates a vacuum which is instantly filled with water.

6. clsorens

clsorens Aquatic Astronaut

If you have a lot of water and you want out of it dig a hole to the side, go into it and build a wall there to create a sort of airlock. then just dig out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.