Modding Help WANTED: MOD PARTNER

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Jaxine, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Jaxine

Jaxine Pangalactic Porcupine

Alright, I've made me some mods here and there. I got more ideas. But, I have no drive. I'm like "Oh, lightsabers! Armor! Badass guns!" then I'm like "Ugh, effort."

I need someone to bounce ideas off of on a regular basis, to help me test mods, help posting on here, Nexus and Steam, witch means ziping mods for me, uploading, adding to descriptions, uploading and imputing images, and writing a change-log, and most importantly, help amp me up so I'll have the drive to make mods!

So basically, we discuss and brainstorm mods, I make codes and sprites (this person can help if t know how, not a requirement), I test them, This person re-tests them, then uploads them, handling most of the online end.

This person will be a fellow Modding Partner for my modpack of weapons n stuff, not just a contributor. So it'll be Jax & (name)'s Armory from that point on. Or (name) & Jax's Armory, either or. So their mod ideas they make up will still be theirs, and not just given to me.

But I need someone who I can chat with, who has a good imagination for ideas, who isn't afraid to throw out ideas and criticism, who doesn't get mad when we can't agree, and has an email so we can send files.

Optional, but not required are things like having spriting/ pixel art skill, an image editor along with the know how to use it (like
    GNU Image Manipulation Program, MSpaint), Starbound JSON coding experiance, LUA coding experiance, Gameplay recording knowledge, GIF making knowledge, and Chucklefish/ Nexus/ Steam mod posting knowledge.

Most optional stuff like making sprites and coding I actually enjoy. I hate having to pack it all up and post it online, write a change-log, edit the description, and do so cross 3 sites.

PM or post below if your up for it. Might be perfect for someone who wants to get into modding (I'll teach you spriting and JSON) or someone who needs the same drive as me.

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

I'm always around and willing to help. If you want testing or whatever. Steam, Skype, here. Etc.

3. Mioure

Mioure Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This community is probably the best I've seen.
    'Ask anything and you shall receive' type of helpful feedback.
    Honestly speaking though, looking around the community it seems like most of us use Starbound as a side-project and never often go full force into mod making as our main hobby. Unless you have a degree in coding where modding Starbound could be a show of work in a college setting, its more of a casual enjoyment.
    There are plenty of Ideas still left out there, but the hard part isn't the ideas, It's making sure no ones already done it.

Anyone who often asks me what to start Modding with, My response is always a Cross-Over.
    Pick your favorite game, Odd are no one has already done it, Make sure no ones done it, and then Have Fun.
    This can work for almost every MMO, FPS, or RPG, and sometimes all you really need is a good weapon pack to change the game entirely.

4. Zavender

Zavender Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'll throw myself out there as well I guess. When small or request-based mods come along its no issue, but larger/more involved projects, it'd be nice to get collabs going and such. And, as much as I have my own modding agenda, I'm always open for testing/ideas and such if anyone needs a hand.

5. MetaFace

MetaFace Guest

I got that, I have GIMP, video editing experience, screen recording software, I know lua to a point, and I get json a bit. Only exception is I'm not online all the time. I can keep a very even head myself and if someone has an idea I'll always consider whether it's dumb or not (though I most definitely won't say its dumb) , every idea has merit. If you need help I need the experience.

6. MrVauxs

MrVauxs Giant Laser Beams

Im ready to action, well not enteriely i can spam you ideas but i moved to a PC lately which has no SSD meaning Starbound runs at about 10 fps :(
    I will happily publish and update the steam version
    Also please teach me modding im a complete illiterate ;-;
    EDIT: This music is very motivating, at least for me

Double edit: http://steamcommunity.com/id/mrvauxs/

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  7. lazarus78

SSD would only effect load times, not FPS performance.

As for learning to mod. http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/unofficial-modding-ebook-2-0.2930/

8. MrVauxs

Tried

Im happy to work with an official mod creator but with code im completly clueless

9. lazarus78

Then how do you expect anyone to teach you?

Starbound is about as easy as modding comes.

10. MrVauxs

i don't know, im just that negative about raw coding/craftsmanship
    But when i get tools and isntructions ooh boy i construct my IKEA heaven in like an hour

11. lazarus78

I gave you instructions...

And Starbound modding does not require coding. JSON is not coding.

12. MrVauxs

Then what IS coding
    [​IMG]

13. lazarus78

JSON is just configuration data. There is no real "logic" to it like coding requires. Coding uses conditional statements (If, while, else, etc.) to get data and do an action based on that data. JSON is basically a container for data that you might need.

14. MrVauxs

Im taking modding starbound as a whole
    also if you want to have an argument just start a private conversation beacuse this is going off topic
    or add me on steam

15. lazarus78

I've done exactly one Lua script, and all it does is check the light levels. Yet I've made a randomized weapon system, custom armors, animated objects, even restructured the whole universe, without a lick of coding.

16. MrVauxs

Then we have completly diffrent meanings of coding
    Anyway just stop
    upload_2017-3-7_20-36-20.jpeg

17. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Stay ontopic or continue this discussion via pm. Further off-topic messages will be removed.

Regards
    Iris Blanche

18. Zanderfel

Zanderfel Big Damn Hero

I would like to be a candidate for this please, I have all the required skills I can sprite with photoshop and pyxel edit, I understand JSON and I have reasonable knowledge on LUA scripting...more importantly I have an unbelievable imagination and creative eye for detail...well in my opinion.
    also i can do all that online jazz, it doesn't bother me at all.

19. MetaFace

MetaFace Guest

I'm still here, I spend hours testing, modifying, and re-testing (a lot more than I should, hence the lack of sleep). Everyday, I learn something new, I read the lua scripts everyday as well.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people know more than I do, but I'd like to be considered, I'd also like if someone was pacing me so I can learn a little faster. I'm also not interested in "glory" so personally if my name was never brought up in a mod title I wouldn't complain as long as the mod creator knew I helped.

20. Jaxine

Jaxine Pangalactic Porcupine

Man, thanks for all the replies, guys! @MrVauxs , I'll show you what I know, if you'd like. @MetaFace , I'm gonna PM you. You seem eager. @Zavender and @Zanderfel , I'll chat with you about this more later on if I get back into it heavier. And @lazarus78 , sorry but I'm not interested. I'm sure you have moderate, if not extensive skill and knowledge, but I don't believe we would be able to communicate effectively. It is a pretty big requirement for me and you have depicted some personality traits that I'd conflict with. Thanks tho.

If anyone is very interested, PM me. I notice them way more than alerts!