Building/Ship Want feedback on my WIP Underground city Elysia

Discussion in 'Screenshots' started by Gunther_the_Apex, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Gunther_the_Apex

Gunther_the_Apex Phantasmal Quasar

Been working on this City for awhile and am looking for feedback.

Details:

Weekly update for any progress made to be posted on here Sundays with maybe mini updates in between

Cities Name: Elysia

Planet Type: Lava Sea

-Modding: (Gotten for End Game Use)
    >Mechs XS
    >Mechs ZZ
    >Explorer Pods
    >Shield Generators
    >Protectorate Re-powered
    >Environmental Safety?
    >WEdit - World Edit Mod
    >Spawnable Items Mod
    >Placeable Ships Mod

City Sectors & Progress:

1)Primary Living Sector (Mostly Complete) [May add subsection attachments]
    A)Primary Shopping District -attached storage center
    B )Human Apartments
    C)Floran Apartment
    D)Hylotl Apartment
    E)Glitch Apartment
    F)Novakid Apartment
    G)Avian Apartment
    H)Apex Apartment
    I)Primary Teleport
    J)Entertainment Centers

2)Museum (WIP)
    A)Floran & Glitch Displays
    B )Hylotl & Avian Displays
    C)Human& Apex Displays [Human Display WIP]
    D)Main Quest Artifacts
    E)Other's & Novakid Display [Other's Display WIP]
    F)Fossils Display [WIP]
    G)Apex Armors
    H)Main Lounge
    [Too be added]
    -Bug Display -Various Races Armors -Bug Collection -Clothing -ETC.

3)Governor's Manor (WIP) [Player Home]
    A)Entrance Hall/Teleport
    B )Entryway Hylotl Style
    C)Hylotl Sitting Room
    D)Zen Garden
    E)Crafting Lab
    F)Primary Garage
    G)Library Hylotl Style
    H)Master Bedroom (attached Wardrobe and Bathroom)
    I)Treasure Vault (attached hidden sub vault)
    J)Organized Storage (attached teleporter)
    K)Frozen Storage
    L)Secondary Garage
    J)Holiday Room
    K)Colorful Room
    L)Geode Room
    [Too be added]
    Various Themed rooms and workstations

4)Security Center
    A)Primary Security Center
    B )Security Hub 01

5)Thermal Plant/Defensive Tower

6)Space Tower Anchorage Point

7)Space Station (WIP)

8)Floran Sector (WIP)

Too Be Added: Glitch Sector/Hylotl Sector/Human Sector/Novakid Sector/Apex Sector/Avian Sector/Unique Race Sector/New Protectorate Headquarters/Prison/Various Subsections/GreenHouse & Farm(May be seperate sectors/Others to be determined.

Elysia Planet Info.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    Momopovich likes this.
  2. Gunther_the_Apex

Updated Floran District
    Floran District.jpg

Armorine1983 and Jackie2581 like this.
  3. Momopovich

Momopovich Pangalactic Porcupine

This is an impressive work, I think the orbital and surface buildings look really good, the block choices and details are cool but the underground boxes are a bit too repetitive

Gunther_the_Apex likes this.
  4. Gunther_the_Apex

Thank You, I try to add some diversity to the underground especially since I'm starting on the Floran Living District. Unfortunately trying to make an apartment style layout makes diversity hard. But that's what this thread is about feedback & ideas. Hell I'd probvably take requests if someone asked me

5. Momopovich

You could give a nice distinctive shape to the whole underground city, for now it's just like 4 aligned boxes but you can make it like maybe pyramidal, conical or tentacular so it's more impressive and/or intimidating. first examples that i have in mind are the underground evil bases in resident evil movies (terrible movies but i watched all of them, still duno why). Add some other non-residential types of rooms, like power generators, farms or other stuff but I'm sure you already have ideas. It sucks that starbound is not practical for big builds, it's hard to see everything and enjoy a proper view.

Starwire and Gunther_the_Apex like this.
  6. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

Nice so far,

7. Gunther_the_Apex

I might try to add that or something when I finally get to the edges of the city. Unfortunately right now there's like 10 more of thoses sectors I need to build for the underground so the grid systems been the most effective method for a clean layout I've found. I mentioned it above.
    Too Be Added: Glitch Sector/Hylotl Sector/Human Sector/Novakid Sector/Apex Sector/Avian Sector/Unique Race Sector/New Protectorate Headquarters/Prison/Various Subsections/GreenHouse & Farm(May be seperate sectors/Others to be determined.

8. Momopovich

I will be waiting for progress updates ! That's really ambitious, I hope you don't lose your motivation.

9. Gunther_the_Apex

Update:
    Expanded Floran Sector
    Added Nuru's Apartment to Floran Sector
    Finished Fossil Collection in Museum
    Unseen: Created rough tunnel Circling entire planet for Security Sector (WIP)
    New Planned Sector: Landing pad (added due to subscribed Place-able ships mod)
    New Museum Display Idea: Old Protectorate/Earth Memorial (added due to subscribed Protectorate Mods)

As always feedback is highly wanted

Elysia (2).jpg Elysia (3).jpg

10. Gunther_the_Apex

Update:
    Added Floran Cooks to Floran District
    Added Beginnings of a Surface Farm Tower

Elysia (4).jpg Elysia (5).jpg

11. Gunther_the_Apex

12. Gunther_the_Apex

Updated Floran Sector
    Elysia (2).jpg

Jackie2581 likes this.
  13. Gunther_the_Apex

Floran Sector Completed. what sector should I do next? hmmmm. Elysia (2).jpg

14. Gunther_the_Apex

Now my crazy plant people have a place to live in Elysia

15. Gunther_the_Apex

Update:
    Finished Surface Farm
    Added various offshoot passages for additional sector Elysia (2).jpg

16. Maethendias

Maethendias Phantasmal Quasar

it is pretty impressive, for how much work you had to do just by gathering all these ressources

it looks like it has everything you could get in this game

its like a collectionists dream

but in my honest opinion, it doesnt look like a home, it doesnt look, how should i say this, "organic"?
    its a colossal project, thats for sure, but there is a lot of room to polish and improve its general design :D

RobedRebel and Gunther_the_Apex like this.
  17. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I have to agree with @Maethendias on this. The scope is impressive, but the design is... lacking, and claustrophobic.

Everything blurs together in the underground rooms. The eye kinda glazes because there's nothing to draw the eye specifically, no negative space to split up the detail. Some more space between the rooms would help, smaller blocks of smaller rooms connected by tunnels leaving natural rock in shadow to better visually block off areas. Areas that aren't walled by manufactured blocks but open up into natural underground caverns would also help. Think of, say, Hoth Base from Empire Strikes Back. A few areas that look like they're part of the environment would be a good place for some of the more "industrial" sections. Or faked "natural" sections based on other biomes for people to enjoy. An underground arboretum or three, a fake beach, with sky murals on the wall.

And vents. Lots of vents/fans/etc underground to make the place look less like the air would be still and stifling.

The greenhouse tower looks like it should tip over even without a slight breeze to push it over. I'd build some tethered mini-islands to attach to it on both sides, with some techy-looking stuff that would indicate some kinda gravity tech or such going on to give it a wider and more stable base.

And the sheer number of turrets is... well, let's start with "overkill". Especially indoors. (Also would seem like if one exploded, it'd take a couple dozen/hundred others with it in a chain reaction.)

Not trying to sound mean. But a complex of this sort I would think works better more spread out.

18. Gunther_the_Apex

thank you for your input, I am always working on Elysia, and feedback on here helps me plan out future touch ups. I Hope the finial product does look more organic, because like you and @Maethendias said it feels very clunky too me too right now. For instance the greenhouse tower will eventually be connected to the space port island that will be to the right of it

Maethendias likes this.
  19. Gunther_the_Apex

Museum Update: Protectorate Remembrance Hall

Elysia (2).jpg

Jackie2581 likes this.
  20. Gunther_the_Apex

Update: Racial Armories

Elysia (2).jpg