Villagers' Hearts and Interaction

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MadBiskit, Apr 16, 2017.

1. MadBiskit

MadBiskit Void-Bound Voyager

Hi, this is my first time playing the game and posting here; I've been trying to look for a post about the villagers' heart/interaction but I seem to be at a loss.

I've been interacting and giving gifts to most of them but it seems like Vincent and Jas (other NPCs as well) goes from 1 to 2 hearts and 0 the next day.

Is this a bug?

In any case, here's my uploaded save file: http://upload.farm/all?series=1CZkEY

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    • blind3rdeye

blind3rdeye Big Damn Hero

There's heaps of information on the official wiki about how the hearts system works. But I warn you, once you've started looking up stuff like that, it becomes a lot more "gamey" and less immersive. (You start trying to play to optimise the hearts rather than to build relationships with characters in a more natural way.)

Here is some general information (with a fair bit of detail); and you can also see information on the wiki pages for individual characters and items.

I started looking at the wiki after I got a bit frustrated about particular gifts having very unexpected reactions... (eg. Why does everyone hate elvish Jewellery? It sounds like it would make a pretty good gift!)

MadBiskit likes this.
      • MadBiskit

I've been searching at the wiki but only looking at individual npcs. Thank you for pointing me to the right direction.

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

I've never seen hearts decrease by two before marriage unless you make a really bad choice--such as at a festival. The Luau's one: bring something that's really bad to the potluck soup, and your relationships in general will decrease.

That said, if you repeatedly forget to speak to someone whose relationship with your character is, say, three hearts, then over time it will decrease to two. Or, if it's just risen to three and you stop speaking to them, it should quickly decrease to two. There are mods to prevent this, if you want to go that way. Some people don't want to invest a lot of time in the relationship game, but do want to get the rewards (the recipes, for instance) that come with raising hearts.

• MadBiskit

I'd rather play without mods on my first play through so that's why I got bothered by it since I am really taking time to socialize with the villagers.

• LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

The wiki can be really helpful to at least know which gifts are likely to raise your relationship score and which will take it down. I know there are quite a few items that are at least Liked by everyone (cooking items and artisan goods come to mind) - though there are a few exceptions so its a good idea to check for each villager. Once you find something that works for everyone just keep a bunch of that thing around and pick a couple days out of the week to hand out gifts and you'll see the hearts go up. Talking to them every day also gives you some points so even if you can't give them something, just interacting will help.

• MadBiskit

Yes, thank you. I've been reading the wiki as what I have replied to blind3rdeye.

LuthienNightwolf likes this.
                • Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

Saturday nights at the Saloon will let you catch quite a few townsfolk to raise heart levels. Outside of aerobics day and festivals, the Saloon's your best shot at social interaction on a mass scale.

• Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

Friday nights, actually. There are some on saturday nights too, but friday night is when the saloon is at its busiest.

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

I never compared them--thanks, for that. Comes from beating up on things in the mines until very late, I suspect.

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

Just a note suggesting that CA adds a bit of difference to the hearts loss for various spouses. Insecure Alex regularly lost hearts when one of my farmers was married to him--usually anywhere from every 3 days to once a week. I kept a ready supply of corn just for him. Affectionate Emily, on the other hand, never lost hearts even once. I didn't even have to gift her. Both were hugged daily.

• sunlite

sunlite Pangalactic Porcupine

I'd also like to mention Penny is extremely sensitive. If you say you hate kids during her 8 heart event you lose 6 hearts, and you lose ~8 hearts if you reject her in the 10 heart event.

• LuthienNightwolf

I made Demetrius mad the other day because I sided with Robin about the whole tomato is fruit/vegetable debate. I know they're technically a fruit, but you don't put tomatoes in ice-cream Demetrius. Stop being an ass. I lost a heart with him when I did that. lol

• WilliamZ

WilliamZ Phantasmal Quasar

I see a lot of players saying that you can get max hearts with everyone, if you only give their loved gifts in their birthday (without the need to talk). Archive the max hearts isn't grindy as it may look, I recommend you to don't rush, or else you will be running in a town without nothing to do (unless you want to marry with someone).
                              The only heart event that is "missable", is the one with Sam at the first year on the summer I think.

• WilliamZ

WilliamZ Phantasmal Quasar

In that one I honestly agreed with him hahahaha

• LuthienNightwolf

I usually do too but this time I felt like rebelling a bit. lol

• Charity322

Charity322 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't think I lost hearts, but I was surprised when after we were married Elliott somehow knew that I'd given a gift to Shane and was getting quite jealous over it. "I don't have anything to worry about, do I?" The ridiculous thing was that I'd actually gone on a gift giving spree in the tavern that day, so why poor Shane got picked on I don't know. :rofl: I was rather offended. I've never done anything dodgy since we were married.

• Charity322

Charity322 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Okay, does Elliott have some sort of problem with Shane that I don't know about? I can give gifts to anyone else just fine, but twice now when I've given Shane a gift Elliott has thrown a pouty fit over it and accused me of secretly giving him stuff (in front of the whole tavern isn't really secretly).

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

It's not Shane per se, it's any eligible marriage candidate. You can gift non-marriage candidates all you want, but spouses tend to freak out when you gift anyone else who is available to be woo'd and wedded. If you're gifting the entire tavern and there are any other marriage candidates there (Leah, Harvey, and Emily can all be around most weeknights, and the younger set-- Sam, Seb, and Abby on Fridays) they may be getting the same reaction as well, but the jealousy meter will only name one of them when your spouse makes the accusation.

Charity322 likes this.
                                        • LuthienNightwolf

I believe you can give the other marriage candidates presents on their birthday without inciting a jealous rage from your spouse, something CA tweaked for us when 1.1 came out.