Video Game Titles That Need a Sequel

Discussion in 'Games' started by Jtl400, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Ren Fox

Ren Fox Big Damn Hero

I've gotta say...
    Rogue Legacy.
    One of my favorites.
    I got it when it was 'Cool' and new...
    And even though I've gotten everything...
    I still play it, like once a month.

Also...
    Dust: An Elysian Tail
    At first...
    It might look like a game for furries...
    But it came out since 2012?
    We're furries like a popular thing back then?
    I know they existed for like 30 years now...
    But 2012...
    Whatever...
    It's a platformer Fighter RPG with an amazing story.
    And beautiful hand-drawn levels.
    And grinding.
    And some side missions.

Lastly,
    Secret of Mana
    Really innovative JRPG at the time.
    Sort-ok story...
    A ttttooooon of content.
    Really old.

F**k Adventures of Mana. I'm sorry. It sucks. It's like someone wanted to rip off Zelda and make screen-panning become the RNG.

2. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Well, here's some more games for you:

Sword of Mana (GBA): Similar to Secret of Mana, set in the same universe, but not a storyline sequel per se, it's a remake of Final Fantasy Adventure (that old old gameboy game). It's kind of a cross between SoM and PS1's Legend of Mana.

Seiken Densetsu 3: I hear this is a good game, never really made time for it. You'll need a fan-translated ROM and a SNES emulator, but once you get it, you're good to go.

Secret of Evermore: Entirely different game story-wise, but it re-uses a lot of mechanics that Secret of Mana had, and I found it to be a decent game in its own right. A little heavy on grind, but once you get the hang of it, it ain't too bad.

And last, but not least, there's a re-translated Secret of Mana version floating around out there, that restores a huge chunk of what the story SHOULD have been, if they hadn't run out of time and space on the cart to translate it all. They cut huge portions of the story out and that's why the story seems "meh" on the original NA release of that game.

Ren Fox likes this.
  3. Ren Fox

Ren Fox Big Damn Hero

Wow!
    You really knew your games / did all the work of researching this stuff.
    Just for me.
    Thanks a lot!

4. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Just knowledge I already had, lol. I was a rather big fan of the -Mana series back when I was younger when those games were new, and I followed the series... and yes, the newest -Mana games, esp that PS2 one is just.... eeew.

But then, Squaresoft/Square-Enix are the Kings of Re-Inventing the Wheel; they take an awesome format that worked, and worked well and they gotta butcher it and change a bunch of junk and they usually come out with something that just ain't as good. They did it with -Mana, they did it with Final Fantasy.... it's just... "ugh.....why!?".

EDIT: I am also very surprised that there isn't a good SoM-quality indie game out there that use the same/similar format. There's a few short little indie flings but they don't have anywhere near the length or span of SoM. SoM was wildly popular in the day and now that indie games are so easy to make, you'd think someone would have done that by now.

5. Ren Fox

Ren Fox Big Damn Hero

I have to completely agree with you.
    I think they just want to put themselves in every market.
    Some of those special games are Okay...
    Like The World Ends with You: Solo Remix.
    But some aren't so good
    Like Kingdom Hearts: Unchained X
    Or
    Final Fantasy: Crystal Cronicles.
    In my opinion, at the least.

6. HueHuey

HueHuey Parsec Taste Tester

Half Life 2 Episode 2
    Demon's Souls

7. Lil' Mini

Lil' Mini Phantasmal Quasar

This game! The most awesome FPS game I've ever played with my family on the multitap-connection-thingy to the PS2. Tons of guns, many gamemodes, humour to the max, different timelines, hundreds of different playable characters, challenges, mapmaker AND a good story to boot! They've been talking about this Timesplitters Rewind since forever now, but I highly doubt that anything will ever come out of it. Me and my two brothers and dad have been playing this game for almost 10 years now and we still haven't grown tired of it, it's just pure, awesomeness. :rainbow:

Attached Files:

8. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

Well, it has one now.
    EDIT: On-topic, I personally think Iji should have a sequel, since the ending of the original game not only left it open, but it could have been used in order to both fix the issue of the original game (That is, making it difficult to sympathyze with the Komato in general), and in order to show what happened after that. In fact, the possible themes of rebuilding and raising a new civilization would make for a really interesting game.

9. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

Actually what I would like to see are:
    - Not as much a sequel, but some kind of HL2: Deathmatch 2 with a new engine, more weapons etc. I've started playing it again a month or so ago and it's great for simple mindless shooting.
    - Tower of Guns 2.
    For those that don't know tower of guns: Take the projectile hell of Binding of Isaac, if not near-Touhou levels sometimes, take the graphics style of Borderlands, make it 3D, give it no backstory, and you have ToG.
    [​IMG]
    ^^ Internet ^^
    vv Mine vv
    20161019145100_1.jpg 20161019150842_1.jpg

(Note that this game is for PC, PS3 and PS4)
    It might look rather boring but in my opinion it's quite fun.

10. Arnust

Arnust Big Damn Hero

FTL:Faster Than Light
    Risk of Rain
    Real Fallout game
    A good original Soulsborne

11. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

After having FINALLY beaten it on easy, uh, I think I would pass on that one lol.

Define "real".

You mean Baldur's Gate style like the first two? I don't really think that style of game is all that popular these days. They don't even make D&D games like that anymore. It's easy to see why: it's not fun whiffing at rats for 30-60 seconds and then eventually having 1 giant rat kill you because your luck at the dice blows.

Same problem most people have against Morrowind.

12. Arnust

Arnust Big Damn Hero

Doesn't matter if you prefer Classic or FPS Sandbox style. You could embody what makes Fallout unique in a text based adventure puzzzle game.

Fallout:New Vegas did, Fallout 4 did not and 3 was more like Oblivion with guns and a Fallout texture pack.

In my opinion Isometric TB would be slightly better than the modern style, as you cut budget in random shit like 1000 Names, voiced player character or fancy new repeated towns. You can focus in writing, dialogue and proper Role Playing. They aren't as similar as Baldur's Gate, Pillars of Eternity and Planescape: Torment as you'd think, as i'm slowly trying to get into these. The Classic Fallouts either are pretty easy to get into or experience from New Vegas really does carry on.

What Fallout IS is a Role Playing game just two blocks away Dungeons and Dragon's house, a post pocalyptical setting set in an alternate universe where Transistors were NOT (Fo4 doesn't care) invented after WWII, so this is a retro-futuristic setting that does lean more into the style
    of the Mad Max movies; sci-fi technology isn't abundant and slumbers underground or is guarded by Technophiliac Xenophobes that are the Brotherhood of Steel (Fo4/3 doesn't care). To people from after the bombs falling, they sometimes consider it as magic of sorts.

Time passes, and society, government and settlements (i hate that word now) rise anew. Only 100+ years later, a government as big and powerful as the ones of the past called the NCR has grown from a small town. A Legion following a Caesar is reuniting the tribes in the Mid-West. A Vault has used effectively their G.E.C.K. to create a small paradise powered by slavory and more. Mines, Mutant communes, trade between all them, Vaults open, people rebuild.
    This people often has conflicts between one another, for ideology, interest or territory. No ideas and actions are forced in to the player, it's up to him/her to decide if a farmer should stand up against his landlord, to convonce a Super Mutant to not go in insane revengeance against all puny humans and most especially, NOT nuke people.

I might have left some things out, but if you have played Fallout New Vegas and its DLCs that's my model of a "Modern" Fallout game, as good as the originals are.

You know what Fallout is to Bethesda besides a cash cow and a swift Google of the word "Fallout"?

[​IMG]
    Not bloody much

FTL:Faster Than Light
    After having FINALLY beaten it on easy, uh, I think I would pass on that one lol.

Precisely why i would want a sequel. Fix the bad pimples it had, adding a whole lot more variety, maybe either make it more of an RPG or perfect the combat, etc.
    It could be a Mario Galaxy 2, just more content please!

13. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

FO:NV wasn't THAT much different than FO3, other than you know, they made it so ridiculously hard to get decent weapons, and there were fewer "decent" weapons, and it just seemed like everything sucks until way later in the game.

People will go on and on about how awesome FO:NV but yet how much FO3 "sucks", but I just don't see it. I'm sorry, I don't.

But then I'm not into survival mode. *shrugs*

The original Fallout and Fallout 2 were very much Baldur's Gate style games. I don't know why you're saying they weren't, lol. You basically take Baldur's Gate, take out the D&D rules and replace it with the ruleset that FO and FO2 used and change up the UI some and BAM... that's what you got.

That's your idea of what Fallout should be, but yet maybe not everybody agrees? I think NV and 3 are just fine the way they are. I can't comment on FO4; I've never played it.

Yes, I have played FO:NV and all of its DLCs. I've also played FO3 and all of its DLCs. Other than the obvious parody of Mothership Zeta, I really don't see the difference between FO3 and FO:NV. I really don't. People go on and on about how much "difference" there is, but other than how annoying it is to find decent weapons and armor, I'm just not seeing it.

It would be nice if they would take FTL's general combat/UI system but get rid of the "GOTTA RUN RUN RUN" thing and nix the stupidly OP last boss that is 10x harder than anything before it and make it an exploration/RPG game, that would be awesome indeed. Maybe even get rid of the roguelike aspect and let you save/reload, that'd be cool too.

Fact is, they could have it set in the same universe, but this time the war is over, though there are still pockets of rebels that hate the federation.

14. Arnust

Arnust Big Damn Hero

FO:NV wasn't THAT much different than FO3, other than you know, they made it so ridiculously hard to get decent weapons, and there were fewer "decent" weapons, and it just seemed like everything sucks until way later in the game.
    Yes, I have played FO:NV and all of its DLCs. I've also played FO3 and all of its DLCs. Other than the obvious parody of Mothership Zeta, I really don't see the difference between FO3 and FO:NV. I really don't. People go on and on about how much "difference" there is, but other than how annoying it is to find decent weapons and armor, I'm just not seeing it.
    People will go on and on about how awesome FO:NV but yet how much FO3 "sucks", but I just don't see it. I'm sorry, I don't.
    But then I'm not into survival mode. *shrugs*

- Well, firstly FO:NV was mechanically stronger; the Damage Treshold replaced stupid Damage Resistance (ignored by Fo3/4), meaning that Radroaches get a flat reduction of damage instead of a percentage; so your armor won't break for puny hits and basically ignore them overall.
    This leads to the Ammo Types (ignored by Fo3/4), so instead of Magical Guns you can buy and craft your own improved ammo, Armor Piercing, Hollow Point, Freakin' Dragon Breath Shells, etcetera. Instead of building up your arsenal from an amount of Ammo Boxes and looting corpses, bartering for things is more useful here for ammo and high-level weapons, and Stashes/Big loot is the focus.
    There are more weapons, and more uniques. Once you have played the game for 600+ Hours you end up lovin' them. Indeed, there is the crappy tier of .22 Pistol, Single Shotgun, .375 Revolver, etc. But in Late-Game and ESPECIALLY the DLCs you can't tell me there isn't a lot of strong weapons to choose from.
    Still, combat is not the strong point of this game unless you modded it to get crosshairs, quickslots, NVG, Bullet Time, etc.
    The main strengths of this game are:
    - Role Playing: Even if you think RP is subjective (it's not), the freedom of choice and ways to build your character into a solid archetype is one of the best in modern gaming excluding cRPGs. I have yet to find a situation where i have to think
    "Wow, nothing I'm doing matters" Which is the rule in Fo3/4... Thus, the game is very replayable; you can make radically different characters to try taking different choices from previous playthroughs. Up to 4 are enough to see "everything"
    - Writing: C'mon. Just look at the quest "Beyond The Beef". It continues the originals pretty faithfully and their universe. More people rebuilding and fighting over Zombie shootin'
    - It's late and i have to go to bed but this game is the shit.

If you really feel like seeing what the original and NV Fallout fans feel, check this site, it's the major opinion there. http://www.nma-fallout.com/

The original Fallout and Fallout 2 were very much Baldur's Gate style games. I don't know why you're saying they weren't, lol. You basically take Baldur's Gate, take out the D&D rules and replace it with the ruleset that FO and FO2 used and change up the UI some and BAM... that's what you got.

- I'm not saying they weren't :nurutease: It's just that they feel a lot different, i swear!

That's your idea of what Fallout should be, but yet maybe not everybody agrees? I think NV and 3 are just fine the way they are. I can't comment on FO4; I've never played it.

- Well that's what Fallout is about, mostly. You can perfectly like and enjoy Wasteland Adventure AKA Fo3 and 4, but for me they are in a whole 'nother universe (especifically, the East Coast). Bethesda made a FPS Snadbox out of it, and the only positive things it brought was cool exploration for Fo3 a lot of people fell in love with (Not me, personally; i feel like they could have focused in other things than making hundreds of broken down buildings with a green filter over everything)

It would be nice if they would take FTL's general combat/UI system but get rid of the "GOTTA RUN RUN RUN" thing and nix the stupidly OP last boss that is 10x harder than anything before it and make it an exploration/RPG game, that would be awesome indeed. Maybe even get rid of the roguelike aspect and let you save/reload, that'd be cool too.

Fact is, they could have it set in the same universe, but this time the war is over, though there are still pockets of rebels that hate the federation.

- Whatever! The concept works, not minding too much the RNG, often brutal, and so many things can be done with this framework! Skyshine's Bedlam was supposed to be a lot like FTL but it turned out very mediocre.
    The last boss can officialy go fuck itself, but if i had fun in the trip i usually don't mind much not beating this kind of final bosses. Usually.
    Saving should be just a halfway thing, or each 1/3 of the way to the end, as it could be cheesed WAY too much. Or an Exit-Save, really. I just want to be able to continue after switching off if i really need to.

15. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

First off... no offense, but it'd be a lot easier if you'd use the quote system... with that said...

I do agree that in some cases, the DT system is better than DR, but yet the inverse is true in other situations. While fighting weak enemies, the DT system is going to be awesome. However, near the end of the game, the DR system is going to help you more. If you take a 5 damage hit and you have a DT of 8, then yeah, you take 0 damage.

But when you get late-game and you got some Deathclaw mauling you for 50 damage hits, that DT of 8 is going to reduce the damage to a "mere" 42. Meanwhile, if you had, say, a 50 DR armor, you'd only be taking 25 damage.

And again, in FO:NV, it is hard to find any good armor. Yes, there's the talking Combat Suit from Old World Blues and it is rather good... oh wait, that thing needs repaired every 5-10 hits you take. I really hope you have the Jury Rigging perk, because otherwise, only Medium Combat Armor will fix it, which is exorbitantly expensive or difficult to get ahold of.

That's to say nothing of trying to find (or worse, repair......) a suit of Power Armor (there's only a few suits in the entirety of NV).

You talking about the Gun Runners Arsenal DLC? lol. A lot of the stuff they sell is for like 25,000+ Caps. Yaaa. If you could afford one... good luck repairing the stupid thing. Well, ok, you could sell it back to the Gun Runners and then re-buy it..... for another 25,000 caps. There might be more uniques in NV, but a good number of them are GRA weapons and are entirely too expensive. It takes hours of looting and hawking loot to be able to afford that stuff.

It's a First-Person Shooter game... combat is a rather large part of it. And in NV, the game mechanics are basically telling you NOT to do much combat, even though the game and its style is designed for doing lots of it.

Many of the "choices" you make in NV... let's see... Goodsprings vs Powder Gangers... uh, once you get past the first couple towns, chances are you'll never visit either of those places ever again, so it isn't like those choices matter much in the long run. Okay, you got the whole House/NCR/Legion/Yourself thing going for the End, and I went House in my playthroughs but then I read up on the other questlines... and they are very similar: Kill House, Kill NCR or Legion (the opposite of the one you joined) or Both if you happen to be going for Yes Man. The quests are actually.... very similar.

Huh. A mod that fixes Fallout 1 and 2. Okay... never thought to look for one of those, might tinker with it someday.

16. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

Kinda tl;dr'd it but all I wanted to point out that in F:NV you can get the grenade machinegun early in the game (like, I had it before I even got to New Vegas proper) and just lay waste to EVERYTHING.
    I went into the Deathclaw Sanctuary armed with a couple dozen stimpacks to heal myself when I shelled myself with my grenade machinegun just to get a slightly better one (and better looking one) and basically became some kind of grenade-spamming maniac.
    At that stage I was more at risk of killing myself than being killed by anything around me.

Combat in the game was kind of a joke. At the beginning you just kinda stepped around everything until you got the 10mm pistol, caravan shotgun, or a proper melee weapon and at that point nothing could stop you anymore short of a deathclaw or a really well armed bandit or fiend.

Or cazadores. They're like the Cliff Racer of the fallout universe. Screw those things.

17. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I'd love to know how you could afford that many grenades, TBH. A few? Sure... but to be absolutely spamming them? You'd surely run dry on either nades or caps rather quickly I'd think. And I wasn't aware that shops had those in large quantities; I've seen a few of them like 4 here and 5 there, but a launcher machine gun? Dude. You'd go through 20, 30+ nades in a single battle against a couple claws.

18. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

A better example of a Disc-One Nuke (Go to TV Tropes in you don't get the term) would be the Q-35 Matter Manipulator, which is slightly less powerful than a normal Plasma Rifle, but:
    1-Uses up less ammo per shot.
    2-Fires faster shots.
    3-Crits more often.
    And it can be obtained fairly early on, assuming you know where it is (Better yet, there's also a ton of ammo there, along with 2 Energy Weapons skill books)
    Another example (If you don't have Wild Wasteland) is the YCS-186, which is actually easier to find than normal Gauss Rifles. It helps that the guy who wields it also has decent armor.
    After leveling up a bit, and after some save-scumming, you can then go to Quarry Junction and kill the Deathclaws, which, apart from Deathclaw Eggs and Hands, also gets you decent loot, such as a Light Machine Gun. (Ovbiously, there are more like mid-game)
    Yet another example is that, if you're planning to go for a non-Legion ending, killing Vulpes Inculta in Nipton will get you a Ripper, which not only deals a lot of damage, but also ingores DT, which will be important once you have to deal with the assassins, who (due to what seems to be a bug, and might only happen in Xbox 360 with all DLCs), can end up bringing decent weapons...And Thermic Lances, which are basically the Ripper, but bigger, badder, and less chainsaw-y.
    Another REALLY early-game one (That also requires Save Scumming) is Chance's Knife, which is the second-best knife in the game.
    A less sequence-breaking one would be getting Service Rifles, which are a near-complete upgrade over the Varmint Rifle, and can be found early on by:
    1-Buying it in Primm.
    2-Doing a easy quest in the Mojave Outpost (This one is also in perfect condition and comes with AP ammo, which helps if you go for the Ripper).
    3-Finding it near a dead NCR Trooper near the wreckage where Lonesome Road begins.
    If companions also ocunt, then ED-E is very powerful in the early-game, which gets even more ridiculous if you also recruit Boone (The result is that you won't notice weaker enemies until you hear gunshots and see the EXP increase prompt).
    If DLC are taken into account, then it's possible to get a fully-repaired GRA Plasma Pistol in Goodsprings assuming you get enough money (Which isn't that much, specially with a decent Barter skill), the Honest Hearts DLC is easy to complete (At worst, you'll get a relatively bad ending in a DLC in which all endings are bittersweet, and that is only if Joshua kills Salt-Upon-Wounds, so leveling up Speech of taking the other path will avoid it), the Lonesome Road DLC lets you leave the Divide at any point, so you can get an Arc Welder and decent armor), while Old World Blues gives you a really good merchant, a free weapon that is rather effective against robots, and, if you pass a Skill Check, a machine gun with a dog brain (Which is also one of the few scoped automatic guns in the game), and, depending on your skills, a lot of money and ammo from the opening conversation alone.

19. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

@TCR47 : I rather like FO3's version of "get imba asap" which involves running to the Ex-Brotherhood Enclave as soon as you exit Vault 101 and jumping into the Anchorage simulation for a suit of invincible power armor that never needs repaired, AND you get the power armor skill perk for free.

Oh, and the unique chinese sword you find there makes for a great melee weapon, lots of ammo, grenades, mines, a few guns, but dude the armor. You are basically invincible for quite awhile once you get it. And of course you get lots of levelups in the simulation itself, you just gotta be a little careful and take it slow and the last battle takes a little luck but it is do-able at the beginning of the game. Those healing stations make it so you can get XP without using Stimpacks, you just keep backtracking to the previous healing/ammo stations, and that allows you to just blast away as much as you want while training your skills up.

Once you do that, head on over to the Zeta Ship for all the overpowered weapons you could possibly want.

20. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

I was dedicated to explosive weaponry and the grenade machinegun was my primary weapon for it. It allowed me to sell all the melee and energy weapons I found and energy weapons are worth quite a bit, same for their ammo. And buttering up even the slightest with the BoS means you have access to the energy weapon ammo crate in the Hidden Bunker, which is filled up with ammo again rapidly. As for the grenades, the base Grenade Machinegun actually uses 25mm grenades. The special variant, Mercy, does use 40mm grenades.
    For 25mm grenades, just play the waiting game with the Vendortron and the guy at the 188 trading post. For 40mm grenades, there's again the Vendortron, along with Cliff Briscoe in the Dino D-Lite motel, or the Boomers in Nellis Air Force Base.