Vehicles are for fun, but they're too punishing to use

Discussion in 'Vehicles and Mounts' started by Godbot, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Godbot

Godbot Big Damn Hero

Vehicles like the hoverbike are fun but impractical. You have to carry them around, there's terrain they can't go over, and you can't fight when you're driving them - but they go really fast, and you can ride around with another player. They're just meant to be a fun way of traveling around.

So then why are they so fragile? The only situation where you would want to use a hoverbike is where you'd drive them around really fast and crash them into stuff, but you're punished for doing that. The hoverbike just falls apart, and you have to take it all the way back to the outpost and pay to have it repaired. That, or you carry a bunch of spares around.

I'm fine with the hoverbike taking damage. It's probably more fun that way, because it's something you have to keep an eye on. But vehicles shouldn't be so punishing to use.

I think if your hoverbike takes damage, it should either regenerate health over time, like the mech appears to in the dev blog, or you should be able to repair it in the field. Just making it so that you can use auto chips on a vehicle yourself to repair them would completely change how you interact with them. The player still has to keep an eye on their vehicle's health, they can't ride it forever, and they have to manage their resources, but it doesn't break up the gameplay by forcing the player to go back to the Ark.

(Another idea I had was that mechanics could heal your vehicles, but I don't know if that would work. It just seemed like it'd make sense.)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  2. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

Another possibility would be to make hover higher than it currently does so crashing it is more difficult, and to give it weapons.