Modding Help Using alternate tile colors in Tiled

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by AmazonValkyrie, Feb 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. AmazonValkyrie

AmazonValkyrie Spaceman Spiff

I recently made a tileset that has multiple colors and can be repainted with the paint tool. While building with these tiles in Tiled, I was hoping to utilize their multiple colors for spawning locations. I couldn't find an example of this in the vanilla tilesets, however I figured it would be a property for the tile itself. I tried adding the color variations as separate tiles but as different orientations, however using the same material name. This still only spawns the default color of the tile. I was hoping somebody might have more information on how to do this. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance ^_^

2. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

I've been looking into this myself.

So far, I've been trying to see if we can add directives to the properties of objects we place in Tiled.
    I know we can add properties to specify container item pools, and a few other things, but there is no example of use of an object's color index or directives with Tiled.

As of now, I don't think there's any documented or noted way to do it. It MIGHT be possible, but I have no examples of it being done.

(Might be a good question for one of the Devs if anyone catches them...)

3. AmazonValkyrie

I know it was a property for tiles in the old way of mapping...or at least I'm pretty sure it was. I could be mistaken on that, but if it were a thing, it might have the answer. I'll check the old dungeon files to see if I can find any clue. Yeah, I know it's presumptuous, and I might not receive and answer, but I was thinking of just messaging one of the devs with a plea for help on this lol. Here's hoping we figure out how to do this, because it'll go a long way for decorating in game via Tiled....a long way.

4. Inf_Wolf14

If you find that property from the old system, post the snippet here. I'll try a couple dozen variations of syntax to see if I can get a result from Tiled.

It'd be really nice to get this as well. :)

Currently, all villages in my race mod are using the wrong color variation of marble pillar... :cry:

AmazonValkyrie likes this.
  5. AmazonValkyrie

I feel ya. I designed furniture to match some of my color variations for tiles, and I just started building in Tiled last night, thinking "Oh, I can do this. I have no example of it, but I must be able to." lol I built it all anyhow, even if it didn't work the way I wanted :p Is there any particular person I should message, or would even Lady Mollygos do? I'm hoping if I'm eloquent and kind enough, I can get a response lol.

6. Inf_Wolf14

Molly is the community manager so she probably wouldn't have the knowledge towards the mechanics behind the game. (She might know who to ask though.)
    Someone like Healthire would probably know more about the Tiled implementation.

At very least, if a 1-on-1 isn't possible to ask, a good place might be to post around the support forum as a question.
    (In general, it's information that should, really, be known already. Much of Tiled has really been poking around the program and testing things... At least, until the wiki got a semi-decent tutorial up and running.)

PrinceTBug likes this.
  7. AmazonValkyrie

I messaged Molly and asked, as sweetly as I could, if she could pass this question to the proper person who might have the time to answer it. Regardless, I'm sure we'll figure it out soon enough ^_^ At least I sure hope so lol.

PrinceTBug and Inf_Wolf14 like this.
  8. Duskitten

Duskitten Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Im a bit late tot he party but i figured it out, basically put in a "parameters" property, and inside put

For example for Varients of objects:
    Code:
    {"color":"red"}
    [​IMG]

For example for Colored Tiles (will make grass blue, not sure about other tiles:
    Code:
    {"materialHueShift":-180}

HOWEVER
    I still havent found a way to properly select specific Tile Colors, without hueshift, so i will keep looking for that

If you wanna talk on discord my user is duskitty#4455