Modding Help Updating a Mod

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Visnomadic, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Visnomadic

Visnomadic Space Hobo

So there is this mod I really like but it's outdated. Since the author allows people to mix up and change the mod, is there anyway possible that I can update the mod to be 1.0 compatible?

2. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

All you have to do, for the most part, is learn the basics of modding and apply it to the mod you want to update.

3. Visnomadic

Visnomadic Space Hobo

So add something to it and re-upload?

4. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

What mod is it? In most cases it will be more complicated than just adding something and re-uploading.

5. Visnomadic

Visnomadic Space Hobo

The D-97 dropship by Valkroth.

6. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

Ok, so the biggest problem is that this mod was made before ships could be upgraded. You will need to make/find images for all 8 ship tiers if you want the ship to be upgrade-able at all. If you can do that, I can help guide you through formatting the JSON.

7. Visnomadic

Visnomadic Space Hobo

What about if I just want the ship to be the way it is or do I need to find/make upgraded versions. I like the mod the way it is, just need a way for it to be compatible for 1.0

8. Naddox

Naddox Cosmic Narwhal

You don't have to make more versions of it, you'll essentially make it so it uses the same ship for for each tier. But honestly, it wouldn't be difficult to make more tiers of that ship.

9. Visnomadic

Visnomadic Space Hobo

I just don't know what to do. :/

10. Naddox

Naddox Cosmic Narwhal

Well my suggestion would be to scrap the whole mod except for the images themselves because I doubt any of the code will work with current version of Starbound with how old it is. Second, find a tutorial on making a ship mod and just use the images you got.

If you do want more versions for upgrading that are all different but you're not good at image editing, I would be willing to give it a shot for you.

11. Visnomadic

Visnomadic Space Hobo

Haha, I'm actually reading a modding guide for Starbound. I guess that's my best option. Also that would be wonderful if you could to do that, I'm not really sure what else I can do with that ship but if you're willing to offer some help, I will gladly appreciate that. :)

Naddox likes this.
  12. Naddox

Naddox Cosmic Narwhal

Okay, I'll work on it.
    --- Post updated ---
    Got Tier0/1 done. I'm not going to make it look broken for the tier 0 at the moment. Maybe in the future.
    http://imgur.com/BbkYKEA

I don't know what the dimensions are for the new teleporter room so I just left it with the one it had. When I'm home an can find out I'll change it to the appropriate size.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    Visnomadic likes this.
  13. Visnomadic

Visnomadic Space Hobo

This looks fantastic man! :up: I'm starting to code everything and now that you made tier 1, I can code it in. As you make more, I can code in more but again this looks amazing.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  14. Naddox

Naddox Cosmic Narwhal

Do you want the original ship to be tier 8 or more in the middle like tier 4 or 5? Right now I am thinking tier 5.

15. Visnomadic

Visnomadic Space Hobo

I just tested the original ship and when i tried rebooting it lagged. I tried again and it worked fine. The only problem I have if we make it tier 5 is that tier 8 would be even bigger and I'm afraid it will make peoples game lag out. I also have one question, are you familiar with the structure blocks that have to do with ships or not?
    --- Post updated ---
    Nevermind, i tweaked it a little and it actually runs quite fine. So i guess we could make it tier 5 if you are willing to make even bigger ships for the next tiers. I would also like to thank you for helping me out, I appreciate it man. :)

Naddox likes this.
  16. Naddox

Naddox Cosmic Narwhal

I just noticed a huge problem. The ship file is tiny compared to vanilla. But you're saying you were able to get it to load no problem. I am curious how big were things for you?

17. Visnomadic

Visnomadic Space Hobo

What do you mean, like the ship file or the ship in-game?

18. Naddox

Naddox Cosmic Narwhal

The image file itself, I'll put up a comparison. Can you put up a screenshot of you using it ingame?

19. Visnomadic

Visnomadic Space Hobo

http://imgur.com/a/gYH6X Keep in mind that im using zoom mod so i can get the entire ship. Also I'm figuring out stuff becuase if you cant tell you can still see the original human ship.

20. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

That's because you did not replace the 'lit' ship images.