Modding Help Updating a mod from a very old release

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Who-hoo, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Who-hoo

Who-hoo Big Damn Hero

I was wondering, how would one go to updating a mod from say, Angry Koala to the latest release? Are .paks still used for compressing them? How much did the file structuring change by now(in the .json files)?

2. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Unless it is an extremely simple mod ( changes the graphic of some item ) - it has to be remade completely.

3. Who-hoo

Who-hoo Big Damn Hero

It's a new race mod, so I figure I'll have to rewrite it then. Okay, thanks!

4. LazerRay

LazerRay Cosmic Narwhal

If you are lucky, you could salvage some of the original mod assets for your rebuild, it will just take a lot of time figuring out how to redo the folder structures and repairing the files.

I have done this on an old custom race mod as a personal edit right now, and its working so far, but there are still some things I plan to put back in once I figure out how to do it.

Another good tip is to check the mod forums here, you can find some template mods to help guide you while you rebuild older mods, and again just take your time with it, eventually you will have something working again.

5. C0bra5

C0bra5 Oxygen Tank

Feel free to look at my race base template, I've fully commented it so that you have a good idea of what is needed and how to create a new race. if you have some problems understanding or getting some parts to work properly. Just read the comment and the help files and you should be all set.

bk3k likes this.