Tool [Updated]Asset Packaging/Unpackaging GUI Frontend (for 1.0)

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by chrisgbk, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Failbird105

Failbird105 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm having a problem using it, whenever I try to unpack my assets, it just gets partway through and then stops completely as if it had finished already

2. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Thank you so much, I was some what sad I couldn't use this tool anymore.

3. chrisgbk

chrisgbk Subatomic Cosmonaut

Click the More... button, and copy the log that's generated when it fails. It's possible you are trying to unpack somewhere you don't have permission to unpack to, which you can solve by running the exe as an administrator.

4. The | Suit

Suggestion - if possible be able to pack by typing in the file directory manually.

Also a small correction for packing it says .pak or .modpak
    .modpak is no longer used, only .pak

5. chrisgbk

Yeah, I'll remove the .modpack since that was changed.

Why type in the directory to pack when you can just drag the folder from Explorer onto the program?

6. The | Suit

Oh did not know that was possible.

7. McYamyam

McYamyam Intergalactic Tourist

Thanks for this! This was super helpful!

8. The_Best_Bacca_Z

The_Best_Bacca_Z Intergalactic Tourist

What's the average amount of time it'll take? I'm a complete noob trying to use The|Suit's Ebook to mod, and it seems to be taking a while. I just went to Starbound, assets, packed.pak and dragged that into the box. Thanks for reading!

9. The | Suit

Matters on the speed of your computer.
    2 to 15 minutes.

10. The_Best_Bacca_Z

The_Best_Bacca_Z Intergalactic Tourist

Huh. it took, to be precise, 39.948 minutes (did the second counter divided by 60). This is what happens when you use a pc from 2013. Also, thanks for your guide!:DD

11. Drakarus

Drakarus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think the download is broken. I get a dropbox 404 every time I follow the link.

12. The | Suit

I removed the link and updated the post - the file is attached to the first post.

13. Drakarus

Drakarus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thank you very much.

14. hellenicshaco

hellenicshaco Orbital Explorer

Hi there, thanks a lot that programs save me :nuruflirt:
    working in windows 10 x64 & x 32 system tested and stay happy since these windows don't support command program:nuruhype:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    Fiestashowbiz likes this.
  15. ruddthree

ruddthree Phantasmal Quasar

I unpacked the assets, and I realized I wanted to unpack them into separate folder, not the starbound folder itself, but when I tired to delete the files, they just reappeared a few seconds later.

16. chrisgbk

All file operations are performed by the built-in starbound tools, not this tool. This tool only handles running those tools with the correct arguments.

Windows 10 very much supports command-line programs - this program actually runs command-line tools in the background for you.

17. Mumpfbrapp

Mumpfbrapp Scruffy Nerf-Herder

18. Pukitaki

Pukitaki Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The OP apparently has been gone for a couple of years, and while the unpacker is working fine for now, I'd like to get the source code just in case it needs updated in the future. Does anyone know if it can still be requested, and if so, how/from who/where?

19. VasVadum

VasVadum Cosmic Narwhal

Unfortunately, it does need an update. It doesn't save anything when you open it. It can't detect the game install directory because my game is installed on the D drive. I have to use this awful path chooser every time I run it and batch files don't work for creating pak files, always an error with no information on how to fix.

Lord Aries Greyscale likes this.
  20. faennia

faennia Aquatic Astronaut

Nice tool, working fine :nuruflirt: