1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Tutorial Upbeat Giraffe - FAQ

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Nordan, Jan 30, 2015.

1. The reset is a question of depending of linux/win machine, to tweak one autorestarter script for like copy/paste a file (of homeworld .world) before start the server again, that will reset it to the original form you want every time.

And yes, a mistake from the devs was to add admin commands without protect their functions, this means, normal players can manipulate the functions from admin commands (spawnitems, tileprotections, etc...) And be able to do what they wish with it. That's why resets are important.

2. MasterSaturday

MasterSaturday Phantasmal Quasar

We've been having connection issues, and I was wondering if you might know the solution. It's kind of complicated, but I'll try and trim the fat.

Basically, I tried setting up a server using my computer, and my friend, connected through the same IP (she's right next to me) can't connect - in fact, her whole game crashes whenever she tries. The log gives this error:
    And then spews a bunch of lines with random jargon letters - I'll upload the log file so you can see - before conking out.

I've tried "testing" my server by logging on using a different laptop, but the problem is it's an old laptop and is known for having trouble staying connected to the internet. However, it was able to connect to the server for a brief moment before timing out (it did this multiple times). Obviously, I can also connect my computer to itself.

We all have the same mods installed, the problem is that I can't back up her files to test a vanilla version of her game on public server. Her player/universe files just aren't there (Completely gone - she's on a Mac, I don't know if that makes a difference), so the only option would be to uninstall/reinstall the game.

Any idea what the issue might be? I feel like it might just be because I'm using a public internet connection (university) and I'll just have to wait until I get back home where I can access my router to enable port forwarding. But do you think there's a different issue?

Attached Files:

3. Nordan

Nordan Big Damn Hero

@MasterSaturday

The log from your friend's machine you posted seems to indicate that the game is just having trouble resolving that DNS name, which it should handle a lot more gracefully than crashing her game, but I'll let devs handle that. Just to be clear, her game is crashing out completely when attempting to connect or she's receiving an error message in-game saying something along the lines of "Join failed blah blah blah"?

4. MasterSaturday

Completely crashing. No warning, the game just closes. This is on OSX Yosemite. Singleplayer runs fine, but the game does take an unusually long time to load.

5. pandee

pandee Big Damn Hero

@Nordan

Could you tell us your ways on resetting spawn planet at reboot?

6. Nordan

Nordan Big Damn Hero

@MasterSaturday

Is your friend trying to connect to you using 'wireless-22-80.wireless.umbc.edu' or through your actual IP address? Can your friend connect to any other servers without crashing?

@pandee See the SUPER BOAT section of the FAQ.

7. MasterSaturday

Sorry mate, was quite busy these past couple of weeks.

I think it was my actual ip address. I used the "what's my ip site" provided by the tutorial here on the site. We weren't able to connect to any other servers because I wasn't able to find the player/universe files on the computer to delete them after removing the installed mods. For some reason they just weren't there, and I didn't have time to completely re-install the game before we had to leave. Sorry, I know that's not very helpful. I might just have to wait until I'm back home where I can tweak my internet a bit more.

8. Dunto

Dunto Guest

Clients on your LAN (like your friend sitting next to you) can't connect to your external IP since you both share the same external IP (you'd have to bounce the outgoing connection from your friend off a server and send it back into your network, which is pointless). Have them connect to your LAN IP instead ("ipconfig /all" on windows of "ifconfig" on linux will show you your network-assigned IP). Use the external IP/domain name for clients outside your LAN.

9. TardoShore

TardoShore Void-Bound Voyager

Hey guys,

just wanted to add some experiences I made in the last couple of days (just after patching the server to "Spirited Giraffe".
    However as I did not find any related thread that suits better than this one, I hope it is okay to place both (an info and a question) just right here.

Information:
    We ran (and still run) our starbound server using port forwarding, but with upnp deactivated in the router settings. That worked pretty fine so far, but with 'Spirited Giraffe' the server stucked during star up at
    Code:
    Info: Scanning for router for portforwarding
    Found out that some changes in the starbound.config and the corresponding sbboot.config had to be made, to bring our servers up again:
    Code:
    "upnpPortForwarding" : true,
    We had to manually set this to false in both config-files. (Somehow it did still stuck during router-scan if we only changed this line in the starbound.config).

Question:
    Until the update 'Spirited giraffe' our servers were configured to use one specific world as the starting planet for all players that join (especially those that started with a new character). Thus we had set the parameters "useDefaultWorldCoordinate" and "defaultWorldCoordinate", which worked well so far. However now the "defaultWorldCoordinate"-parameter made the server throw json exception during start up, and we tried to fix the string value without any success.
    E.g.:
    Code:
    "defaultWorldCoordinate" : 731637345:-626411533:62872940:5:5"
    Does anyone know what needs to be changed? We tried several variants but it seems like the parameter is not excepted at all. It always throws a "Rename error: 3" json-exception.
    Any idea how to make sure that all players start (on first log-in) at the same world, with "Spirited Giraffe"?

10. Dunto

Dunto Guest

This thread is for an older version of the game so any information may not be relevant to any issues you're experiencing.

(The port forwarding only seems to cause problems for a few people, depends on your network setup, and the players always start on the same world now.)

11. Jardi-Gol

Jardi-Gol Big Damn Hero

Hi guys.
    How to make a Server password, so only who have password be able to join?

12. renojonathanr

renojonathanr Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Add a new account to starbound.config. Of course, people who want to join your server will also have to enter the account name.

Jardi-Gol likes this.
  13. Jardi-Gol

Jardi-Gol Big Damn Hero

Ok, thank you reno.

14. renojonathanr

renojonathanr Scruffy Nerf-Herder

By the way, what's your server called?

15. Jardi-Gol

Jardi-Gol Big Damn Hero

=|SXC|=. Was from a community before but as the time nobody talk to much about this game, I've changed.

16. jackd23

jackd23 Void-Bound Voyager

Dunto had posted a small python RCON client that seems to work fine out of the box, just have to fill in the server address and rcon password with a text editor.