Modding Help Undertale Goat Monsters: Big feet or small feet?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Cell Materia, Sep 24, 2016.

?

Big feet? or Small Feet?

1. Small Feet

8 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Big Feet

24 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. Cell Materia

Cell Materia Cosmic Narwhal

oh lame. so you can't have more than one trait be colored and different shaped? LAME i guess i'll just make all goat monsters bald or something xO or maybe make the hair and horn combinations into something. WHICH SHOULD I DO *spins around*

yes!! i hope we can have them around soon!
    wait wouldn't that mean my goat monsters wouldn't be wearing pants? like it erases the whole thing? but i only want them to have no shoes? and have pants??

thank you!

Roskii Heiral likes this.
  2. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Well... Hmm, I ve seen the "invisible pants" before, maybe you can do it so only the feet become invisible? I wonder how that would work...

3. Cell Materia

i just realised there's two armor slots for players: armor and decorative. this means goat monsters can't wear decorative clothes D:

4. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Guest

Ive got a little bit written up already, npt gonna share my progress yet

5. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Well not really, you can wear armour (any item from the game) and then put the legwear with invisible feet on the decorative, so like an outfit!

6. Cell Materia

aw that's good to hear yas!

but then how do the characters get stat bo00osts? unless I make their armor decorative as well but that will be the only thing they can wear!!

Also i just spent like 40 minutes trying to make an animated, pixel banner that links back to this thread but deleted it at the last minute because i felt stupid >___< ALL PROGRESS LOST

7. Marinebeast

Marinebeast Existential Complex

You just make their pants items not have any feet, and have those be decorative while the armor you want is in equipment.

Either way, custom body templates are going to do that.
    If you have feet, or body shape, or whatever that doesn't match the ingame default, you're going to have clipping or weirdness or whatever going on. It's a shame, but that's how it is.
    Prime example is the Avali race, which need custom clothes and tend to use invisible clothes to go over whatever vanilla armor you might want to use.

As for stats, you'll find a way. You can put stats on a lot of stuff and have it work nicely. Or you could just make multiples of one armor item, or take the Avali route and use spriteless armor insets.

8. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

aweee... now I am curiousX3 even if it doesnt look as you wanted, its a start right? maybe next time! oh and well... the game inventory works something like this...

1- your "stat" set which is where you put your armour, the stats will be in effect.

2- the "vanity" set, which is where your vanity items can be worn (such as invisible items) to "hide" your armour, or "reskin" it, while keeping the stats, these are not single use like your typical online game, you can change vanity items at your leisure! and if you wear nothing on your vanity set, you ll be able to see your armour.

9. Roskii Heiral

Roskii Heiral Heliosphere

but no pants is pretty great, right? xD

Yeah, like others have said. You just need to make a few pairs of bottoms that you're happy with. Maybe that robe? Then people using the mod can use your bottoms as vanity and wear whatever vanilla armor they want for stats =3

10. Alpha_StevO

Alpha_StevO Phantasmal Quasar

In regards to the hair-horn issue; I'm not entirely certain how the code for it works, BUT I have seen it on custom races before.

First, I'd remove the horns from the base sprite. Have the horns be their own separate file, as if it were hair. Both horns oughta be on separate, so there's one asset file for the left and right horn. The hair should also be it's own asset. Then have them layered in the order (assuming the character's facing the right): Right horn, hair, head sprite, left horn.

That way, whenever they throw on a helmet, it'll hide the horns and hair, so it won't stick out!

11. Cell Materia

oka y so if i read that right: each horn has to be separate? i can't have both horns on one file separate from the hair and the body?

b-but i don't want floppy goat dongs in my face!! D:

hmm....so they wouldn't be able to wear the native vanity armor? they'll only have custom cloths?

or in my case i'll probably just edit ALL the vanilla wear items manually for the goatbros so they don't have shoes D:

yeah which means that if i put an item that makes it so that the shoes don't show up on the vanity set then the goatbros can't wear vanity items without armor D::

12. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Oooh I getcha, I didnt understand at first xD sorry

Cell Materia likes this.
  13. Antyrus

Antyrus Pangalactic Porcupine

I'd like to know where exactly you saw this, because I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that unless you dedicate two of the character gen sliders to horns, not even mentioning that sprite layers are hardcoded and can't be changed(as far as I know). For real tho if this is a thing that exists I want to know about it so I can dissect it right away.
    From what I understand, the plan here is:
    -One slider for skin(fur?) color
    -One slider for hair type
    -One slider for hair color
    -One unused slider
    You have at most four sliders for physical traits. The last unused slider can be used for two different scenarios(from what I understand that you want):
    1. Combine hair and horns into the same sprite. This allows you to use the last slider for horn color, or something else not mentioned.
    2. Use the last slider for horn type. This will always place the horns on top, so horns would have to be drawn with this in mind. This also means horn color can't be changed on it's own, but you CAN link it to hair or skin color, which I won't elaborate on unless asked.

Editing every single vanilla pants sprite to fit your species is a little heavy handed, since I'm pretty sure it'll effect all other races' clothes. That is, if you just remove the shoes, literally every character in the game will be running around barefoot, unless you find some way for it to only effect your race. I have a similar problem with my race mod, except worse, because my race doesn't even have legs.
    If you're a masochist you could go ahead and edit every clothing item in the game, implement them as seperate items, and make a crafting table that takes vanilla clothing item and crafts it into the goat version. You could sprite it as a big bonfire and call it "The In-shoe-nerator"
    floppy goat dongs

14. Roskii Heiral

lmao... goat dongs xD

You could still wear all the shirt and head vanity gear and some pants (dresses and things that are naturally shoeless). I think if you put some love into a few custom vanity legs people would probly prefer them anyway =D. really, the normal feet aren't bad looking at all and would save you alot of time if you're really concerned about being able to wear everything

Really looking forward to what you come up with =3

Cell Materia likes this.
  15. Marinebeast

Gonna have to remember this one. :')
    But yeah, item sprites are tied to the item and not the species of the race wearing them; if you remove shoes for a pants item, all races will not have shoes. That's just the sacrifice you make when your species has custom body features.

Anyways, regarding character creation, I'll break it down a bit from the .species file, based on the human files:

- Skin color: Self explanatory. Recolors x spectrum of defined colors on the body.
    - Hair style: Anything that goes on the head. Hair, tentacles, horns, etc.
    - Hair color: Recolors y spectrum of defined colors on the body.
    - Shirt: Starting shirt option.
    - Shirt color: Recolors x defined shirt colors.
    - Pants: Starting pants option.
    - Pants color: Recolors x defined pants colors.
    - Underwear Color: Recolors z spectrum of defined colors on the body.
    (Can also be replaced with other options, usually ones that are based off of the Hair Style options; I recommend referencing Apex files for this, because their special option is facial hair.)
    - Species: Defines character species. Cannot be changed or replaced, just put the species name here.
    - Personality: Defines idle sprite type. Cannot be changed or replaced, leave it as is.

So, yes, I would highly recommend that any hair/mane/fur stuff would be stuck under Hair style, and that you either 1. include horns in that so you can use the Underwear color for whatever else like markings or tattoos, or 2. you edit the Underwear color section to be "Horn type", basing it off of Apex files that layer an additional mask over the body. Because of limited options, I don't recommend making the horns separate; make them a coherent single sprite and just have a lot of variation.

Also, this is unrelated, but since I'm dabbling with weapons for a mod release right now, I might make a sword item for this mod? I already know what I'm going to be doing with it, and it'd probably be a low tier sword that can eventually be upgraded into a higher-tier one. I'll post with the files when I've got 'em done.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    Cell Materia likes this.
  16. Marinebeast

And, as promised, here's a happy little present!

The attached file includes just the sprites + .activeitem files, fully functional as they are, but it's up to whoever to make recipes and implement them. Spawn 'em in with admin commands if you want to test them as is, just be sure to put them in the correct place.
    (And that place would be (mod root folder)/items/active/weapons/melee/(folder for this weapon). Keep things tidy!)

The tier 1 / broken version is meant to be crafted early in the game, and then the tier 6 version is meant to have the tier 1 sword in its recipe, along with stuff like stardust and souls, all that good stuff. The tier 6 version may need to be tweaked for balance, its stats are by no means final and can be messed with as needed.
    Same with its ability, I just plopped on what made the most sense to me.. but be free to change as you see fit!
    Just credit me if these weapons are actually used further down the line, okay? ' u'

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(I've tweaked the weaponOffset on these a bit before the screenshots were taken.
    Feel free to mess with that, too.)

Anticipated questions answered in advance:

"But Marinebeast, why is it a broadsword? Asriel used two of them in his fight!"

Well, you're not the God of Hyperdeath, are you?
    It's not anywhere nearly as easy for mere mortals to dual-wield these things.

So you'll just have to settle for it being a broadsword.

"Why's it so big?"

Because 1. I seem to be really bad at making smaller weapons, and 2. boss monsters are really big and therefore use big weapons. Like, seriously, they're huge.
    If you want it smaller, go ahead and edit it as you see fit, or I can do that later. It's late at the time of posting this.

Attached Files:

Cell Materia and Roskii Heiral like this.
  17. Cell Materia

here's what i've got of the sprite sheet btw if anyone's curious!

also can anyone please point me to the direction of the apex asset files??? i don't know how to access it and google doesn't give me anything :(

[​IMG]

WHOOPS i uhhh WHOOPS WHOPS i guess an in-shoenerator thing would sound awesome???? but alot of work to implement too it's just i want a highly customisable race Dxxx

hmmm...i guesS??? like with the avali they have their own cloths. the thing is playing with custom races that don't fit the costumes makes it not excitable to found new clothing items in biomes =___=

[​IMG]

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA????????????!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!
    this is very good!!! thank you so much!! ^^ i will definitely get whoever programs this to implement it??? if you can come up with anymore weapons please let me know????

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    Roskii Heiral and Corraidhín like this.
  18. Roskii Heiral

starbound/humanoid/apex

If you haven't unpacked the assets yet, i'd recommend it =3

Also, really good looking sprites!! I just feel like they should have lil goat tailsX3

19. Marinebeast

Personal opinion on the sprites: they're too human like and look like they don't have any fur. Like, right now, they just look like humans with goat faces and paw feet.

That might just be because they're still a work in progress, but they could really use some fluff around the face, arms and legs. :0

(Lion-tailed boss monsters for master race, hehe--)

20. Cell Materia

when i unpack them they don't?????? unpack?????? into??????? image files?????? it's really confusing???? do you unpack the unpacked items too?????????

thank you! canonically they don't have tails... (looked at my toriel plush and cried) but i can make another version with tails????

yeah it's because that's the base color for the sprites right???? like, the game basically recolors them right? and uhhh uhhh the eyes can change colors too???????? ????????

[​IMG]
    here's ASS for reference. literally human shaped in cloths with hueg feet because he is a fiLTHY HOBBITSES