Other Under Shadow - An Apocalyptic Fic [chapter 80 added] Complete

Discussion in 'Fan Works' started by Skyloft-Farm, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Skyloft-Farm

Skyloft-Farm Void-Bound Voyager

Shane joined Najia, leaning against the hood of the car. The old green truck was parked, ready to go, beside her. John was carefully arranging their weapons in the bed of the truck.

“Ready to shop ‘til we drop?” Najia said with a smile.

“Good thing I don’t have to worry about you taking my credit card,” Shane said, crossing his arms.

Najia rolled her eyes. “That would suggest we’re dating and you have money for me to spend.”

“Gold digger,” Shane muttered.

Najia shrugged. “Hey, work it if you’ve got it.”

“Ha,” Shane laughed sharply.

Gil and Marlon made their way up the road, Kent and Alex trailing behind.

“We’ve got some more volunteers,” Marlon said as they joined John beside the truck.

“Couldn’t let you guys have all the fun,” Alex said.

“Well,” John said. “At least Kent can take care of himself.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Alex hissed.

“There’s no bitchin’ on the road,” John said. “Now let’s head out.”

“Shotgun,” Alex shouted, jumping into the car before Najia.

She rolled her eyes and got into the back seat as Shane slid in behind the wheel. Kent, Marlon, and Gil climbed into the truck as John secured the trailer.

They followed the truck through the mountains and out of the valley to the large department store in the town outside of the mountain range.

Najia grabbed one of the carts that was strewn around on the floor and ran down an aisle, jumping on the bottom bar and cruising along until the cart slowed to a stop.

“Mature,” Shane said as he followed her into the aisle.

Najia hurried around the corner, peering down each aisle she passed until the found what she was looking for.

She stared at the rows and rows of paints, brushes, and other drawing media, puzzled. Some read charcoal, while others read pastels. She shrugged and grabbed a few of everything and tossed it into the cart. She grabbed two large sketchbooks and an easel until she couldn’t put anything more in the cart.

She came around the corner, bumping into Shane. He peered at the items she had collected.

“For your girlfriend?” he asked.

Najia rolled her eyes and pushed the cart around him. “She likes to paint. Everyone needs an outlet to relieve some stress.”

“What’s yours?” Shane asked, following her.

“Shooting shit.” Najia pushed the cart up to one of the registers. She looked at the imaginary watch on her wrist, tapping her foot, before moving to the end.

“Are you insane?” Shane asked, watching her.

She met his gaze and smirked. “Just doing my duty as a good citizen.” She reached into her pocket and counted imaginary bills. “Can you spot me a twenty?”

“Sorry,” Shane said. “Didn’t bring my wallet.”

Najia shrugged and pushed the cart away. “Guess I’ll just have to borrow these things.” She grabbed a chocolate bar as she passed the display, ripping the wrapper open with her teeth. “They’re on me,” she called over her shoulder.

Slowly, the trailer began to fill with boxes upon boxes of canned goods, jugs of water, batteries, lanterns, flashlights, blankets and pillows, and other assorted furniture and items. Shane wandered the parking lot as the rest of the items were crammed into the trailer. A familiar shape caught his attention. His flashlight bounced over a familiar red Trans Am.

“No fucking way,” he muttered to himself. He ran over to the car and peered inside. The keys were still in the ignition. He pulled the door open and slid in. His hand hovered over the key for a moment before turning it. The car roared to life and Shane laughed excitedly.

He pulled up in front of the store in the red Trans Am. He leaned out the window, grinning at Najia.

“Where the hell did you find that?” Najia said.

“The next lot over,” he said, beaming. “It’s almost identical to my baby.”

Najia raised a brow. “Your baby?”

“That car got me out of the city,” Shane said, his smile disappearing for a moment. “Drove it until she finally died on me.” He met her gaze and his smile returned. “We’re keeping her.”

Najia shrugged. “All right,” she said. “But you better take care of her. Feed her and walk her. I want nothing to do with it.”

Shane reached across the car, pushing the door open for Najia as she made her way around. She slid into the passenger seat and looked around.

“It kind of smells,” she said.

“Good,” Shane said. “If you don’t like it, get out.”

“Oh, Yoba,” Najia muttered. “You’re in love with a car.”

Shane smiled and revved the engine.

“Do you two need a moment alone?”

“Yeah, probably.” Shane threw the car into gear and they sped out of the parking lot. The car skidded onto the road and Shane cut the wheel as the car spun donuts into the pavement.

Najia gripped the bar above her. “Christ, cool it, will ya?”

The car came to a jerking stop. Shane turned the vehicle around, flying down the road back into the parking lot.

“You’re a crazy fucking bastard,” Najia muttered.

“Oh, come on,” Shane said, leaning back in his seat with a sigh. “That was awesome.”

“I dated a dumb jock in high school that thought shit like that was awesome.”

“You wouldn’t understand,” Shane said simply. “I loved that car. It killed me when it died.”

“Really? That’s what upset you most about the end of the world?”

Shane shrugged. “Kinda.” He sighed. “It was all I had left. I was really alone after that.”

“Well,” Najia said. “If you really love her, I guess you can keep her.”

Shane met her gaze and smiled. “Geez, thanks, Babe. Glad I have your approval.”

Najia turned as John, Marlon, and Gil made their way to the truck one last time, securing everything they gathered in the trailer.

“Let’s get home,” John said. “I’ve had too much of this darkness already.”

They followed the truck through the streets as it made its way out of the town and back onto the highway. They hadn’t driven more than a mile when Najia noticed an unsettling fleck of lights ahead of them.

“Headlights?”

Shane and Najia peered through the windshield, slowing as the truck slowed in front of them.

“Who is that?” Shane whispered, as if not to be heard.

“More survivors?”

Their answered pinged off the bumper of the vehicles as the two other cars sped towards them. They watched as the truck jerked forward, the tires cutting into the dirt as the rear end spun around, dragging the trailer with it until it let go and slid across the road. Marlon and Gil leaned out the windows, guns in their hands as they took aim.

“Move!” John shouted to them as the truck sped by.

Shane threw the car into gear and followed suit, chasing after the truck as the two enemy vehicles closed in behind them.

“What the fuck,” Najia shouted as she shoved a magazine into her gun.

“Sit down,” Shane barked as Najia stood out of the t-top.

Najia fired at the two cars closing in behind them as Shane reached over and grabbed her pants, pulling her down.

“This isn’t the time to be taking my clothes off,” Najia muttered as she ducked back into her seat.

“Stay the fuck down,” Shane hissed as his eyes moved to the rearview mirror. Kent leaned out of the car behind them and proceeded to fire his gun as Alex drove.

“Listen,” Najia shouted to him. “Don’t fucking talk to me like that. You knew this could happen, so I have to do something.”

“Woman, don’t fucking argue with me right now.” His gaze shifted to the side mirror. “Take the wheel.”

“Are you fucking joking?”

“Take the damn wheel!”

Shane let go, keeping his foot on the accelerator as he fished for his gun. Najia took hold of the wheel, climbing over into his lap.

“Do not fucking enjoy this,” she muttered.

Shane scooted out from under her as her foot replaced his.

“Don’t flatter yourself,” he grunted as he stood out of the t-top, guns in hand, and started firing.

“Shane,” Najia called to him.

“What?” he barked.

“There’s no more ground left.”

The edge of the ground came into view as they neared the canyon. The green truck shot to the left, following the edge of the canyon.

“What the hell is he doing,” Najia muttered as he spun the wheel, following close behind. The Trans Am skidded around, nearing dangerously close to the cliff. Najia straightened out the vehicle and stepped hard on the gas.

Shane slid back into the seat beside her as he reloaded the guns. “Didn’t want to go all Thelma and Louise?”

“Not ready to give up just yet,” Najia muttered.

She followed the truck as the ground began to slope and the terrain grew rough. The truck sped down the easiest slope of the cliff, down into the canyon, kicking up dust and rocks in its wake, pinging at the Trans Am.

“Don’t hurt my car,” Shane hissed.

“I’ll get you another one,” Najia barked at him.

They neared the bottom of the canyon and the five vehicles sped down the edge of the rushing river. Bullets continued to fly and ping against the metal. The truck pulled to the right, into a cave in the cliff, and Najia and Alex followed suit.

Marlon smiled at them in the headlights. She peered through the windshield at the object in his hand.

“He’s gonna fucking kill us,” Shane muttered.

Marlon pulled the pin out of the grenade and his grin widened. He tossed it over the vehicles and dropped back into the Hummer.

“What the fuck,” Najia muttered.

Three long seconds passed before the grenade went off, blasting away the rock behind them. The two vehicles that chased them skidded in the cave. Metal scraped against rock as they fought to regain control. The ceiling broke away and caved in around them as they sped faster forward, crushing the cars behind them and creating a wall, separating the survivors from their prey.

The truck did not slow until the cave widened. The three vehicles came to a stop just before a small lake. A river twisted away from the lake and into the dark cave, fed by the high waterfall that was just a trickle from outside.

They climbed out of the cars, standing together in the light of the headlights.

“That was exciting,” Gil said with a smirk.

“You could have killed us,” Alex hissed to Marlon.

“But I didn’t.”

“How the hell are we supposed to get out of here?” Shane asked.

“We better find that trailer,” Najia muttered.

“Calm down,” John said. “I know this cave like the back of my hand. It’s served me well running from those brutes.” He turned towards the shallow river. “We follow this river back outside into the canyon.”

“Those weren’t brutes,” Kent said. “They were human.”

Najia met Shane’s uneasy gaze.

“Human?” Alex repeated. “Why the fuck were they trying to kill us?”

“Not everything is so black and white in war,” Kent hissed. “There are humans on the other team.”

“What could they possibly have to benefit from that?” Alex asked.

“Safety,” Kent said. “Protection.” He shrugged. “They picked the winning team. I would have, too.”

“Awesome,” Alex muttered. “This just keeps getting better.”

“Let’s get out of here,” John said, climbing back into the truck. “We don’t want to get caught in a cave in.”

Alex continued to mutter to himself as they made their way back to their vehicles. Shane slid into the driver’s seat and sighed.

“It wasn’t the government that kidnapped me,” Najia said softly, staring out into the dark cave. “They were people - humans - working with the Shadow People.”

Shane pinched his lips together as he followed the truck down the cave, following the edge of the river.

“They wanted to know about Stardew Valley so they could destroy it.”

“They don’t know where it is,” Shane reminded her.

Najia turned to him. “They’re probably looking for me. They saw me. They know I’m here, alive, and I’ll bring them right to the valley.”

“They’re crushed to death under a pile of rubble,” Shane said. “They won’t be able to follow you or report back to anyone that they saw you.”

Najia turned away and said nothing. She wasn’t as confident as Shane pretended to be.

Ardalis and Minimanta like this.
    • Skyloft-Farm

Just as John said, the tunnel opened up, bringing them back into the canyon where they were greeted by six dark vehicles, parked around the tunnel’s entrance. Men stood outside of their vehicles, weapons raised.

“Get out of your vehicles,” a voice barked.

Najia met Shane’s gaze as fear flashed across his face.

“We’re dead,” Najia muttered.

“Get out, now! Hands on your heads!”

Najia’s heart raced, throwing itself against her chest, begging her to turn and run.

“Don’t get out,” Shane said, his voice barely audible. His hand pushed her shoulder down as he got out of the car, hands in the air. He put them on his head as he stepped in front of the vehicle. Najia watched as the others stepped out, one by one, their hands on their heads.

“Cooperate, and we may spare your lives,” the voice said.

“Spare our lives?” Gil hissed. “You’re working with the enemy. And they want us all dead.”

“We’re not working with the Shadow People.”

Gil spat at the ground. “Bull fucking shit.”

“We have our own stake in this war. We’re looking for a woman.” He held up an image of Najia. Her face was bruised. Her eyes were swollen shut.

Najia’s heart thudded violently against her chest.

“Never seen ‘er,” Marlon said. “What do you want with that poor girl that’s worth beating her like that?”

The man lowered the picture. “She has information we need. Information that is of no concern to you.”

“Can’t help ya, Pal,” Gil said.

Najia watched as another man motioned to the Trans Am with his assault rifle.

“Hiding someone?”

The rifles cocked around them.

“Out of the car,” he growled. “Now.”

“There’s no one else here,” Shane hissed.

The rifle turned to him.

“You’ll be the first to drop,” the man barked to him.

Najia stumbled out of the car, her body shaking as she raised her arms in the air.

“Don’t.” Her voice was too soft. “Don’t,” she squeaked. She stepped into the headlights, in front of Shane.

“Najia.”

“I’m the one you want,” she said softly. “Please don’t hurt them.”

“Najia,” Shane barked at her.

“Take her,” the man grunted. “Shoot anyone the moment they step a toe out of line.”

Two men pushed forward, grabbing Najia violently and pushing her into one of the dark cars.

“What do you want with her?” Shane shouted.

The man raised his gun and fired at the vehicles, popping their tires. Air hissed out of them as the cars slunk to the ground, useless. He turned to them and smiled. “Thank you for your cooperation,” he said. “We’ll be on our way now.”

The men piled into their cars and sped away, leaving them alone in the canyon.

Shane’s body shook, his breathing shallow as he watched the headlights disappear. A rifle cocked. He closed his eyes as he felt the barrel at his head.

“You better start fucking talking,” John hissed.

“What makes you think I fucking know anything?” Shane spat at him.

“You know something. What do they want with my granddaughter?” His voice shook. “What are they going to do with her?”

Shane met his gaze. “I don’t know,” he muttered. “Why don’t you tell me what you know?”

He pushed the barrel of the gun into Shane. “Excuse me?”

“You’re the reason this happened,” Shane hissed. “Do you even know what happened to her in the city?”

The barrel backed off just slightly. “What are you talking about?”

“Before the invasion,” Shane said. “Najia was kidnapped. People who wanted to know about Stardew Valley.” He hesitated. “They beat her for information she didn’t have, all because you told her to come here. She had no idea they were working for the Shadow People. She escaped, and they’ve been looking for her ever since.”

“I don’t understand,” John muttered, lowering his rifle. “How would they know that I told her about Stardew Valley?”

Shane shrugged. “Spies?” He shook his head. “She escaped the city, and the invasion happened right after that.” He sucked in a breath. “And now they have her.”

“They said they weren’t with the Shadow People,” Alex said.

“They’re lying,” Gil hissed. “They can’t be trusted.”

“Maybe not,” Kent said, shaking his head. “This war is bigger than we realize. This isn’t human versus Shadow People.”

“What do you mean?” Marlon asked.

Kent hesitated. “They could be from the Gotoro Empire. When I was oversees, we had intel of a possible invasion. We were fighting with the Gotoro, joining our armies. But they had other ideas. They wanted in on the invasion, to act as double agents. They thought they could destroy the Shadow People from the inside. They wanted to team up with the Dwarves, who had driven the Shadow People out of their homes in the first place and started this mess.”

“Let me get this straight,” Alex said. “Us, the Ferngill Republic, are in a war with the Shadow People, and at war with the Gotoro Empire and their Dwarven allies?”

“Something like that,” Kent said.

“So, what’s the deal with them and the Dwarves? Are they good guys or bad guys?”

Kent shook his head. “I don’t think it’s that simple,” he said. “They want to bring down the Shadow People just as much as we do. And while they’re not our enemies, we will quickly become the enemy if we get in their way and try to stop them from eliminating the Shadow People.”

“I don’t understand,” Alex said. “We both want the same things, don’t we?”

“The Dwarves are the reason the Shadow People attacked in the first place,” Kent said. “They’re not exactly innocent good guys. They should have kept to their damn selves.”

“So,” Alex started. “There’s good guys, bad guys, and basically asshole guys?”

“The good, the bad, and the ugly,” Marlon muttered.

Shane turned anxiously toward where the Gotoro army disappeared with Najia. “What’s the plan?” he said, his voice hard. “They’re getting away with her.”

“They won’t kill her,” Kent said.

“They’ll beat her until she dies,” Shane hissed.

“What do they want with her and Stardew Valley?” John asked.

Kent shook his head. “I don’t know. Likely just information. Anything that they can use to destroy the Shadow People.”

“They can’t just ask nicely?” Alex muttered.

“They don’t do anything nicely,” Kent said. “This war has become so twisted, no one can trust anyone else. They know what they need and they’ll do what they have to do to get it and end the war.”

“There goes my plan of knocking on their door and asking for her back,” Alex said.

“I have an idea of where they could have taken her,” Kent said.

“Great,” Shane muttered. “Let’s just drive on over there.” He gestured to the flat tires.

“And pick up our lost trailer while we’re at it,” Alex said.

“We’ll have to hoof it,” Marlon said.

“Where are we going?” John asked Kent.

“They have a base on the southern coast,” Kent said. “If we drive fast, straight through, we can get there in two days.”

“We can get back to the store” John said. “Get ourselves some cars there.”

Shane turned and started walking the edge of the river, back to where they entered the canyon. The five other men followed suit.

Within a couple of hours, they had hiked their way out of the canyon and made their way back onto the interstate. They followed the road back into town where they scoured for three more vehicles.

“Found an open one,” Marlon called from across the lot.

Shane slid in and hot wired the car. The engine sputtered to life. He searched the lot until he found a truck with the windows smashed open. He peered around inside before reaching in and opening the door. He hot wired it easily and closed the door behind him, sinking into the seat and sighing. He fiddled with the items left in the center console. A wallet with a license, a couple of bills, and a condom. Shane examined the picture on the license and rolled his eyes.

“Yeah, I bet you got laid a lot, dude,” he muttered to himself. He tossed the wallet onto the floor and fished through the glove compartment. He pulled out a cigar and a book of CDs. He flipped through them, disinterested, before searching the compartment for a lighter. He lit the cigar and sighed.

“You gonna share that?” Marlon asked as he passed the truck. He leaned against the door.

Shane shrugged and passed him the cigar.

Marlon peered at it for a moment. “Not what I thought you were smoking,” he said casually. “But, it’ll do.”

Two vehicles pulled up in front of them. John leaned out the car in front. “Let’s go,” he grunted to them.

Marlon slid into the car with Gil and the three vehicles pulled out of the parking lot, heading south towards the Gotoro base.

• Skyloft-Farm

The five men peered over the rock wall, just on the outskirts of the woods. They had left their vehicles hidden in some over growth as they neared the Gotoro base, walking the rest of the way through the forest. Wood fences stretched high around their base with barbed wire at the top. Armed men took guard at the entrances and marched around the wall.

“They’re not fucking around,” Alex muttered. “Where the hell is our army?”

Kent narrowed his eyes at Alex. “You think if we had an army left, I’d be here?”

“So, we’re the losers in this war?”

“You should be grateful you made it this far,” Kent mumbled.

“How do we get in?” John asked. “And how do we find Najia?”

“Getting in will be a lot easier than finding her,” Kent said.

“Whats the plan?” John pressed.

Kent pulled some rope out of his bag and proceeded to tie Alex’s wrists together. “Follow my lead.”

He tied their wrists in loose knots, grabbed Gil’s rifle, and pushed them out of the woods and onto the road.

The two soldiers that guarded the entrance looked up as Kent appeared around the corner with his four captives.

“More?” one of the men said, raising an eyebrow.

“Busy day?” Kent asked.

“Found that woman,” the man said. “Just brought her in not too long ago.”

Kent shifted the rifle in his arms, pushing it into Alex’s back. “Well, maybe they will be of use. They know of Stardew Valley.”

The guard grunted and waved a group of men over to them. “Bring them to Michaels,” he said.

Kent nodded as he followed the captives into the gate, but the soldier put a hand on his shoulder, stopping him.

“We have orders not to let in any grunts.”

“Excuse me?” Kent said sharply. “I found these fucking guys.”

“Then get back out there and do your fucking job.”

Kent jerked his arm out from under the guard’s hold. He watched helplessly as a group of men lead his team into the city. Alex looked back over his shoulder as they disappeared around the corner.

“Fucking awesome,” he muttered.

The Gotoro soldiers pushed them onward until they entered the back of a building where they passed a set of guards who didn’t even acknowledge their presence. The building was brightly lit and they blinked their eyes until they adjusted. They walked through the building, as gates opened and closed behind them until they were shoved into a large jail cell. Without a word, the soldiers locked the door and left them alone in the dim cell.

“Kent will find a way in,” John muttered as he pressed himself against the cell door, peering around the corner as best as he could.

“I’m not waiting for his rescue,” Shane hissed. He pulled two pins out of his pocket and slid his arms through the bars in an attempt to pick the lock.

“And then what?” Alex asked. “We raid this huge place?”

“I don’t have my rifle,” Gil muttered.

“We’ve got our guns still,” John said. “Stupid of them not to check.”

“They must have figured Kent took care of that,” Alex said.

Shane froze as a door slammed from around the corner. He slid his arms back inside the cell, listening as two men spoke.

“She won’t talk,” the first voice said.

“We’ve got four others from the valley,” the second said. “Maybe they’ll have information.”

“What do we do with the woman?”

“Kill her.”

“Michaels doesn’t want her dead,” the voice hissed.

“Then get her to start talking, at any cost.”

“Where are the others?”

“In the back cell.”

Footsteps echoed off the walls as the two men rounded the corner. They stopped in front of the cell, their arms crossed.

“Well, well, well,” the first voice said. “Look who got out of the canyon.” He shook his head as if disappointed. “I knew we should have just killed you while we had the chance.” He sighed. “Unfortunately, we’ll need you alive for just a little longer, hm?” He narrowed his eyes. “Someone’s missing. Where’s your friend?” He turned to the soldier beside him. “This is a set up. Find the other man. I want every soldier on patrol looking for him.”

The man nodded and hurried out to deliver the message.

The first man smiled at them. “Maybe I’ll have the pleasure of seeing you die after all.” He turned away and disappeared around the corner. The door slammed and clicked locked behind him.

Shane shoved his arms through the cell again, working frantically to pick the lock.

“Next time, we need a plan B,” Alex muttered.

“Get us out of here,” John hissed.

“I’m trying,” Shane grunted. He bit his lower lip as he felt around with the pins, his view blocked by the bars. No matter how he strained his neck, he couldn’t see enough of what he was doing. Finally, the lock clicked and the cell door swung open.

At that moment, red lights began to flash silently along the walls. They pulled out their guns, keeping them in front of them as they hurried down the hall and around the corner. On the other side of the door, two men stood guard.

“We’re going to kill humans,” Alex muttered. “Humans…”

“If you don’t, you’ll die,” Marlon hissed at him.

“They’re not Shadow Brutes,” Alex said. “They’re people. They’re supposed to be the good guys.”

“Snap out of it,” Gil said to him, grabbing his shoulder. “Its kill or be killed. You’ve got this, kid.”

Alex tightened his grip on his gun. “I never thought I would have to shoot another man again,” he muttered.

Shane kicked open the door, Marlon at his side, and they each grabbed one of the guards, catching them by surprise. Shane shoved his gun into the man’s back, firing once, and let the body slump to the floor. Marlon took out the other guard just as easily.

Shane stepped over the body and out the door, searching quickly for any sign of Najia.

“Where do we go now?” Alex muttered.

Shane peered into the corner of the room and shot at the security camera.

“Maybe we can find the room where all the security footage is,” John said, staring at the camera as it sparked.

“Front of the building,” Marlon said. “I think I saw some guards sitting at some screens.”

Marlon lead the way as they hurried into the main hallway and back around into the main lobby where they were brought in, keeping close to the wall as he peered around the corner.

“One, two, three… nine. Shoot them all,” he said. “Now.”

They leaned around the corner, firing immediately at their targets. The soldiers drew their guns and returned fire, but were quickly brought down. They sprinted across the room just as more soldiers rounded the corner, their guns drawn. They fired at the escapees.

Shane threw himself behind a desk as he reloaded. He peered around it, firing at the closest target. Within seconds, the room was cleared once more. They ran the rest of the way across the room to where the soldiers had emerged from the security room.

The wall was lined with screen after screen of black and white images. They searched each one quickly until they found Najia. She was slumped over in a chair, not moving.

“Where is that?” Shane hissed.

Alex peered at the controls at the computer, searching for any indication of what room she was in. “Basement level,” he said. “C’mon.”

They followed him quickly out of the room and around the corner down a dimly lit hall until they reached a stairwell. He jumped over the rail onto the next flight of steps as it wound it’s way down into the basement. They hurried down another hallway and through the door at the end. The door opened into another hallway, stretching to the left and to the right of them. In front of them, just to the right, was another door. The knob twitched and it opened. The man stepped out and smiled at them.

“Oh,” he said. “Are you here for her?”

Shane raised his gun and shot him. The man collapsed to the ground.

“We could have tricked him,” Alex muttered. “He didn’t have a clue.”

Shane pushed past Alex, stepping over the body and into the room. But it was empty.

His heart raced as his eyes scanned the room. Papers were scattered over a desk on the far side against the wall. Implements lay scattered on a metal table. He froze as he felt a blade against his throat. He met Alex’s confused gaze.

“What are you doing?” John hissed.

“You can’t kill me,” Najia shouted. “I won’t let you.”

Shane grabbed Najia’s arm and flipped her over onto the ground. He pinned her to the floor as she squirmed violently under him.

“No,” she shouted. “I’ll do it. I’ll jump again.”

“Najia, stop,” Shane hissed. He pressed his gun against her and she froze.

“I’ll tell you anything,” she said, staring into his eyes. “I’ll tell you everything.”

“We need to get her out of here,” Marlon warned.

“We’re getting you out of here, Najia,” Shane said.

“Please,” she sobbed. “Don’t hurt them. Don’t kill Shane.”

Shane loosened his grip on her, but Najia was quick to react, pulling him into her and bashing her head against him. She scrambled to her feet just as Gil and Marlon threw themselves on top of her. Marlon covered her nose and mouth with a cloth and she quickly lost consciousness.

Shane groaned as Alex helped him to his feet. His head throbbed painfully where she hit him.

“Kudos to Najia,” Alex said with a smirk.

“Shut up,” Shane hissed.

Marlon threw Najia’s body over his shoulder. “Now,” he said with a grunt. “How the hell are we going to get out of here alive?”

• Skyloft-Farm

The building started to shake around them as they hurried back up the stairwell. Muffled explosions could be heard through the walls as they reached the ground floor. They ran down the hallway and around the corner, back into the empty lobby. Marlon put Najia on the floor as she began to groan and slow come to.

“It’s too quiet in here,” Alex said. “Where is everyone?”

The explosions from outside were louder in the lobby. They peered out the nearest window as a tank moved through the city. The soldiers were firing at the tank as it moved down the road.

“Did Kent get his hands on a fucking tank?” John muttered.

Najia groaned louder as his eyes fluttered open. She turned onto her side, gasping, before vomiting on the floor.

“We need to get her to Harvey,” Marlon said, kneeling at her side as she collapsed onto the floor.

“We seem to be clear here,” Gil said. “The cars aren’t far, and the wall is likely unguarded with Kent causing a scene.”

“I can get one of the cars,” Alex said.

“Go,” John said. “We don’t have a lot of time.”

They waited in the empty lobby, watching the battle unfold outside. Another tank approached, firing at the first tank, until the two tanks were firing at one another. The soldiers climbed the first tank, dragging Kent out of the hatch on top and throwing him onto the ground.

“Christ,” Gil muttered, taking his pistol out of his pocket.

“Don’t go out there,” Marlon hissed. “You’ll draw attention to us.”

“They’re going to fucking kill him,” Gil barked. He pushed open the front door.

“Shit,” Marlon muttered, throwing Najia back over his shoulder. “I’m getting her out of here.”

“We’ll hold them off,” John said.

“Get Gil back in here now before you all get killed.”

Shane hesitated, watching as John ran out the front door, and Marlon out the back with Najia over his shoulder. He chased after John, watching as Gil fired aimlessly into the battle below them.

The tank turned its aim onto the men in front of the building and began to fire. Shane threw himself onto the ground as the missiles flew into the building. Shrapnel erupted around them. He looked up just as a man pointed a gun at Kent’s head. The man looked up at them and smiled wickedly as he pulled the trigger. Kent’s body fell over, limp.

Shane’s breath caught in his throat as the battle turned to them.

“Move,” John shouted to Shane as he pulled Gil’s arm.

They sprinted back into the building as the tank continued to fire. The walls and ceiling of the building began to crumble around them as they made their way across the lobby and out the back. They ran along the wall until they found a tattered shirt hanging, tied to a tree branch.

“Alex,” John said. He climbed the tree to the branch that hung just over the wall and jumped down on the other side. Gil and Shane followed quickly, dashing into the woods towards the cars.

They found Alex and Marlon just outside the woods, up the road. They crammed themselves in quickly as Alex sped the car around, back to where the other two waited.

“What about Kent?” Alex asked.

“Kent’s dead,” John barked at him.

Alex stared at the man beside him blankly.

“Drive, kid, drive.”

Najia groaned in the back seat, her body stretched out across the three men in the back. Her eyes fluttered open once more, meeting Marlon’s gaze.

“Please don’t head bash me,” he muttered.

Najia blinked at him. Her eyes moved along to Shane, then to Gil. She sighed and closed her eyes. “You roofied me, didn’t you?”

Alex stopped the car beside the other two, waiting just where they had left them. Marlon helped Najia out of the car and into the front seat of the truck.

“What happened?” she muttered.

“Don’t you worry about it,” Marlon said. “We’re getting you home.”

She winced as Shane slammed the door beside her. He leaned out the window, talking low to Marlon before he got into the car with Gil. The truck engine roared to life and they pulled out of their hiding spot, speeding down the road.

Najia watched Shane as he drove. His brows were knit together and his face twisted in a mix of emotions. She noticed the red lump on his forehead.

“What happened to you?” she mumbled.

He didn’t look at her. “You skull bashed me.”

Najia stared blankly at him. “I what?”

He shook his head. “How are you feeling? Are you okay?”

“I feel like shit,” Najia groaned. “Why do I feel like shit?”

“A number of reasons, I’d suspect,” Shane said. “You were drugged.”

“Drugged?” she repeated. “By who?”

“The Gotoros,” He hesitated. “And Marlon.”

“Marlon drugged me?”

“You were kind of trying to kill us,” he muttered.

“What?”

Shane shook his head. “It doesn’t matter.”

Najia pushed herself up in her seat. “It does matter.” She paused. “I don’t remember anything after being thrown into some jail cell.”

Shane finally turned to her, looking her up and down. “The Gotoro Empire is working with the Dwarves,” Shane said, turning back to the road, illuminated only by their headlights.

“Why?”

“To fight the Shadow People. Except their methods are twisted and backwards. I still don’t know what they think they could get from Stardew Valley, but they’ll do anything to get to it.”

“They asked me all these questions.” Najia hesitated. “I can’t remember. I didn’t know what they wanted from me.”

Shane’s gaze drifted to the rear view mirror.

“Thanks for coming after me,” Najia said softly. “Would have saved you a lot of trouble if you just left me, though.”

Shane’s gaze moved back to the road.

“Is everyone okay? My grandfather?”

Shane nodded.

“What’s wrong?”

Shane gritted his teeth together. “Kent was murdered,” he said.

“Murdered? What do you mean?”

“Fucking animals,” he said. “He was helpless and they just shot him right in the head. Just to make a point.”

Najia’s stomach twisted. “Oh my Yoba,” she said. She leaned out the window and vomited. “This is all my fault,” she sobbed.

“Stop,” Shane growled. “This isn’t anyone’s fault.” He sighed and turned to Najia. “You should sleep or something until we get you to Harvey.”

They arrived back in Stardew Valley without incident, parking the vehicles just outside of the tunnel. They walked through the dark tunnel in silence, not bothering to light their way with their flashlights. Their footsteps echoed eerily off the stone walls around them.

“I saw him,” Alex said quietly. “When I was heading for the cars. Fucking tank. Thought I was dead until Kent popped out of it. I told him what happened. Where you guys were. He said he would make a distraction so we could escape.”

No one responded to him. They continued to walk on in silence, somber. When they emerged from the tunnel, they squinted into the bright sunlight, their eyes still not quite adjusted. Their footsteps turned soft as they made their way down the dirt road into the little town where everyone was gathered in the late afternoon light.

They turned to them as the team approached, delight on their faces to see them home safe, but their joy quickly disappeared as the team trudged forward, dirty and solemn.

Jodi was the first to speak, her voice shaking; panicked. “Kent. Where’s Kent.” It wasn’t a question. She already knew the answer. Her breathing shook as the team looked to one another, waiting for someone to answer.

“Jodi,” Marlon began, but he did not need to finish.

“No,” she said softly, shaking her head. “No, no, no.” Her voice rose as the tears began to stream down her cheeks. “No!” Her legs shook and she fell to her knees, sobbing.

Vincent ran to his mother’s side, crying softly. “Mama,” he said. “What’s wrong, Mama? Where’s Daddy, Mama?”

Jodi pulled her youngest son into her chest and sobbed into his messy locks. Sam watched at Sebastian’s side, staring at his mother, his face pale as her sobs grew.

“Don’t cry, Mama,” Vincent cried. He pulled away and tried to wipe her tears with his little hands. “Don’t cry,” he sobbed.

Sam turned away silently, his hands clenched into fists at his side, his breathing short.

“Sam,” Sebastian started, raising his hand to his friend’s shoulder, but Sam pulled away and made his way to the forest.

Jas ran across the square towards Shane. Shane picked up the girl, wincing slightly as he kissed her forehead.

“You’re way too big for this,” he whispered to her.

She wrapped her arms around his neck and rested her head against him. “Not today,” she said.

Najia blinked back the tears in her eyes and turned away from the group. She wandered aimlessly back to the farm until her vision was too blurred to see. She found the front steps of her grandfather’s cabin and sat down, sobbing into her hands until she felt a hand on her shoulder. John smiled at his granddaughter as she peered at him through her wet eyes.

“It’s not fair,” she muttered.

“War isn’t fair, Rōśanī,” he said softly.

Minimanta likes this.
          • Skyloft-Farm

Harvey peered once more into Najia’s eyes, double and triple checking as her pupils grew and shrunk.

“I said I’m fine,” Najia muttered, pulling her head away from the light.

“The drugs they had you on are serious stuff,” Harvey said. “They can be very harmful if not used correctly.” He paused as he flipped through his notes. “How long were you vomiting for?”

“The whole drive home,” Shane said, standing in the door way, his arms crossed.

Najia groaned and leaned back against the hospital bed.

“I can’t exactly run a lot of tests and blood work,” Harvey said, turning to the monitors. “But I think it’s safe to say that there’s been no harm done.” He peered into her eyes once more. “You have a thick skull.”

“Tell me about it,” Shane muttered.

“You,” Harvey said, pointing to a chair. “Sit.”

“No, no,” Shane said, shaking his head. “I’m fine.”

Harvey turned back to his notes. “You have a concussion.”

“No I don’t.”

Harvey narrowed his eyes at him. “This is the easiest thing to recognize. You need to sit.”

“I ran through the fucking woods and drove across the country just fine,” Shane hissed.

“Men,” Najia muttered.

“You’re staying over night,” Harvey said to Najia. “For observation.” He turned back to Shane. “If you have any headaches, vomiting, vertigo, blood in your ears, or anything out of the ordinary, you come here.”

Shane saluted him. “Yes, sir.”

Harvey made his way across the room with his paperwork, sitting behind his desk and shuffling through the papers there.

Shane sat beside Najia, kicking his feet up onto the bed and sighed.

“So,” Najia started. “Why did I attack you again?”

Shane smiled. “You thought we were the bad guys. Thought we were gonna kill you or something.”

“Some drugs.”

“You threatened to jump out the window again. Wouldn’t have gotten you far since you were in the basement.”

Najia hesitated. “Is my grandfather okay?”

“He almost shot me.”

Najia met his gaze. “Why?”

“He thought I was hiding something from him, about why they took you.” Shane let his feet drop to the floor and he leaned forward. “You know, that’s the third time he threatened my life. Tell him the bit is getting old.”

Najia smiled. “You’re just an easy target.”

Shane leaned back against the chair and crossed his arms. “Well, stop getting into trouble, because one of these days, I think he’ll actually shoot me.”

At that moment, the door opened, and John peered inside, smiling at his granddaughter.

“How are you feeling?” he asked her.

“Fine,” she said.

Shane stood and let himself out. “See ya later,” he called over his shoulder.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes.”

John sat down. “Why didn’t you tell me what happened in the city?”

Najia looked at her feet. “I don’t know,” she said softly. “I didn’t even know what was happening. I thought it was all some kind of mistake. I thought they were just part of our government. None of it makes sense.”

John nodded. “Don’t keep secrets from me, okay? If I had known-”

“What could you have done?” Najia met his gaze.

“I wouldn’t have let you go out on the raid with us.”

“You still would have been attacked.”

“But they wouldn’t have found you.”

Najia turned away again. “Stop pointing guns at Shane,” she muttered.

John smiled. “Is that why he was here? To cry to you?”

Najia narrowed her eyes at her grandfather. “What’s your problem with him?”

“Every time something goes wrong, he just always seems to be conveniently there. Especially when it involves you.”

“He’s the one that stops things from getting worse,” she said. She shrugged. “He tries to, anyway.”

“Yeah,” John said with a sigh. “I know. He’s protective of you. That’s my job.”

Najia met his gaze and smiled.

“Even more reason for me to threaten him,” he said, getting to his feet. “Because he needs to know that if he fucks up and you get hurt, he’s going down.”

“Grandpa.”

John held a hand up. “You need some rest. I’ll see you in the morning.”

“Goodnight.”

“Goodnight, Rōśanī.”

Najia watched as John and Marlon drove down the tunnel in search of their lost trailer just outside the valley. She made her way towards the farm as Sam walked towards her. His brows were knit together in fury.

“Sam-”

“You’re the reason my father is dead,” Sam spat at her.

Najia hesitated. “No, Sam. I’m so sorry. I had no idea.”

“He was saving all of your asses out there,” he hissed. “Because you guys fucked up.”

“Sam.” Najia’s heart raced. He was furious with her. “Things didn’t go as planned. We didn’t know that… that…”

“That what? That he was going to put his life on the line so you could escape?”

“No one told him to do that,” she sobbed. “Sam… I’m so sorry…”

Sam stepped closer to her, backing her into a tree. “You’re sorry?” he hissed. “You dragged us all into this mess. Are you sorry for that?”

“Sam-”

“Who else has to die because of you?”

There was a metallic click coming from the end of the road as a gun was cocked, but Sam did not waver.

“Back off, Sam,” Shane’s voice hissed.

Sam’s gaze shot towards Shane. “Go ahead,” he said. “Shoot me.”

Shane shot at the ground by Sam’s feet.

“You’re a shitty shot,” he muttered.

Shane cocked the gun again. “At least I know what a Glock is.”

Sam’s fingers curled into fists at his side.

“Put the gun down,” Lewis barked from behind Shane, but Shane did not budge.

“Get away from her,” he growled.

Sam raised his hands in defense, stepping away. He narrowed his gaze on Shane before turning away from them, storming off down the tunnel.

“If I see one more person raise a gun around here,” Lewis shouted, “you will be banished from the valley. Now get back to work.”

Shane pocketed his gun and made his way to Najia. “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine,” she muttered, turning away.

“I should have-”

“I can take care of myself, Shane,” Najia hissed at him.

Shane watched her carefully. “I know.”

“I don’t need you to babysit me.”

“I wasn’t.”

“Just stay away from me,” Najia stammered. She started to walk away, but Shane pulled her back to him.

“It’s not your fault,” he said to her.

Najia pinched her lips and looked at her feet. “It’s all-”

Shane pulled her closer. “Stop saying that.”

“Why?”

“Because you’re wrong.”

Najia sighed and looked down the tunnel where Sam disappeared. She leaned into Shane’s chest. He wrapped his arms around her as she cried into him.

Minimanta likes this.
            • Skyloft-Farm

Najia pulled the sketchbooks out of the trailer eagerly. John and Marlon had just returned with the trailer the next morning, grateful to be back in the safety of the valley. Najia brought the sketchbooks to the forest where Leah and Abigail stood outside their newly built cabin.

“What do you think?” Leah asked, turning to her. “I convinced them to do ours first. Right by the lake.”

“Good timing,” Najia said, holding out the sketchbooks. “I got you a house warming gift on our raid.”

Leah’s eyes lit up as she took the sketchbooks from Najia. “Seriously?”

Najia smiled. “And paints and brushes and some weird kind of crayons.”

Leah wrapped her arms about Najia. “I can’t believe you did that,” she said.

Najia shrugged. “I just wanted to see some of your art.”

Leah smiled and turned to Abigail. “You’ll have to be my model,” she said.

Abigail rolled her eyes. “Why me?”

“Because we’re roomies now.”

“Fine,” she muttered. “But no nudies.”

Over the next few days, another cabin was erected, just outside of the forest for Jodi, Sam, and Vincent. Jodi was too eager to lock herself away as soon as she could, still mourning the death of her husband. Sam, on the other hand, had retreated into his own shell, hardly speaking a word to anyone, working on his own with whatever needed to be done.

Najia and Leah made their way to the farm once more, ready to spend the day tending to the fall crops, falling back into their usual, comforting routine. Corn, yams, and pumpkins had been planted over the last few days, so they spent their morning watering and weeding. As noon approached, the men made their way to the farm casually, eager to take a break from their construction.

Najia stretched out on the grass beside Leah and sighed. She rolled over on to her stomach, her chin in her hands as she watched everyone mill about casually. They snacked on apples and talked cheerfully to one another.

The breeze picked up around them, sending a chill up Najia’s spine. She turned her face to the sun but did not find its warmth. She peered into the sky, expecting to see a cloud moving in front of the sun, but instead a dark haze seemed to move in around them.

The all too familiar dark purple haze moved in quickly, covering the sun and clouding the valley in darkness. Najia shuffled to her feet, her heart racing as the world darkened. The eerie sound of hissing filled the air quickly. She stiffened, not daring to breathe as she listened to the hissing of the Shadow People. The sound grew louder, cackling; they were laughing. The hissing filled her ears and disoriented her. She couldn’t tell where they were. The sounds moved around her, closer and further and closer again.

Najia saw the flash before she heard the gun go off, but she couldn’t tell who had fired. The creatures continued to hiss loudly, unaffected by the gunshot. Another shot went off, this time from a different source. The creatures shrieked. No, it was human. A woman.

Three more shots fired and the screaming grew. Another followed. Jas. Another gun shot, and the screaming stopped, but the hissing grew.

“No!” Shane’s voice. Najia couldn’t tell where he was. “Don’t fucking shoot!”

The humans were silent, listening; waiting. The hissing stopped.

“Don’t shoot!” Shane barked.

The seconds dragged on as the silence grew, overbearing. Najia could hear her pulse pounding in her ears. She strained to hear beyond it. There was a grunt and a thud. Another gun shot. A creature shrieked and fell silent.

“We’re going to die,” Najia muttered.

“Hold your fire,” Marlon shouted from across the field. “Hold!”

Najia gripped the butt of her dagger and waited. She spun around when she heard rustling in the crops behind her and saw the familiar green eyes glowing in the darkness. The creature lunged at her, but Najia let the dagger tear across her, and the creature fell limp.

She worked to steady her breathing, listening once more. There were more grunts and thuds. Another gunshot followed, flashing in the darkness.

And then in a blinding flash, the haze disappeared and the strong sunlight returned. The Shadow People shrieked violently as the light touched them. With no escape, they quickly burst into flames, falling to the ground in an ashy, burning heap.

The humans looked on, horrified. Najia could not pull her gaze away from the smoldering ashes. Her stomach twisted as she returned her dagger to the sheath on her hip. Shane’s distorted voice brought her back to reality. She looked up to see him on his knees, Jas in his lap, and her heart stopped. Before she could react, Marnie, Lewis, and Harvey blocked her view as they ran to Jas.

Najia spun around as Emily screamed. Emily was knelt over Clint, her hands over her mouth as she sobbed. The man lay in a pool of his own blood, seeping out from around him.

“Clint!” she yelled, but he did not respond.

Najia felt frozen to the ground as panic erupted around her. Haley and Sandy ran to Emily’s side. Harvey looked over his shoulder, his face anxious.

“Najia!”

Leah’s voice grounded her for a moment. She met Leah’s gaze, still struck with horror.

“Come on,” she said, pulling at Najia’s arm, but Najia did not move.

“What happened,” she muttered, less of a question but a shocked response. “I don’t understand.”

John hurried to their side. He held his granddaughter’s chin and looked hard into her eyes. “We’re fine,” he said to her. “We’re okay, Rōśanī.”

John turned to Leah, but Najia could not focus on his words. His hand left her face and he hurried out of the farm and into the forest.

Najia followed the tree line until her gaze was back on Clint. Harvey was at his side now, taking his pulse, shaking his head. His face was pained. Haley pulled Emily away as she sobbed.

Najia found Shane once more. He was smiling. Jas was alive. His eyes didn’t move from the young girl, oblivious to what was happening around them.

Najia let Leah pull her across the farm, stepping around the shadow corpses in the process. Najia followed aimlessly down the dirt road and towards the community center where she collapsed onto the couch. She leaned her head on Leah’s shoulder and sobbed.

After a few minutes, the door opened once more, causing Najia and Leah to jump. Sebastian, Maru, Penny, Abigail, and Demetrius practically stumbled in, still in shock. Right behind them followed Willy, Alex, Gunther, and Elliott, their faces pale.

“What happened?” Maru’s voice shook.

“The Shadow People,” Elliott said.

“How did they get into the valley like that?” Abigail asked. “I thought we were safe here.”

They sat together absentmindedly as they tried to sort out the event that had just unfolded before their eyes.

“He’s dead,” Najia sobbed. “Clint’s dead.”

Leah’s hand was around Najia’s.

They stayed there, mumbling amongst each other, confused, until John, Lewis, and Linus finally entered. Their faces were torn between exhaustion, confusion, and fear.

“What happened?” Leah asked.

John shook his head. “I’m not quite sure,” he said, hesitant. “I went to see Rasmodius… Harvey is tending to him. He mustered up all his strength to bring the light back for us. But I don’t know what happened. He was out cold when I got to him.”

“They know we’re here,” Abigail said. “They know about the valley.” Her voice was panicked.

“How did this happen?” Elliott asked.

“What are we supposed to do now?”

“We’re not safe here anymore.”

John exchanged an uneasy glance with Lewis and Linus.

“I don’t know,” John said simply. “I don’t know.”

They remained in the community center well into the night, none of them eager to step outside alone. All they could do was wait until Rasmodius came to to give them answers.

Najia was too anxious to stay in the community center any longer. She hadn’t seen Shane or Marnie, and she worried for Jas. She made her way to the med cabin. Shane was sitting beside Jas when Najia entered. He held her little hand, his thumb running over her fingers as he watched her sleep.

“How is she?” Najia asked, still standing in the door way.

Shane met her gaze and smiled. “She’s fine.”

Najia pulled up a chair and sat on it backwards, letting her chin rest against the back of the chair. “You look like you need a coffee,” she said.

“If by coffee you mean beer, then yes.”

“She’s out cold,” Najia muttered. “What happened?”

Shane hesitated. “I don’t really know,” he said. “She said one of those brutes grabbed her and that’s all she remembered.”

Najia nodded absentmindedly.

“I’m going to kill all of them,” Shane said softly, staring intently on Jas. “Every last one of those bastards. They won’t get away with any of this.”

“Just say when,” Najia said.

Shane met her gaze once more, his brows knit together. “I don’t think so,” he said. “You’re staying here.”

“You can’t tell me what to do.”

“Look,” Shane said, matter of factly. “I can’t see anyone else die. So, you can’t come.”

“I’m not going to die,” Najia said, rolling her eyes.

“Right, because you’ll be here.”

“Don’t be stupid,” Najia said. “You’ll need help.”

“No I don’t.”

“Then what if you die?” Najia hissed. “You’re really going to do that to Jas?”

“She’s all I have,” he said quietly. “I will do anything to keep her safe.”

“Being dead doesn’t exactly help her.”

Shane sighed and looked at his feet. “You being dead doesn’t help me.”

Najia watched Jas as she slept peacefully. “This has been the week from hell,” she muttered.

Minimanta likes this.
              • Skyloft-Farm

John was at his bedside when Rasmodius awoke the next day, pained and exhausted.

“I don’t know how it happened,” he said weakly, answering John’s questions. “They were able to get through the valley’s power. I did all I could to push the darkness away.”

“You saved us all,” John said, his hand on the wizard’s arm. “Almost killed yourself doing it.”

“Ah,” Rasmodius scoffed weakly. “Gonna take a lot more than that to get rid of me, hm?”

“Rest up, friend.” John left him in Harvey’s care, making his way outside where Lewis waited for him.

“Now what?” John grunted, sensing tension.

“Morris is missing,” Lewis said.

“Missing? Did the Shadow People get him?”

Lewis shook his head. “I don’t know. We’ve looked everywhere for him. No one has seen him since the attack.”

“Listen, now,” John muttered. “I can’t be babysitting all these damn people.”

“He’s one of us,” Lewis said. “This is supposed to be a safe place. We can’t let any more people get hurt or go missing.”

“We’re not some resistance group,” John reminded him. “We’re a rag tag bunch of people who somehow managed to stay alive this long. What are we supposed to do?”

“What are you saying?” Lewis narrowed his eyes at John.

“I’m saying we’re losing, Lewis. Whether we like it or not, we are losing this war.”

The survivors of Stardew Valley gathered in the community center, listening intently at what John had to say to them.

“The Shadow People know of our whereabouts,” John said to them. “We owe Rasmodius our lives. If it weren’t for him…” He cleared his throat. “He’s a bit worn right now. That was some mighty powerful magic. But he, and Jas, are doing just fine under Harvey’s care.” John paused and shifted his eyes downward for a moment. “We’ll have a proper service for Clint, of course, later this evening.”

“He was shot,” Sandy muttered. “By one of us.”

“It was an accident,” John said. “The circumstances were not in our favor.”

“What are we supposed to do?” Leah asked, bringing the subject back on course.

John looked over the survivors before him. Their eyes were on him, waiting for an answer.

“I can’t stop you from leaving,” John said. “Stardew Valley isn’t a safe haven anymore.” His voice was pained with regret. “But I will fight for this place, and I will fight to live. And if we have a chance of surviving, it’s here in the valley.”

“We’re not soldiers,” Elliott said. “You can’t expect us to fight a losing war, no matter what kind of speech you throw at us.”

“It’s a miracle we’ve lasted this long,” Abigail muttered.

“The choice is yours,” John said simply. “You can stay or you can leave. You can fight or you can live. No one here can tell you what to do.”

“You know we’re fighting,” Gil said proudly. “To the end.” He and Marlon joined John at the front of the room.

Sam stepped forward. “I’m fighting,” he said simply.

John put his hand out. “Sam.” He hesitated. “Don’t do that to your mother.”

“I can make my own choices,” Sam hissed. “And I have a bullet with Dad’s murderer’s name on it.”

Alex stepped beside Sam. “What have we got to lose?” he said.

Abigail stood. “Me too.”

John’s gaze fell on Shane’s. “You in, kid?”

Shane crossed his arms. “When have I ever stayed behind?”

Shane found Najia after the meeting, standing on the edge of the dock at the beach.

“Why are you hiding here?” Shane asked her.

Najia said nothing as she looked out over the ocean.

“Morris is gone,” Shane said simply.

“I know.” Najia’s voice was just a whisper. “I let him go.”

Shane narrowed his eyes at her. “What do you mean you let him go?”

Najia hesitated, biting her lower lip. “I’m the reason we were attacked.”

“What are you talking about?”

Najia met Shane’s gaze. It grew harder as she admitted the truth to him. “Morris was one of my kidnappers. He’s working with the Shadow People. He pretended to be a captive to follow me to Stardew Valley, and when we found it, he told them where we were.”

“And you let him leave the valley?” Shane hissed.

Shane’s voice was harder than Najia had ever heard it before. Najia broke her gaze and stared out into the forest. “Not willingly,” she muttered. “He confronted me. He threatened to kill everyone if I said anything.”

“So,” Shane started angrily. “You’re telling me that we had some double agent with us, who knows where we are, and has now escaped to tell our enemies everything he knows?”

Najia didn’t say anything. She looked down at her feet. Her throat tightened, making breathing difficult. “I didn’t have a choice,” she choked out. “I’m sorry.”

“You’re sorry?” Shane snapped. “It’s because of you Clint is dead. Jas could have died. And now all of our lives are in danger. They know where we are. We can’t stay here. They will come back and kill us. That’s all on you.”

“I know!” Najia sobbed. “Do you think I wanted any of this to happen?”

“You realize we have two enemies, now?” Shane growled. “What are you going to do to fix it, Najia?”

“I don’t know,” she said softly. “Shane, I’m sorry.”

“You betrayed us.”

“I didn’t-”

“I thought I could trust you.” His voice was softer now. It was almost worse than his yelling.

“You can trust me, Shane. I’ve told you everything I know. I didn’t know this would happen.”

Shane shook his head. He bit his lower lip. “Did you know that he was working with the Shadow People?” Shane asked. “Before he confronted you?”

Najia held her breath. “I don’t - I mean -”

“Did you know?” Shane was shouting now.

“I remember a voice. A human voice. It… It was Morris. I didn’t realize-”

“Shut the fuck up,” Shane barked. He turned away from her, fuming. “You knew and you said nothing while he followed us around.”

“Shane-”

“Don’t,” he snapped over his shoulder. He stood for a moment before walking away, leaving her alone on the dock.

Najia’s mind raced erratically. There had to be something she could do to fix her mistake. Her stomach twisted and knotted as she came to the realization that Shane would tell everyone, and they would all hate her. She wanted to hide forever. She wanted to die. Shane was right; she had betrayed them.

She quietly made her way back to the dirt road in an attempt to hide in the cabin, but a crowd had gathered just outside the road, and they turned to her angrily as she approached.

“Get out of here,” Emily shouted to her. “You killed Clint!”

“Is it true?” Lewis asked, his brows knit together.

“I didn’t have a choice,” she said, her voice shaking.

“What happened?” Lewis asked. “Why did they follow you here?”

Najia hesitated, shaking as they waited for her excuse.

“They thought I knew something about Stardew Valley.”

“Why?” Lewis pressed.

“Before the invasion,” Najia forced out. “John called me and told me to come to Stardew Valley. They must have intercepted the call or something…”

“And?”

Najia sucked in a breath. “I was kidnapped. By humans. I thought… I thought they were with the government or something. They thought I had an answer to the war. But I didn’t know anything about the valley.”

“The Gotoro? The people that killed Kent?”

Najia shook her head. “The Shadow People. They’re after me, too. After the valley.”

“Who were they?”

“More humans,” Najia sobbed. “Humans working with the Shadow People.”

“How long did you know this?”

“I didn’t,” she cried. “I didn’t until Morris confronted me after the attack.”

“What did you tell them?”

“Nothing,” she said. “I swear, I didn’t know anything. They thought I had information… I didn’t…”

“That’s enough,” Shane muttered. “It doesn’t matter what happened.” He met Najia’s graze briefly before turning back to the crowd. “What matters is that they know we’re here, and it’s only a matter of time before they attack again.”

“What are we supposed to do?” Leah asked. “Leave?”

“There’s only one thing we can do,” Lewis said through his teeth. “We fight back or we die.”

Minimanta likes this.
                • Skyloft-Farm

Two pieces of wood, carved into the symbol of Yoba, stood erect in the ground. ‘Kent’ was carved into one, while ‘Clint’ was carved into the other, marking the graves of the two men who lost their lives. Wild flowers were picked and placed at the foot of each marker. The grass was browning around them. A fresh pile of dirt marked where Clint’s body was buried. Kent’s grave remained, the dirt undisturbed, his body elsewhere in the world.

Najia didn’t dare intrude on the services. She remained hidden inside her grandfather’s cabin, hugging her knees close to her in the corner of the room. She remained there for the entire day until night fell around them. Her grandfather shuffled in, looking exhausted.

“We missed you today,” he said casually as he kicked off his boots.

“No one missed me,” Najia muttered. She met his gaze. “Do you hate me, too?”

John held her gaze for a moment. A smile broke his face. “Of course not.”

“Why not?”

John’s brows knit together. “Why would I?”

“I’ve betrayed everyone,” Najia whispered.

John let his fingers fold on his lap. “You have not betrayed us, Rōśanī. You could not have controlled what happened.”

“I brought Morris right here,” she said through gritted teeth.

“You could not have known he was working with our enemy.”

“But I did,” she said. “I just didn’t realize… I didn’t put the pieces together…”

“You cannot blame this on yourself,” John said. “We’re at war. War is hell.”

Najia shook her head. “It doesn’t matter,” she said. “They’ll never forgive me.”

“They’ll come around,” he said.

“They won’t.” Najia’s voice was hard. “And they shouldn’t. I don’t belong here, anymore.”

John’s gaze hardened on his granddaughter. “You’re not going anywhere,” he said fiercely. “I will not have it. And if anyone has a problem with it, they will have to deal with me and Calamity Jane.” He threw his thumb over his shoulder at the two weapons leaning near the door.

Najia sighed and shifted her gaze to her feet. She wished she could just disappear forever.

Najia looked out over the farm. Everyone was hard at work, back in their usual routine. Construction continued in their little make-shift town, and crops were ready to be harvested. Leah and Abigail worked together in the pumpkin patch, chatting happily. They stopped when they saw Najia watching them and met her gaze, their brows knit together.

One by one, the others noticed Najia as well, and Najia could feel every single one of their eyes on her, staring at her hard with burning hatred. Najia felt like a large target, standing alone at the farm’s entrance, just outside the cabin. All she wanted to do was try to make amends and help with the work that needed to be done, but she could see in each hard, hateful gaze that her presence was unwanted.

Najia shifted her gaze to the ground and backed away slowly, avoiding their stares at all costs. She didn’t dare turn away until she had bumped into a tree and slid around it. She hurried down the dirt road, tears stinging her eyes. She ran passed the men that hauled wood out from the forest, passed Penny, Jas, and Vincent playing by the river, until she was deep in the woods and finally out of sight.

Haley buried her face in her hands. Harvey sat on the bed beside her, fiddling with his pen uncomfortably.

“What do you want me to do?” he asked softly.

“What can you do?” Haley asked, feeling desperate.

Harvey hesitated. “I can do whatever you need me to do.”

Haley straightened and sucked in a breath, steadying herself. “I need to talk to Alex,” she said simply.

“Don’t do what Alex wants,” Harvey said. “You need to do what you want and what you think is best.”

“Alex gets a say just as much as I do.”

“But you get the ultimate decision.”

Haley hesitated. “No,” she said. “It’s okay. I want it. I want this.”

“Are you sure?”

Haley met his concerned gaze. “Do you think I’m being stupid?” she asked quietly.

Harvey turned his gaze away from her and sighed. “No,” he said, shaking his head. “No. Of course not. We just… we don’t have the modern conveniences we used to.”

“Women did this before hospitals,” Haley said. “If they can do it, I can do it.”

Harvey nodded and forced a smile. “It won’t be easy, Haley. Not by a long shot.”

“I know,” she said, meeting his gaze. “I just… I feel like this is something I should do.” She shrugged. “Maybe the war will be over by the time the baby is born.”

Haley found Alex leaning against the frame of the latest cabin. He smiled to her when she approached.

“Can we talk?” she asked carefully.

Alex looked around them quickly before hopping off the platform and onto the ground. “What’s wrong?”

Haley took his hand, leading him away, out of earshot. Her heart raced as she turned to him, biting her lower lip. “Something happened.”

Alex’s brows knit together. “What do you mean? What happened?”

“I’m pregnant,” she blurted out.

Alex’s face whitened. “What? For real? Are you sure?”

Haley rolled her eyes in frustration. “Yes,” she practically gasped. “Yes, I’m pregnant.”

Alex hesitated. His face softened. “What do you want to do?”

“I want to keep it,” she said confidently.

Alex nodded.

“Look, if-”

“What would we name it?”

Haley stared at him for a moment. “I don’t know,” she said quietly. “I hadn’t gotten that far.”

“If it’s a girl,” Alex started, “and you have no preference, I’d like to call her Clara.”

“Clara?” Haley repeated. “Don’t you think we’re hurrying into this?”

Alex turned to his feet. “Yeah. Maybe. You’re right.”

Haley took his hand in hers. “That’s a pretty name.”

Alex met her gaze. “It was my mother’s name.”

“Okay,” Haley said softly. “Clara it is.”

Haley sat on the sleeping bag on the wood floor. Her toes played with the zipper as her mind wandered to the child growing inside of her. Emily sat beside her on a square, frayed pillow, her eyes closed. She breathed in deeply and sighed.

“Do you have to do that here?” Haley muttered.

“Does my meditation really bother you that much?” Emily said softly, her eyes still closed.

“The candles are a bit much,” Haley said, eyeing the plethora of lit candles that seemed to surround her sister.

“They’re calming,” Emily said. She opened her eyes and sipped from her tea. She put the cup bag in front of her feet as she breathed in deeply once more.

“What’s in that damn tea?” Haley asked, scrunching her nose at the smell.

“It’s Kava tea,” Emily said.

“Kava tea?”

“It’s a perfectly natural tea derived from a natural plant in the natural world.”

“Wait,” Haley said. “Is it natural?”

Emily’s eyes opened slowly to glare at her sister. “Totally.” She closed her eyes once more.

“Isn’t Kava a drug?”

Emily sighed. “It just makes you relaxed. It’s helping me cope with Clint’s death.”

“I didn’t know you guys were that close,” Haley muttered.

“He was very sweet to me,” she said. “We had a lot of deep, late night talks.”

“I aways did think he had a thing for you.”

Emily sighed deeply. “What troubles you?”

Haley turned to her sister, but her eyes remained closed. “Nothing.”

“I know when you’re lying, Haley.”

Haley turned away and stared at the zipper of the sleeping bag. “I’m pregnant.”

Emily’s eyes opened and she turned to her sister. “I guess I shouldn’t offer you some of my tea,” she said slowly.

Haley rolled her eyes. “I’ve decided to keep it.”

Emily nodded in understanding. She joined Haley on her sleeping bag and pulled her into her arms.

“Am I making the right decision?” Haley asked softly.

“Do you think you are?”

Haley nodded. “I know it doesn’t make sense, being the end of the world and all. But I want this. I need this.”

“She will be a beautiful little girl.”

“Or a boy.”

Emily pushed Haley away from her, her hands on her sister’s shoulders, and smiled. “I have a feeling about these things.”

Minimanta likes this.
                  • Skyloft-Farm

“I don’t get why he feels the need to be such an ass all the time,” Maru said. “Ever since we got here, he acts like we don’t exist. Like he was only with us because there was no one else in the world.”

“Has he always been that way?”

Maru rolled her eyes. “He hardly ever came out of his room at home.”

“I never would have guessed you were related,” Penny said.

“Half related.” Maru crossed her arms.

“Maybe that’s the problem,” Penny said, meeting Maru’s gaze. “You always call him your half-brother.”

Maru stared at Penny blankly for a moment. “So, you’re saying I’m the problem?”

Penny hesitated, sensing her anger. “I’m just saying,” she started. “You seem to push him away just as much. You know, you two have a lot more in common than you realize.”

Maru turned away from Penny, watching Vincent play by the river. “Yeah, well, he started it. He’s hated me since the day I was born.”

“I don’t believe that,” Penny said.

“He used to torment me.”

“That’s what siblings do.”

Maru rolled her eyes. “Stop being reasonable. I’m mad at him.”

Penny smiled. “Sorry,” she said. “I’ve always worked with kids, settling their fights.”

“Thanks, Miss Penny,” Maru said sarcastically.

“He’ll come around,” Penny said. “Give him a chance. I’m sure it’s not easy for him. You still have your dad. He only has you left.”

Maru looked at her feet. “I guess,” she said.

Vincent bounded up to Penny, a single wild flower in his hand.

“Look, Miss Penny. It’s almost as pretty as you.”

Penny smiled and took the flower from him. “Thank you, Vincent,” she said. “That’s so sweet of you to say.”

His smile widened as he turned away, hopping back to the river.

Penny turned to Maru and offered her the flower.

Harvey cleared his throat behind them. “Am I interrupting?”

Penny turned to him and smiled. “Of course not.”

Harvey walked to her side. “I just wanted to let you know that I’m releasing Jas tonight.”

“Good,” Penny said with a nod. “Vincent has been missing her.”

“You’ll have to ask her about my equipment,” Harvey said proudly. “She hasn’t stopped asking questions. Even quizzing me!”

“Maybe we’ll have another doctor in out future.”

“I could always use the help,” Harvey said. He turned to Maru. “I heard you have some experience.”

“I went to school for nursing,” Maru said. She hesitated. “I only had a year left. But the Shadow People had other plans, apparently.”

“Well,” Harvey started. “I’d be happy to offer you some on the job training. Nothing can beat that kind of schooling.”

Maru beamed. “I’d love that.”

Sebastian leaned over the engine of the Hummer. “She’s so arrogant,” he said from under the hood. “Little Miss Perfect. She’s always been that way.”

“Uh huh,” Sam said, disinterested. He leaned against the vehicle, holding the oil stick for Sebastian.

Sebastian took it from him and replaced the cap, double checking the measurements. “Perfect little girl from the perfect little marriage,” he muttered.

Sam handed him the rag as he let the hood drop down. “You’re the mistake, man.”

Sebastian wiped his hands on the rag, staring at the Hummer. “I know,” he said. “I’ve known that from the moment I met Demetrius. He doesn’t let me forget it.”

“Fuck him,” Sam said. “What do you care, anyway?”

“I don’t,” Sebastian said, throwing the rag against the hood. “I’m not stuck with him anymore. He and Maru can have their perfect little father-daughter relationship and pretend I don’t exist. It’s not like they didn’t do that before the invasion. The only thing I had in common with them was my mother. I swear, Demetrius only let me live with them because I was his wife’s son.”

“Did he lock you in a tiny room under the stairs?”

Sebastian glared at Sam. “If only I had the power of magic to turn you into a toad,” he hissed.

Sam shrugged. “Maybe someone pretty will kiss me and turn into a prince.”

“No sane woman would kiss a toad,” Sebastian said. “Especially if they knew it would turn into you.”

Sam crossed his arms. “Maybe you would get along with them if you weren’t such an ass.”

“Demetrius is the ass.”

“He can’t be that much of an ass if your mother stayed with him,” Sam said. “I bet he’s better than your biological father.”

“I don’t remember him,” Sebastian muttered. “He left when I was little.”

“Demetrius could have left you,” Sam pointed out. “Give him a break. You’re a weird asshole that probably made his life hell.”

“He’s had all these years to be a decent step-father,” Sebastian snapped. “I didn’t need him then and I don’t need him now.”

“I’d take a step-father over a dead father,” Sam mumbled.

“You can have mine.”

“Get over your petty ass problems,” Sam hissed, “and grow up. Maru is your sister. Stop blaming your problems on her and just be happy you have some family left.”

Sebastian grabbed the rag and threw it at Sam.

“Ouch,” Sam said, rolling his eyes. “That was so hurtful.” He threw the rag back at Sebastian.

“Wipe the shit off your nose,” Sebastian said, throwing it back to Sam.

“It’s filthy.” Sam tossed it back.

“It would be an improvement.” Sebastian returned fire.

“Why don’t you go cry into it?” Sam threw the rag.

“Jerk off with it.” Sebastian tossed it back.

“You need it more than me,” Sam said.

Sebastian caught the rag and threw it on the ground. “Go to hell.”

“I’m already there.”

Sebastian watched Sam walk behind the Hummer. “What are you doing?” he barked.

“Drinking Gil’s driving whisky,” Sam said. He returned with a flask in hand and lifted it to his lips.

“Give me that,” Sebastian said, taking the flask from Sam and drinking.

Sam grabbed it when Sebastian was finished. “Don’t tell Gil.”

Sam fell onto the couch beside Penny. They watched as Vincent flipped through an old book, admiring the pictures quietly and reading the words to himself slowly.

“Tough day?” Penny asked.

“All Sebastian has done is bitch about Maru.”

Penny smiled. “Maru’s had some words about Sebastian, too.”

“At least I’m not the only one that has to deal with their shit.” He turned to Penny and smiled. “Can I hide out here with you?”

Penny met his gaze. “Yeah. I could use some adult company.”

Sam stretched out his legs. “Being with Vincent all day must make you go crazy.”

“Not at all,” she said. “Teaching kids is what I’ve always loved to do. And it keeps his mind off of…” Penny trailed off. She met Sam’s gaze. “You know.”

“Our dead father?”

Penny shifted uncomfortable on the couch. She turned her attention back to Vincent. “I’m sorry, Sam.”

Sam shook his head and sighed. “No, I’m sorry.” He watched Vincent as he flipped a page in the book. “I didn’t mean to snap.”

Penny hesitated. “You can talk to me if you need to,” she said softly.

Sam shrugged. “Thanks for keeping Vincent busy.” He got onto the floor beside his brother and pointed at the book in his lap.

“Why is that bear wearing glasses?” Sam asked.

Vincent giggled. “Because he’s smart, Sam.” He pushed his older brother’s chest. “Smarter than you!”

“At least I know how to ride a bike,” Sam said.

“Bike’s are stupid,” Vincent muttered. “Teach me to ride a skateboard like you.”

• Skyloft-Farm

“How long are you going to stay out here?”

Najia turned to see Rasmodius standing behind her. She turned away from him, staring out over the lake once more. Just on the other side of the lake, the survivors were going on with their lives without her. It had been two days since she ran into the forest, and no one had seemed to notice.

“At least come in out of the rain,” Rasmodius said to her.

Najia followed the wizard inside absentmindedly. It had been raining most of the day, and the trees only provided some shelter from it. Her clothes were soaked and she was shivering.

Najia peered into the crystal ball in the middle of the room. It swirled in a silver haze before her eyes. “Crystal balls are real?”

Rasmodius shrugged as he moved past her. “Something like that.”

“Can you see in it?”

Rasmodius glanced at the ball and met her gaze. “Yes.”

“What do you see?” She squinted into the ball, hoping to catch a glimpse of their future.

“An army of Shadow People.”

Najia’s gaze shifted to Rasmodius. “They’re coming for us.”

“That they are,” Rasmodius said with a seemingly disinterested nod. He busied himself at the far end of the room, his back to Najia.

“What’s going to happen?”

“Well,” he began. “That depends.”

Najia looked at the wizard. He held a sword in his hands. She knit her brows together. “Depends on what?”

Rasmodius held up the sword. “Do you know what this is?”

Najia shook her head.

“It’s called the Galaxy Sword,” he explained. “One of Stardew Valley’s hidden treasures.”

“What’s so special about it?”

“It’s a very powerful weapon,” Rasmodius said. “And with my magic, it has the potential to end this war. I’ve been working on it for some time, but,” he hesitated, “it’s not ready. And I don’t have the time or the strength to continue working on the sword and fend off another hoard of Shadow Brutes.” He turned the blade over in his hands. “They’re strong. Only the strongest to invade the valley the way they can. I see what their power has done. What it can do. They chose to let Jas live, to serve as a warning.”

Najia hesitated, watching the blade turn in his hands. “What do you mean?”

“They’re touch is deadly,” the wizard said. “They’re not your average Shadow Brutes. They mean business, and they will not rest until they have the valley.”

“I don’t understand,” Najia said. “What is it that they want with Stardew?”

“A number of things,” Rasmodius said. “I can only begin to guess at some of them. The sword, for one thing. The magic that lies here, that could surely only strengthen their own.” He met Najia’s gaze. “This place, this sword… This is the only hope we have to surviving this war.”

“I can hold them off,” Najia said quickly. “I can do it, if it will buy you enough time.”

“They’re stronger than any creatures you’ve encountered in the past.”

“Let me take care of it,” Najia pressed. “It’s the least I can do,” she muttered.

It was just past midnight as Najia walked down the tunnel and towards the cars. She threw her bag and gun into the passenger seat before sliding in behind the wheel. She had brought so much death and suffering to them already. This was all her doing, and it was her responsibility to fix it. Even if she had to go down trying. But she had a plan, and she was confident that her efforts would give the survivors at least a fighting chance.

She turned the key in the ignition. The engine startled her; it was too loud in the stillness of night. She put the car into drive and made her way over the mountains, leaving the valley behind her for good.

John burst through the door to the community center that morning. “Where’s Najia?”

They looked around the room, then back to him, staring blankly.

“Can’t say I’ve seen her,” Gil said.

“She’s gone,” John said, panicked. “She’s gone.”

“What do you mean she’s gone?” Leah said.

“You fucking people drove her out of the valley and now she’s gone.”

“Good,” Emily muttered. “She doesn’t deserve to stay here.”

John’s face reddened with anger. “Don’t you dare try to blame her for what happened,” he hissed. “Morris threatened her life. Any one of you would have done the same thing if it were you.”

“We’re all going to die because of her!”

“You all would have been died months ago if it weren’t for her,” John shouted to them. “She brought you here to Stardew Valley where it was safe. She got you out of that dark hell hole, and this is how you thank her? By driving her out of the only home she has left?” John hesitated. “Najia made no mistake. It wouldn’t have mattered if she let Morris leave or not. The Shadow People already knew we were here. There was nothing that would have come out of keeping Morris captive here. It would have only made the situation more dangerous if he continued to live among us.”

John turned toward the door, adjusting the rifle on his back. “I’m going to find her and bring her back,” he said. “And if any of you have a problem with it, then I better not see your stupid faces when I get back. You are not welcome in this valley.”

Marlon and Gil stood. “You’ll need some help out there, John,” Marlon said. “Let us help you.”

“Fine,” John said shortly. “I’ll take any help I can get.”

Shane stood and pocketed his gun. Without a word, he joined John at his side.

“You better watch yourself,” John muttered to him. “You’re on thin ice with me. Don’t give me an excuse to shoot ya, ‘cuz I will.”

Shane ignored him as he pushed passed him, leaving the community center. John, Marlon, and Gil followed close behind. Rasmodius approached them outside as they got into the old green truck.

“I suspected you would go out looking for her,” the wizard said to them.

“Where is she?” John hissed at him. “What did you do?”

“I didn’t do anything, John,” Rasmodius said calmly.

“What did you tell her?”

“Nothing.”

John held his gaze as he started the truck. “I’m not finished with you,” he muttered.

“I suspected as much.” Rasmodius looked down the road towards the tunnel. “She went to stop an army of Shadow People, just outside the southern range.”

John stepped on the gas and the truck peeled out of the town and into the valley.

The flare at her feet started to burn out, the circle of light around her shrinking rapidly. Najia pressed her back against the wall, her heart racing. She held her grip on her gun, jerking it towards every sound she heard in the darkness that surrounded her. The Shadow People were just outside the safety of light, waiting for their moment to strike their helpless victim. Najia was out of options. She had put herself in a corner and there was no way out. In just a few more minutes, she would be dead. And not long after, so would everyone in Stardew Valley. And it was all her fault. She should have just died when she jumped from that window. Why couldn’t they just let her die?

The flare flickered one last time before finally burning out. In one last attempt to save the valley, Najia dashed into the darkness, shooting her gun ahead of her in hopes of clearing any Shadow Brutes out of her path.

More shooting followed hers. She ducked and ran erratically, with only her flashlight to guide her. The light moved quickly over human bodies, running full speed after her from every direction. Their eyes were covered with peculiar eyewear, which Najia assumed was some kind of night vision goggles.

The concrete under her feet turned to dirt as she ran out into the desert. She pulled the grenade out of her pocket. Her heart raced in her chest. If she was going to die, she was going to take as many as she could with her. She pulled the pin as she ran, turned quickly and threw it into the darkness before continuing to run forward. She counted: one… two… three… four… five… She dove forward, just as the explosion lit up the night for a seemingly long moment. She covered her head as the ground shook briefly and the darkness consumed her once more. The world fell silent.

She waited on the ground as still as she could, listening to the world around her. She could not hear the familiar hiss of the Shadow People, or the voices of the humans chasing after her. She could not hear her own heavy, shaking breaths.

She could not hear at all.

Until she heard the ringing. It was shrill and piercing. She squeezed her eyes shut as the pain shot through her head. She turned over and forced herself up, her head spinning. And then she heard the voices. The gunshots. The roar of an engine.

She opened her eyes and blinked at the headlights in the distance. The sounds continued to buzz in her ears, and she fought to put the pieces of sounds together like a broken puzzle.

The headlights swerved before landing on her and the vehicle came to a stop. A dark figure stepped into the light, his arm raised. Najia winced, expecting a round of bullets to hit her chest.

A figure ran towards her, and John knelt to the ground in front of his granddaughter.

“Najia.” His voice was faint - distant - and fuzzy, but she recognized it. She recognized his features. She nodded as he pulled her to her feet. John gestured towards the other figures before turning back to her. “Are you okay?”

“Yes,” she muttered, her own voice sounding faint.

Shane stepped out of the headlights, standing at John’s side. John put his hand on his shoulder as he turned to him. His lips moved and Shane nodded, his gaze on Najia. John left them standing alone as he returned to the Hummer.

“You threw a fucking grenade?” was all that he said to her.

Najia looked at her feet. “Plan B,” she muttered.

Shane hesitated. “Are you okay?” he asked after a long moment.

“Why are you here?” Najia said through her teeth.

“Coming to your rescue, of course.”

“I had it under control,” she hissed. She gestured to the corpses in the distance and smiled wickedly. “I’m not a damsel in distress. I don’t need a hero, especially from any stupid man.”

The corner of Shane’s lips twisted into the slightest hint of a smile, but his gaze remained hard on her. “I know.”

“You were worried about me,” she practically accused him.

Shane turned away, making his way back to the Hummer.

“What? No snarky comment?” Najia called after him.

“Nope,” Shane said simply.

John returned to Najia’s side and peered into her ears with a flashlight.

“I’m fine,” Najia muttered. “I’m not deaf.”

John pushed her forward towards the Hummer. Najia rubbed at her temples as the pain began to subside. Shane pulled her into the Hummer and the vehicle lurched forward.

Marlon was behind the wheel, navigating themselves through the left overs of the army that had made their way into the desert, chasing after Najia. An army of humans and Shadow People. Gil fired at them as they sped through the desert, standing through the moonroof with his rifle in hand. John leaned out his window with his own gun. Najia turned and met Shane’s gaze.

“I thought you were mad at me, anyway?” she said.

Shane let the empty magazine fall into his hand. He slipped in more bullets, not meeting Najia’s gaze.

“John would have killed me if he couldn’t find you. I figured I’d probably die either way, so I could at least help look for you and try to redeem myself.” He slid the magazine back into the gun with the palm of his hand. “It was my fault, anyway.”

“Is this an apology?”

Gil let out a loud whoop from the moonroof as they lost sight of the army.

“No,” Shane said simply. “I don’t apologize to traitors.”

Najia turned away and gritted her teeth. “I didn’t betray you,” she muttered. “Morris had me cornered. There was nothing I could have done.”

“I know.” Shane turned his eyes to her. “You didn’t choose for any of this to happen. You were dragged into this war. I’m sorry I blamed you for what happened.”

Najia looked at him from the corner of her eyes, not daring to meet his gaze. “It’s my fault,” she said softly. “Clint is dead. Jas almost died.” She sucked in a breath. “Like you said, that’s on me.”

Shane pinched his lips and turned to look out the window. “Stop running off and getting kidnapped,” he said. “I’m not chasing after you again.”

“Good,” Najia mumbled. “I don’t need you to chase after me.”

John and Gil returned to their seats, securing their weapons beside them.

“Ears stop ringing?” John said to his granddaughter.

Najia nodded.

“Quite a move you pulled there,” Gil said from the font seat. “Could have gotten killed.”

Najia turned to her feet. If only that wasn’t her plan.

• Skyloft-Farm

I just had to share this from my Tumblr fic followers...

vearsin replied to your post “Under Shadow - Chapter 44”

For anyone binge reading, here’s a drinking game. Take a shot every time John threatens to shoot Shane

xD

• Skyloft-Farm

“I can’t go back there,” Najia said as she stood outside the tunnel. “They all hate me.”

“We’ll get over it,” Shane muttered, pushing passed her and heading down the tunnel behind John, Marlon, and Gil.

“We?”

Shane stopped and sighed. “If you want to make it better,” Shane said over his shoulder, “then start thinking of a plan.”

Harvey was waiting for them on the dirt road as they made their way into town. His eyes were red from exhaustion.

“You look like hell, man,” John said.

“Up all night,” he muttered. “Listen.” He hesitated.

“What’s wrong?” Marlon asked.

“Linus is sick.”

“Sick?” John repeated.

“The best diagnosis I can come up with is lung cancer,” Harvey said. “But I have a feeling there’s a lot more to it.” He shook his head. “Possible liver cancer. Could have settled in his bones.” He hesitated. “The signs are all there.”

“Cancer? He was fine just the other day.”

“Cancer is the number one… it can be impossible to detect. Symptoms are often misinterpreted for other conditions. With no lab or x-rays, I can’t know for certain, but I can see the signs. And when left untreated, it will just sneak up on you.”

“So, what does that mean?” John asked, his voice soft.

“It means he likely only has a few weeks to live,” Harvey said. “It has finally taken over his body and his body is shutting down.”

“Okay,” John said simply. He cleared this throat. “Keep him comfortable, then.” He moved passed Harvey and down the road.

“You should know,” Harvey called to John. “I have a limited supply of morphine.”

John stopped but did not turn to them.

“I can’t keep the pain away for too long.” Harvey hesitated. “I was honest with him. He asked if there were other… options.”

John waited.

“Linus is a selfless man,” Harvey said. “And he’s too proud to admit defeat over a disease.”

“Get to the point,” John growled.

“He’s asked for assisted suicide.”

John’s brows knit together as he turned to Harvey. “You’re gonna take him out back and shoot him?”

“Of course not,” Harvey hissed. “There are drugs. They will make the process quick and pain-free. But you can’t just walk into any pharmacy and get it.” He hesitated. “I could likely find something in a hospital. They don’t have a long shelf life, though. The other option is to get more morphine and administer an overdose. That will work just as quickly.”

“So,” John started. “You need us to go out and get some drug that’s gonna kill Linus.”

Harvey didn’t answer him, but John already knew the answer. He sighed.

“If that’s what he wants.” John continued down the road, disappearing behind the trees.

Harvey turned to them and forced a smile. “Welcome back, Najia. I’m glad you’re safe.”

Najia looked at her feet and said nothing.

Marlon and Gil followed Harvey into town solemnly, leaving Najia and Shane alone.

“I know you’re mad at me,” Najia started quietly, “but-”

“I’m not mad,” Shane said. He hesitated. “I mean, I am. But I know it’s not your fault.” He sighed and met her gaze. “I don’t know right now.”

“I had a plan,” Najia muttered. “I was going to fix it.”

“You had a death wish,” Shane spat at her. “That wouldn’t have fixed anything. It was suicide.”

“At least they wouldn’t have to look for me anymore,” she shouted.

“The Shadow People know we’re here,” Shane said. “Wouldn’t matter if you were dead or not; we’re all going to die.”

“I guess you should have shot me when you had the chance, then,” Najia muttered.

“Maybe,” Shane said. “You’ve only prolonged the inevitable.”

Najia watched Shane walk away, leaving her alone. The shards of her broken heart ripped through her insides as her vision blurred. She fell to her knees and sobbed.

John sat in the chair beside Linus’s bed. He smiled as his friend met his gaze.

“What’ll it be?” John said. “Morphine or a bullet to the head?”

Linus smiled weakly. “Take me out back like a damned dog,” he said, his voice hoarse.

John shook his head. “You can’t expect me to do that.”

“I don’t expect you to go out and risk your lives to get drugs for me.”

“Is Harvey keeping you comfortable?”

Linus sighed painfully. “He’s a good one.” His eyelids fluttered closed.

“Linus?” John’s voice was panicked.

“I’m trying to conserve the morphine,” Harvey said, walking to the bed. “It’s not enough to ease his pain. It’s too much for him.” Harvey checked his pulse and nodded. “He’ll be in and out as the pain gets to be too much.”

“I’ll get the morphine,” John said, getting to his feet. “Tell me what to do.”

“It will likely be in a glass bottle,” Harvey said quickly. “For injection. That will be the best option. You can also get it in pill form. The pill could look like anything, but it will have an M on it along with a number. The higher the number, the bigger the dose-”

“The better,” John said quickly.

Harvey hesitated. “If you can get both kinds… It would be good for in the future.”

“Get as much as we can. Got it.” John turned towards the door.

“John.”

He hesitated.

“Don’t risk your life over this,” Harvey said softly. “Linus is… we don’t need any more deaths.”

Minimanta likes this.
                          • Skyloft-Farm

“I don’t need your help,” John said sternly to his granddaughter.

Najia followed him as he walked around the truck to the driver’s side. “Please,” she said. “I want to at least get Shane his car back.”

John raised his eyebrows at her as he slid into the seat. “You just got back,” he said shaking his head.

“I’ve barely been here an hour and no one will look at me.”

He sighed. “You’ll have to learn to live with it for a while.”

“Let me help you,” she begged. “You need help. The cars are close.”

“C’mon, John,” Gil said as he opened the passenger side door. “Better she help in any way she can then be sitting around doing nothing.”

“There’s plenty to do around here,” John muttered.

“These people think she betrayed them,” Marlon reminded him. “Their lives have been live or die. Do you really want to trust her alone with them? After the move Sam pulled?”

John hesitated and met Najia’s gaze. “Fine,” he finally muttered.

Najia didn’t wait for him to say anything more. She slid into the tight backseat beside Marlon, more eager than ever to leave the valley.

“I don’t like this,” John muttered as they drove into the parking lot just outside the hospital. “It’s too quiet.”

“Najia took care of the trouble,” Gil pointed out.

John shook his head. “It’s only a matter of time before another army makes there way here. I don’t like being out of the valley.”

“We don’t have much of a choice,” Marlon said. “They’re coming whether we like it or not. The valley won’t offer us much protection for long. We can’t hide anymore.”

John cut the engine and made his way across the parking lot.

“It’s time to start planning our next move,” Gil said as he, Marlon, and Najia followed closely behind John.

John shook his head. “We’re not soldiers. We can’t do this.”

“Probably not,” Marlon said. “But I’d rather go down fighting than cowering.”

“I don’t think you can expect everyone to be so willing to fight,” Gil reminded him.

“Maybe we should give them what they want,” Najia said.

John stopped and met her gaze. “You?”

“The valley. The way I see it, this war has three sides. We’re split with our own kind - the very people we should be working with.”

“The Gotoro are working with the Dwarves,” Gil said.

“And we’re fighting against them and the Shadow People? It’s ridiculous.”

“The Dwarves-”

“The Dwarves aren’t our enemies,” Najia said.

“They pushed the Shadow People out of their home,” John hissed. “That’s why we’re in this mess.”

“But they’re not the enemy,” Najia raised her voice at him. “We need to stop treating them like our enemies. If they’re willing to fight the Shadow People with the Gotoros, then we can work together to get rid of those brutes once and for all.”

“So,” John started. “What are you suggesting? We walk right up to them and suggest an alliance?”

“Yes.”

John held his gaze on her. “What if they say no?”

“Why would they?”

“They’ll want the valley.”

“All the valley offers is protection.” Najia hesitated. “Well, it did.” She shrugged. “Maybe when they realize that the valley isn’t all it’s cracked up to be, they’ll refocus on the war.”

“It wouldn’t hurt to talk,” Gil said with as shrug.

“Over a fucking cup of tea?” John growled. “Sure, and let’s bring a bottle of wine, and a nice house warming gift. Here you are. Welcome to Stardew Valley. Please don’t kill us.”

“Do you see another option?” Marlon asked.

John shook his head. “I can’t talk about this right now,” he said, frustrated. “I’m trying to find something to kill a good friend. Now, excuse me.” He shot at the glass door, stepping through, muttering to himself.

They searched the hospital up and down for hours before John finally found the morphine that Harvey had described to him. They worked quickly to fill their bags with every last bit of it before they made their way back to the truck. Despite John’s objections, they drove down into the canyon where the abandoned cars sat. Najia moved quickly, replacing the blown out tires and starting the engine to the Trans Am. It roared to life easily. Najia followed the truck out of the canyon and back towards the valley.

They drove through the tunnel, down the dirt road, and pulled up in front of Harvey’s cabin. It was late when they got back, but people were still milling around a large fire, talking quietly amongst themselves. Najia felt their eyes on her as she stepped out of the Trans Am. She forced herself to straighten, in an attempt to exude confidence. The edges of the key bit into her palm and she forced her grip to loosen. She watched as Shane made his way to the car, his hands shoved in his pockets. He did not meet her gaze as he looked the car over.

“She’s a little bruised up,” Najia said. “But she runs beautifully.”

Shane nodded and met her gaze. “Cool.”

Najia held the key out in her palm. “You’re welcome.”

Shane’s fingers brushed hers as he took the key. He smiled crookedly. “Cool.”

Najia turned away from him, watching as John handed Harvey the bags filled with morphine. Harvey took them solemnly and nodded slowly. He turned and made his way into the cabin, John on his heels. The door closed behind him.

Najia pinched her lips as a single tear escaped her eye. She turned back around, but Shane was gone. She leaned against the car and waited, alone in the darkness. The fire died and everyone made their way to their homes for the night when John finally emerged from the cabin. His figure seemed alarmingly small, bent over in exhaustion. Even in the dim light from the window, Najia could see his face was torn with grief.

Najia walked to his side, hesitant, before wrapping her arms around him.

“Promise me one thing, Rōśanī,” he said softly. “Don’t go getting yourself killed.”

Najia said nothing as he pulled away and walked down the dirt road towards the farm. She stood alone outside Harvey’s cabin. Through the window, she watched as Harvey pulled a blanket over the bed, covering Linus’s body. She turned away and made her way to the truck, sitting cross-legged in the bed. She watched as Shane emerged from the darkness, a beer in each hand. He leaned against the truck and extended a beer towards her. Najia wrapped her fingers around the neck of the bottle, but Shane did not let go. She met his gaze, hesitant.

“Shane,” she started, her voice soft. “I’m sorry.”

“I know.” Shane released his grip on the beer. He fingered the label on his own for a moment before he spoke again. “You gonna sit here all night?”

Najia shrugged. She stared at the beer in her hands.

Shane pushed himself into the bed beside her, letting his legs dangle over the edge. They sat in silence as they drank their beer, staring into the darkness.

When Najia finished hers, she let the bottle roll towards the back of the truck. She lay down against the wood panels and stared up at the stars.

“How the hell did we, of all people, make it this far?”

Shane smiled and lay back beside her. “I don’t know about you,” he said, “but some of us have survival skills.”

Najia scoffed. “And you think you’re one of those people?”

Shane turned his head, looking at Najia. “When you find yourself killing your own race…” He hesitated and turned back to the sky. “Fuck yeah I’ve got survival skills.”

“You killed a human?”

“To save your stupid ass,” Shane muttered.

Najia was quiet for a moment. “I don’t think things could get more fucked up.”

“I’m sure they will,” Shane said simply. He turned back to her. “Are you prepared for that?”

Najia bit her lip. “No,” she admitted. Her heart raced as she thought about walking right up to the Gotoro army and turning herself in to them.

“I’m scared, too.”

Najia turned her head and met his gaze. “You can’t be,” she said. “You’re supposed to be the one with the survival skills. You’re supposed to have your shit together.”

“Not even close,” Shane said, turning his gaze back to the sky. “I had this idea that finding the valley would fix everything and everything would go back to normal.”

“Me too.”

“Sometimes I wish we never made it here,” he said softly.

“I wish I died jumping out that window,” Najia muttered.

“I don’t.” Shane turned and met her gaze. “Would have made a life on the run really boring.”

Najia smiled. “I don’t think you would have lasted as long as you think you would. Wouldn’t have been boring for long.”

Shane smirked at her through his narrowed eyes. “Hmp.”

Najia pressed closer to him. She bit her lower lip, hesitant, as she caught his gaze.

“At least I wouldn’t have to listen to-” Shane started, his voice cut off as Najia’s lips met his. “Taylor Swift,” he said softly when she pulled away.

“Don’t pretend you hated it,” Najia said quietly.

Shane pressed his lips against hers. “I hated every second,” he whispered against her lips.

Najia pulled away and met his gaze for a moment, searching his eyes. “Well,” she started. “Then we never have to do that again. I’ll go back and take it all away.”

Shane pulled her back into him and their lips met once more, harder this time. “I wouldn’t change any of it.”

Minimanta likes this.
                            • Skyloft-Farm

At the center of the community center was a large table with a map of the Ferngill Republic open out. John, Marlon, and Gil stood peering over it at the head of the table. Najia, Shane, Alex, Abigail, and Sam stood around the table, watching as they pointed to various areas on the map.

“We know the Shadow People have some kind of building out in the desert,” Shane said. “That’s where we found Penny and Morris.

Alex pointed to an area on the map. “This is where the Gotoro base is,” he said as Marlon circled it with a marker. “Kent brought us to it.”

“Is that all we know?” Gil said, crossing his arms and shaking his head. “Not the most impressive map.”

“What do you want from us?” Sam hissed. “We’re not soldiers or government spies.”

“It doesn’t matter,” John said. He pointed to the Gotoro base. “That’s where we’re going.”

Everyone but Najia moved their gaze to John.

“The Gotoro base?” Alex asked. “Why the hell are we going there?”

Shane shot a suspicious glare at Najia. “What are you doing?” he hissed.

John sighed. “I can’t argue with her. Najia brought up a good point last night. The Dwarves and the Gotoro aren’t our enemies. They’re not our allies, either. We need to change that if we want a chance of surviving this.”

“You want to team up with them?” Sam asked

“Did you forget they tried to kill us?” Shane hissed. “Kidnapped Najia?”

“All they want is the valley,” Najia said, her voice hard. “Once they realize that it’s not as safe as they had hoped, they may move on and focus their energy on other resources to take down the Shadow People.” She felt Shane’s hard gaze on her, but she focused on the map before her.

“So,” Shane started. “You’re just going to go up to them and hope they’ll welcome you with open arms?”

Najia met his gaze. “I’m sure they will be thrilled to see me.”

“Oh yeah,” Alex said. “Real thrilled that we ambushed them and stole you back.”

“This is suicide,” Shane said. “They’ll never go for it.”

“Then we wait to die,” Gil said.

“We can’t send Najia right to them,” Shane said.

“We can’t exactly send an army with her, either,” Abigail pointed out. “It will look like an attack.”

“Like we have an army,” Sam muttered.

“Just a few of us will go,” Marlon said.

“Unarmed,” Gil added.

“No.” Shane’s voice was forceful. “You’re kidding.”

“If we don’t present ourselves as a threat, they’ll have no reason to attack,” Gil said.

“We give them what they want and make things easy,” Marlon said. “The valley will be useless to them anyway.”

“I’m going,” Shane said.

Najia pinched her lips together as she met her grandfather’s gaze.

“Me too,” Sam said.

“No way,” Abigail said. “You’re not leaving me behind in this. I want in.”

“We can’t all go,” Najia muttered.

“A group of eight random people will hardly be a threat to them,” Sam said.

“Fine,” John muttered. “But I’m not dragging any bodies out of there.”

Shane threw his bag in the back seat. It slid across, hitting the door on the other side.

“There are guns in there, you know,” Najia said as she walked by him.

“Why didn’t you tell me?” Shane slammed the back door closed.

Najia put her hands on her hips. “I didn’t know we were married and I had to run every decision by you.”

Shane pushed passed her and opened the driver’s side door. “How long were you hiding this from me?”

“I wasn’t hiding anything from you,” Najia hissed. “It’s none of your business.”

“It is my business,” Shane growled. “Because if you get killed, John’s just gonna shove that damn rifle up my ass.”

“At least you’d go out with a smile on your face.”

“Ha!” Shane slid into the seat and slammed the door shut.

Najia rolled her eyes and tapped on the window. It rolled down, but Shane did not turn to face her.

“Should I ride with Alex or…”

“Get in the fucking car,” Shane muttered.

“Watch your fucking language.”

The window rolled up. Najia slid in beside Shane and sighed.

“Stop being so dramatic,” she said.

“Stop making these ridiculous plans.”

There was a tap on the window. Shane rolled it down as Marlon smiled in at them.

“If the Mr. and Mrs. are done arguing, we’d like to get going.”

Shane started the engine. “Piss off.”

“Hey, Shane,” John’s voice called. He stood beside the truck, stroking the rifle in his arms, and smiled at him. “Jane’s never been up someone’s ass before, but she’s all for trying something new. Don’t get her too excited now, ya hear?”

“Get bent,” Shane muttered as he rolled the window up once more. He glared at Najia. “See? Always looking for an excuse to shoot me. This is the last time you’re leaving the valley.”

Najia leaned back in the seat and smiled.

“I’m glad you think that’s funny,” Shane muttered. He followed the truck and the Hummer down the dirt road and through the valley.

“That last one was pretty good.”

“Hilarious.”

“I’m hoping they get better over time. It was starting to get old.”

“We could write a book,” Shane said, waving his hand in the air. “101 Ways to Kill Shane.”

“Chapter one: Shot Gun Blast Up The Ass.”

“Don’t forget the classic Shove The Rifle of a Barrel in Shane’s Face.”

“Oh man,” Najia said. “That would be a hell of a book. I’d read it.”

“Ten bucks says he threatens be at the Gotoro base. Maybe this time Betsy gets some oral pleasure.”

“I’d take you up on that if I had cash.”

“Okay,” Shane said. “One kiss, then.”

Najia turned to him. “Oh, that’s how we’re playing this?”

Shane smiled but did not meet her gaze. “Yeah. That’s how we’re playing this.”

“Fine. You’re on.”

• Skyloft-Farm

They drove through the night and into the next day, not daring to stop for more than a moment. With the discovery of Stardew Valley, time was of the essence for the survivors. It wouldn’t be long before the Shadow People attempted another attack, and they were eager to do whatever they needed to do to survive the war. They were just an hour out from the Gotoro base, and Najia was quickly beginning to doubt their plan.

“This is gonna work,” she said softly to herself.

“It better,” Shane muttered.

“They’re reasonable people,” Najia attempted to assure herself. “They want the same thing we want.”

“Sure,” Shane said. “But the difference between us and them is that we won’t murder innocent people to get there.”

“Except we have,” Najia said. “We’re just as awful as they are.”

Shane gritted his teeth together. “Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do,” he said. “This isn’t a game. People lie and cheat and steal to come out on top.” He hesitated for a moment, as if trying to convince himself as well. “We’re just trying not to end up at the bottom.”

“I stole this ring once,” Najia said. “Awful, ugly thing. They had balls to put this ridiculous price on it.”

Shane smirked. “How did you manage that?”

“It was shortly after my fat, bald, bastard landlord kicked me out for not paying rent. I needed a place to stay.” Najia shrugged. “I wasn’t very smart, but a blowjob will get a girl far when she needs to.”

“You’re kidding.”

“We pretended we were happy in love. I hung on his arm like a trophy wife.” Najia caught Shane’s gaze. “I clean up nice when I want to.” She hesitated and turned her gaze back to the road, watching the old, faded yellow lines run passed the car. “It wasn’t the most expensive ring. A decent one. Can’t be too suspicious, you know? He excused himself. Told me to pick out whatever I wanted. I picked that sucker. Put it on my finger, admired myself in the mirror, babbled on about this great wedding photographer we found, and how we decided to go with a live band.” She turned back to Shane. “Our colors were silver and gold.”

“Classy.”

“And wouldn’t you know it, the fire alarm went off. Everyone stayed pretty calm until smoke came out of the back room. And when they were distracted, I booked it. Straight to the pawn shop with a sob story. ‘Can you believe he got me this ugly thing? I can’t believe I almost went through with it. I’m SO done with men!’ Easy money.”

“You must have been heart broken.”

“I was feeling so good, I pocketed the cash and never saw that guy again. We were supposed to go 50/50 on it.”

Shane met her gaze. “That’s not a true story.”

Najia shrugged. “Believe what you want.”

“You did not blow a guy for free rent.”

“I did a lot more than blow him.”

Shane turned his gaze back to the road.

“Like you’ve never done something you regretted,” Najia muttered.

“Oh, I don’t think you regretted any of that.”

“I was just trying not to end up on the bottom.”

Shane turned back to her, but she was looking out the window.

“I was best friends with Jas’s parents,” Shane said as his eyes moved back to the tailgate of the truck, lit only by the dim tail lights. “Greg and Jess. Knew them for ever.” He hesitated. “I slept with Jess the night they got engaged.”

“Oh, that’s way worse that anything I’ve done.”

“How is that worse?”

“I was just a broke ass homeless girl trying to get by with her good looks. You chose to betray your best friend.”

“Fine, I’m worse,” Shane snapped.

“It’s not like you’re completely to blame,” Najia said. “It takes two.”

“Don’t even go there,” he hissed. “Jess was better than that. We never spoke of it. Greg never knew.”

“Sorry,” Najia muttered.

Shane hesitated. When he spoke again, his voice was just a whisper. “Jas was born nine months later.”

Najia turned to him, her brows knit together. “Is she…”

Shane shook his head. “No. No, of course not.”

“How can you be so sure?”

“Jess… Jess did a DNA test.”

“And made you her godfather.” Najia paused and turned her gaze out the window. “That’s definitely worse.”

Shane gritted his teeth together. “Thanks.”

“Why did you tell me that?” Najia asked softly.

Shane shrugged. “Figured it would make us even. We’re both shitty people.”

“Maybe I can seduce the Gotoro army into taken our alliance offer.” Najia smirked at Shane.

“Wish I had known sooner that that was all it took.”

“Please,” Najia said. “You are of no use to me. I wouldn’t have gained anything from that.”

In their headlights, the tall, wood gates of the Gotoro base loomed before them. Armed men approached as the three vehicles came to a stop. John, Gil, and Marlon stepped our first, their arms raised in defense. Alex, Sam, and Abigail followed suit.

Shane turned to Najia. His hand grabbed hers. “Don’t fuck this up,” he whispered.

“Right,” Najia said. “I know you don’t want a rifle shoved up your ass.” She pulled her hand away and stepped out of the car.

“Who are you?” one of the Gotoro men barked at them.

“What business do you have here?”

Najia stepped into the headlights, her arms raised, her heart racing. “I think Michaels is looking for me.” She forced herself to straighten in an attempt to appear confident, but her knees shook, threatening to throw her body to the ground. She placed her hands on her hips and pinched her lips. “Here I am.”

• Skyloft-Farm

“The cuffs really aren’t necessary,” Najia mumbled as the Gotoro soldiers pushed them each down to the ground. “We friggen came unarmed.”

“And you killed our men,” one of the soldiers hissed.

“Water under the bridge, hm?”

“How do you know about Michaels?” the soldier snapped at her.

Najia turned to Shane. “Can you believe this guy? Is that how we talk to women around here?”

“Najia,” Shane warned.

Najia turned back to the man standing above her and smiled. He cocked his gun.

“You think you’re funny?”

“No,” Najia started. “I think I deserve better treatment for turning myself in.”

The man’s hand came down hard against her face. Her cheek stung and she spat blood on the ground.

“I don’t think Michaels would be happy with the way you’re treating his most valuable asset.”

The man got down on one knee and peered at Najia, smiling wickedly. “I think you’re confidence is wearing thin, and you didn’t quite think this plan of yours through.”

Najia gritted her teeth together. “Where’s Michaels?”

“Michaels is no longer interested in you.”

Najia’s heart raced, panicked. “Then I guess he doesn’t want to know about Stardew Valley.”

The man held his gaze on her. “And why are you coming to us now?”

“We all want the same thing, don’t we?” Najia said. “We just don’t go around kidnapping innocent people to get that information.”

“And what is it do you think we want?”

Najia hesitated. “An end to the war? To defeat the Shadow People?”

The man got to his feet, his hard expression unchanging. He did not break his gaze on Najia. He reached for the radio at his hip and spoke into it. “Tell Michaels he has a special visitor.”

The cuffs were removed from their wrists as they were lead down a long hallway and through a door at the end. The door opened up to a large room that looked like it was once used as a large storage facility. Two armed men stood at the door, their hard eyes on their visitors as the door closed behind them.

“Stop being a smart ass,” Shane hissed to Najia.

“Well, I can’t exactly come in a terrified mess, blubbering and begging them not to kill us. It kind of ruins the whole thing.”

Shane’s face softened. “Are you okay?”

Najia rolled her eyes. “I’ve been hit harder, and by women.”

“Who is Michaels, anyway?” John asked.

Najia shrugged. “Some name I overheard.”

“We heard it, too,” Marlon said. “When they threw us in their dungeon.”

“Must be someone important,” Alex muttered.

“I guess we’ll find out soon enough,” Gil said.

“Just do me a favor,” Shane said. “Don’t fuck with him.”

“Do you mean that literally, or figuratively?” Najia smirked at Shane as he narrowed his eyes at her.

“Michaels,” Sam said softly. “He’s the one?” His voice hardened. “The one who murdered my dad?”

“Don’t you damn make any rash moves,” Gil hissed at him.

“Not until we tell you to, at least,” Marlon said.

“He’s not leaving this room alive,” Sam muttered.

“Neither will you, kid,” John said. “You’ll get your chance. Just not today.”

“That’s the thing with war,” Marlon said. “It’s a chess game. You gotta pick your moves carefully.”

Gil let his hand rest on Sam’s shoulder. “His death will be much more enjoyable later on, I promise you that.”

Sam gritted his teeth together. His eyes shot towards the door as the knob turned. The men stepped aside as five more armed men entered. One walked in the middle of them.

“This certainly is a surprise,” Michaels said as he stepped out from the protection of his guards. He met Najia’s gaze and smiled. “What a pleasure it is to see you again.”

Najia held her gaze but said nothing.

“To what do I owe the pleasure?” Michaels asked, his arms spread apart. His green eyes seemed to sparkle under the unnatural glow of the LED lights hanging from the high ceiling.

“We’re here to strike a deal,” Najia said. “Allies, in exchange for whatever you want to know about the valley.”

Michaels folded his hands together and smiled. “I bet you don’t remember much about the last time you were here, do you?”

“I remember being pretty fucked up,” Najia muttered.

“A little something my guys put together.” He narrowed his eyes at Shane. “Unfortunately, you felt the need to shoot one of them.”

“It was my pleasure,” Shane hissed.

“I assure you it was not harmful,” Michaels continued, turning back to Najia. “Just a little necessity for us to get the information we needed from you.”

“And did the results please you?” Najia said through her teeth.

Michaels’s expression hardened. “Not particularly. Getting the truth out of you was easy enough thanks to that drug. But it was not good news.” He put his hands in his pockets. His suit jacket opened slightly as he did so, revealing a handgun tucked into his pants. “It seems as though the valley doesn’t hold as many promises as we had hoped. While the light may be magic or miracle, it means nothing if we can’t get out hands on its source.”

“Well, I hate to tell ya,” Najia said. “But I have a feeling whatever that source may be, it’s just as useless.”

Michaels cocked his head to the side slightly. “And why’s that?”

“We were invaded by the Shadow People,” she said. “The darkness got through somehow.”

“Yet here you are, still alive. Tell me - how did that happen?”

“A stroke of dumb fucking luck?”

“Is that all you came to tell me?” Michaels said. “That there’s some dumb luck in the valley that you think I can use to win this war?”

“I’m here to tell you whatever you want. Whatever I can to help us win. And in exchange, protection. You and I both know that there’s something in the valley that could help us. The valley needs protecting before the Shadow People get to it first. And they’re likely on their way as we speak. You help us, and I’ll tell you whatever you need to know.”

Michaels sighed. “That’s just the thing - you don’t seem to know as much as you lead on.”

“You don’t know so much yourself,” she said. “Did you know I was kidnapped by the Shadow People? Before the invasion even happened?”

Michaels stroked the stubble on his chin. “And what can you tell me about that?”

“What do you want to know?”

“Everything,” he said. “What did they want with you?”

“The same thing you do,” Najia said. “They wanted to know about the valley. But I knew even less about it, then.”

“What did they ask you specifically?” Michaels asked. “About the magic?”

Najia pinched her lips together. “I don’t remember much,” she said. “I would tell you if I knew. I remember escaping, jumping out a fourth story window, and somehow surviving unharmed.”

“I assume they didn’t simply ask you questions,” Michaels said.

“Yes, they beat the shit out of me, in ways you couldn’t even imagine,” Najia hissed.

“Oh, I think I could.” Michaels turned and paced before her, his thumbs in his belt. “And I think we could get some of those forgotten memories and see if there’s any good information in there.”

“More drugs?” Najia’s voice was on the verge of a whine.

Michaels smiled. “No, this will require deeper access in to your subconscious. Your repressed memories. Torture will do that to a person. It’s the only way we can survive through the pain.”

“And you’re an expert?” Najia searched his eyes when they met hers.

“We could put you under hypnosis,” he said simply. “See what comes to life.”

Najia hesitated. “And you think that will work?”

“Oh, it will work. It will work so well that you’ll likely be unable to repress those memories again.” He smiled at her. “The downside, unfortunately.”

• Skyloft-Farm

Michaels lead the way through the building. The Gotoro soldiers walked closely together around them, their weapons in their hands, ready.

“I don’t like this,” Shane muttered to Najia.

“You get the easy part,” Najia hissed to him. “You get to sit there while I get to relive hell.”

“You think that’s the easy part?”

“You just always have to one-up me, don’t ya?”

“Shane’s just ‘fearin’ for his life,” John muttered.

“I heard he was looking forward to it,” Alex said with a smirk.

“Fine,” Shane said. “Two can play at this game. You better hope we get out of this alive or you can blow the barrel of my gun.”

“Is that really how you talk to your elders?” John said.

“Yeah, Shane,” Najia said playfully. “Come on, man. Bad taste.”

“I can’t win,” he muttered.

“Plus, you’d both be dead, anyway,” Alex pointed out. “So, it just wouldn’t work.”

“Maybe you should just turn it around on him,” Abigail suggested. “Whenever he threatens to shoot you, you threaten to shoot him.”

“Yeah,” Shane said, narrowing his eyes at John. “What she said.”

“What the smart girl said for you because you’re too stupid to think for yourself?” John smirked at Shane.

“They talk a lot for prisoners,” Marlon muttered.

“We can’t be prisoners,” Najia said. “We came to an agreement.”

“No one shook on it,” Sam said.

Michaels stopped at a door and turned to face them, smiling. “Someone’s paying attention,” he said. He met Sam’s hard gaze before turning to Najia. “I’m a man of my word. We can help each other.” He held out his hand.

Najia stared at his hand, hesitant, before meeting his gaze. “I’ve come to learn that in war, no one’s word can be trusted.”

“Well,” he said. “That’s a decision you will have to make, as I am also making.”

Najia narrowed her eyes at him. “You think a rag-tag group of runaways have the ability to turn their back on a potential enemy?”

“I think anything can happen in war. I’ve been surprised enough myself to know that not everything is as it seems.” He smiled at Najia. His eyes seemed to look right through her, sending a shiver up her spine.

Najia took his hand in hers and they shook once.

“Then it’s done,” he said simply, opening the door before them. They walked into a room much smaller than the last, but certainly big enough for all the equipment it contained. In the middle of the room was a single chair, much like the ones Najia had seen in doctors’ offices. Around the chair were various machines and cords.

“That’s not creepy,” Najia muttered.

“We’re prepared to take care of you,” Michaels said. “We’ll do our best to keep you alive.” He gestured towards the chair. Beside it stood a man in a form of white scrubs. He waited as Najia approached the chair and slowly sat down. The chair leaned back slightly and the man began to prep Najia, attaching pads and wires to her head and chest.

“Just so we can monitor your heart race,” Michaels assured her.

Najia felt a pinch in her hand. She watched as an IV was placed. Her heart raced faster and faster as something new was attached to her. She looked across the room to where the others stood, heavily guarded. She could see the fear in each of their faces as they looked on and wondered if they could see fear in her. She leaned her head back and stared up at the ceiling.

The room was darker than the darkest night she could remember. Even darker than the haze that covered their world. A darkness that would have surely swallowed her whole, yet she could somehow see through it. She could see the dark, shadowy figure standing before her. It’s eyes glowed too brightly in the room.

“Where it the Sword of Light?” it asked her. It’s voice was deep and twisted. A painful bolt of fear seemed to rip through her chest.

“What is it, Najia?” Michaels asked.

Her eyes were wide as she stared up at the ceiling. Her chest heaved as she struggled to gasp for breath. The monitors beeped dangerously.

“It’s him,” Najia gasped. “Nox.”

“Who is Nox?”

“Their leader,” she said between gasps. “The leader of the Shadow People.”

“You can understand him? What does he want?”

“The Sword of Light.”

The monitors beeped faster, erratically. Najia’s fingers scratched at the arm rests. Her nails dug into the material, revealing the thin stuffing inside.

“What is the Sword of Light?” Michaels pressed. “Is it in the valley?”

The beeping spiked once more, growing faster as Najia’s heart raced violently in her chest.

“Sir,” the doctor said at his side. “She’ll go into cardiac arrest.”

“Where is it?” Michaels shouted to her.

“I don’t know,” Najia sobbed. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

A chilling sensation shot through her chest. Frozen air seemed to wrap around her heart as she gasped for breath. Her breath came out as an icy fog in the darkness. She gasped once more, but there was no air left to fill her aching lungs. Her body screamed in writhing agony as she tried once more to breathe.

“Go to the valley,” Nox said.

Najia choked on the air that suddenly filled her lungs. Her lungs burned as she fought to catch her breath. The chilling sensation passed through her and disappeared.

Najia gasped for breath as her eyes flew open. The bright LED lights hanging from the ceiling burned at her retinas. She closed her eyes as she waited for her breathing to return to normal. She opened her eyes slowly once more and peered to the side at Michaels.

“Najia? Are you okay?”

“Go to hell,” she muttered through her clenched teeth.

Michaels straightened and smiled, pleased with himself. He turned to the doctor, his lips moving, but Najia could not make out the words. She fought against her spinning head, fighting to keep her stomach at bay. She turned her head to the side, examining the room. Shane was on his knees as two men held him back, as if they were just fighting to keep him still. Najia stared at him blankly before turning back to the ceiling.

“I don’t think you have much more to tell us,” Michaels said as he turned back to Najia. “Fortunately for you, because anymore would have killed you.”

“It did kill her, you fucking prick,” Shane shouted to him.

“We may be in a apocalyptic war zone,” Michaels said. “But we’re not without modern technology, capable of bringing someone back from the dead. She was hardly in danger.”

Najia continued to stare up at the ceiling, her eyes searching the white panels.

“What did you see, Najia?”

“Darkness,” she muttered. Her eyes traced the edges of each panel in the ceiling. Her brows knit together. “But I could see Nox. I could hear him. I understood him.”

“It seems that way,” Michaels said. “Very interesting. What else?”

Najia hesitated. “It was cold. My chest… I couldn’t breathe.”

“The touch of the Shadow People,” Michaels said. “A chilling, deadly touch. An instant kill if they wanted it to be.”

Najia moved her gaze on to Michaels’s. “Are we done here?” she hissed.

The doctor checked her vitals quickly before removing the equipment attached to her.

“Easy now,” he said to her as she swung her legs over the side. She slid on to her feet and immediately collapsed under her own weight. Released from the hold of the soldiers, Shane ran to her side, pulling her into his lap.

“I had hoped that the sword was real, hiding in the valley,” Michaels said casually.

Najia gritted her teeth as Shane helped her to her feet. She leaned on him for support, glaring at Michaels.

“Is this the part where you go back on our deal?” she muttered.

“I’m a man of my word,” he said with a smile. “And I still believe the valley could offer us a chance at winning this war. I will defend it until I know for certain otherwise. My men will guide you back to the valley. They will set up camp around the valley where I will have an army stationed for defense. Please do treat them kindly.”

Michaels turned to his men, barking orders at them as John hurried to Najia’s side, wrapping her arm around him for support. The Gotoro soldiers guided them out of the building and back to their vehicles where an army was already waiting in various vehicles.

With Shane’s help, Najia feebly got into the Trans Am. She leaned against the seat, exhausted, her eyes closed as she sighed through her nose. She felt Shane’s hand on hers and she met his concerned gaze.

“Can we go home now?” she said weakly, her voice soft. She closed her eyes again.

Shane’s hand squeezed hers. “Yeah.” He stood and closed the door.

Najia watched as he and John spoke angrily to one another. Their voices were muffled through the car, but she was able to pick out a few words that suggested their conversation was of their dehumanizing treatment from the Gotoro soldiers. Surely Shane would be angry at her for suggesting this plan.

She watched her grandfather’s hand rest on Shane’s soldier for a moment before he turned away. Their eyes turned to Najia before John turned to get in to the truck. Shane slid into the seat beside her and stared out the windshield for a moment. As the vehicles started to pull out, Shane started the engine and joined them.

“The sword is real,” Najia said softly. She turned her head to check Shane’s expression. His brows knit together and his knuckles whitened on the steering wheel.

“Why didn’t you tell Michaels?” he asked.

Najia turned away and closed her eyes. “I don’t think he can know about it.” She hesitated. “Rasmodius has it. He’s working on it. He said it could potentially end the war. But they can’t know about him. I don’t know how much of the valley is dependent on him or not.” Her voice shook as she spoke. “I just don’t know. I don’t know what to do. But I don’t think Michaels can know. We have to keep the valley safe, Shane.”

“I don’t think the valley is worth dying over,” Shane muttered.

“Without the valley, we have nothing. We’ll lose the war.”

“Maybe we should let the trained soldiers protect the valley, then,” Shane hissed. “We’re nothing but people that accidentally found the one place everyone is after. They will kill us all to get to it. Maybe it’s time we high tail it outta there and let them nuke each other over it. This isn’t our fight.”

“No,” Najia said, her voice hard. “Maybe it’s not your fight, but it’s my fight. I didn’t choose to be in this, but I am. And I just have this feeling, Shane. We can’t just give up the valley. There’s so much more to all of this. So much more we don’t know about.”

“And when are we going to know?” Shane asked angrily. “Because time’s running out.”

“Soon,” Najia said. “This war is only just beginning.”

“Najia.” Shane hesitated, his voice softer. “This isn’t your fight. You don’t have to do this. You don’t have to die for the valley.”

“I’m not dying,” she muttered. “Not yet.”

“You did die,” Shane shouted. “You had a fucking heart attack and died. Right there in that damn chair.”

“I’m alive now,” Najia muttered.

“I can’t keep doing this, Najia,” Shane said angrily. “I can’t watch you get hurt or kidnapped or killed any more.” Shane met her gaze. “I will fight with you - for you - to the fucking end, Najia, but please don’t make me watch you die.”

“Shane…”

Shane turned his gaze back to the road.

“Why are you saying this?”

“Because,” Shane started.

“No. Stop. Don’t say anything.”

Shane turned to her. “What?”

“Just stop talking.”

Shane hesitated. “Why?”

“Because you’re going to say something stupid.”

“No I wasn’t.”

“Yes you were.”

“Why do you think its stupid?”

“Because you’re stupid,” Najia muttered. “You’re not thinking straight. Too caught up in the drama. We’re not doing this. No emotions.”

“You’re being ridiculous.”

“I’m being completely reasonable. We’re fighting for our lives. We could die at any moment. It will just be a hell of a lot easier if you just keep your hole shut.”

Shane’s brows knit together as he stared at the tail lights in front of them. “Just don’t make me watch you die again.”

Minimanta and Ardalis like this.
                                    • Skyloft-Farm

“Please,” Najia begged. “No more wires.” She waved Harvey’s hand away.

Harvey sighed. “I don’t like what they did to you,” he said. “You need to be monitored.”

John snorted and crossed his arms. “You don’t like it? I would have taken every last one of them down with me if something happened.”

“I don’t want wires,” Najia said, her voice shaking.

Harvey nodded. “Okay,” he said softly. “No wires. But you’re staying here tonight.”

Najia sighed and leaned against the back of the bed which was slanted upward as Harvey looked her over.

“You can’t stay up all night with her,” John said. “When was the last time you even slept?”

“I’m fine,” Harvey muttered. “I performed my first assisted suicide just the other day, but I’m fine.”

“Harvey.”

“I’ll stay,” Shane said. “Harvey needs a decent night sleep before he scares the kids. They already think he looks like a zombie.”

John nodded. “I feel like one, myself.”

“Fine,” Harvey said reluctantly. “But if anything seems off, you get me immediately.”

“Sleep tight,” John said to them with a nod before leaving the cabin.

Harvey yawned and let his mug of cold coffee sit on his makeshift desk in the back of the room. “I’ll just be in here,” he said as he made his way to the door in the back. “Wake me, please.”

Shane pulled up a chair and sat beside the bed.

“You don’t have to do this,” Najia muttered.

“Harvey says you need to be monitored.”

“Whatever.” She sighed and attempted to settle into the bed. Despite her exhaustion, her mind seemed to be on full alert. Her pulse felt uneven and anxiety twisted in her chest. Her fingers scratched at the sheets until Shane’s hand found hers.

“Am I doing the right thing?” she asked softly.

Shane hesitated. “I don’t think I can give you an unbiased answer. Everything you do is stupid to me.”

Najia turned her gaze to the ceiling. “It’s been six months since the invasion, and I’m still waiting to wake up from this nightmare. It just keeps getting worse.”

“You’ll just have to stop leaving the valley.”

“And let you guys have all the fun?” She forced a smile.

“Let me know when the fun starts,” he muttered.

“If you take away the darkness, the war, and the possibility of death constantly at your doorstep, it has been kind of fun. Like a road trip across the country.”

“A road trip with a really annoying stranger.” Shane returned her smile.

“You said you wouldn’t change any of it.”

Shane pinched his lips together as he considered this. “Maybe some of it.” He hesitated. “I could have really done without the Taylor Swift songs.”

Najia rolled onto her side. Her smile disappeared. “I wish I knew what to do. I wish someone could tell me what to do.”

“Not getting killed is a good start,” Shane said.

Najia shrugged. “I’ll try.”

“Najia.” Shane hesitated.

“You should go home,” she said quickly.

Shane shook his head. “You know I’m not doing that.”

“You’re going to say something stupid again.”

“I don’t say stupid things,” Shane growled.

“You do all the time.”

“Why do you have to be so difficult?”

“Because,” Najia said. She hesitated. “Because-”

Shane pressed his lips against hers. Najia’s heart leapt in her throat as he lingered against her for a moment.

“What was that for?” she asked softly when he pulled away.

“To shut you up.”

Najia sighed softly through her nose and closed her eyes. “I’m too tired to argue with you.”

A chilling sensation moved over her skin, seeping through and touching her bones. It grew quickly colder as it seemed to deepen inside of her, moving through her body and freezing her organs in its wake. The cold clutched at her heart like boney fingers. It squeezed at her lungs until they ached painfully in her chest. Her breathing grew short and forced until she was left gasping for air that wasn’t there.

She watched herself collapse to the floor, alone in the darkest darkness she had ever endured. A single trail of blood fell from her eye like a tear as she continued to gasp on the floor. Her fingers reached and scratched at the surface in an attempt to pull her out of the danger she was in. Najia watched the creature dying on the ground with cold, dead eyes. She felt nothing as she watched and waited.

“Kill her,” Nox whispered in her ear. His voice shot a calming wave through her body and she sighed.

“Kill her.”

Najia lifted the seemingly weightless sword with one hand. She caught her own fearful gaze, pleading with herself. Her knuckles whitened as she gripped the sword in both hands and stepped over her target. She brought the sword down hard into her chest, holding her gaze, watching as her eyes darkened.

Something was restraining her. She couldn’t move. And there was something loud. Very loud.

She opened her eyes and it was quiet. Her screaming stopped. Shane’s strong arms wrapped around her as she panted. Her hair was drenched with sweat. Her fingers clutched at his hands, her nails digging into her palms until they started to bleed. She looked down at the tiny drops of blood and pulled her hands away violently, gasping.

“What-what happened?” she sobbed.

“Hey,” Shane whispered to her. “I’m here. I’m here.”

Najia’s eyes darted around the dark room as her heart raced slowed. She shook violently in Shane’s arms and he pulled her closer to him. She relaxed against his chest and sobbed. She heard footsteps coming towards them. She squeezed her eyes shut as the images flashed in her mind. She heard Harvey’s voice, but could not make out his words.

“No,” Shane said sternly. “No drugs.”

Najia’s body shuttered as she gasped, her breathing still uneven. Shane’s arms tightened around her.

Harvey’s fingers found the pulse in her neck. “I wish she’d let me hook her up,” he muttered.

“No wires,” Najia sobbed quietly.

“I know,” he cooed to her. “I promise.”

Shane’s arms pulled away. Najia whimpered as the warmth of his body moved away from her. She curled up against the bed, her eyes still tightly closed as Shane’s hand found hers. His voice sounded too quiet and distant as he spoke to Harvey.

“I don’t know.” Harvey’s voice was heavy with regret. “This could last the rest of her life.”

“There has to be something you can do.”

“Let’s give her a chance.”

Footsteps moved away from her to the other side of the room. A door closed softly. A body moved beside her, sitting on the bed. Shane swung his legs up, pulling Najia to him.

“Don’t leave,” Najia whimpered.

“I’m not going anywhere,” he said softly. His fingers brushed against her cheek. “I promise.”

Najia squinted in the early morning light. She blinked quickly as she took in her surroundings, her mind refocusing on reality. She was home. She was safe. Her eyes moved to Shane, meeting his gaze.

“Hi,” she said softly.

Shane smiled. “Hi.”

Najia hesitated. “Why are you still here?”

His smile disappeared. “Fine.” He pulled away, but Najia pulled him back. She lay her head against his chest and sighed.

“Did you sleep?” she asked.

“Probably less than you did.”

“You should go home.”

“I’m here as long as you need me.”

Najia stared at the equipment beside the bed. “I don’t want to be here anymore,” she said quietly.

“Okay,” he said. “Where do you want to go?”

Najia hesitated. “I don’t know.” She pushed herself up and looked around the room.

Shane swung his legs over the bed and stretched. “I’ll go tell Doc we’re getting out of here.”

Najia stared out the window as Shane disappeared in the other room. He and Harvey emerged a moment later. Harvey’s smile was bright as Najia met his gaze.

“How are you feeling?” he asked her as he grabbed the stethoscope from around his neck. It was cold against her skin.

“Can I go?” she mumbled.

“I know I’m not the most exciting person in the world,” Harvey said. “But I didn’t think my company was that excruciating.”

Najia stared at him blankly, waiting for an answer.

Harvey hesitated, then sighed. “Yes, you may go.”

Najia swung her legs over the bed and got to her feet. She hesitated, as if expecting herself to collapse, then moved towards the door and stepped out into the cool, early morning air.

Shane walked beside her as she walked down the dirt road towards the cabin. It was empty. She stopped in the middle of the room, eyeing the two rifles in the corner carefully.

“What do you want to do?” Shane asked carefully.

Najia pulled her shirt over her head and shimmied out of her jeans.

Shane turned around quickly. “You know, I can go…”

Najia grunted as she pulled a fresh t-shirt over her head and shoulders. Shane turned around again as she buttoned her jeans. She grabbed the clothes off the floor and tossed them into the unlit fireplace. She stared at them as if expecting them to jump back out. In her mind, a fire ignited, burning violently, flames flickering, reaching out towards her.

Najia backed away quickly until Shane’s body stopped her. Her knees gave out as she fell into him, shaking and sobbing. Shane held her close, his head resting against hers as he whispered in her ear.

“I’m here,” he said. “I promise.”

• Skyloft-Farm

Najia spent the next few days in the corner of the cabin, under Shane’s continuous watchful eye. Her tremors lessened quickly and Shane was finally able to convince her to leave the cabin. The warmth of the sun on her skin felt comforting. She took to watching Jas play with the chickens. Jas eagerly told her about their favorite treats and let her throw dried corn out for them.

The nightmares did not disappear completely, but Najia found herself adjusting to life in the valley once more. Autumn had come to a cold ending and the first flurries of snow had begun to fall around them.

The first weeks of winter were uncomfortably quiet. The Gotoro army continued to patrol the outskirts of the valley and mountain range. From time to time, they wandered in to town, looking for a hot cup of coffee, but they were often met with hateful glares. Helicopters often flew over the valley, dropping off supplies and switching out men in their troops. The helicopters moved over the land, keeping a careful eye for any sign of the Shadow People. But it was still much too quiet.

Najia found herself staring into the crystal ball one snowy morning in an attempt to interpret whatever message it contained.

“Thanks to your help,” Rasmodius said causally, “the Sword of Light is almost ready.”

Najia peered passed the crystal ball, narrowing her eyes at the wizard. “And thanks to that day, I’ll likely never be able to sleep again.”

Rasmodius smiled at Najia. “One thing at a time. I’ll fix you up next.”

“You can fix this?”

“One of the easier things I can do.”

“Good. You better, because this is all you fault.”

Rasmodius turned away from her. “Sacrifices need to be made in war, Najia.”

Najia straightened. “What other sacrifices need to be made?”

“There’s no getting anything past you,” he said. He held the sword in his hands, turning it over carefully. It seemed to glow softly with its latest dose of magic. “The Sword of Light is a very powerful weapon. There’s no way to really know for sure what it is capable of.” He turned and met Najia’s gaze. “But I can almost guarantee that the outcome, while successful, will be deadly.”

“Deadly for the Shadow People?”

“And potentially deadly for anyone in its path. Including the one who wields it.”

“Another sacrifice,” Najia muttered, looking into the ball once more.

“There’s still time,” the wizard said. “Decisions do not have to be made this moment.”

Najia turned her eyes upward at him. “Are you saying it needs to be me?”

Rasmodius shook his head. “I’m saying, eventually, someone will need to take the sword.” He hesitated, looking into the ball. “And the Gotoro army should be on alert, because the Shadow People are finally making their move.”

Najia’s heart raced. “What have they been waiting for?” she muttered.

“A few things, most likely,” Rasmodius said. “But they’re also not quite fond of cold weather, either.”

Najia rolled her eyes. “Why now?”

“I suspect they just want to do some damage. Get a good look. Weaken our defense. Gather some intel for themselves. Shake us up a bit. They’re into that psychological warfare.”

“I know,” Najia said simply, meeting his gaze. “Is it going to be like last time?”

Rasmodius shook his head. “This is a weak group.”

“Disposable,” Najia said. “They’re sending in their own kind with the expectation that they’ll just be eliminated.”

“Sacrificed.”

“Looks like we’re on the same page as our enemy,” Najia muttered.

Rasmodius ignored her remark. “They’ll be here late tonight,” he said simply.

Najia left the wizard alone in his tower. She trudged through the snow as it fell softly around her. She made her way through the forest and passed the ranch where Jas and Vincent were playing outside. They ran towards Shane, shoving him into a snow bank. He grabbed Jas in one arm and Vincent in the other as he got back up. He spun them around, tossing them into the snow pile in a fit of laughter. He turned and smiled at Najia as she made her way to them. His smile disappeared when he saw the worried expression on her face.

“What’s up?” he asked.

“I just talked to Rasmodius,” she said softly. “He said a wave of Shadow People are heading our way. They’ll be here tonight.”

Shane pinched his lips and nodded. “Do we stand a chance?” he muttered.

Najia hesitated. “I think so. Rasmodius seems to think its a weaker army. But I wouldn’t take any chances. Maybe a distraction for something bigger.”

“We need to tell the Gotoro,” he said, but at that moment, they could hear the faint sound of a helicopter coming over the distant mountain range. It grew louder quickly as the craft hovered low, flying over them and into the valley.

“I have a feeling they already know,” Najia said as they watched the helicopter fly past them.

Shane turned his gaze to Jas and Vincent, still playing in the snow. Marnie, Lewis, and John walked towards them at that moment, smiles on their faces.

“Why so glum?” John asked as he put his arm around his granddaughter’s shoulders.

“The Shadow People are on their way,” Najia said. “Rasmodius said they’ll be here tonight.”

John nodded. “You should know,” he started. “If anything ever happens to the valley… there’s a way out. Through the mountains. Old mining tunnels that go through the northern mountain range.”

“The valley was the only safe place,” Najia said. “If we are forced out of the valley, we have nothing left.”

“But you still have a chance,” Joh said sternly. “A chance to escape. And you should be prepared to do that if it comes down to that tonight.” He turned to Marnie. “You and the children should hide there. If no one comes to get you by dawn, you get out of the valley.”

Marnie pinched her lips together and nodded.

“There are guns and food and water stored in the tunnels you can take with you,” John continued. “Even a Jeep on the other side. I’ll show you where everything is.”

Marnie and Lewis followed John back through the trees and into town. Shane turned to Najia, his brows knit together.

“Stay with Jas,” he said.

Najia shook her head. “I’m not hiding in some damn-”

“Najia,” Shane growled. “Please don’t get involved in this.”

“None of us need to be involved,” Najia said. “There’s a trained army ready for their attack.”

“And they’ll need all the help they can get,” Shane said. “And I need to know that you and Jas are safe.”

Najia bit her lip and turned to Jas and Vincent as they rolled together the beginnings of a snowman. She didn’t dare argue with Shane.

They spent the afternoon preparing themselves for the attack. Just before nightfall, Marnie and Penny gathered Vincent and Jas, bringing them into the mines where they would wait out the night. Maru, Haley, Emily, Sandy and Jodi accompanied them. Despite his arguments, Harvey too joined them in the mines, because according to John, he was their most important asset.

Najia watched as the last of the sun’s rays stretched out over the horizon. The men had packed their weapons into the Hummer and were preparing to join the Gotoro army as they waited for the Shadow People to attack. Leah made her way to Najia’s side.

“Room for me in there?” she asked. “Unfortunately, I’m not a very good shot. Otherwise I’d be on the front lines.”

“Wish they’d let me out there,” Najia muttered.

“I think you’ve been through enough, don’t you?”

“I should be out there,” she said. “After what I did… letting Morris go…”

“Don’t worry,” Leah said. “No one hates you anymore.”

Najia rolled her eyes. “That’s the least of my problems,” she said. She turned to the entrance of the mines where Shane was on his knees, Jas in his arms. He kissed her forehead delicately. His lips moved into a smile as she spoke to him. Najia turned away as Shane stood and Jas hurried into the dark tunnel. Shane shoved his hands in his pockets and walked toward the two women.

“Want to hide out with us?” Leah asked him.

“With the hormonal pregnant chick?” Shane said. “No thank you. I would rather be shot than deal with that.”

Leah narrowed her eyes at him. “Haley is doing an incredibly brave, selfless thing.”

“Shane doesn’t do selfless,” Najia said. “Everything’s about him.”

Shane folded his arms across his chest. “Clearly.”

“Its always about you,” she said. “I don’t even get a choice apparently.”

“What choice do you want?” he said.

“The choice to go out there and fight.”

“There’s no reason for you to be out there,” he said.

“There’s no reason for any of us to be out there,” Najia hissed. “You’re just being the same arrogant ass that you always are.”

Leah watched as Najia and Shane bickered. “Will you two just fuck already?” she shouted to them. They turned to her, their eyes wide.

“Excuse me?” Najia said, narrowing her eyes at Leah.

Leah pointed at the both of them. “The sexual tension between you guys is ridiculous,” she said. “It’s going to start rubbing off on everyone else if you don’t fucking control yourselves.”

Shane turned to Najia and smirked. She rolled her eyes and pushed him out of the way.

“Get over yourself,” she barked at him.

“Just do me and get it over with,” Shane called after her.

“You’ve got a hand,” Najia shouted over her shoulder.

“Smooth, Romeo,” Leah said to Shane. She followed Najia into the cavern.

Shane chased after them. He grabbed Najia’s hand and she stopped walking. She turned to Shane, ignoring Leah as she walked passed, winking at her, and disappeared around the corner.

“I’m not doing you,” Najia hissed.

But Shane’s playful gaze was gone. “No matter what happens,” he said. “If we don’t get out of this alive, take Jas and get the hell out of here.”

Najia swallowed and nodded slowly.

“Don’t come back for anything.”

“Fine,” she hissed.

Shane let her hand go, holding his gaze for a moment before turning away from her.

“Shane.” Najia wrapped her arms around his neck as he turned around. “Just come back.”

Shane held Najia tightly and rested her forehead against hers. “I’ll do my best.”

Najia pressed her lips against his. Shane’s hands moved through her hair as he pushed closer into her. He pushed her back into the rough wall and moved his lips against hers. Najia’s breath caught in her throat as his body pressed into hers. She tightened her arms around him, unwilling to let him go.

Shane hesitated, his lips hovering just above hers as voices grew from outside. He met Najia’s gaze, his mouth open as if he were going to say something, but he closed it and pushed away from her.

“See ya later,” Najia muttered.

Shane forced a smile, hesitating for a moment before turning away from her and making his way outside. Najia stood against the wall and watched as he disappeared.

Minimanta likes this.
                                        • Skyloft-Farm

I see likes, but you guys have been super quiet. Everything okay? You guys doing good? Fic is still fairly interesting??? lol ^_^