1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

UES Contact Light in StarMade

Discussion in 'Fan Works' started by mageblood, Dec 23, 2014.

1. mageblood

mageblood Big Damn Hero

I have yet to contribute any fanworks despite how much I have been on the forum (which isn't actually that much, and only tiny contributions here and there), so I decided to do something interesting that I haven't seen yet on this forum. Anyway...

I have recreated the UES Contact Light in StarMade, as the title says. Can't really say how long it took to build, all I know is that it has taken a few hours thus far. There is still much more to build on it, and it will take a while before I complete it; I have done tons of building in it and nothing else, it gets tiring.

I have based this on both images from in-game screenshots of the UES during the intro as well as the lego fanworks on this forum found here (click). Without further ado, put into spoilers to take less space, the beginnings of the UES on StarMade:

Exterior 1 and 2
    UES Exterior 1.png
    UES Exterior 2.png
    The containers on the back are for the escape pods. We never hear or see where they are in the game, so I decided this would be the best, and likely most logical, position for them, right by the control room. Exterior 2 has a shop station and an asteroid in the background, they are not part of the ship. Ext 2 shows the escape pod hangars open.

Escape pods are identical in each, this is the interior.
    UES Escape Pod Hangar.png
    The green boxes show the size limit of docked ships, the escape pods which have yet to be built.

The helm, control room, flight deck, whatever else it is known as.
    UES Interior.png
    This is viewed from the door in the back that leads to the hallway to the escape pods.

Since this is not complete, there are likely to be many changes to the ship. Note, some images were slightly edited (size) to allow uploading.

Unrelated yet related at the same time, my longest RoR run. I actually killed every stage of Providence in 1 hit, including both worms at once. This was before the 1.2 update when getting too many soldier syringes (or any attack speed item) would cause your attack speed to reset and eventually go to infinity/zero (depending on how you look at it). The only attack I COULD do was Blinding Assault since attack speed does not effect it, all others would no longer activate/work or the animation of the attack would literally take 5 minutes to play before I could move again.
    Providence One Shot.png

Lecic and Pix like this.
    • Pix

Pix Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Wow! That's awesome!

That run though... You made an evil amount of purchases...

• mageblood

mageblood Big Damn Hero

Thank you. Since this next month is an anime binge for me, on top of me sleeping longer and longer each day (no idea why, slept 10 hours, then 14, and just now 17 hours), this may take a while longer before I complete it.

I know, I tried :megusta:
        Actually, it surprised me as well, sat there and laughed for a minute that I managed such a perfect number.

• Omen267901

Omen267901 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Agreed. also, nice OneShot avatar.

Pix likes this.
          • TheMugbearer

TheMugbearer Phantasmal Quasar

I like it! Though I never played StarMade, but I find your version of Contact Light quite alike. Also I am glad I've got you inspired by my LEGO creation. =)

• mageblood

mageblood Big Damn Hero

StarMade is pretty much Minecraft in space. Or Terraria, in 3D, in space. I would suggest checking it out, it is still in early alpha and is still free to play. It can be purchased for $10 I believe through Steam or their website, but there doesn't seem to be a real difference from what I have seen/heard. Don't know how long it will stay free, also don't know if the price will go up, but I think it will be worth it anyway.

I did try to model the Contact Light after your lego version, with a few modifications based on what is seen in the official RoR game. It is tough trying to make it look good/accurate while still being a viable ship to use in-game. Thank you, and your lego work is great, would love to see more if/when you decide to make more.

• Lecic

Lecic Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

As a huge fan of Starmade, I think it's awesome that you built this. Do you have a StarmadeDock account? You should totally upload this to community content.

Now someone needs to build a Wandering Vagrant ship with heat-seekers...

• mageblood

mageblood Big Damn Hero

I do, did not purchase it yet (not that I think it's necessary to do so), may consider doing that.

Challenge accepted, once I finish my anime binge and the Contact Light. I have the perfect idea on how to build it. White Crystal Hull pieces (or glass for low cost), maybe basic/standard White Hull too. Charged Circuits of various colors inside. The problem I would have is making it a usable ship, from what I just thought of (at the time of reading and responding to this), it would be purely for looks (maybe a few missiles). Though, I think I could make something work with some modifications.

Lecic likes this.
                  • mageblood

mageblood Big Damn Hero

An update (been nearly 12 hours since my last post in here, hope it doesn't count as a double post).

I lied. I skipped anime for today and worked more on the UES as well as started on the Wandering Vagrant. Here are the images.
                    UES Updated.png
                    Here is the UES. I moved the escape pods back a little and added a proper entrance. Originally I was going to put the entrance behind the pods, but I decided this made more sense and looked better. Also more efficient for shield/power to fit where you can't see. The cargo can be seen behind it, still being worked on but mostly finished. The major part of the cargo is positioning it properly while still giving space around for the others to fit without overlapping any blocks (but that should be easy enough).

Wandering Vagrant WIP.png
                    This is the beginning of the Wandering Vagrant. Yes, I know there is black hull, I didn't have white on me and my inventory is mostly full for working on the UES. Once that is done, I will fix up the Vagrant. I plan to use the Wandering Vagrant monster log as a reference. If I add the tentacles (or whatever you prefer to call them), it will most likely be 4 instead of 3 (as shown in-game or in the log). The various colors within the 'dome' will have shields and shield regen hidden under various charged circuits. Charged circuits give off a slight glow based on whatever color they are (red, green, blue, and brown seem to be the main colors, may throw in others based on elite colors).

Let me know what you all think of the progress and if I should try building other things from RoR.

Lecic likes this.
                    • TheMugbearer

TheMugbearer Phantasmal Quasar

Aww, thank you! <3 Maybe I will make more, maybe I will.

• mageblood

mageblood Big Damn Hero

Slight update about this.

I have not forgotten about this. I am still on my anime binge, which is actually coming to an end in a few days, and I will continue working on these. Recently I have gotten sick, very rare that it happens but with new windows being installed in the house, I believe there was mold (among other things) flying around in the air when the old ones were removed and that triggered my allergies. Shortly after my allergies kicking me around, I got some sort of cold or whatever and that has been kicking me even more... Seriously, went through 3 tissue boxes in a day, nose all dried and cracked twice (allergies first and now this)... Worse yet, I'm now using a roll of rough paper towels (because that really helps injured noses). If I'm not feeling better by then, I will work on these a lot slower until I am, but I should be better before. No need to worry about me, I am quite durable.

Anyway, remember, if you have any suggestions for what else to build, let me know here and I will think about it and get back to you. Some things I may not have the confidence/skill to build, so some requests/ideas may be turned down. If anyone else has built their own things (RoR related) and don't want to make an entirely new thread, you can post your screenshots here and share them.

Lecic likes this.
                        • Pix

Pix Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thanks man! Gotta love Niko.
                          After you make the Vagrant, you should make miniature One-Man jellyfish Ships :V

:kitten::kitten2::kitten::kitten2:I HAVEN'T BEEN HERE FOR AWHILE, SINCE WHEN WERE THERE KITTEN EMOTES :kitten2::kitten::kitten2::kitten:

• mageblood

mageblood Big Damn Hero

Might try making JellyShips. Can say it will be slightly more difficult being small, but should be doable.

No idea, I never actually looked at the emotes that carefully so I don't remember if/when they had them.

• mageblood

mageblood Big Damn Hero

Thought I would give everyone a slight update on what I plan to do with all of this.

First, I want to say I haven't taken any new images since the last few, and there hasn't been too much done to warrant taking a bunch of images and cropping them to upload. Most of the stuff is done for the UES, as the last images have shown, all I need to do is place all the cargo containers into the proper locations and finish the corridors to each container. Since I have 1 container built (something like 33x33x57 in dimensions), copy/paste (the lag with something that size when pasting :V ) is all that is necessary for that, the corridors shouldn't be a problem to build once I have one side done. As a note, I plan to have the corridors, as well as the walkways in the containers, be 3 blocks thick to allow running various modules through them without being seen. What those modules will be I have not fully decided (thinking at least 1 reactor line each, front to back, for maximum energy generation), but I will get to that when it is pretty much done.

Second, I actually haven't done much to the Wandering Vagrant, but that is because I want to finish the UES first before I get too mixed up with all of it. Once the UES is done, I will continue work on the Vagrant, followed by the Jelly. The jellyfish ships shouldn't be too hard, but being smaller leaves me with more limitations, though I do have ideas (crystal hull layer, regular/charged circuits layer for color/light, hull or some sort of solid wall layer to hide the interior, interior with everything else).

Third, about uploading these to the StarMade Dock. I don't plan on uploading these the instant they are done, rather I may wait a while and make improvements until I am satisfied with them (yes, I know I can just reupload the newer versions, but it's personal preference). When I feel they are decent enough, I will upload them and link them (assuming I have permission to do so, haven't looked into the rules too closely). For the UES, I plan to upload 3 different versions of that, those being:
                              1. A short version of the UES. The control room, the escape pods, and a single group of cargo containers. The containers will be completely empty allowing any who download it to fill it as they feel necessary.
                              2. Full length UES, empty. As seen in the intro, this version will have all 4 of the cargo groups (making a total of 16 containers). The containers can be filled however you want to whatever capacity you want and nothing will be in the way.
                              3. Full length UES, basic supplies. Similar to #2, this one will have shelves and various systems/modules added to each container. The things included will be the generally useful stuff for any StarMade ship to make it viable to fly and fight (to an extent) with. I may decide to place a block of weapons (whatever size fits nicely, as well as whatever type is most useful for the ship) in some containers and connect them to the outer weapons to prevent random cannon/missile/laser fire awkwardly leaving the container it is in when there is no way it should fire through a solid wall.
                              What does everyone think? How's it all sound? Any ideas/suggestions?

Lecic likes this.
                              • The-Wolfster

The-Wolfster Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Damn, this is looking good! I should probably get around to downloading Starmade myself, and I gotta say, seeing a full length UES Contact Light would be amazing! I tried (and failed) to recreate the damn thing in Starbound, but seeing it in all it's 3 dimensional glory would definitely be a sight to behold. I wish you luck on your endeavours!

• Lecic

Lecic Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I made a disposable missile launcher turret today. It's in basic brown hull (closest thing to cardboard) and it fires swarm missiles.

• mageblood

mageblood Big Damn Hero

Hmm, items, I would have never thought of that... May consider tossing some of those in (after the Vagrant at least). You should show us some of your creations at some point.

• mageblood

mageblood Big Damn Hero

An update. Blame my laziness and distraction with Fire Emblem Awakening for the slow work. Here is the UES, currently under construction.

UES Construction.png
                                      Currently, this is nearly complete for the 1st version I planned to upload; the short UES with a single group of containers. All I need to do is finish the back corridors (and remove the grid used for alignment) and it would be ready for upload.

Once that is done, it just needs a little editing and some copy/paste for the 2nd version. Beyond that, the 3rd version, would require more time to place the proper modules to make the ship useful.

No work has been done on the Wandering Vagrant since the post involving it. Jellies haven't been made either. No items have been made or considered.

As a last note: I am kinda burning myself out of StarMade with the constant construction every time I start it (literally all I'm doing is building. No combat training, no flying and shooting pirates down, no pirate encounters at all, no mining, no exploring. Nothing but building. I play with some friends on a server and all I do is craft things and build, adding onto our base). That's sort of why I went on an anime binge, and got distracted with Fire Emblem. Anyway, there you have it, I just want to finish the UES at least before I stop playing StarMade for a while again (if I stop any time soon that is).

Nerva and Lecic like this.
                                      • mageblood

mageblood Big Damn Hero

Update after 2 weeks.

Haven't been doing the greatest thanks to allergies (again). First it was the windows being replaced, now the vents for the air conditioner being cleaned (about 20 years since). On top of my allergies making me feel like crap and not want to do anything, my mother is somewhat sick and her allergies are also getting her. She has also gotten an injury that may require her to go to the doctor if it gets any worse. She is quite durable (like me, that's where I get it from), but we are keeping a close eye on it anyway.

Overall, we are all fine (relatively) and my work on this has been suspended because of everything going on. I apologize to those that were looking forward to everything here, I will get back to work on this soon enough when things calm down (though lets hope carpet cleaning doesn't cause allergy problems as well, otherwise this may take even longer).

In other news, during the time I felt like crap, I have managed to complete Fire Emblem Awakening on Lunatic+ difficulty without cheating (being cheap is another story, such as spending 40+ turns on the prologue just to get a bunch of levels for an early boost that allowed me to win in the end). I will not be going for a 'shortest turn count' challenge on L+ as that will be impossible for me even with a guide. The 'challenge' I will be doing is 100% (including ALL support logs), but that can be done on any difficulty, just that it requires like 40 different playthroughs for every possible support pairing (or ~12 with Action Replay Power Saves; making backups helps a lot).

Lecic likes this.
                                        • mageblood

mageblood Big Damn Hero

Another update.

I'm doing well enough, no allergies bothering me, no injuries (unless you want to count the occasional headache). My mom's injury is fine, no need to see a doctor or anything, though she is stressed from work.

As for the UES, I have done a little work since and (mostly) completed the first version (single cargo, empty). All I need to do is run the power through it and add some shields where space allows, and it should be good enough for upload to the StarMade Dock. For the full length, I realized I miscounted and thought there were 4 groups of cargo; there is actually 5 (total of 20 containers). Not a big difference, just another few copy/pastes are needed to complete that. I am just working on these slowly as I have been sucked into more anime and games, but I will make sure to complete them. Enough people showed interest in this, I don't want to let them down; I just would have liked to finish all this sooner.
                                          The Wandering Vagrant has been sitting beside the UES waiting to be worked on, no progress has been made though since the last image of it. Jellies will be later once the Vagrant is done (who knows how long that will take, but I will try to do it in a more timely manner).

Image uploads to show progress will be done at a later time once the first and second UES are complete. The third will take a while longer (filled with modules and whatnot). If you have suggestions as to what I should put in the cargo (to make it a more viable ship), let me know. I do not plan on being fancy/creative to put a Gundam in one, ponies in the next, providence pixel art, the name of my dog from when I was a child, a maze, or any other things; this is meant to be usable in the game as a viable ship that can withstand heavy fire and be able to retaliate with at least some damage (however minor that may be).

Lecic likes this.