Modding Help Tutorials for custom ship?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Undertale4612, May 4, 2017.

1. Undertale4612

Undertale4612 Void-Bound Voyager

I am working on creating a race for Starbound and now need to build a custom ship for it, but I don't know how and all the tutorials are from 2013 or 2014 so they are way outdated. So I was wondering if anyone knew of any tutorials on how to do that for the newest version of Starbound? And if you know of any mods that help you do that please recommend them, but of course that also leads to a new question, will the ship I create with the mod work with race if I put it on steam or something when people download the mod will they get the custom ship to?

2. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

1. Presumably your custom ship would be included with your race mod, so uploading it to Steam wouldn't work any differently. Only those races you specify in universe_server.config.patch will use your ship in any case.
    2. The process isn't terribly different. An old EK ship is quite different though. The things you old tutorials might lack are the addition of crew but that isn't exactly hard to figure out looking at a vanilla file. It is a single line difference. And some material names are different, but that doesn't change "how" you make ships. blockImages, blockKeys to interpret the blockImages, structure files to place foreGround and backGround images.
    3. I have ship mods you might look at. I also have custom race patches that allow many custom races to use the Shipyard. So you probably have some things to learn from there.

I'll also note many people seem to have the wrong idea. They might decide to forgo a custom ship and use a vanilla ship, so they clone a vanilla ship but rename the folder to their race. They could just as well just direct their race to use whatever vanilla ship without adding the extra bloat. The ship path need not match their racial name. That can all be done in universe_server.config.patch instead of needlessly cloning. A side benefit is then more ship mods would also benefit their race's own ship.

Tool wise I recommend Notepad++ and paint.net

Look at my mods. Look at vanilla ships. I assume you're also looking at racial mods too(even if some do some goofy things like I mentioned). After getting a basic handle, ask away on any specific questions.

One more thing - as far as I know ships aren't going to change with the next coming update - but ultimately I don't know this for a fact.

3. Undertale4612

Undertale4612 Void-Bound Voyager

Wow thank you for the detailed response, this will definitely help! Just one more question though (for now anyways) do you know of any ship building mods that are compatible with the newest version of Starbound? I would say what version it is on but after my 100 some hours of playing the game I still don't know what version it is in lol. Edit : Nevermind about the first question actually but, where are all the ship parts in the assets folder like the fins and things like that I mean. (sorry if this makes no sense I am very tired.)

Last edited: May 5, 2017