Modding Discussion True Space Marines

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Mehridian, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Mehridian

Mehridian Big Damn Hero

Hello Forum, I am about to undertake making Space Marines from the Warhammer 40k Universe as a Race Mod. As such I will be remaining as true to canon as coding within the game allows. I plan on having the race be Male Only (Canon). and about 1-2 blocks(in game measurement) higher than the Human race (Difference between Approx. 5'9" or 1.76 meters to 7'6" or 2.29 meters). I will be working on a new frame and sprite sheet. Due to the change in height none of the regular armors will be included for crafting with this racial mod. about 20 sets of armor will be drawn for the standard space marine, 2 for each tier. Due to the heavy genetic and almost cybernetic augmentations that take place during the first 10 years of the space marine The beginning stats will be over powered, fitting within the canon. If there are contributors that wish to help with sprites / animations / coding, I welcome the criticism and suggestions. Bear in mind that most of the vanity items save for the possibility of hats (?), will not work with this mod based solely on the size of the player character. There may be a way to mod it in the future but that is for a later date and other updates later on down the road. I wanted to know what you guys thought of this project and get some initial input on what I am planning to do. I am excluding Terminator armor and dreadnoughts for the moment. Just getting the initial coding in place will be tricky enough. Thanks in advance for your input.

Xenoti likes this.
  2. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

So this was your secret giant human project.
    Any luck on getting those custom frames to work? I am kind of curious what will happen to the other sprites when you do.

3. Mehridian

Mehridian Big Damn Hero

Yep Looks like there is a way to make the frames work .. just gonna be a lot of custom stuff lol
    Looking at the Mech Frames.... it is possible

4. The | Suit

The code for Mech frames and player sprites are different.
    I am talking about modifying player sprite frame sheet.

5. Mehridian

Mehridian Big Damn Hero

Yes they are ... New sprites will have to be drawn in Paint.net and coordinating the frames from the Mech to work with em should be interesting... lots of trial and error for me for a bit. I cannot mod the sprite sheet ... will have to create a new one

6. The | Suit

No - I mean as I was mentioning before
    The sprites for all player characters are defined here
    Code:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\AssetsUnpacked\humanoid
    using those frame files.
    To use a larger frame you would have to change those frame files to a larger number.
    Code:
    {
      "frameGrid" : {
        "size" : [43, 43],
        "dimensions" : [9, 8],
    This globally effects all races [ or is it affects? ]

7. Mehridian

Mehridian Big Damn Hero

you are correct. If I merge a filename like ... astartesframes.frames into that folder and tell the racemod to use that file for frame animations it "should" work ... test will begin as soon as I have the code lined out.. gonna be a stickman for the test runs and then painting over later

8. The | Suit

Oh wow you do make a valid argument - I never even saw that.
    I feel bad for not even noticing the sprite sheet and frame file naming.

9. Mehridian

Mehridian Big Damn Hero

Don't you made me think about it which is good :)

10. The | Suit

Well you should post your Stick drawing results if you get it too work (or even if it doesn't work )[ From character selection screen and ingame ]
    That will be a boon for others also

11. Mehridian

Mehridian Big Damn Hero

very true and I will.... next update to follow hopefully saturday-ish here (PST)

12. Mehridian

Mehridian Big Damn Hero

Modding will begin as soon as my joy and duty as a father are completed

13. Daimoth

Daimoth Scruffy Nerf-Herder

affects.

Usage: Chillings effects... The cold affects me. But if you stress the A in "affect" you use it similar to the way you'd use the word disease or quality. Example: He was possessed of a peculiar affect (pronounced A-fect, not uh-FECT)

14. Mehridian

Mehridian Big Damn Hero

Testing incomplete still awaiting more testing I'm actually working with a friend of mine on this you still got some other problems to work out we're almost there. What we are testing is how far we can expand those pixels in the allotted space. i coukd not make the custom frames work beacuse of the achitecture. you have to work within that pixel allotment for characters. you were right

15. Mehridian

Mehridian Big Damn Hero

So in trying to expand the pixels beyond the normal size limit... just increasing the size of the toons by 1 pixel all away around ... it would not let me get to character creation as I do not have clothes to modify/paint. so it looks like I am going to have to come up with clothes for each test run.

16. Mehridian

Mehridian Big Damn Hero

looks like I am going to see if the devs have anything to assist on this one

17. Mehridian

Mehridian Big Damn Hero

Does anyone know a way to make a bigger player character. I have been trying over the weekend and during my breaks at work, and I cannot seem to make it work, I added pixels onto the malebody.png (Whatever-it-is) file and I could not test it out because there are no options for clothing or coloration.. is there line of code I can remove or edit that would eliminate the need to customize the character before play testing it. Any help would be good here my friend and I are working on this mostly in our spare time which is more spare for me being a father of 3, worker, student, and husband. Once again, any help would be appreciated.

I am pretty certain that they are not using all the pixels allotted for the area. if I can find a way to make them bigger and rotate on the proper body parts, I think I may be in business. Questions, Comments, accusations?

18. The | Suit

I accuse you of not being the real Gordon Freeman- your head is too big and your body is way to small. Your just an imposter wannabe!

===
    Instead of testing on a custom race by hand - that has no clothing options.
    Simply download a custom race mod and replace it with your sprites so you get clothing options already made for you [ though they won't fit - it doesn't matter ]

or put your sprite sheet on a vanilla existing race.

19. Mehridian

Mehridian Big Damn Hero

I tried :( I got the game loaded up properly but when I go to select the race it says some fatal exception took place and crashed.... I just thought that I should be removing my other mods before I test my race mod :facepalm:

20. Mehridian

Mehridian Big Damn Hero

Since the collision is pixel perfect it may not be liking the fact that the player has pixels outside the clothing.