tree planting finer details

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hexprone, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Hexprone

Hexprone Space Penguin Leader

The wiki seems incomplete on the growth of forest trees -- maple, oak and pine.

The wiki says you have to keep a radius clear around them or they won't grow, just like fruit trees. But that's not exactly true, is it? From what I've seen, trees will grow to maturity even surrounded by grass -- and they'll grow to sapling height (but no further) even standing right next to another tree.

What exactly are the rules on this?

Also, what is their season? I planted a maple seed in winter then accidentally dug it up again in spring. The game wouldn't let me re-plant the maple in spring, giving me an "out of season" message.

• Sun][

Sun][ Void-Bound Voyager

Wild trees could be planted in any season. You get message "out of season" when you are trying to plant in into hoed soil.
      They do grow when surrounded by something but it takes much more time. I, unfortunately can not say how long exactly, for me it looks like completely random, for me to grow one of my trees taken about whole year to fully grow, when it was surrounded by cobblestone path tiles.

• Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

I have observed in my own farm that trees surrounded by grass, will grow much faster, than those surrounded by other trees. It can happen, it just takes a very long time. I am afraid I have not been thorough on my observations, and thus cannot exactly comfirm any estimated time for their growth.

• Aemi

Aemi Starship Captain

The fruit trees need a full area clear around them or they wont grow. wild trees are much more forgiving though their growth time is a little skewed. I have found some trees that grew in a matter of a month and others that STILL haven't come up fully even when planted at the same time.

• Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

I am not entirely sure how long it takes, but I ve found trees on my farm without me even noticing the saplings, I am at summer 15th and theres at least 8 new trees surrounding my house, where there was nothing 2 in-game weeks ago.

• Aemi

Aemi Starship Captain

you get that too?
              I was wandering down in the southern half of my farm and a rammed face first into a tree that was NOT there last time I checked and was all "wtf.... when did THAT get there?!"

• Caudyr

Caudyr Black Hole Surfer

Erm...do you mean that they will grow in the space RIGHT NEXT to another tree? Or do you mean the "one space gap"?

I've always acted under the assumption that you had to go with a 1 space gap (XYXYXYX with X being trees and Y being spaces)...but if I could go with no gaps (XXXXXXXXXXXX).............................................madness will be coming. :3

• Hexprone

Has anyone had any success planting trees right next to water? I placed a couple of maples right at the edge of the smaller pond, and they didn't sprout when other trees I planted on the same day did.

• zoeevee

zoeevee Zero Gravity Genie

I have a bunch of pine trees growing right next to each other (XXXXXX)

• Hexprone

You can plant them right next to each other and they'll grow -- but they won't grow past sapling height if there's a full-size tree next to them. When you cut down the full-size tree, the sapling next to it will then finish growing.

(I don't know what happens if you plant two tree seeds next to each other on the same day -- do both grow, or does the one you planted a few seconds earlier reach full height a little sooner thus blockinmg the other, or what)

Marak likes this.
                      • Caudyr

Caudyr Black Hole Surfer

I don't think the trees will grow mid-day, will they? They only advance stages and stuff like that between days while you sleep, don't they?
                        Iiiiiiiiiiinteresting. :3

• zoeevee

I don't know if that's right. I have a forest on my farm that is completely (XXXXX) with trees. They seem to grow just fine next to eachother. Of course I'm not waiting eagerly for them to finish growing so I haven't kept track of how long they take. I think it takes a while. But they do grow right next to each other.

• uberlobster

uberlobster Void-Bound Voyager

I had success growing three trees between a silo and the edge of the farm. It's been a while since I read the wiki but I thought it mentioned the rate of growth is decreased if the surrounding 8 spaces are not empty - which is true.

• Caudyr

Caudyr Black Hole Surfer

Well, that's fine...as long as I can do that. TIME TO MAKE TREE WALLS! :rofl:

• uberlobster

uberlobster Void-Bound Voyager

I didn't even think of tree walls... Such an obvious solution to a problem I solved with silos... Oh well, I don't have to replenish my hay as often.

• Caudyr

Caudyr Black Hole Surfer

Well, I didn't mean in place of fences, heh...

I just meant like...this! https://stardew.info/planner/0b4490a6-c6f1-45a1-9c83-f81d499cc48a/ (bottom left, heh).

Now if only you could actually pick up the spores for the Giant Mushrooms and they didn't show up as simply being weeds...I could make one of those walls a mushroom wall! :rofl:

• Hexprone

Interesting -- I've often noticed trees remaining at the sapling stage for a long time when next to another tree and then immediately becoming full-size when that tree is gone, but I guess that can be explained by delayed growth rates as well.

However, there may be an element of chance in this as well. On the steam forum, there was a thread where a guy mentioned he'd planted a tree that didn't sprout, dug it up and replanted it, and it sprouted right away. I don't have any experience to confirm this, though.

I just really want to have my trees next to the pond, so I'm anxious!

• zoeevee

I grew all my tapper trees next to the pond! It looks really nice and is easy to harvest on my way down where ever.

Hexprone likes this.
                                      • Don Leo

Don Leo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

At first I thought the trees were to be placed like this T _ _ T _ _ T _ _ T _ _ T but that's only for fruit ones.

I changed my tree farm to be T _ T _ T _ T _ T and they grew but they all grow at different rates regardless of what is next to them. Some trees grow faster than others. I think there's some RNG involved between each growth step, like a chance for the tree to grow or not grow that is completely random

Marak and Hexprone like this.
                                        • metalax

metalax Subatomic Cosmonaut

No, the wiki doesn't say they won't grow if the surrounding tiles are not kept clear. To quote from the wiki;

For those people who have said they have had trees grow to full size directly adjacent to each other;
                                          1, are you using any mods?
                                          2, did they grow to full size on the same day?
                                          3, have you had any grow to full size when next to an already full size tree?

I have never seen this happen despite having saplings next to full grown trees for many years.