Tree breeding

Discussion in 'Blocks and Crafting' started by voliol, Nov 19, 2014.

1. voliol

voliol Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't know whether this is on the to-do list already, but you should be able to breed trees somehow (to get seeds with traits from different trees). Possibly some fusing table where you could put mysterious seeds in two slots and then fuse them to create a seed with leaves from one of the "parents" and trunk from the other. This would not only be useful for getting custom trees, but also for easily being able to create things like mushroom-farms(as mushroom caps only drop 1 seed).

2. Warped Perspectiv

Warped Perspectiv Pangalactic Porcupine

Would this add anything to gameplay other than being able to plant different types of trees?

Rinyrinri likes this.
  3. Zouleena

Zouleena Pangalactic Porcupine

Well, for we builders, maybe blending tree species would create various wood colours/patterns... maybe even various fruit-bearing trees. Think Pear-apples, and green wood with metallic silver stripes running through it? Even if it's not in the core game, I think a talented Modder could come up with something dandy!
    :redpanda:

4. TakaStoryXx

TakaStoryXx Starship Captain

this could not only add to the builders arsenal it might be also awesome that the fruits combine and make exotic fruits that have special effects.

5. SqualidMisnomer

SqualidMisnomer Pangalactic Porcupine

Yeah, I really like this idea. Support!
    Maybe not to the extent that programming this would take months and months, but to an extent that it was interesting and added to the game.

I know that Tiy is extremely keen to add a more advanced concept of farming (both plants+animals) so I'm sure he'd be incredibly interested in something similar to this.
    =]

6. Noir Korrane

Noir Korrane Pangalactic Porcupine

i love this idea.

7. HI-MAX²

HI-MAX² Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well, seeing that this game will have a path for farmers is quite likely that in a future update we have a system similar to that seen in some Harvest Moon games where we can make hybrid seeds to create more valuable products.

8. Roselle

Roselle Pangalactic Porcupine

Resurrecting old thread with good ideas. Ahem.

Since we already have apple pears in real life, I am really missing the presence of hybrids in Starbound. I also don't understand why fruit trees aren't in the game. I mean, apples--come on!

Speaking of apples and crafting, there used to be at least two more cooking recipes that used apples. Not sure why they've been removed!

So, yes, tree breeding would mean a lot more than just prettifying builds. The system could include a means of extracting seeds from produce (as if that should require a special tool...).

9. nomad ninga

nomad ninga Star Wrangler

yes i like this idea