1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Translating the Agaran.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by ChatNoir, Apr 25, 2017.

1. ChatNoir

ChatNoir Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I thought it would be cool to translate some of the agaran words. Hope you can take a little time of your life to join me. :) Check out some agaran quotes here http://starbounder.org/Agaran (scroll down the page)
    Here's my contribution: Hairthing seems the way they call the Apex. Same goes for squishfish (hylotl), sillypeck(avian), clankbeast(glitch) and meathabble(human). Also hoom probably translates to some sort of hello or hi.

Also funfact: by using logic you can clearly see that they are talking about the war between the florans and hylotl when you talk to them using these two races. However, they don't have spaceships as seen in the wiki so..It's unknown how they know that since they clearly can't understand what the other races say (neither can do the races translate what they say). What do you guys think?

2. YellowDemonHurlr

YellowDemonHurlr Ketchup Robot

ChatNoir likes this.
  3. Tlactl

Tlactl Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If you are taking about words, lets start with "hoom" "nab" and "chop" since they use those quite frequently, and as for sentences I have a few ideas already

"Halhalhoom! Tentacrush weepa no meat."
    probably refers to Earth getting destroyed by the tentacles

"Hoom flap! Bizarra no Kluex fry!"
    I always thought this meant how they think its strange that Avians can't fly

"Hoom habba flap flap, deka nab peck?"
    Just sounds like racism towards Avians

"Kissface plant nab cutshroom, squishfish. Threaten!"
    Talking to a Hylotl, could be talking about how they were attacked by a Floran earlier and they're threatening the player because they are unsure if you are passive

ChatNoir likes this.
  4. NuclearSlayer52

NuclearSlayer52 Phantasmal Quasar

they seem to be Florans but alot less agressive to things but also not translatable through technology

trying to translate things into english stuff though it seems
    "Kissface plant nab cutshroom, squishfish. Threaten!" becomes "Floran attacked Agaran, Hylotl. Scared!" or similar but the words will sometimes be similar to the word or like Threaten=Scared being something meaning something similar

"Kissface plant! Nab halb squishfish!" could if above isnt right be "Floran! Help kill Hylotl!" as on the wiki it says for the intro "The automated translators fail to parse the chattering, but the Hylotl know. 'Find them,' the voices are saying. 'Find the fish people.'" making it seem they dont like them but it could also translate to "Floran! Dont Hurt Hylotl" if it follows that words are weird orders between translations making "Kissface plant nab cutshroom, squishfish. Threaten!" mean "Floran hate Agaran, Hylotl. Threaten!" as in floran threaten agaran

Florans seem to be plants (leaves) while Agarans seem to be fungi (mushrooms) and itd make sense to have Florans hate Agarans while Agaran dont hate Florans so last translation makes sense with this though youd have to do this for every word

ChatNoir likes this.
  5. WallyBW93

WallyBW93 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Actually I think they are trying to speak English like...

"kissface plant nab mushroom,squishfish. Threaten!" Is probably just "Floran not Mushroom, Hylotl." In a angry or scared manner. Which could possibly mean Hylotl often confuse the two races lol. Which means they are just simple lines with a few mixed up letters and since these guys seem to primitive and nearly nonsensical the creators may of thrown in a few words that have no meaning.

Which the link someone posted basically confirms my suspicion.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
    ChatNoir likes this.
  6. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

I just figured that Agaran language was almost entirely garbled due to vague similarities to the already badly translated Floran (wouldn't whatever translation system they're using make it sound non-hissy?). I mean, translating Agaran as we see it in-game seems like attempting to deduce the original plot of Star Wars from The Backstroke of the West.

ChatNoir likes this.