1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Trains?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by pher01, Jun 27, 2017.

1. pher01

pher01 Void-Bound Voyager

Everyday i play Starbound or when i do i think to myself why are there no trains in the game nor a mod for them they would be so useful for traveling multiple people and items on freight cars and passenger cars plus it would be cool if you could have normal trains and battle trains for example down below.[​IMG]

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Because their use is limited and ultimately inconsequential. having some sort of cart to carry items would be cool and all, but that idea is killed by the fact that they would stop moving just off screen because of the unloading of chunks.

3. pher01

Wait a moment why or how should that happen trams can be called from way off screen but when I mean carrying items u would most likey be the one driving which the items would be moving in one of the carts with u so how would they be offscreen?

4. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

If the tram comes, then it wasn't off screen enough to be unloaded.

And I thought you were referring to like Minecraft like from minecraft.

5. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

I don't exactly see why anybody would use trains, other than somebody thinking they would look nice in their base. It's already very easy to move materials and players by using teleporters or putting stuff in your inventory and using a hoverbike.

6. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

Trams aren't usually outside of functional render distance when players/NPCs use them. So they function within that range.

I think trains would imply transport and travel on much larger scales that would, inevitably, fall outside of rendered functionality.
    (If actual trains were to be added, in my opinion, they would likely necessitate that level of range to be relevant over trams anyways.)

7. Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

That Kabaner train design is so fucking metal. Would love to see something like that in SB

8. scaper12123

scaper12123 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Planets are too small to make this useful, and like everybody says the way this game renders chunks of the game makes this unviable without completely rewriting how the game loads stuff in

9. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

How would a battle train be practical?

10. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

atleast you got the novakid train ship.

zzzx and Bake like this.
  11. pher01

running over enemies that get in the way :rofl:

12. pher01

i would still like to see the nova kid and glitch at least ride freaking robotic horses they look so good

13. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

same here.

14. IonTichy

IonTichy Master Chief

Is there any way to determine how far the functional render distance extends exactly (in terms of blocks)?

15. Brockster17

Brockster17 Phantasmal Quasar

If you have the Explorer Pods mod and you buy a Novakid Explorer pod, and you stay close to flat ground, you got yourself a hover train.

16. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

While trains would be a bit cumbersome to add, and have the issue of render distance, some sort of cargo trams could be definitely useful.

17. florinblain

florinblain Subatomic Cosmonaut

You can actually see it for yourself if you edit your player.config and set zoom to 1.