1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Towns on Volcanic planets get destroyed by fire and I get blamed!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Ryan_123, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Ryan_123

Ryan_123 Void-Bound Voyager

I was on a volcanic planet and found a Floran town and it started raining fire. Their houses started catching fire and burning to the ground and every NPC that was nearby started blaming me, and a few seconds later they were all shooting at me! Is this intentional? It was rather hilarious, but you really can't do any NPC quests on these planets since they'll hate you as soon as it rains.

It happened on a second volcanic planet with an Apex town, most of their buildings were safe from fire rain but a few have wooden balconies exposed to the sky. I tried paving over these to protect them, but then a meteor storm happened and their buildings were really taking heavy damage and then they blamed me again!

No wonder these planets are considered really dangerous.. but these towns are impossible, they don't survive a day on these worlds, so how can they have survived before I get there?

2. Lintton

Lintton Guest

They were doing just fine until you showed up. /deep.

Maybe this has something to do with how block destruction isn't assigned to a player, so the populace just blames whoever's player is in eyesight. best to make a bug report just in case.

evilnancyreagan likes this.
  3. Ryan_123

Haha, true. For all I know the planet never rained fire or meteors until I arrived. What's the best way to make bug reports?

4. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

you were the messanger of doom, it must all be your fault.

but yes a very annying thing that those get generated on volcanic planets. how many hyotl and glitch villages I saw burning down and all tats fro some neon melons.

5. Lintton

Lintton Guest

6. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

AFAIK, picking up blocks within sight of a guard, appears to be what triggers it. That or blocks being uprooted within sight of a guard.

Should test that sometime, drop some dirt blocks or something near a guard and then pick them up and see if he attacks you. Then, place some dirt and then try to pick the dirt back up and see if he attacks you, etc.

And yeah, I already reported this during the Nightly phase, almost a month ago lol.

I think the easiest solution would be to put a dungeon generator in the glitch villages since they tend to build on planets that have block-destructive weather.

7. Ryan_123

Thank you Xylia, glad to hear it's already reported.

One solution is to just delete the world file for the destroyed planet so it gets regenerated intact. Then I just quickly place a layer of obsidian along the sky to protect the place and it's solved! Too bad they won't thank me for saving them :)

8. Esev

Esev Void-Bound Voyager

A couple os hours ago I was on a volcanic planet and there was a large group of humans camping in an outise flat area... It was so funny and weird at the same time. I didn't stay there to see what a meteor shower would do.

9. evilnancyreagan

evilnancyreagan Pangalactic Porcupine

hahahaha oh man, this is why procgen can be such a great thing. That couldn't have worked out more hilariously if it were scripted, even.

10. Lusid

Lusid Pangalactic Porcupine

If you aren't on the planet/in the town, it won't get rained on. The first game where the NPC's break the fourth wall and know this fact. Take the same advice as some super heroes should take: Your collateral damage is substantial. We appreciate your heart is in the right place but go away.

Joke aside, seems like an oversight. Will likely get fixed once it comes to their attention.

11. SamuFinland

SamuFinland Phantasmal Quasar

Hey, I got blamed for stealing by accidentally breaking a pot when protecting an unarmed NPC!

I'm glad they didn't start a total war over it.

12. Ryan_123

And when you look at that that pot it says something about how you want to just break it. Your conscience is just evil!

13. TheFloranChef

TheFloranChef Giant Laser Beams

Well, that's what happens when you live in a simulation. Things don't exist until you look at them.

On a totally unrelated subject, did you see this quantum mechanics experiment they did irl?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...cks-theory-reality-doesn-t-exist-look-it.html

14. Ryan_123

Weird.. That means that until my friends observe me, I'm in a superposition also?

15. TheFloranChef

TheFloranChef Giant Laser Beams

Actually, I wouldn't describe it in the same way. I think the question is if something is being interacted with and not if somebody is looking. And to look at it you need to interact with it. Also, this was done in the quantum level. Macroscopic objects are always interacting with something, even if it's another part of themselves (heat, for example). So the wave function collapses and they can't be in a superposition.

Back on topic, if they don't correct cases like this, I hope they at least add some funny lines like: "Hi, are you here to celebrate our new village? We just finished building it." And then a meteor strikes. :nuruhappy:

16. Zinerith

Zinerith Cosmic Narwhal

YES! It should be a dialogue option that only happens on planets with fiery or meteor rain!

17. Ryan_123

Haha, plus making them not blame you unless you're actually the one destroying their town. Just like they don't blame you when a monster is attacking them. It'd be really awesome if they could detect the bad weather and yell for help "Our village is burning!" or "Fire!". Then it'd be super awesome if they could actually rebuild!

It's also annoying on planets with sandstorms that the sand collects and you have to manually dig it out super carefully so you can open doors again. It'd be nice if the townfolk swept up (given the intro shows a guy sweeping up leaves, why aren't there people cleaning up their own towns).